ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2013, 03:53 PM   #441
ynot
Philosopher

Seems it may take weeks for Team Atlas/Aerovelo to get their ďdata and footageĒ to AHS forĒ official validationĒĖ ďHopefully this process will be quick, but it may take several weeks.Ē

From - http://www.aerovelo.com/2013/06/14/take-a-deep-breath-and-hold-on-2/

I guess they must have complied with this rule . . .

ď4.5 Observation

Every attempt shall be observed by the NAC or a duly appointed representative of AHS International [amended 2/7/2013] or by any persons authorized by them to act as observers. It may take place in the competitorís own country if it is affiliated with the FAI. In a country not so, it could be advantageous to conduct the flight in a neighboring country which is so affiliated.Ē

From- http://www.vtol.org/awards-and-conte...pter/hph-rules
Old 15th June 2013, 04:40 PM   #442
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Seems it may take weeks for Team Atlas/Aerovelo to get their ďdata and footageĒ to AHS forĒ official validationĒĖ ďHopefully this process will be quick, but it may take several weeks.Ē

From - http://www.aerovelo.com/2013/06/14/take-a-deep-breath-and-hold-on-2/

I guess they must have complied with this rule . . .

ď4.5 Observation

Every attempt shall be observed by the NAC or a duly appointed representative of AHS International [amended 2/7/2013] or by any persons authorized by them to act as observers. It may take place in the competitorís own country if it is affiliated with the FAI. In a country not so, it could be advantageous to conduct the flight in a neighboring country which is so affiliated.Ē

From- http://www.vtol.org/awards-and-conte...pter/hph-rules
How do you see the situation post-Sikorsky prize? Surely this won't be the end of the story.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2013, 05:13 PM   #443
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
How do you see the situation post-Sikorsky prize? Surely this won't be the end of the story.
Not sure what you mean. Obviously it will be the end of the competition. Do you mean it wonít be the end of HPH developments or another HPH competition? Perhaps a competition where the HPH has to complete some predefined course. And/or perhaps a new height requirement that takes the craft completely out of ground effect (a real chopper).

Donít see any reason to peruse with my effort unless thereís another competition with a substantial prize incentive. Are there any other human powered vehicle competitions waiting to be won?

Last edited by ynot; 15th June 2013 at 05:16 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2013, 06:39 PM   #444
Marcus
Master Poster

Not sure what you mean. Obviously it will be the end of the competition. Do you mean it wonít be the end of HPH developments or another HPH competition? Perhaps a competition where the HPH has to complete some predefined course. And/or perhaps a new height requirement that takes the craft completely out of ground effect (a real chopper).

Donít see any reason to peruse with my effort unless thereís another competition with a substantial prize incentive. Are there any other human powered vehicle competitions waiting to be won?
I can see other goals besides winning the Prize. Setting world records for altitude or duration, perhaps. How about a machine that was unquestionably beyond ground effects, and could fly around a specified course? Only rotating wings allowed. All we need is for someone to offer a reward.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2013, 10:58 PM   #445
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think there are any HPAs even with fixed wings that have flown out of ground effect.

An HPH that could fly a course around a 10 meter box without going outside a 25 meter box would be interesting.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2013, 11:41 PM   #446
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
I don't think there are any HPAs even with fixed wings that have flown out of ground effect.

An HPH that could fly a course around a 10 meter box without going outside a 25 meter box would be interesting.
It would have to be outdoor which would make it even more interesting. I would be a contender if the prize money was at least $250,000.

Can't figure out with Team Atlas why they think it might take several weeks to get their data together. Is it really all that complicated? Perhaps they're just bluffing to put Team Gamera off their attempt.

Here's a clip on Team Atlas that includes their major crash - http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=9...ylistPageNum=1

Last edited by ynot; 16th June 2013 at 12:02 AM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2013, 01:44 PM   #447
Olowkow
Philosopher

Including the Gossamer Albatross?

Another video of Md.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148957n

I thought this was an interesting statement. Obviously true when you think about it.
"Humans are really terrible engines...actually worse in power to weight than a steam engine. It would be easier to build a steam powered helicopter than a human powered helicopter."
Old 16th June 2013, 01:53 PM   #448
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
Including the Gossamer Albatross?

Another video of Md.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148957n

I thought this was an interesting statement. Obviously true when you think about it.
"Humans are really terrible engines...actually worse in power to weight than a steam engine. It would be easier to build a steam powered helicopter than a human powered helicopter."
If you think you can get the Gossamer Albatross to fly around a 10 meter square, without going outside a 25 meter square, have at it.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2013, 02:00 PM   #449
ynot
Philosopher

If you think you can get the Gossamer Albatross to fly around a 10 meter square, without going outside a 25 meter square, have at it.
Think the question was if the Gossamer Albatross has ever or never flown above ground effect.
Old 16th June 2013, 02:07 PM   #450
Olowkow
Philosopher

Think the question was if the Gossamer Albatross has ever or never flown above ground effect.
Correct. I always thought of ground effect as more like a hovercraft.
Old 16th June 2013, 02:46 PM   #451
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
Correct. I always thought of ground effect as more like a hovercraft.
This link is to a webpage on ground-effect craft like the Ekanoplane.
Originally Posted by From the link
As a rule of thumb, Ground Effect is accepted as being up to 1 1/2 times wing span, expressed as height above surface.
This surprised me a little, because the rule of thumb I've heard bandied about is 1/2 span altitude.

Could the GA have flown out of ground effect? I don't know. Bryan Allen was quite an engine. But I'm pretty sure he never went to 150 feet AGL
Old 16th June 2013, 03:20 PM   #452
Olowkow
Philosopher

I looked in the specs for max altitude for the GA, and never found anything. I always had assumed that he flew no higher because he didn't have to, and maybe was afraid of higher wind gusts. I don't know though. The picture of the Ekanoplane or futuristic planes like the Pelican Ultra were my idea of ground effect craft.

Old 16th June 2013, 03:35 PM   #453
ynot
Philosopher

This link is to a webpage on ground-effect craft like the Ekanoplane.

This surprised me a little, because the rule of thumb I've heard bandied about is 1/2 span altitude.

Could the GA have flown out of ground effect? I don't know. Bryan Allen was quite an engine. But I'm pretty sure he never went to 150 feet AGL
I wouldíve thought it would have as much, if not more, to do with the speed of the wing than anything. Wouldnít the same wing at 500kph experience more ground effect than one at 20kph at the same low altitude?
Old 18th June 2013, 09:15 PM   #454
ynot
Philosopher

Here's an "Ingredients for Innovation" vdeo from Team Atlas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bqQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 26th June 2013, 12:33 PM   #455
ynot
Philosopher

Team Gamera arenít waiting for Team Atlas to claim the AHS prize and have resumed test flying.. They also claim to have exceeded the required 3 metres - https://twitter.com/UMD_Gamera/statu...407171/photo/1

The race is still on . . .
Old 26th June 2013, 12:35 PM   #456
Fudbucker
Graduate Poster

Is it a single-person only helicopter?
Fudbucker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2013, 01:27 PM   #457
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Is it a single-person only helicopter?
Both Atlas and Gamera are single pilot.
Old 26th June 2013, 07:42 PM   #458
ynot
Philosopher

Team Gamera latest Tweet - "Henry just flew to 2.8 m (9' 4") and 60 seconds. Awesome job!"
Old 28th June 2013, 02:51 PM   #459
ynot
Philosopher

As Team Atlas waits for the AHS to confirm they have won the Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter Competition, Team Gamera invited them over to see them break a few records and share their info.

http://www.aerovelo.com/2013/06/28/c...ts-and-thanks/

http://eng.umd.edu/html/news/news_story.php?id=7462

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151629967350528&l=4d47cdbb46
Old 11th July 2013, 02:03 PM   #460
ynot
Philosopher

"Aerovelo Officially Awarded AHS Sikorsky Prize!"

http://www.aerovelo.com/2013/07/11/aerovelo-officially-awarded-ahs-sikorsky-prize/

Well done Team Atlas!
Old 11th July 2013, 05:44 PM   #461
tsig
a carbon based life-form

"Aerovelo Officially Awarded AHS Sikorsky Prize!"

http://www.aerovelo.com/2013/07/11/aerovelo-officially-awarded-ahs-sikorsky-prize/

Well done Team Atlas!
Sorry you didn't make it but glad someone did.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2013, 05:53 PM   #462
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

There is always the next one.

Congratulations to the winners.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2013, 10:13 PM   #463
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Sorry you didn't make it but glad someone did.
Thanks, but at least I didn't spend as much time and money as some did. Hope AmDan isn't too upset
Old 11th July 2013, 10:25 PM   #464
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
There is always the next one.

Congratulations to the winners.
If there are other human powered competitions perhaps it might be best if I don’t know about them. Wonder if AHS will run another HPH competition?

I have a couple of wacky concepts that came from my brief HPH attempt that I might pursue (a least at a model level). They are a stationary wing hovering craft and a way of overcoming counter-rotation by using some of the energy of one rotation to stop the other (told you they are wacky).

ETA - Thanks to those that took part in this thread and offered their HPH advice and encouragement.

Last edited by ynot; 11th July 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11th July 2013, 11:09 PM   #465
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Just saw this on CBC's The National. Really cool. I want one.
Old 13th July 2013, 01:08 AM   #466
ynot
Philosopher

This may be a video of the winning flight - http://www.aerovelo.com/

Although there is a string dangling down (to help measure the height I think) tha didn't go above 3m. Maybe this was allowed.

Last edited by ynot; 13th July 2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 19th July 2013, 04:17 PM   #467
ynot
Philosopher

If anyone still has any interest - Complete Prize-Winning Flight of AeroVelo's Atlas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEPry...0mPUIA5C6tvCyQ
Old 20th July 2013, 05:28 AM   #468
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

Very cool. Thank you for the video.

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology