ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:07 AM   #121
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Alexander1304 View Post
It is very hard for me to explore it by myself, because I uncritically believe everything I read/watch. So, initially I believed this video, and why? "Because he said so". But communicating with more critical and scientific thinkers on science forum convinced me that it might be premature.So,if I am going to explore it further,I will NOT do it by myself,and hopefully you guys don't mind to help me
I hope you don't mind me asking but are you on the Autistic Spectrum? I've been skimming some articles recently (so busy) about people with Asperger's syndrome in the criminal justice system. Quick link below
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0522114817.htm

Long story short: went to Skeptics in't Pub Barnsley talk, followed the speaker on twitter and she posts a lot on the topic.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:33 AM   #122
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Wow, you're the only person I've described it to who has also experienced it!
Add me too. I don't think it's actually that unusual, the glitch that makes it feel familiar also makes the thought that it feels familiar feel familiar!

There's also Jamais Vu which is when something familiar feels unfamiliar.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 10:37 AM   #123
Belz...
Fiend God

Interesting. I've experienced nested déjà vu. I've had a déjà vu experience of having a déjà vu experience of having a déjà vu experience of having a déjà vu experience... nested seven levels deep. By which I mean when I had the last one (which in fact was probably the only one), I felt like I could remember having had it six times previously. It was super weird.
How does one determine how many times you've had the exact same experience? Sounds like something one would dream and then interpret as real. Happens to me sometimes.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 10:48 AM   #124
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Thank you, I have made a note of that.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 08:57 PM   #125
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How does one determine how many times you've had the exact same experience? Sounds like something one would dream and then interpret as real. Happens to me sometimes.
I "remembered" that I had "remembered" it six times before. And I "knew" that because I "remembered" that when I "remembered" it that previous time, I had "remembered" that I had "remembered" it five times before. And before that I "remembered" that I had "remembered" it four times before. And so on. And all of those "memories" were present in the last time it occurred. I just couldn't "remember" what I had been "remembering" the "first" time.

Does that even make sense? I can't tell.

I have never, to my memory, had something that I had certainly dreamed about come true.
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:03 AM   #126
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

If someone believes that quantum mechanics provides evidence of "alternate realities", then they do not understand quantum mechanics. And I don't need to watch a video to say that definitively.
Perhaps there's an issue over what you mean by "alternate realities" here, but if the worlds of the many worlds interpretation count, then I disagree.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:49 AM   #127
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Perhaps there's an issue over what you mean by "alternate realities" here, but if the worlds of the many worlds interpretation count, then I disagree.
In the way that was being argued by the OP - ie, simultaneous parallel realities that people and objects can travel between, it is true that the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics does not support that.
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:40 AM   #128
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

In the way that was being argued by the OP - ie, simultaneous parallel realities that people and objects can travel between, it is true that the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics does not support that.
Agreed.

The important qualifier being: "that people and objects can travel between", which, as you say, is certainly not supported by QM in any way. In fact, the opposite really.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:42 AM   #129
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
There was this sci fi short story, I forget whose, about an author who keeps finding every work of his, as he writes them, already published, or something like that. As far as I remember, that was about time travel, not parallel universes.

I've read the same story, or one very similar. I occasionally go through my books and magazines trying to find it, and can't. I also haven't been able to find it online. One of these days, I need to methodically go through everything I have, and hope it wasn't in something I got rid of.
Maybe I read it in an alternate reality.

The story I read was in the format of a collection of submission letters to publishers and rejection letters from those publishers. Whenever the man writes a story, it turns out to have been written decades earlier by a famous author he has never heard of. He eventually concludes that he was supposed to be a famous writer, and the other author was a time traveler who was traveling into the future and stealing his stories. He tries to publish the collected letters, expecting that the time traveler will either avoid them, or expose himself as a fraud by stealing them. It ends with a rejection letter, because they had been stolen and published with no consequences.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:05 AM   #130
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The story I read was in the format of a collection of submission letters to publishers and rejection letters from those publishers. Whenever the man writes a story, it turns out to have been written decades earlier by a famous author he has never heard of. He eventually concludes that he was supposed to be a famous writer, and the other author was a time traveler who was traveling into the future and stealing his stories. He tries to publish the collected letters, expecting that the time traveler will either avoid them, or expose himself as a fraud by stealing them. It ends with a rejection letter, because they had been stolen and published with no consequences.
This sounds like "The Longest Science Fiction Story Ever Told," by Arthur C. Clarke. It's an infinitely regressive nested story, in the form of a rejection letter that contains itself as a quotation, and is therefore technically infinitely long. Clarke discussed the idea of retroactive plagiarism by a time traveler further, if I recall correctly, in a piece called "Herbert George Morley Roberts Wells," which also contains Clarke's personal experience of a form of the Mandela Effect. Both are in the collection "The Wind from the Sun," which I haven't read in a few decades; time to buy a Kindle copy, I think.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:19 AM   #131
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
This sounds like "The Longest Science Fiction Story Ever Told," by Arthur C. Clarke. It's an infinitely regressive nested story, in the form of a rejection letter that contains itself as a quotation, and is therefore technically infinitely long. Clarke discussed the idea of retroactive plagiarism by a time traveler further, if I recall correctly, in a piece called "Herbert George Morley Roberts Wells," which also contains Clarke's personal experience of a form of the Mandela Effect. Both are in the collection "The Wind from the Sun," which I haven't read in a few decades; time to buy a Kindle copy, I think.

Dave

I just finally found it online, in a 2007 Google Groups discussion of "pre-plagiarism" stories that I found by searching for the Clarke story. I was remembering "Who's Cribbing", by Jack Lewis, written in 1953. I still don't know what I read it in though. I don't have any of the books listed on the Internet Speculative Fiction Database.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:37 AM   #132
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I was remembering "Who's Cribbing", by Jack Lewis, written in 1953.
Since Clarke's story was published in 1966, clearly Lewis ripped off the idea from him.

Dave

ETA: Having Googled "Who's Cribbing?" I remember it too - a name like Todd Thromberry isn't one easily forgotten.

- Myriad

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 23rd July 2020 at 08:42 AM.
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:24 PM   #133
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Agreed.

The important qualifier being: "that people and objects can travel between", which, as you say, is certainly not supported by QM in any way. In fact, the opposite really.
Yep. In context, that is definitely a major part of the claim that is not stated outright in the OP.
Old 20th September 2020, 02:04 PM   #134
Jodie
Philosopher

I distinctly remember the monopoly man having a monocle and cane, now he doesn't. I thought the company changed it and didn't give it a second thought when I bought the game. I later found out that I'm not alone in this, the character was based off J. Paul Getty who wore a monocle and cane, however, it seems the monopoly man never had a monocle or cane. Just random weirdness, I guess.

Another odd thing, I remember Elvis Presley dying when I was in the 6th grade in 1973. I remember talking about it with classmates but it seems he actually died in 1977. I can't explain that one either.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 02:11 PM   #135
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I can totally explain that one. Human memory is fallible.

Did you seriously bump this thread to tell us how much you suck at remembering historical events?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 03:36 PM   #136
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I distinctly remember the monopoly man having a monocle and cane, now he doesn't. I thought the company changed it and didn't give it a second thought when I bought the game. I later found out that I'm not alone in this, the character was based off J. Paul Getty who wore a monocle and cane, however, it seems the monopoly man never had a monocle or cane. Just random weirdness, I guess.

Mr. Peanut had a monocle and a cane. Uncle Scrooge McDuck has a pince-nez and a cane.
Old 20th September 2020, 03:55 PM   #137
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Mr. Monopoly does have a cane! In one Chance card and several Community Chest cards.

He never had a monocle, though. I can certainly visualize a Mr. Monopoly with a monocle, but I can't visualize any actual game depictions of him where a monocle would fit; such a detail would be too small for the card art I think.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 08:16 AM   #138
Joe Random
Master Poster

I remember seeing the first Star Wars when it was first released. I quite clearly remember on my first viewing being confused when I saw the opening crawl say 'episode 4', wondering how I'd missed the first three. That image is burned into my brain clear as day.

Which is more likely : I conflated my first viewing of it during initial release with one of the several subsequent ones over the years when it did in fact say 'epi 4', or I've slipped into some odd alternate reality where 'epi 4' wasn't part of the original screenings?

If the latter then I want someone to open a Stargate back to my home plane - this one has really sucked the last nine months.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 03:56 PM   #139
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Mr. Peanut had a monocle and a cane. Uncle Scrooge McDuck has a pince-nez and a cane.
A pince-bec, I think. Ducks lack nezzes.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 08:10 PM   #140
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
I remember seeing the first Star Wars when it was first released. I quite clearly remember on my first viewing being confused when I saw the opening crawl say 'episode 4', wondering how I'd missed the first three. That image is burned into my brain clear as day.

Which is more likely : I conflated my first viewing of it during initial release with one of the several subsequent ones over the years when it did in fact say 'epi 4', or I've slipped into some odd alternate reality where 'epi 4' wasn't part of the original screenings?

If the latter then I want someone to open a Stargate back to my home plane - this one has really sucked the last nine months.
I have a friend who insists that when he saw it (opening screening at Grauman's the lucky bastard), not only did the opening crawl not include "Episode 4", but it included the scene in the hangar between Han and Jabba - the one that was (badly) remastered later with a CGI Jabba. He says he saw it with the human Jabba.

I think he's having a bit of a Mandela Effect there.
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:34 AM   #141
Spektator

I don't recall much about the first SW movie, but I DO recall a moment lifted right out of a Warner Bros cartoon: When the storm troopers are chasing Han and Chewie through the Death Star, one of the troopers gets a bright idea and yells, "Close the blast doors! Close the blast doors!" The blast doors do close, but our heroes nip through the narrowing gap in the nick of time--and then the storm trooper screams, "OPEN THE BLAST DOORS! OPEN THE BLAST DOORS!" but the bad guys' momentum makes them crash against the barrier. That little moment was later altered.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:27 PM   #142
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I don't recall much about the first SW movie, but I DO recall a moment lifted right out of a Warner Bros cartoon: When the storm troopers are chasing Han and Chewie through the Death Star, one of the troopers gets a bright idea and yells, "Close the blast doors! Close the blast doors!" The blast doors do close, but our heroes nip through the narrowing gap in the nick of time--and then the storm trooper screams, "OPEN THE BLAST DOORS! OPEN THE BLAST DOORS!" but the bad guys' momentum makes them crash against the barrier. That little moment was later altered.
I saw Star Wars in the theater 14 times that summer. I memorized the dialog as did my brother, and we would recite the movie as we drifted off to sleep.

The original prints were swapped out after six or seven weeks to protect them from failing during a show. The same thing happened with Karate Kid in 1984 at the theater where I worked. Most movies back then had a three to five-week run in the theaters with the last two weeks being part of a double-bill, or late show feature. When a movie took off and was still pulling in a full-house at the main show after six weeks the distributor would swap out the initial reels for fresh ones.

George Lucas knew this.

The fresh copies of the film had the "Close the Blast Doors" alteration and a few other alterations. I don't recall if the "Episode IV" had been added then or not.

As far as the guy who claims to have seen the original Jabba in the hangar bay it's possible that was at a test screening. But the guy making the claim would probably recall that part (maybe not if he was a kid).

There was also a Star Wars comic book/ graphic novel which was released at the same time as the first movie that worked from the original script, and drew imagery from the rough cut of the film. This included a cut from Vader and Leah on her ship to Luke watching the whole battle with his cool binoculars in the desert before driving into town to meet up with his friends. Later on those scenes were included in special-edition DVDs, and you can find them on the internet.

I think a few people have conflated the comic book with what they saw on the screen over the years.
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:02 AM   #143
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Watched the vid, it's clickbaity nonsense, throwing bits of qm in with bits of cosmology, plus the mandela effect, deja vu and other nonsense.

0 out of 10 for effort.
I do like everetts many worlds interpretation of qm, if they knew what they were talking about they should have went with that.
I learned of Everett through his son, Mark Oliver Everett. According to him the way the physics world treated his father had a huge impact on his life and art. So, thanks to the establishment not being able to grapple with the many world's interpretation we have gems like this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:18 AM   #144
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hmm, I remember at the time an article in a 'newspaper' (remember them?) that referred to 'Star Wars' as the fourth film in a planned set of nine. I believe this was at the time the film was first broadcast on television, so it was probably a few years later.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:23 AM   #145
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Mr. Monopoly does have a cane! In one Chance card and several Community Chest cards.

He never had a monocle, though. I can certainly visualize a Mr. Monopoly with a monocle, but I can't visualize any actual game depictions of him where a monocle would fit; such a detail would be too small for the card art I think.
Technically he's 'Rich Uncle Pennybags'. Or at least was.
The Mister Monopoly Monocle Mandala Effect is used as a classic example of the effect.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:33 AM   #146
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

I remember asking my Dad the same question of why it said Episode 4.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:37 AM   #147
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
I remember asking my Dad the same question of why it said Episode 4.
I only saw it once, in 77 and without question it said Episode IV. I also wondered how I missed the others and worried that I might not follow along, having missed so much. Specifically left thinking something like 'hey that worked as a standalone, whatever the first three were'
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:35 AM   #148
Spektator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I only saw it once, in 77 and without question it said Episode IV. I also wondered how I missed the others and worried that I might not follow along, having missed so much. Specifically left thinking something like 'hey that worked as a standalone, whatever the first three were'
This site has images of the 1977 opening crawl with no "Episode IV" and the 1981 re-release crawl with "Episode 1V." According to Lucasfilm, the 1981 version was first to include the addition. I also looked up the Time and other reviews from 1977, and none mentioned "Episode IV," though at the end of the "Time" article the reviewer pointed out that Darth Vader got away and speculated that the studio might be planning a sequel.
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:43 AM   #149
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
This site has images of the 1977 opening crawl with no "Episode IV" and the 1981 re-release crawl with "Episode 1V." According to Lucasfilm, the 1981 version was first to include the addition. I also looked up the Time and other reviews from 1977, and none mentioned "Episode IV," though at the end of the "Time" article the reviewer pointed out that Darth Vader got away and speculated that the studio might be planning a sequel.
The funny thing is, due to personal/life stuff, I am 100% positive that I did not see that or any other movie between 1980 and 1986, and only saw Star Wars once. Although I might be wrong about 77, it might have been early 78.
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:57 AM   #150
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

No,just that. Do you think the video is '****'?
******** squared.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:57 AM   #151
Spektator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The funny thing is, due to personal/life stuff, I am 100% positive that I did not see that or any other movie between 1980 and 1986, and only saw Star Wars once. Although I might be wrong about 77, it might have been early 78.
Memory is strange. I have too often told my ghost story/uncanny dream that hinged on a totally false recollection of a sequence of events. According to this article, which quotes reviews of The Empire Strikes Back from 1980. The Washington Post and Newsweek both begin by noting that film's crawl begins with "Episode V" and ask "What's up with that?" Again, the article makes the case that "Episode IV: A New Hope" first appeared in 1981.
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:40 PM   #152
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I've got a very strong Mandela effect example myself. In the first part of the Final Fantasy VII role-playing game, the protagonists are talking about the people in the slums of the city. One of them says something about social immobility, and how the people in the slums don't have the money to move to the proper city, and how they're possibly also staying because they love their home, no matter how bad and polluted it is. Another character, who's at this point of the game only been portrayed as pretty much a walking, talking action figure, says that "it's like with this train. It can only go where the rails take it".

I remember, very clearly, the first protagonist saying a line that goes "I never expected that outta you. Yer just full of surprises".

Playing the game again, I was sure I had bought a different version or something because that line wasn't there. Not in that scene, not in any other scene. I guess I must've misremembered.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:55 PM   #153
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I was certain the line "This is our last dance" is sung twice near the end of the Queen/Bowie song "Under Pressure."

But a local oldies radio station has been playing it quite often, and the line is only sung once.

I thought this was a clear, though minor, Mandela Effect example. It turns out, there's more than one recorded version.

Or, there's more than one reality, but we switch between them rather more frequently than Mandela Effect theorists usually propose.
Old 1st October 2020, 02:34 PM   #154
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
That must be it. Not sure about Elvis though, but it doesn't really matter, I was never a big fan.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 02:38 PM   #155
Jodie
Philosopher

I'm not a huge fan of SW either but I did go to the theater's and watch every movie because my husband was a fan. I'm in the same boat that is positive that Darth Vader said , "Luke, I am your father." Since I wasn't a super fan, I'm going with the memory glitch explanation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal