ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th February 2018, 07:52 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
If one clone has sex with another clone (of itself) does that count as masturbation?
No.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 08:11 AM   #42
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But saying a gene has a goal is still hugely anthropomorphizing it.
When did I say anything about genes having a goal?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 08:13 AM   #43
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
If one clone has sex with another clone (of itself) does that count as masturbation?
Ask some identical twins. I doubt they'd think having sex with each other is same thing as masturbation.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 08:20 AM   #44
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Being genetically identical would mean they are all vulnerable to the same disease, once that disease emerges. Cricket bat willows, for those interested, are genetically identical. A willow disease could wipe out the sport.
Same as bananas.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/21/worl...-un-group.html

At least the ones we like...............
Note that this is not new news - just most people do not pay attention to this stuff. It's all sciencey *!!!!!!!

*Yes, this is a reference to a thread on Americans lack of knowledge about important science stuff...............
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 08:25 AM   #45
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Ask some identical twins. I doubt they'd think having sex with each other is same thing as masturbation.
Oddly enough, in the seventies.............
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128720/reviews
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 11:21 AM   #46
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Hens lay about an egg a day, whether they are fertilized or not. If you have no, rooster the eggs will be infertile and unable to hatch. It is not really possible to tell by looking at a fresh egg weather it was fertilized or not, you have to incubate and see if it starts developing.
I've never heard of an unfertilized chicken egg hatching, I think it's impossible.
My mom (who grew up on farms and ranches) told me that you could identify fertile eggs by "candling" (shining light through the eggs). I don't remember details like whether the eggs had to develop for some period of time. If you open the eggs, fertile eggs are readily identifiable by a red spot on the yolk (the beginning of the embryo, which has a bit of blood (or hemoglobin, anyway) in it. I believe that this is visible if you shine a lite through the egg. I haven't actually tried this myself (there are usually not very many fertile eggs in grocery store eggs; I would guess no more than one in one hundred).

Last edited by CORed; 1st March 2018 at 11:39 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 09:48 PM   #47
Cheetah
Muse

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Trust me, you can tell.

The embryo was the size of a baked bean. Rather than the tiny spec (about the size of a match head, that is normally present).
Your link disagrees with you.
I've had chickens for many years, never seen an embryo larger than a small brown spot, a mm or three, in an freshly laid egg. The occasional, not incubated egg, develops a slightly larger embryo and a blood spot, but only after some days. Even then, according to your link, you cannot tell if it was fertilized or not, since some unfertilized eggs develop further.
I'm now assuming that the occasional egg that does develop a blood spot without being incubated, must actually be an unfertilized egg.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
My mom (who grew up on farms and ranches) told me that you could identify fertile eggs by "candling" (shining light through the eggs). I don't remember details like whether the eggs had to develop for some period of time. If you open the eggs, fertile eggs are readily identifiable by a red spot on the yolk (the beginning of the embryo, which has a bit of blood (or hemoglobin, anyway) in it. I believe that this is visible if you shine a lite through the egg. I haven't actually tried this myself (there are usually not very many fertile eggs in grocery store eggs; I would guess no more than one in one hundred).
I do candling all the time, it's very easy with a new bright led torch instead of a candle.
You can only see the embryo after about a week or more of incubation, before that it's just too small to be visible.

Last edited by Cheetah; 1st March 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology