ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 08:59 AM   #961
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
But what was the idea? It's a mystery...

In another thread, it was mentioned that Putin offered to send his own investigators to "assist". It could be that.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #962
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
History will not be kind to the spineless cretins in the GOP.
You are of course assuming that things will actually get better. We could be looking at the start of the Idiocracy scenario, where the U.S. just continually descends into ignorance and stupidity. In which case, Trump may simply be the first of many bigots/con artists. They will erect statues of the man showing him as the one who lead the way to show that anyone can be both a racist and a president.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #963
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
But what was the idea? It's a mystery...
I thought it was sending his own investigators to the USA to 'help' with the investigation?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #964
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Remember, if you take one thing from the summit it's that Russia is a competitor and the EU are a foe.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #965
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
You are of course assuming that things will actually get better. We could be looking at the start of the Idiocracy scenario, where the U.S. just continually descends into ignorance and stupidity. In which case, Trump may simply be the first of many bigots/con artists. They will erect statues of the man showing him as the one who lead the way to show that anyone can be both a racist and a president.
I think we're strong enough to survive this and people are no dumber today than they ever were. It's the Republicans who know better and stay silent that I have the most contempt for.

The average Trump supporter is just a slack jawed troglodyte who probably doesn't know any better, but people like Paul Ryan? They're traitors at this point.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #966
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You gotta love Trump. He condemns the leaders of our allies. And praises the dictator of a nation that meddled in our elections. Way to go Donnie!
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #967
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You gotta love Trump. He condemns the leaders of our allies. And praises the dictator of a nation that meddled in our elections. Way to go Donnie!
Yeah, but good ol' Vlad promised him it never happened
chrispy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #968
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I think we're strong enough to survive this and people are no dumber today than they ever were. It's the Republicans who know better and stay silent that I have the most contempt for.

The average Trump supporter is just a slack jawed troglodyte who probably doesn't know any better, but people like Paul Ryan? They're traitors at this point.
I firmly object to the "slack jawed troglodyte" depiction. Largely, I would call them people who the GOP has instilled great contempt for politics and government into. Add to that their constant lies and disinformation about the Democrats and "the left" as part of their more general strategy of building an "us versus them" worldview that lets them easily manipulate the "us" and you've got the important part of what's actually the problem. It's not so much intelligence as gullibility, feeling helpless, and the subversion of actual critical thinking, after all.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 10:11 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #969
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I firmly object to the "slack jawed troglodyte" depiction. Largely, I would call them people who the GOP has instilled great contempt for politics and government into. Add to that their constant lies and disinformation about the Democrats and "the left" as part of their more general strategy of building an "us versus them" worldview that lets them easily manipulate the "us" and you've got the important part of what's actually the problem. It's not so much intelligence as gullibility and the subversion of actual critical thinking, after all.
You're being far too generous. Access Hollywood and Charlottesville were bad enough, but after today? It's being kind to refer to Trumpkins as "slack jawed troglodytes". What they really are- which I don't want to believe- are traitors. I would rather believe they're so moronic that Trump's treason is palatable in some monstrous BlackWhite Orwellian thought process going on in their heads.

Last edited by Fudbucker; Today at 10:11 AM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #970
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

You're being far too generous.
I don't think that I am, but then, I'm just talking about much of the root of the problem. When it comes to how it's expressed, the subversion of critical thinking and playing to their biases does make even many fairly intelligent people nigh indistinguishable from idiotic morons.

Access Hollywood and Charlottesville were bad enough, but after today? It's being kind to refer to Trumpkins as "slack jawed troglodytes". What they really are- which I don't want to believe- are traitors. I would rather believe they're so moronic that Trump's treason is palatable in some monstrous BlackWhite Orwellian thought process going on in their heads.
To borrow from Al Franken -

Quote:
“We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow.”
4 year olds tend to be rather gullible, as a reminder.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 10:20 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #971
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I don't think that I am, but then, I'm just talking about much of the root of the problem. When it comes to how it's expressed, the subversion of critical thinking and playing to their biases does make even many fairly intelligent people nigh indistinguishable from idiotic morons.

To borrow from Al Franken -

4 year olds tend to be rather gullible, as a reminder.
Adults acting like 4 year olds are pathetic. If you want to use that pejorative to describe Trumpkins, I'm all for it.
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #972
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
And while it was never happening Obama didn't do anything about it!

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #973
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Good morning, liberals! At what time shall we pretend that its the end of the world today? Might I suggest after the lunch hour?"
-- Candace Owens (July 10, 2018)
How much **** are you guys going to handwave away before you realize that something is really wrong?
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #974
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Good morning, liberals! At what time shall we pretend that its the end of the world today? Might I suggest after the lunch hour?"
-- Candace Owens (July 10, 2018)
Who?
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #975
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Then it didn't happen then. The entire US intelligence community must have got that all wrong.
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #976
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

John O. Brennan Ex CIA Director tweets

"Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of “high crimes & misdemeanours.” It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics