ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th January 2020, 05:21 PM   #321
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The US Government Agency I work for is sending some of it's Hotshot Wildfire teams to Australia to help out.
A couple of the fire guys in my office take off from SF International today. The Fire section here has really been following this very closely;we have had a wildfire fighter exchange program going on with the Aussies for some time.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 09:07 PM   #322
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The US Government Agency I work for is sending some of it's Hotshot Wildfire teams to Australia to help out.
A couple of the fire guys in my office take off from SF International today. The Fire section here has really been following this very closely;we have had a wildfire fighter exchange program going on with the Aussies for some time.
We appreciate your help.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 09:37 PM   #323
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Now we wait and see if the semi circle of fire around Canberra strikes out towards it.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:21 AM   #324
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This is not going to be a popular post, but I’m starting to get really annoyed at so many people effected by the fires (I’m not talking about those who have lost properties) demanding government support in the media. People who have become unemployed as a consequence get unemployment benefit. Not good enough according to the unions. They should get the average wage instead, which would be a massive slap in the face to all those struggling on Newstart.

Businesses which have missed out on holiday income demanding the government make good their losses. There is insurance they could have taken out to cover this, but nobody bothers as they can’t imagine a bad holiday season.

I saw someone in an isolated town complain that government agencies haven’t visited his town, pointing out that he couldn’t get to see them because of road closures!!!

Others who can’t work because the business closed due to the fires asking for compensation. Businesses (including my last employer) close down all the time without the government throwing lifelines.

I have donated to the fire funds, but with some discomfort as i don’t know where this money is going.

Okay, I’ve dug a hole, so will keep digging. I personally know many people who benefitted handsomely after Black Saturday. People who lost homes (a horrible experience without doubt) got six figure charity payments, on top of insurance payments (not everyone had their homes insured), Centrelink and other government payments and law suit settlements for the many who joined class actions. Many people who stayed rebuilt bigger and better. Others moved to better suburbs.

If you can’t afford home insurance, you can’t really afford a house. If you can’t insure your business, you are a poor businessperson.

Rant over.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 13th January 2020 at 02:28 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:30 AM   #325
a_unique_person

The smoke plume will circle the globe.

Bushfire smoke plume expected to lap the globe, NASA says
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-1...-says/11863298

Perth should see a haze in a couple of days.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:55 AM   #326
a_unique_person

Lionking

The disruption caused by these fires is going to be beyond what insurance can cover. The knock on effects of road closures, businesses and homes burning down, distortion to the economies and people moving out permanently will be huge on a lot of small communities that weren't that resilient to start with.

The most unfair part of this is the other species that are affected. They had no part in creating this disaster but will by far suffer the most from it.
Old 13th January 2020, 06:04 AM   #327
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Lionking

The disruption caused by these fires is going to be beyond what insurance can cover. The knock on effects of road closures, businesses and homes burning down, distortion to the economies and people moving out permanently will be huge on a lot of small communities that weren't that resilient to start with.

The most unfair part of this is the other species that are affected. They had no part in creating this disaster but will by far suffer the most from it.
Oh yes, I understand this. I still think that some people will use every opportunity to capitalise.

Nothing anyone can do about this, but annoying none the less.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:09 PM   #328
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This is not going to be a popular post,...
The truth quite often isn't.

If you can’t afford home insurance, you can’t really afford a house. If you can’t insure your business, you are a poor businessperson.
I utterly agree with this position.

Sadly, the mix of technology and "givememoneyforfree" sites encourage the behaviour.

Almost daily, I see requests for money from people who have had a father or mother die without life insurance, lose their uninsured home in a fire, or generally have something insurable affect them when they were uninsured.

If you have no insurance I am certainly not going to give a damn.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:50 PM   #329
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Who should get Government help?
- Fire fighters. They are away from work more than in other seasons
- RFS. They need more and better equipment.
- people who have lost their homes. But only enough so they can get a change of clothes and other immediate needs until insurance pays out.
- Utilities. They will need to rebuild a load of roads and other services.

Who else?

I suggest that if everyone had insurance for everything then insurance companies would be making massive losses.

Edit. Forgot. People who look after wild animals impacted by the fires. Now THEY need money from everyone.

Last edited by rjh01; 13th January 2020 at 01:48 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:13 PM   #330
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I am cautiously optimistic about the heavy rain currently being forecast for the end of the week actually occurring.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:47 PM   #331
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I am cautiously optimistic about the heavy rain currently being forecast for the end of the week actually occurring.
I’ll be not praying for it and hoping you are right. A real drenching would be wonderful.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:50 PM   #332
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I’ll be not praying for it and hoping you are right. A real drenching would be wonderful.
Well... it'll be double-edged. It will damp everything down which will be nice, but it will also create a lot of polluted runoff in the waterways. I wouldn't be surprised if we were drinking brown water for weeks.

- Randall Munroe
Old 13th January 2020, 08:56 PM   #333
Steve
Philosopher

Well... it'll be double-edged. It will damp everything down which will be nice, but it will also create a lot of polluted runoff in the waterways. I wouldn't be surprised if we were drinking brown water for weeks.
I was thinking that when I read your post. I still think it would be best to limit the fires and deal with the water issues as they arise.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:18 PM   #334
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I was thinking that when I read your post. I still think it would be best to limit the fires and deal with the water issues as they arise.
Unfortunately, heavy rains after a fire event can raise really significant issues.

Particularly flooding and mudslides, because there is reduced vegetation to slow the passage of water.

The pollution of waterways is also a big deal, as arthwollipot has already mentioned.

So, to back up what is already being said: Fires out good, everything else, not so much.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:19 PM   #335
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Unfortunately, heavy rains after a fire event can raise really significant issues.

Particularly flooding and mudslides, because there is reduced vegetation to slow the passage of water.

The pollution of waterways is also a big deal, as arthwollipot has already mentioned.

So, to back up what is already being said: Fires out good, everything else, not so much.
Though given what it is typically like, it's unlikely that we'll get enough rain for flooding and mudslides.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th January 2020, 08:35 AM   #336
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

I understand that. It is going to happen at some point anyway so having it happen now and put out, or control, the fires at the same time is more advantageous than having it happen in six months when the fires have burned a few million more hectares.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:10 PM   #337
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Indeed.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:12 PM   #338
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And I thought the California fires last year were pretty bad......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 05:51 PM   #339
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I thought the California fires last year were pretty bad......
They were. They definitely were. But this is bigger than those and last year's Amazon fires combined.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th January 2020, 06:01 PM   #340
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

There is a benefit of having the government pay through its' nose to compensate people, in that it will hopefully bring it home to them that preventative measures is cost effective.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 06:47 PM   #341
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I was disgusted today to see Morrison talk about the need to preserve jobs, aka coal jobs, and the news interviewers didn't ask the most blatantly obvious question, "What about everyone else's jobs: farmers, ranchers, tourist entry, all those volunteer fire fighters who've missed months of work, ..."

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 06:48 PM   #342
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I was disgusted today to see Morrison talk about the need to preserve jobs, aka coal jobs, and the news interviewers didn't ask the most blatantly obvious question, "What about everyone else's jobs: farmers, ranchers, tourist entry, all those volunteer fire fighters who've missed months of work, ..."

That's how I feel every time the man opens his mouth.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th January 2020, 07:41 PM   #343
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Coal mining is the only job Soot Morrison thinks worth preserving.

He even brought some to school for show-and-tell.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:04 PM   #344
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Coal mining is the only job Soot Morrison thinks worth preserving.

He even brought some to school for show-and-tell.
Oh that's as pitiful as Senator Inhoff's snowball in Congress to supposedly prove global warming isn't real because it snowed in DC.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th January 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 01:37 AM   #345
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good news! Rain on the way.

Bad news! Biblical amounts of it forecast, bringing flooding and landslide.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austra...flash-flooding
Old 15th January 2020, 02:18 AM   #346
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Good news! Rain on the way.

Bad news! Biblical amounts of it forecast, bringing flooding and landslide.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austra...flash-flooding
30 mm in Melbourne in a couple of hours. If this gets to Gippsland it will surely extinguish the fires.

Haven’t had rain like this for months.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th January 2020, 04:05 AM   #347
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

When do the swarms of locust appear?
Old 15th January 2020, 06:41 PM   #348
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Right after the frogs.

- Randall Munroe
Old 15th January 2020, 10:15 PM   #349
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
UN Locust Watch
Quote:
Desert Locust situation update 13 January 2020
Numerous and very large swarms pose an unprecedented threat to food security and livelihoods in Horn of Africa

In the Horn of Africa, there has been a significant and extremely dangerous increase in swarm activity during the past week in Kenya where numerous, large immature swarms are spreading from the initial invasion areas of the northeast (Mandera county) south to Wajir and Garissa, west along the Ethiopian border (Moyale and Marsabit counties) and southwest into central areas north of Mt Kenya (Isiolo, Samburu, Meru and most recently Laikipia counties). One immature swarm was 60 km long by 40 km wide in the northeast. More swarms are expected to occur in these areas, some of which are already moving north of Mt. Kenya westwards to the Rift Valley (Baringo county) where they could continue northwest to Turkana county, while others will move west along the Ethiopian border, and some swarms could move further south to Tana River county. Some swarms may reach northeast Uganda and southeast South Sudan. In all areas, there is an unprecedented threat to food security and livelihoods. In the northeast, some swarms have started to mature, which means that egg-laying could be imminent in open areas of sandy moist soil where eggs would hatch after about two weeks and give rise to numerous hopper bands in February.

Old 16th January 2020, 02:24 PM   #350
a_unique_person

Smoke is back again.
Old 16th January 2020, 04:50 PM   #351
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, we got an almighty dumping which lasted about five minutes, and then went away. Today the AQI is 164. We might get more rain Sunday/Monday but that's all that's on the 7-day.

I've heard that a bunch of fires were extinguished on the south coast, though. So that's good.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th January 2020, 06:54 PM   #352
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Batemans Bay businesses on bushfire-ravaged South Coast sing for Canberra tourists to return

* arthwollipot makes a note to head to the coast for fish and chips soon.

- Randall Munroe
Old 17th January 2020, 12:20 AM   #353
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Yeah, we got an almighty dumping which lasted about five minutes, and then went away. Today the AQI is 164. We might get more rain Sunday/Monday but that's all that's on the 7-day.

I've heard that a bunch of fires were extinguished on the south coast, though. So that's good.
The map says they are "under control" or "Being controlled". Cannot find any that are rated as extinguished. Though the difference may only be minor.

Waiting for rain on Sunday and Monday.

Would have thought the rain would have got rid of the smoke but I am wrong. I would not go to the coast until the smoke has gone. I go to the coast to do exercise, not be locked up due to dangerous levels of smoke.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:24 AM   #354
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It seems the smoke has disappeared over Melbourne now.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 18th January 2020, 10:34 PM   #355
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Today, the VicEmergency has issued me warnings 5 or 6 times.

A few were about a fire 30 km away.

One was about the Budj Bim fire now being contained, but be vigilant.

And one just now about flood warnings.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2020, 10:38 PM   #356
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
This is not going to be a popular post, but I’m starting to get really annoyed at so many people effected by the fires (I’m not talking about those who have lost properties) demanding government support in the media. People who have become unemployed as a consequence get unemployment benefit. Not good enough according to the unions. They should get the average wage instead, which would be a massive slap in the face to all those struggling on Newstart.

Businesses which have missed out on holiday income demanding the government make good their losses. There is insurance they could have taken out to cover this, but nobody bothers as they can’t imagine a bad holiday season.

I saw someone in an isolated town complain that government agencies haven’t visited his town, pointing out that he couldn’t get to see them because of road closures!!!

Others who can’t work because the business closed due to the fires asking for compensation. Businesses (including my last employer) close down all the time without the government throwing lifelines.

I have donated to the fire funds, but with some discomfort as i don’t know where this money is going.

Okay, I’ve dug a hole, so will keep digging. I personally know many people who benefitted handsomely after Black Saturday. People who lost homes (a horrible experience without doubt) got six figure charity payments, on top of insurance payments (not everyone had their homes insured), Centrelink and other government payments and law suit settlements for the many who joined class actions. Many people who stayed rebuilt bigger and better. Others moved to better suburbs.

Rant over.

Thank you!!

I've been getting disgusted by people thinking they could do better.

By angry mobs hounding (not a strong enough word) Scott Morrison (I voted for an independent).

Saying he "should have done x, y, z, anything but whatever he did today".

I was having quite a long exchange with a friend who had done it.

The whole #auspol is toxic. They gang up on people and lash out without taking in any nuance or spending time reading articles.

Another friend liked something that looked like a threat to another politician.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2020, 01:17 AM   #357
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
The whole #auspol is toxic.
It ain't just Australia.
Old 19th January 2020, 05:06 AM   #358
a_unique_person

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...19-p53su6.html

This is crazy. Just had flooding and hail the size of golf balls falling in Melbourne, then there is fire out of control north of Melbourne and residents have been told it's too late to flee.
Old 19th January 2020, 05:08 AM   #359
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Thank you!!

I've been getting disgusted by people thinking they could do better.

By angry mobs hounding (not a strong enough word) Scott Morrison (I voted for an independent).

Saying he "should have done x, y, z, anything but whatever he did today".

I was having quite a long exchange with a friend who had done it.

The whole #auspol is toxic. They gang up on people and lash out without taking in any nuance or spending time reading articles.

Another friend liked something that looked like a threat to another politician.

The Liberal Party have been exploiting the Labor Party and Greens trying to do something to prevent these fires for political gain. Now there is nothing Morrison can do except watch it burn and still insist there is no crises and there will still be no change in the deadly policies because they can get power by denying the science and appealing to short term self sinterest. I really fear for the world I am leaving to my children. Senior representatives of the Emergency tried to tell Morrison that this would be the worst year ever for fires and Morrison ignored them.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 19th January 2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old 19th January 2020, 08:20 PM   #360
a_unique_person

Haul so big in Canberra it was punching holes in a ceiling like gun shots.

Hail at the National Film and Sound Archive HQ in Acton, Canberra 'punctured the roof like bullets https://t.co/qIq1zqeIzq

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events