ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM   #1281
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
That you are confusing yourself by conflating two disparate discussions is not my problem
I'm really not. But I'm not going to get into a tedious "arguing about arguing" thread. If you can't follow a simple conversation, then that's not on me.

Quote:
Utter straw man - none of my posts say anything about a "promised goal of total elimination"
That's what the 80% figure refers to.

Quote:
That's hilarious. Your counter to my statement "the app and the data it gathers is next to useless" is to quote an article entitled
"A new study has called into question the efficacy of coronavirus contact-tracing apps.
Scientists cast doubt on effectiveness of coronavirus contact-tracing apps
The much-hyped tools have yet to prove their effectiveness, a study shows.".
If only there were more to articles than headlines, eh?

Quote:
My argument is that it is throwing good money after bad as the real-life experiences are that populations are not taking them up and any data gathered has not been shown to be effective for tracing.
How much money do you think would be saved by abandoning the app now?

Quote:
At least human contact tracing has been shown to be effective. Fix that and you have a system that works. Concentrate on something that is shown to work and (like most other countries) drop the reliance on apps that are just not going to do the task.
Why do you think it has to be either the app or human contact tracing?

Quote:
Again, you seem to be ferociously agreeing with me.
You don't seem to be able to even remain consistent in what you claim that sentence is talking about in the same post.

Again, if you can't keep track of a simple conversation, then that's not on me.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM   #1282
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

In news that will shock nobody.

despite the press release from 23rd August
Quote:
Press release
Study finds very low numbers of COVID-19 outbreaks in schools
Public Health England detected just 67 single cases and 30 outbreaks (defined as 2 or more linked cases) in schools across England in June.
For some reason, now that schools have reopened properly, they are driving the outbreak:

From https://assets.publishing.service.go...k_39_FINAL.pdf
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM   #1283
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
For some reason, now that schools have reopened properly, they are driving the outbreak:
With care homes and restaurants second and third.
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #1284
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This will be my last post on Icke, but I thought it might be instructional to post the 1991 "Logan" interview where he first shot into the mainstream as a conspiracy theorist, rather than the goalkeeper/TV presenter he was previously famous as:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This is pre-Reptilians, pre-global conspiracy, pre-Rothchilds running the Illuminati. The highlights are:
  • He says he's wearing turquoise because it attracts love and wisdom because it's the same frequency as those emotions emanating from the "Godhead", and that you shouldn't wear black because it attracts the opposite emotions, put into the world by the devil.
  • He confirms he's the son of God, and compares himself to Jesus.
  • When you think you create an electrical field, which is how telepathy works.
  • He compares himself to Jesus a second time.
  • He says that everybody has been reincarnated many times.
  • He claims Saddam Hussain is dead, as revealed to him by the same beings that revealed everything else. He predicts that Hussain's death will be covered up by either an imminent announcement of his death, or by an announcement that he's gone in to exile. Hussain actually died 12 years later.
  • There will be massive global earthquakes and tidal waves, starting that year, without which the Earth will be destroyed. This page defines "great earthquake" as being 8 or higher on the Richter scale, and this list of earthquakes has 5 out of 35 of the largest earthquakes in history (8.5 or higher) occurring after 1991. None in 1991. None of the three earthquakes listed in 1991 rise to 8 (7.7, 7.0, 5.6), and this page of links to lists of earthquakes by year doesn't even list 1991 as being significant. Here is a list of all 7 earthquakes in 1991 deemed significant, none of which are greater than the above-mentioned 7.7.

It's actually curious to look back on all that and see how mild and mainstream his views back then seemed, when compared to what they would mutate in to.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; Yesterday at 05:47 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #1285
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think workplace is third on that chart, not restaurants.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #1286
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

care homes and work
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #1287
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

You're both right. It's difficult to tell because the colours are similar. Either way, it's somewhere that the government have been pushing people to go in to in 1st and 3rd, with somewhere they've been neglecting in second.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #1288
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I think workplace is third on that chart, not restaurants.

What about workplace “canteens” as the government decided bars in HoC were canteens...

(They’ve now spontaneously said they will close at 10pm.)
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #1289
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What about workplace “canteens” as the government decided bars in HoC were canteens...

(They’ve now spontaneously said they will close at 10pm.)
Opening time 10:01pm?
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #1290
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Meeting others in pubs to be illegal in North East

Lockdown restrictions in north-east England are to be tightened in a bid to halt the rise in Covid-19 cases.

The tougher measures will affect about two million people and were announced by Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

He said mixing between households in any indoor setting, such as pubs and restaurants, will be against the law from Wednesday.

Households in the region had already been advised to avoid mixing but the new ban will be enforced with fines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54331421
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #1291
EHocking
Philosopher

I'm really not. But I'm not going to get into a tedious "arguing about arguing" thread. If you can't follow a simple conversation, then that's not on me.

Quote:
That's what the 80% figure refers to.
And that was your claim (citing the model) not mine.

MY argument is (and was always from the outset) that the 80% claim is head-in-the-clouds wishful thinking when in the real world, countries are lucky to get a 30% download of an app.
Quote:
If only there were more to articles than headlines, eh?

How much money do you think would be saved by abandoning the app now?

Why do you think it has to be either the app or human contact tracing?
Because one method (human) has been demonstrated to work and the other (app) Has not
Quote:
You don't seem to be able to even remain consistent in what you claim that sentence is talking about in the same post.

Again, if you can't keep track of a simple conversation, then that's not on me.
I love irony,me.
...But I'm not going to get into a tedious "arguing about arguing" thread...
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #1292
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Here is a page on Icke's own website, which links to this article about how coronavirus was planned, is targeted, and serves as a form of control and population reduction.

Yeah, did you click on it? Your sentence is only true in the sense of "coronavirus" as an event, not a virus. It screams "it's a fake", like I said, not "it's a bioweapon from Israel that works on 5G to kill everybody but the lizards" or whatever you dreamt-up from snippets you've read. The stuff in the first London Real interview was mostly tagged as research-in-development by him, and from interview two on he had the stance he carries on till present day.

Now can you give it a rest? Nobody disagrees that David Icke has some extremely far-out believes, and me posting his speech at Saturday's big event in London was no statement about the truthfulness of his clains (there or anywhere in his career). Jeez.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; Yesterday at 04:00 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #1293
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Jon Snow laying in to Hancock last year over Brexit.

It is still true today over both Brexit and Covid!

"Nobody in the country knows what's going on, nobody in there (parliament) knows what's going on, and you know nothing about what's going on even inside the cabinet. The cabinet's at sea, the country is at sea ... we are a laughing stock!"

Video in link

https://twitter.com/Barcajim3/status...70512465555456

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 04:06 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #1294
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

“You know nothing.” Jon Snow.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #1295
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Enhanced measures in the North East of England.

Quote:
Households in Newcastle, Northumberland, Gateshead, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Sunderland and the County Durham council area had already been advised to avoid mixing but the new ban will be enforced with fines.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54336735

Before the 1974 boundary changes, inhabitants of Barnard Castle could have worked around the restrictions by walking across the bridge into Startforth and having a drink in the White Swan.

The article highlights the confusion caused by having local restrictions - national restrictions are much easier to communicate and enforce IMO, especially in a small country like the UK where it's so quick and easy to move between population centres.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:47 AM   #1296
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Meeting others in pubs to be illegal in North East

Lockdown restrictions in north-east England are to be tightened in a bid to halt the rise in Covid-19 cases.

The tougher measures will affect about two million people and were announced by Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

He said mixing between households in any indoor setting, such as pubs and restaurants, will be against the law from Wednesday.

Households in the region had already been advised to avoid mixing but the new ban will be enforced with fines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54331421
In otherwords not enforced.
Old Today, 02:08 AM   #1297
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

And that was your claim (citing the model) not mine.

MY argument is (and was always from the outset) that the 80% claim is head-in-the-clouds wishful thinking when in the real world, countries are lucky to get a 30% download of an app.
Yes, dear. Now, if you're that keen on re-hashing arguments, why don't you go back and read the conversation that we actually had about this?

Quote:
Because one method (human) has been demonstrated to work and the other (app) Has not
That didn't answer any of the questions I asked you.
Old Today, 02:11 AM   #1298
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Yeah, did you click on it? Your sentence is only true in the sense of "coronavirus" as an event, not a virus. It screams "it's a fake", like I said, not "it's a bioweapon from Israel that works on 5G to kill everybody but the lizards" or whatever you dreamt-up from snippets you've read. The stuff in the first London Real interview was mostly tagged as research-in-development by him, and from interview two on he had the stance he carries on till present day.
You have to look at everything in context with everything else, rather than looking at every little thing in isolation and pretending that there is no connection.

The fact that he uses the words "cult" or "psychopaths" doesn't mean that he's not still talking about the reptilians.

Quote:
Now can you give it a rest? Nobody disagrees that David Icke has some extremely far-out believes, and me posting his speech at Saturday's big event in London was no statement about the truthfulness of his clains (there or anywhere in his career). Jeez.
I mean, you literally did call an accurate outlining of his beliefs, accompanied by quotes a "strawman", but whatever. You seem to have decided that you will quietly drop him as a figurehead after all, which is what I initially advised you do to. Glad you've caught up to the rest of us.
Old Today, 02:14 AM   #1299
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Enhanced measures in the North East of England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54336735

Before the 1974 boundary changes, inhabitants of Barnard Castle could have worked around the restrictions by walking across the bridge into Startforth and having a drink in the White Swan.

The article highlights the confusion caused by having local restrictions - national restrictions are much easier to communicate and enforce IMO, especially in a small country like the UK where it's so quick and easy to move between population centres.
Local restrictions are a good idea, but they need the epidemic to be under control, clear messaging and leadership, extensive and robust testing and contact tracing, and the population on board because they understand what's going on and can see that the country's leadership are in it with them.
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #1300
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of messaging, if the ad I heard yesterday is anything to go by, the government's new slogan appears to be "Hands. Face. Space.", or possibly "Wash Hands. Cover Face. Make Space." The latter is better, but featured once in the advert, while the former featured twice.
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #1301
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

You have to look at everything in context with everything else, rather than looking at every little thing in isolation and pretending that there is no connection.

I mean, you literally did call an accurate outlining of his beliefs, accompanied by quotes a "strawman", but whatever. You seem to have decided that you will quietly drop him as a figurehead after all, which is what I initially advised you do to. Glad you've caught up to the rest of us.

Old Today, 02:23 AM   #1302
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Local restrictions are a good idea, but they need the epidemic to be under control, clear messaging and leadership, extensive and robust testing and contact tracing, and the population on board because they understand what's going on and can see that the country's leadership are in it with them.
Oh well, none out of four isn't bad

Looking (very) locally to me. I live in an area where cases are very low next to areas where cases are high and yet people seem reluctant to follow the rules regarding social distancing - particularly in pubs, restaurants and the like. People in the village are still mixing in each others houses telling themselves that it's OK because no-one locally has Covid-19.

It's really, really, easy to slip back into bad habits, to not wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, to be a little bit blasé about when you put on your mask and how careful you are about touchpoints like door handles, car steering wheel and so on.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #1303
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. Icke says that 5G was installed by Jewish cults to spread coronavirus, and he also says that Israel released coronavirus as a targeted bioweapon, and he also says that coronavirus was released to reduce the population, but it's absolutely kooky to join the dots to say that he believes that Israel uses 5G to spread the targeted bioweapon coronavirus in order to reduce the population. They're all completely different statements that have zero relevance to each other or any kind of connection at all.

Well, whatever mental gymnastics you need to perform in order to keep thinking of him as a credible source of information, I suppose.
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #1304
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Shouldn’t the UK use the faster, cheaper, proven Covid tests about to be rolled out across the world rather than trying to develop our own?

Of course they should, but there would be no money for Tory donors or Boris Johnson's brother in that.
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #1305
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Shouldn’t the UK use the faster, cheaper, proven Covid tests about to be rolled out across the world rather than trying to develop our own?

Of course they should, but there would be no money for Tory donors or Boris Johnson's brother in that.
Isn't building everything up from scratch (and hence demonstrating how wonderful you are) kind of a key pillar of everything Dominic Cummings has proposed ?

Using existing, working, systems and products is apparently bad in the long run because it merely perpetuates the status-quo Much better to destroy everything and try and cobble something together from the chaos because one time in a thousand something truly innovative will result.
Old Today, 03:58 AM   #1306
Wudang
BOFH

Isn't building everything up from scratch (and hence demonstrating how wonderful you are) kind of a key pillar of everything Dominic Cummings has proposed ?

Every school seems to have had at least one annoying bawbag who, whenever he heard someone had got or done something, would announce "Well I am going to (get one/do that) as well. But mine will be bigger and better and faster and shinier and will really impress my hot girlfriend who goes to another school." And fail to do/get that to any standard.

Even less impressive in adulthood.
Old Today, 04:17 AM   #1307
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Using existing, working, systems and products is apparently bad in the long run because it merely perpetuates the status-quo Much better to destroy everything and try and cobble something together from the chaos because one time in a thousand something truly innovative will result.
I've said elsewhere, It's not reinventing the wheel. It's having the wheel and then deciding to invent the wooden roller, except that the wood will be replaced with Vibranium.

From a GPS system based on satellites that could never work for GPS, to ventilators designed and built by newcomers to the industry, whilst ignoring established manufactures, to PCR tests ignoring capacity already in UK industry and academia, to test and trace ignoring environmental health officers, to the initial covid app.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:21 AM   #1308
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

We're not the people promoting David Icke. You seem to be implying that he's credible. But apart from attacking people who quote his stated views* you haven't explained what your view is.

*They are deluded if taken at face value, and if you take them in context with his other views, they're not very coded antisemitic conspiracy theories with "reptile" replacing "Jew" for the uninitiated.
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #1309
Tolls
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I've said elsewhere, It's not reinventing the wheel. It's having the wheel and then deciding to invent the wooden roller, except that the wood will be replaced with Vibranium.
I do wonder if they've seen The Dam Busters one time too many and think that Barnes Wallace is the model by which all procurement should be judged, ignoring the fact that for every Wallace and a Bouncing Bomb there's dozens of the weird Catherine wheel thing that was supposed to clear the beaches of mines.

There's a reason we used major (and reliable) manufacturers for pretty much all our weapons in WW2, and didn't hand it over to Sir Fanshaw-Smythe's company that makes bog roll.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:45 AM   #1310
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
I do wonder if they've seen The Dam Busters one time too many and think that Barnes Wallace is the model by which all procurement should be judged, ignoring the fact that for every Wallace and a Bouncing Bomb there's dozens of the weird Catherine wheel thing that was supposed to clear the beaches of mines.

There's a reason we used major (and reliable) manufacturers for pretty much all our weapons in WW2, and didn't hand it over to Sir Fanshaw-Smythe's company that makes bog roll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum

Love it.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #1311
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
I

In a way we did, they were used as contractors for sub assemblies. For example furniture manufacturers were given contracts for Mosquito sub assemblies.
Old Today, 06:21 AM   #1312
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What a surprise, government from PM down don’t even know what their own rules mean:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...6f622a0c45810?

Quote:
...snip...

Boris Johnson has apologised and said he “misspoke” after struggling to explain new restrictions imposed on the north-east of England.
From Wednesday it will be illegal for people in large parts of the region to mix households in indoor settings such as pubs and restaurants.

The government said the local lockdown is designed to drive down a recent spike in coronavirus cases.
But it was unclear whether it will also be against the law for households to meet in pub gardens.
This morning skills minister Gillian Keegan was unable to answer when pressed. “I don’t know the answer to that question,” she told BBC Radio 4′s Today programme.
..snip...

Last edited by Darat; Today at 06:22 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #1313
Mojo
Mostly harmless

What a surprise, government from PM down don’t even know what their own rules mean:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lockdown-rules

Quote:
Asked to clarify how the rules would affect millions of households in the north-east, Keegan was unable to answer.

She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “I’m sorry I can’t clarify that. I don’t know the answer to that question but I’m sure they can find out the answer.”

Pressed on how people were meant to keep up to date with the latest restrictions when ministers cannot, she added: “I’m sorry I can’t answer that question. I’m sure there are many people who could. I don’t represent the north-east.”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; Today at 06:40 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #1314
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Much better to destroy everything and try and cobble something together from the chaos because one time in a thousand something truly innovative will result.
He's doing a pretty good job of the first bit so fingers crossed, eh?
Old Today, 09:12 AM   #1315
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
https://twitter.com/garius/status/1289127360348987394

Quote:
One of the things I do for a living is design governance models. I'm very good at it. People pay me lots of money to do it.

What truly annoys me about this government is how many utterly basic errors they've made on lockdown rules, as they're terrified of responsibility. /1
The rest of the thread is also damning. And simultaneously 2 months old and utterly up to date

Last edited by jimbob; Today at 09:13 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics