ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2018, 11:24 AM   #41
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Heroes of Might and Magic II

Someone came out with an android version. Faithful to the original, although the inablity to right click to check the makeup of the enemy stock is annoying.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 11:33 AM   #42
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

MS-DOS 2.1 with PAM, on my 1984 HP150 Touchscreen PC. I boot it once a year or so.
Old 20th January 2018, 12:26 PM   #43
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire

I have a couple of DOS games on my desktop that are older (Age of Rifles and Action Stations) and a DOS emulator that will run them, but I haven't played either of them in at least a few years. But I still regularly play SMAX.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 01:39 PM   #44
JPK
Graduate Poster

Still use my Atari computers to play games on. I should put my BBS back up.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 01:47 PM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
It should be due to the large and growing number of security problems with this almost 17 year old and out of extended support for 4 years OS.

This was a major cause of the NHS's ransomware problems, XP machines.
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/still-...prepare-worst/

Usually when the users say there aren't any drivers it means they aren't willing to pay huge sums of money to get updated drivers written. Sometimes the driver re-writing fee can come close to, or exceed the cost of, replacing the whole system.
Dentist have to buy their own gear, it's not paid for by the NHS.
We did a lot of business over the last few years with practices that had no IT at all having to get Practice management systems installed to continue doing NHS work, they are all OK they have modern systems. Those practices that went 'electronic' a while ago are having to invest in new systems.
Just about every practice in the UK uses a system called 'Exact' by a company called Software of Excellence. Part of the Henry Schein group (they supply the vast majority of all dental equipment in Europe)
To run the Exact needs at least Windows 7 these days for the oldest version still certified as compliant)
Where the problem comes in is with Digital Xray sensors and Intra Oral camera systems. They cost a huge amount of money and some of the older systems haven't had software updates for many years.
A lot of smaller practices can't afford to scrap them and there isn't any need, the actual xray systems are still very good. They just have to keep using the XP workstations that came with them.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 06:27 PM   #46
mgidm86
Illuminator

In the past month I've played Pong, Galaga, N64 games, the original Zelda on an NES emulator, and a ton of other classics. I play old games regularly now and I rarely play anything new.

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver 8. I don't do websites anymore but a few times a year I'll bust it out. Don't know why really
Old 20th January 2018, 11:45 PM   #47
ceptimus
puzzler

A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 07:28 AM   #48
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
We did a lot of business over the last few years with practices that had no IT at all having to get Practice management systems installed to continue doing NHS work, they are all OK they have modern systems. Those practices that went 'electronic' a while ago are having to invest in new systems.
Just about every practice in the UK uses a system called 'Exact' by a company called Software of Excellence. Part of the Henry Schein group (they supply the vast majority of all dental equipment in Europe)
To run the Exact needs at least Windows 7 these days for the oldest version still certified as compliant)
Where the problem comes in is with Digital Xray sensors and Intra Oral camera systems. They cost a huge amount of money and some of the older systems haven't had software updates for many years.
A lot of smaller practices can't afford to scrap them and there isn't any need, the actual xray systems are still very good. They just have to keep using the XP workstations that came with them.

Does the XP machine have to be connected to the internet to work with the x-ray system? Because if they don't then hacker security shouldn't be as much of a problem.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 07:32 AM   #49
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Aye. About once a year I run through all the campaigns from the original, II and the expansions. I don't like III, though I have it.
I still play random skirmishes on that here and there. Despite its flaws I like it better than 2 or 3, which were too "busy" for me.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:56 AM   #50
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Does the XP machine have to be connected to the internet to work with the x-ray system? Because if they don't then hacker security shouldn't be as much of a problem.
It depends, some places have the device as a stand alone but it's usual to transfer the xray image to the Exact Database where it is linked to the patient record. That way the Dentist can see any old Xrays as part of the patient record and any new Xrays appear straight away so he can work with them.

It's not such a big problem, there are third party security and anti virus packages and it's usual to only have one workstation able to browse the web or use email in the practice managers office.

It tends to be the big 'Panoramic' CT systems that aren't being replaced, they can cost,. they come in at around £20,000 for the lower end systems up to £30000 or more for a 3d system

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 21st January 2018 at 09:02 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 10:45 AM   #51
paulhutch
Master Poster

Thanks for confirming what I said, it's simply dentists choosing profits over patient data security.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 11:43 AM   #52
Kilaak Kommander
Critical Thinker

Power Tab Editor 1.7, which creates sheet music for guitar and bass. Version 2.0 was expected to be released in 2002. Still waiting.
Kilaak Kommander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 11:49 AM   #53
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kilaak Kommander View Post
Power Tab Editor 1.7, which creates sheet music for guitar and bass. Version 2.0 was expected to be released in 2002. Still waiting.
It's an outrage!
Old 21st January 2018, 12:24 PM   #54
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

I have three computers. My latest one runs windows ten, but I still use my old computer that runs windows xp, and I use it to run stuff like lotus word processor. However I found I could not run some of my old software so I put together and old computer that runs windows 98. On that computer I have a screen saver called hop which is dos based so will not run on later versions of windows. I like watching hop as it has constantly changing fractal patterns. It would work even better if I had the code number to unlock it as it is shareware and special features only worked if you paid for a code. It is too late to get the code now as hop code is no longer supported. Does anyone have the code?
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 02:09 PM   #55
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Unbelievably, Win95 for back compatibility reasons.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 07:17 PM   #56
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

I would love to have an old 386 or 486 with Win 3.1 and some old stuff just for nostalgia.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 07:38 PM   #57
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Oldest system I own that still runs is a DEC PDP-11/35 running RSTS/E. Version 4, IIRC. Dates from the early 1970's. Haven't checked this unit in a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSTS/E

I do have access to a genuine IBM PC-XT which still runs DOS some-old-version. No idea what software is on it, bit will say EDIT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT

Oldest I use semi-regularly is an old DEC AXP-150/300 running VMS. Dates from about 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECpc_AXP_150
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:54 AM   #58
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The DOS version of Hoyle Solitaire, which was originally on a single floppy disk. Best solitaire program. It played fine on Win XP, but not on later OS, so now we get it on the web archive through dosbox.

I also still use the Win3.0 database "Cardfile," which used also to run on XP and Vista, but now requires a third party program. Still the same files, though. I find it a handy repository for passwords and the like, and I figure I can hide the files and nobody will find or open "CRD" files buried in the OS.

I still have an XP laptop set aside for running things that newer systems can't, including a couple of scanners.
I use cardfile too, on win 7.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:21 PM   #59
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Oldest system I own that still runs is a DEC PDP-11/35 running RSTS/E.
Wow. I used to use that quite a bit but I'm sure if someone asked me yesterday to name all the OSes I ever used I'd have completely forgotten that one.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 02:46 PM   #60
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Kilaak Kommander View Post
It's an outrage!
I hear it's coming out right after Half-Life 3.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:56 PM   #61
Dabop
Muse

I have an xp laptop used daily for a cnc router, its still got all the AOE series on it (and I regularly still play them while using the cnc machine too lol), I still maintain a pair of 98se machines for a company, plus they have at least a dozen xp machines still

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Thanks for confirming what I said, it's simply dentists choosing profits over patient data security.
Obviously you have never worked in any form in the IT industry- telling a customer (or worse your boss if employed inhouse) that- bah its too old- I know it still works perfectly fine, but you have to spend $$$(in my case, probably several MILLION dollars) on new machines, even tho the old ones work perfectly well- because why?- oh they dont run vista,win7,win8,win10 will rapidly see you in your exciting new career as burger flipper,windscreen washer,panhandler (delete as applicable)

eta- thats one of the 2 98se machines in all its glory lol
they are all networked (on an internal lan) with a single machine in the office acting as the gateway portal to the internet (as the designs are usually done offsite by the customer and emailed to the workshop), and despite 'some people' thinking that because they run older machines they 'obviously' dont care about security, any time this system goes down it can cost big $$$ so they are as well protected as is possible (mainly by isolating the internal lan from the interwebs and closing off as many as the huge holes left by microsoft as is possible (some of which are still open in win10- so much for running new o/s's mean you are safe lol)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 22nd January 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:08 PM   #62
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I meant like an application, not scripts etc. And "use" was kinda vague, I was thinking at least semi-regularly ish.

I loved Office 97. If I could find it I'd still use it. I guess mine is Ultraedit, about 15-20 yrs old now?
Check your PMs
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:08 AM   #63
eerok
Quixoticist

The oldest software for me is probably Emacs, which I've used since I started with Linux 23 years ago. Not only do I use Emacs every day, I'm learning Elisp so I can write customizations for it.
Old 24th January 2018, 02:39 AM   #64
lauwersw
Scholar

Every few years I play the original civilization game again, written in 1991. I have to run it in dosbox but that works great.

I just dug up my old Tandy Chess computer for my oldest son, who got interested in playing chess. It's a physical board with magnetic contacts, using led lights around the board to indicate pieces to be moved. I had to screw it open to remove the burst batteries, last replaced probably 25 years ago, but after that it worked perfectly again. Still can't beat it... Apparently it was developed in 1987, but I bought it more around 1990.

https://tluif.home.xs4all.nl/chescom/Tan1850.jpg
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 04:19 AM   #65
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I hear it's coming out right after Half-Life 3.
I was using the catch phrase of the Commanders 'Mighty Boosh' character
Old 24th January 2018, 04:45 AM   #66
TX50
Graduate Poster

I still have a COBOL compiler bit-rotting away on a disk somewhere - left over from uni days. Don't use it any more though.

I am a Sierra Hotel F-16 jock in Falcon 4 (1997 - albeit all done up in lipstick and high heels with the latest 3rd party mods).
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 12:46 PM   #67
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
Every few years I play the original civilization game again, written in 1991. I have to run it in dosbox but that works great.

I just dug up my old Tandy Chess computer for my oldest son, who got interested in playing chess. It's a physical board with magnetic contacts, using led lights around the board to indicate pieces to be moved. I had to screw it open to remove the burst batteries, last replaced probably 25 years ago, but after that it worked perfectly again. Still can't beat it... Apparently it was developed in 1987, but I bought it more around 1990.

https://tluif.home.xs4all.nl/chescom/Tan1850.jpg
Right, Tandy Ches... again, does embedded software count? Because who can forget [Merlin]. Mine still works. Wonder if a 40 year old shitbox is even worth anything.
Old 25th January 2018, 01:10 PM   #68
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I'd bet there's a collector out there that'd offer decent money for it. I've seen old computer systems (like Macintosh 128K computers) go for decent money.

I do see a Merlin for $288 on eBay.

That being said, there are also about 6 others for $18 to $70, so...
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 01:13 PM   #69
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I'd bet there's a collector out there that'd offer decent money for it. I've seen old computer systems (like Macintosh 128K computers) go for decent money.

I do see a Merlin for $288 on eBay.

That being said, there are also about 6 others for $18 to $70, so...
I've been pitched five figure offers for my SE, since it's in working condition and has Oregon Trail on it. I keep turning them down, but lately I've been thinking I should sell it before it completely dies. The OS is on a floppy, I can't predict when the media will finally corrupt.
Old 27th January 2018, 12:40 PM   #70
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Paint Shop Pro 7 (like the "o'le time religion", it's good enough for me)
Arquinauta (if I'm lucky)
Aldus Pagemaker 4 (if I'm luckier)

Never tried the last 2 since Windows 10 (arghhh!). Afraid to find the result.
Old 28th January 2018, 03:56 PM   #71
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I still play games on the BBC Micro, although these days I use an emulator (because my brother just gave the physical computer away to someone at work one day, for no adequately explained reason). Chuckie Egg is still a hell of a lot of fun, and that's from 1982. If that doesn't count, I'm still known to play Doom and System Shock from time to time, so that's 93/94.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 28th January 2018 at 03:57 PM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2018, 04:51 PM   #72
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Over the years I've used Compaq DOS, DR-DOS with 4DOS shell and Windows 3.11, OS/2 with 4DOS shell, and finally Linux. I effectively retired all my DOS software when I moved to Linux, although with emulation I suppose I could resurrect a good chunk of it—I kept all the binaries.

Currently the oldest software in general use on my system is the picture viewer program xv. Its last official release was 3.10a in 1994, although various people have been maintaining it since to ensure it still runs on modern Linux systems. Getting the original 25 year old code to compile today can be a challenge.

I wrote a shell script in 2002 to maintain an encrypted password file and have used it ever since. I wrote it out of necessity because I couldn't find a program to do it for me. 2002 was the same year Password Safe was released, but it's a Windows only program. Today there's also KeePass (for Windows, first release n 2003) and KeePassX (for Linux, first release in 2012.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2018, 04:50 AM   #73
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Hey, I still have the first two programs I wrote in FORTRAN and overpunched back in 1978. I run these on the powerful 256KB RAM IBM77 (I think it was 8MHz or so) at my school. Where can I run those again? A jacquard machine?
Old 29th January 2018, 01:33 PM   #74
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I wrote a shell script in 2002 to maintain an encrypted password file and have used it ever since.
Good question... are shell scripts independent pieces of software.

I still have a script called "l" which I use to list directories. (it just runs "ls - alF")

That must date to maybe 1993 or so.

Last edited by blutoski; 29th January 2018 at 01:34 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 07:58 AM   #75
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Good question... are shell scripts independent pieces of software.

I still have a script called "l" which I use to list directories. (it just runs "ls - alF")

That must date to maybe 1993 or so.
Well, that little script does only one thing and could easily be put into a bash alias. But I'll venture that even something as simple as two commands separated by a pipe and put into a script file would count as an independent piece of software. It's an extremely simple piece of software, and perhaps something a ten year old could write, but it still counts as software because it performs a task that prior to its writing the system was unable to do on its own.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 30th January 2018 at 08:01 AM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 08:14 AM   #76
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I've been wondering who stole that script from me.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet