ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 25th September 2020, 06:37 AM   #2361
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Small point - he was not an injured protestor but still no more deserving of such treatment. The "good cops" that would have reported or, at least, remonstrated with him must have been elsewhere.
Much repeated but never cited. You say he's not injured and is doing some sort of passive resistance stunt. I trust you have evidence for this claim.

Earlier video shows the man on the ground and cops barking at street medic types to get back. Hard to say if injured or not. https://twitter.com/WarlockBranis/st...707983872?s=19
Old 25th September 2020, 08:48 AM   #2362
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Well, its OK then.
Apparently, assault is perfectly acceptable as long as the victim is wearing the appropriate safety gear.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:34 AM   #2363
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Much repeated but never cited. You say he's not injured and is doing some sort of passive resistance stunt. I trust you have evidence for this claim.

Earlier video shows the man on the ground and cops barking at street medic types to get back. Hard to say if injured or not. https://twitter.com/WarlockBranis/st...707983872?s=19
I, categorically, said he wasn't injured, no more, no less and no hint of his motivation. The words " passive", "resistance" & "stunt" do not exist in my post.

I'm not sure what his motivation was but can guess that your version looks fairly accurate from the video. Play it through slowly and you can see him lowering himself to the ground in the final act of prostrating himself as he comes in to view.

Please be aware I'm not remotely interested in a long protracted back and forth with you over this "small point". If you think I'm some sort of cop fan.........

Last edited by bluesjnr; 25th September 2020 at 10:56 AM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:57 AM   #2364
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I, categorically, said he wasn't injured, no more, no less and no hint of his motivation. The words " passive", "resistance" & "stunt" do not exist in my post.

I'm not sure what his motivation was but can guess that your version looks fairly accurate from the video. Play it through slowly and you can see him lowering himself to the ground in the final act of prostrating himself as he comes in to view.

Please be aware I'm not remotely interested in a long protracted back and forth with you over this "small point". If you think I'm some sort of cop fan.........
Ok, so you don't know, and neither do I, that this person wasn't injured.

You know as well as I that right wingers online are asserting that this guy wasn't injured without a lick of evidence. If isn't the case, post a link.

Not that it really matters as to whether it's acceptable for a cop to intentionally assault a face down protestor

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 25th September 2020 at 10:59 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 02:25 PM   #2365
chrispy
Muse

You know as well as I that right wingers online are asserting that this guy wasn't injured without a lick of evidence. If isn't the case, post a link.

Not that it really matters as to whether it's acceptable for a cop to intentionally assault a face down protestor
*Boom* ...mic drop
Old 25th September 2020, 02:27 PM   #2366
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, I thought bluesjnr made it pretty clear he thought the issue of injury irrelevant to the assertion that the cop did wrong.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 03:04 PM   #2367
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
*Boom* ...mic drop
Really?

Would you care to explain how and in what way I was shut up?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 25th September 2020 at 03:10 PM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 03:05 PM   #2368
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
To be fair, I thought bluesjnr made it pretty clear he thought the issue of injury irrelevant to the assertion that the cop did wrong.
Thank you.
Old 25th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #2369
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Has this one been discussed? Blond, all-American teenager shot while reversing his car out of his parents' garage, after the police were called to check on his safety in relation to some online posts he had just made. He had ADHD and it seems that there were fears that he might be a suicide risk.

So the cops shot him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54290575
Old 25th September 2020, 04:48 PM   #2370
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Has this one been discussed? Blond, all-American teenager shot while reversing his car out of his parents' garage, after the police were called to check on his safety in relation to some online posts he had just made. He had ADHD and it seems that there were fears that he might be a suicide risk.

So the cops shot him.

And the cop got $70,000 out of it.

Not bad for a few minutes work. No wonder it's so popular with the cop tribe.

And his friends, who called 911 for help to make sure he was okay ... I guess they won't make that mistake again.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:32 PM   #2371
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

So the cops shot him.

I wish there were broader coverage on other groups who might suffer from institutionalized violence, particularly the mentally ill. Fatal shootings involving black people seem to automatically gain traction as there is an organization that mobilizes to organize protests, often within hours. I'd like to see if there's a similar group that does this for the mentally ill. Not up for the research tonight but the National Alliance on Mental Illness would be a good place to start.

If you're black *and* mentally ill you're in real trouble.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 03:55 AM   #2372
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And the cop got $70,000 out of it.

Not bad for a few minutes work. No wonder it's so popular with the cop tribe.

And his friends, who called 911 for help to make sure he was okay ... I guess they won't make that mistake again.
Should be enough for the police officer to get a new tattoo or his badge altered.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #2373
erlando
Graduate Poster

So the cops shot him.

I truly fail to understand why armed police are being sent to check on someone's mental health. It seems pretty obvious that sending someone armed with no specific training to handle mental health issues to "check" on a possibly outward reacting person having an incident is destined to end badly. Especially when that armed someone have been given the "I feared for my life"-pass to shoot anyone remotely threatening.

Damn....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events