ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th June 2018, 10:57 AM   #1081
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Oh, but he never claimed to be a prophet. Didn't you know that? This is one of those cases I alluded to earlier where ParkSkeptic just walks right up to the obvious line but refuses to cross it so that he can split that hair later.
It's a mewling cowardice on his part that reminds me of a verse from Revelations:

Revelation 3:16
Quote:
So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
Frankly I don't know why he bothers. If he thinks he's a prophet he should come out an say it. If he doesn't, then he should stick to political forums and admit he's just spouting his opinion. As it is, all he's really doing is admitting he has no confidence in either his predictive powers or his logic. He has no faith to speak of in any kind of deity and is so terrified of his own opinion he has to dress it up in the most pathetic sheen of religion to have the courage to express it.

The semantic game he's trying to play is like an alchemist insisting he can transmute lead into gold and "proving" it by presenting us with a lump of iron dusted with glitter.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:20 AM   #1082
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Enough to be able to connect to the Ultimate Reality and make changes if it suits the purpose. The purpose being to coax mankind into achieving ever greater things rather than killing himself (and the planet) off.

What you think of God does not really matter to him/her/it I would think. It does not matter to me. Your opinion does not change the truth of things. I see evidence God exists, you do not. One of us is wrong about his existence.
You are simply seeing what you want to see, therefore you are the one who is wrong.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:28 AM   #1083
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I see evidence God exists
I don't think so.

You're far too pleading for me to believe you actually have the faith you profess. You conduct yourself not as a man who has sincere beliefs, but as a man who has severe doubts and is trying to talk himself into believing. I suspect that's why you're so pathetically desperate to have someone believe you're capable of making supernatural predictions of some kind. If someone else believes it, then you may be able to convince yourself to believe it too.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:32 AM   #1084
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Mate, if you think that today's society is nasty, an estimate of the murder rate in medieval continental Europe puts it at 110 TIMES the current murder rate.

Or take the Qin wars of unification, and specifically the battle of Changping. About 600,000 souls perished in that one battle alone, some 400,000 in the last day alone... because they were buried alive when they surrendered. At a time when the total world population is estimated at 150 million, about 0.4% of the total EARTH population died in one battle, and about 0.25% (rounded down) of the total world population died IN ONE DAY.
in another post you were advised to pay no heed to such figures from ancient China.

May I add my voice to that advice? I think I can say with confidence that never in any ancient battle were 400,000 prisoners buried alive in one day. That's a tale I don't believe. Not because of moral constraints on such a crime, but purely on account of the manifest physical impossibility of an operation on that scale.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:24 PM   #1085
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
in another post you were advised to pay no heed to such figures from ancient China.

May I add my voice to that advice? I think I can say with confidence that never in any ancient battle were 400,000 prisoners buried alive in one day. That's a tale I don't believe. Not because of moral constraints on such a crime, but purely on account of the manifest physical impossibility of an operation on that scale.
I can't imagine the location of a series of mass graves that large would remain hidden from modern archaeology, even in a country as large as China.
Old 14th June 2018, 01:11 PM   #1086
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post

Well, I can even concede that, and still have a point that we're living in the safest times ever.

Edit: hell, I don't even need to go back to ancient times anywhere. Just looking at WW1 and WW2 is more than enough to make the case that dummies thinking that OMG, Iraq and Afghanistan and now Yemen are such warfare that the end is near, are just that: dummies. And for disease, literally I only have to look back a single century to find the Spanish Flu to make that case.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 14th June 2018 at 01:18 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 01:16 PM   #1087
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Well, I can even concede that, and still have a point that we're living in the safest times ever.
I heartily agree with that point. We live longer, and are less likely than people of previous generations to die of hunger, disease, or violence. Many of us live until our organs conk out. We die of decay.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy