ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , natural disasters

Old 16th September 2018, 07:00 AM   #81
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Looting in Wilmington, North Carolina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXjuwRRIbD8
Charming comments below the video.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 07:43 AM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Saw that yesterday. Hilarious. He's even leaning downwind instead of into it, as you would naturally do.
Old 17th September 2018, 09:13 AM   #83
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Death Toll stands at 19.

The most recent death is a 1 year old boy killed when his mother ignored and drove around warning barriers, and lost grip on the child in the flood waters when attempting to escape the flooded vehicle.

Also the town of Creston, NC is being evacuated due to the growing likelihood of the failure of the Headwaters Dam.

Big chunks of I-95 and pretty much all roads east of I-95 in North Carolina are still impassable.
Old 17th September 2018, 09:27 AM   #84
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I also like the editing. The video was evidently doubled-up to make it look like there was more extended looting going on.
Old 17th September 2018, 01:49 PM   #85
dudalb
Suspended

I knew what the comments would be before I went to the site.
What is shocking to me is how, in the past two years, open the bigotry has become. I wonder why that is...
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 07:35 PM   #86
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Death Toll stands at 19.

The most recent death is a 1 year old boy killed when his mother ignored and drove around warning barriers, and lost grip on the child in the flood waters when attempting to escape the flooded vehicle.

Also the town of Creston, NC is being evacuated due to the growing likelihood of the failure of the Headwaters Dam.

Big chunks of I-95 and pretty much all roads east of I-95 in North Carolina are still impassable.

Wilmington has been pretty much completely cut off. They've been talking about air-lifting supplies in.

Fayetteville is waiting for the Cape Fear River to crest, They predict it for tomorrow. 26 feet above flood stage.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 09:09 PM   #87
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Wilmington has been pretty much completely cut off. They've been talking about air-lifting supplies in.

Fayetteville is waiting for the Cape Fear River to crest, They predict it for tomorrow. 26 feet above flood stage.
When do the political shenanigans start? It's North Carolina. Democratic governor, Republican legislature, Something Similar to Republican FEMA and White House. I can see the state arguing about whether to send relief to the "wrong" districts. It's in their blood.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 09:13 PM   #88
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I knew what the comments would be before I went to the site.
What is shocking to me is how, in the past two years, open the bigotry has become. I wonder why that is...
You Tube comment sections have been cesspools of open bigotry for a long time. It didn’t begin with Trump who merely rode in on the wave.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 10:33 PM   #89
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
We have to be the laughing stock of the rest of the world.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:45 PM   #90
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There was a report the owner told the police not to stop them.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:49 PM   #91
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post

Thanks, always nice to find something to laugh about.
Old 18th September 2018, 08:11 AM   #92
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Roy Cooper

When do the political shenanigans start? It's North Carolina. Democratic governor, Republican legislature, Something Similar to Republican FEMA and White House. I can see the state arguing about whether to send relief to the "wrong" districts. It's in their blood.
The images of I-40 (one of three routes into the city of Wilmington) I have seen suggest that one might try one's luck with a fishing pole there. Governor Roy Cooper is one of the more level-headed politicians I can think of ATM. Some of the stuff on the ballot in November does not suggest that the same is true of the legislature; however, one hopes that the legislature knows that this is not the time for partisanship.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 18th September 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 08:40 AM   #93
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Post-Tropical Sub-Depression Rain Cloud Florence will be raining on my area this afternoon.
Old 18th September 2018, 02:57 PM   #94
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

They were lucky, in a sense, that Florence ran into some dry air while still at sea. When it sucked in the dry air that was the reason it was reduced from Cat 5 to Cat 2. It would have also reduced the amount of rain. This could have been much, much worse.

As it is NC is pretty well completely closed for business. If only they had spent that money they saved on not limiting the effects of global warming on the remediating the effects of it as they always say they will.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 18th September 2018 at 02:59 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events