IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 1st March 2021, 07:43 PM   #2081
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
As a matter of fact, I think there was a period of time where it was considered the more acceptable form of address compared to "black", which so far as I know has switched places. In my experience few object to referring to "black" people, but other terms are preferred, such as "African-American" or "person of color".

I would expect anyone that had actually lived through the time since be aware of it, but old speaking habits die hard.

From the 80s:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWystGDXkAIUGiW.jpg
I'm looking forward to the day when it's just "people".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 08:40 PM   #2082
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Sort of--I mean, there will always be reasons to refer to someone's appearance, like "That redhead over there." or "the tall one."

Also no matter how color blind more civil people behave, as long as there are bigots, discriminating against people who look different will be a problem, and we need to be able to talk about it.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 05:53 AM   #2083
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when it's just "people".
I’ll bet if we’re still around 1,000 years from now, everyone will be a pleasant shade of brown.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:01 AM   #2084
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I’ll bet if we’re still around 1,000 years from now, everyone will be a pleasant shade of brown.
What we need is a great big melting pot.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:21 AM   #2085
Armitage72
Philosopher

There was a short story that I read in elementary school or junior high that I've been unable to identify or locate since then, so I'm not sure if it was a legitimately published story or something created for a textbook.
It's set in the future, when humanity's skin and hair have become a uniform shade of gray, although eye color has expanded significantly. A teacher, intending to teach his class about the different races that used to exist, gives his class an assignment to investigate their family trees and discover what races their ancestors were. This has the side effect of reintroducing racism based on ancestry. In retrospect, it doesn't really make sense, since if humanity is this blended, then everyone will have every race in their ancestry. It starts with taunts like "My ancestors owned your ancestors", moves to some students calling other students "animals", and culminates in physical assault. The teacher, horrified by the effects of his lesson, is able to shame the students into abandoning their new behavior.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:49 AM   #2086
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Did you get that from South Park?

(There was an episode where time travelers from the future were coming to South park to find jobs. It was explained that they all looked grey as they were a mix of all races and the language was incompressible as it was a mix of all languages)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:58 AM   #2087
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What we need is a great big melting pot.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

That is ...

remarkably cheesy.

Also very bad.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:01 AM   #2088
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was a short story that I read in elementary school or junior high that I've been unable to identify or locate since then, so I'm not sure if it was a legitimately published story or something created for a textbook.
It's set in the future, when humanity's skin and hair have become a uniform shade of gray, although eye color has expanded significantly. A teacher, intending to teach his class about the different races that used to exist, gives his class an assignment to investigate their family trees and discover what races their ancestors were. This has the side effect of reintroducing racism based on ancestry. In retrospect, it doesn't really make sense, since if humanity is this blended, then everyone will have every race in their ancestry. It starts with taunts like "My ancestors owned your ancestors", moves to some students calling other students "animals", and culminates in physical assault. The teacher, horrified by the effects of his lesson, is able to shame the students into abandoning their new behavior.

Plenty of cultures have managed to find ways to maintain bigotry without any need for differences in skin color.

Skin color just makes it easier.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:12 AM   #2089
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was an experiment with elementary school kids done in the 50s, where half the class was assigned to wear brown collars, and the other not. The collar kids were arbitrarily shamed by the teacher, and the other kids followed suit. It was heartbreaking to see one little girl off by herself on the playground because no one would talk to her. I can only imagine the psychological trauma the experiment caused.
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:24 AM   #2090
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
There was an experiment with elementary school kids done in the 50s, where half the class was assigned to wear brown collars, and the other not. The collar kids were arbitrarily shamed by the teacher, and the other kids followed suit. It was heartbreaking to see one little girl off by herself on the playground because no one would talk to her. I can only imagine the psychological trauma the experiment caused.
Our 8th grade civics class did something similar, only using earlobes as the divider. Attached or unattached. There was a bit of controversy since that anatomical feature isn't binary, but actually more of a spectrum. Teacher made the call in intermediate cases, which was used as part of the learning experience.

It only went on for a couple of days, and the privileged group was switched. Still a somewhat enlightening exercise.

Old 2nd March 2021, 09:49 AM   #2091
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Nope. Just personal observation and experience.

I’ve come across numerous actors and actresses that identify as “black”, where that wasn’t at all obvious to me. Or Asian heritage which is barely recognizable as such. On the personal side, my first wife was East Indian and had very dark skin. Our daughter turned out that “pleasant shade of brown”*, that in S FL is often mistaken for Hispanic.

And logically, that such mixing is inevitable as travel across regions becomes easier and easier.

*I don’t mean to imply that white, red, yellow or black are not equally pleasant.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 2nd March 2021 at 09:50 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:15 AM   #2092
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

(There was an episode where time travelers from the future were coming to South park to find jobs. It was explained that they all looked grey as they were a mix of all races and the language was incompressible as it was a mix of all languages)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I first heard it from Warren Beatty's character in Bulworth

"All we need is a voluntary, free spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep ******* everybody til they're all the same color"
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #2093
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of Trump-related stories...

House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., has reissued a subpoena to former President Donald Trump’s accounting firm Mazars USA for financial records related to the panel’s investigations into presidential conflicts of interest....the new subpoena will again be “for financial records related to the committee’s investigations into presidential conflicts of interest, presidential contracts with the federal government and self-dealing, and presidential emoluments.”

Remember that the house had requested financial documents before, but were stonewalled by Trump until the supreme court ruling. Not sure if there will be any sort of pushback now (but congress will have to show there is some sort of legislative purpose for the request).

The Republican National Committee and the party's congressional campaign arms are eager to cash in on Trump's lure with small donors ahead of next year's midterm elections, when the GOP hopes to regain control of at least one chamber of Congress. But there's a problem: Trump himself. In his first speech since leaving office, the former president encouraged loyalists to give directly to him, essentially bypassing the traditional groups that raise money for GOP candidates.

So Trump is putting himself in a position where he has even more control over the GOP, by having more control over the republican purse strings. Republicans should be worried.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #2094
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

So Trump is putting himself in a position where he has even more control over the GOP, by having more control over the republican purse strings. Republicans should be worried.
No he isn't, it's simple grift. The rest of the GOP won't see a dime.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #2095
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not. As skin colors are greatly affected by other factors other than DNA. Also certain genes are triggered. There's a reason that people who live further away from the poles are darker.
Old Today, 04:24 AM   #2096
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Plenty of cultures have managed to find ways to maintain bigotry without any need for differences in skin color.

Skin color just makes it easier.
Among other groups - white folks with "southern" accents mostly learn to code switch when they move up north - even in the same country, bias based on regional accents are a thing.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #2097
Belz...
Fiend God

Aren't we already?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #2098
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why is that Kushner boy at the top center of the CNN splash page right now? The headline reads "Kushner no longer in Trump's political orbit". Who cares. This qualifies as letting Trump and his nits who grew into lice live rent free in your head. "Earned" media is how we got stuck with Trump and his band of failed genetic experiments in the first place.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #2099
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Yep, Trump is going to siphon all the small donors and some of the large donors from the GOP and spend the money on infighting instead of supporting the GOP.

That's what happens when you put a lifelong Democrat in charge of the GOP. He can't help put revert to the circular firing squad.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #2100
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Quote:
True, using campaign donations to line his own pockets is Trump's main goal.

But, he is also a narcissist. He may donate small, token amounts to various Republican candidates just to keep them worshiping at the alter of Trump.

(And even if he doesn't.... its still bad for the GOP since it is still soaking up potential political donations that might have otherwise gone to various candidates.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #2101
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yep, Trump is going to siphon all the small donors and some of the large donors from the GOP and spend the money on infighting instead of supporting the GOP.

That's what happens when you put a lifelong Democrat in charge of the GOP. He can't help put revert to the circular firing squad.
I don't think you can consider Trump a 'lifelong Democrat'... True, he did support the party in the past , but he tended to bounce around between parties:
1987 - Registers as a republican
1999 - Registers as member of NY state reform party
2000 - Runs as candidate for reform party
2001 - Registers as a democrat
2009 - Registers as a republican
2011 - Is unaffiliated with all parties
2012 - Registers as a republican, Endorses Romney

So from the looks of things, he as probably spent less time as a Democrat than as a republican/independent/3rd party.

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #2102
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I don't think you can consider Trump a 'lifelong Democrat'... True, he did support the party in the past , but he tended to bounce around between parties:
1987 - Registers as a republican
1999 - Registers as member of NY state reform party
2000 - Runs as candidate for reform party
2001 - Registers as a democrat
2009 - Registers as a republican
2011 - Is unaffiliated with all parties
2012 - Registers as a republican, Endorses Romney

So from the looks of things, he as probably spent less time as a Democrat than as a republican/independent/3rd party.
I'm sorry my off-the-cuff, self-deprecating dig at the Democratic party and its long running inability to avoid self harm has caused you to fact check its premise. But I do appreciate the thoroughness.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #2103
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Among other groups - white folks with "southern" accents mostly learn to code switch when they move up north - even in the same country, bias based on regional accents are a thing.
New York has several distinct dialects, yet some time way back, a decision was made that national broadcasts should strive for an upper Midwest style of speaking.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #2104
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

But, he is also a narcissist. He may donate small, token amounts to various Republican candidates just to keep them worshiping at the alter of Trump.

(And even if he doesn't.... its still bad for the GOP since it is still soaking up potential political donations that might have otherwise gone to various candidates.)
If he's smart (or can follow a smart playbook) he could be setting himself up as a major magnate in terms of who he will or won't turn the faucet on for. As he scoops up a segment of the donor dollars, he becomes a source of patronage outside the control of the committees and party organs.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #2105
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
If he's smart (or can follow a smart playbook) he could be setting himself up as a major magnate in terms of who he will or won't turn the faucet on for. As he scoops up a segment of the donor dollars, he becomes a source of patronage outside the control of the committees and party organs.
He will turn the faucet on for Trump. Others may get a bit here and there, but it will all be about Trump and for Trump.

Old Today, 12:19 PM   #2106
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
He will turn the faucet on for Trump. Others may get a bit here and there, but it will all be about Trump and for Trump.
This. Because he has massive bills outstanding right now, plus a whole slew of expensive law suits to lose and lawyers to pay.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #2107
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This. Because he has massive bills outstanding right now, plus a whole slew of expensive law suits to lose and lawyers to pay.
The evidence seems to be quite clear: all Trump’s lawyers work pro bono….
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #2108
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The evidence seems to be quite clear: all Trump’s lawyers work pro bono….
Pro bono = for the good, i.e. out of the goodness of their hearts. ...no lawyer working for T**** has goodness in his heart.

I suspect any lawyer working for T**** in recent years gets paid in rubles or riyals offshore.
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #2109
eerok
Quixoticist

Pro bono = for the good
Working for Trump is more like pro stultus.
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #2110
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Pro bono = for the good, i.e. out of the goodness of their hearts. ...no lawyer working for T**** has goodness in his heart.

I suspect any lawyer working for T**** in recent years gets paid in rubles or riyals offshore.
Based on his history, I think they feel lucky to get paid at all.

Old Today, 01:06 PM   #2111
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I think that's probably his plan. But, we'll see how far a Trump endorsement and him gate keeping the campaign funding gets them.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:33 PM   #2112
SezMe
post-pre-born

And beyond that, if he does support primary candidates who are of the QAnon variety, they will lose in almost all cases in the general election. GO TRUMP!
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics