IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , joe biden , political speculation , politics humor

Old 22nd January 2021, 01:34 AM   #1
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Trump's letter in the desk to Biden

Does anyone believe Biden's description of the letter, where he said it was generous in it's tone? What does everyone think it was like?
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:37 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I suspect it was a decent letter. Not sure if Trump's staff didn't write it though. It was typed. Does Trumpy even know how to type except tweets?

I believe Trump was too angry to write it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:51 AM   #3
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I suspect it was a decent letter. Not sure if Trump's staff didn't write it though. It was typed. Does Trumpy even know how to type except tweets?

I believe Trump was too angry to write it.
I read Melanie staffed out the goodbye letters to the entire WH household staff. Just signed them.
Yeah... you Be Best girl.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:23 AM   #4
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I read Melanie staffed out the goodbye letters to the entire WH household staff. Just signed them.
I know this is totally wrong, but whenever Melania talks about "Be Best", I can't help but think about Zoolander's "Center for Kids who Can't Read Good or do Other Stuff Good."

Last edited by Craig4; 22nd January 2021 at 02:24 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:44 AM   #5
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

I'm sure everyone agrees that it was the best letter ever written by a defrauded, outgoing president. And that it was totally appropriate too.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:13 AM   #6
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If Trump actually wrote the letter in question, then one can be sure that it had some typographical errors in it and that the letter reads like one of his stupid Tweets.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:23 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's a bill for the Oval Office minibar.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:25 AM   #8
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
Does anyone believe Biden's description of the letter, where he said it was generous in it's tone? What does everyone think it was like?
Maybe it was just a big check written out, pay to the order of, "Cash"?
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:43 AM   #9
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Maybe it was just a big check written out, pay to the order of, "Cash"?

From Trump? Not a chance.

Something written by the staff would be my bet.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:44 AM   #10
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

If Melania didn't write her letter, there's no way Trump wrote his, so yeah, I can believe it was decent / generous. Do I believe it was from Trump / reflected his thoughts? Not a chance.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:53 AM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I was going to write a joke about the letter being written in crayon, but I can't be bothered, they haven't aged well. I think it was the attempted coup that did it. He's always been a horrible person, but after the January 6th coup attempt...
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:01 AM   #12
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

I heard Biden say that the letter was 'generous'. That could simply mean that it was written on a large piece of paper.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:18 AM   #13
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

maybe it was a 20% off Coupon for the Trump Hotel DC ?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:23 AM   #14
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
maybe it was a 20% off Coupon for the Trump Hotel DC ?
... with "22" written over the 20 with a sharpie. That's the generous part.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:42 AM   #15
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I am sure calling it "generous" was Biden just being nice.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:46 AM   #16
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

"Joe,

You know I won.

- Donny

P.S. Your wife is ugly"
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:54 AM   #17
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I saw Melania's departure speech in which see said how wonderful America was when an illegal nude "model" immigrant from a communist country could rise to the height of FLOTUS"

No. Sorry that was the other Universe. Never mind.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:56 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My own weird take on it. I actually bet that the letter was Trump actually trying to be gracious, which means it was Trump trying to sound like what he thinks a gracious person sounds like, which makes me want to know what it says more than if I just suspected it was directly mean spirited.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:58 AM   #19
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I am sure calling it "generous" was Biden just being nice.
I really, really want to believe Donnie pulled it together for a moment and you're wrong.
I... lack confidence in that hope.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:00 AM   #20
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
My own weird take on it. I actually bet that the letter was Trump actually trying to be gracious, which means it was Trump trying to sound like what he thinks a gracious person sounds like, which makes me want to know what it says more than if I just suspected it was directly mean spirited.
Yeah, I'll go with that one as well.

Old 22nd January 2021, 08:01 AM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think Biden knows that the less Trump's name is said the better. Saying the letter was anything but generous gives the story legs. Best just let it go.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:21 AM   #22
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

There's not a goddamn chance in hell that Donny wrote it. Somebody else wrote it, forged his signature and put it there after Trump left.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:26 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There's not a goddamn chance in hell that Donny wrote it. Somebody else wrote it, forged his signature and put it there after Trump left.
"This is an inkjet printout of a poor resolution stock photo of the one Bush left for Clinton. It still has the Gettyimages watermark on it. It's not even on the White House letterhead it's printed on the back of Chinese takeout menu. You just crossed out all the names and wrote Trump and Biden's names in their places. And you misspelled Biden. AND TRUMP."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:33 AM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Deer Jo, u kan haf my last 3 Diet Cokes, luv PERSIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP".
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:49 AM   #25
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
I heard Biden say that the letter was 'generous'. That could simply mean that it was written on a large piece of paper.
When your favorite pen is a Sharpie, that'd actually make sense.
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:42 AM   #26
Worm
Illuminator

He probably just photcopied Obama's letter and wrote 'Donnie Trump' in sharpie at the bottom.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:45 AM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The "letter" was a stack of 100 dollar bills with "Please don't let them impeach me. Dear God Joe do you know how bad I would do in prison!" on them.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:38 AM   #28
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Deer Jo, u kan haf my last 3 Diet Cokes, luv PERSIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP".
P.S. the covfefe masheen is broken.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:03 PM   #29
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Dear Joe, I know where you live. DJT

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:57 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I was going to write a joke about the letter being written in crayon sharpie, but I can't be bothered, they haven't aged well. I think it was the attempted coup that did it. He's always been a horrible person, but after the January 6th coup attempt...
FTFY
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:48 PM   #31
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Dear Joe,

My inauguration crowd was much more bigly than yours. I win.

President Donald J. Trump
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:36 PM   #32
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has it in him not to be a complete ****. During the 2016 election he sort of broke character and said something nice about Hillary - like she was a smart woman and a hell of a fighter, but, paraphrase.

There's no point at all in alienating Biden so his self-interest would dictate that he not quite grovel but give Joe some credit where it may be due. I doubt if he's emotionally equipped to say, "You won fair and square," but he could say something about how Biden fought the race with some class. I think he knows what class is.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:38 PM   #33
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The "letter" was a stack of 100 dollar bills with "Please don't let them impeach me. Dear God Joe do you know how bad I would do in prison!" on them.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:42 PM   #34
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I am intrigued over how she staffed then out. Did 2 or 3 people write all of them or was it more of a Secret Santa thing where each staffer had to write a letter to a randomly-selected staffer?

Given the tone in the WH since Jan 6, I’ll offer even money that she staffed out the signatures, too.

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
I'm sure everyone agrees that it was the best letter ever written by a defrauded, outgoing president. And that it was totally appropriate too.
Not defrauded, defrauding. (or even defrocked)

ETA
While checking the definition, I came across this notation

Defraud stresses depriving one of his or her rights and usually connotes deliberate perversion of the truth.
Swindle implies large-scale cheating by misrepresentation or abuse of confidence.

Donny gets a twofer.

Last edited by Ladewig; 22nd January 2021 at 05:49 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:47 PM   #35
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump part with money? The man is a living Scrooge McDuck.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:54 PM   #36
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Not defrauded, defrauding. (or even defrocked)
Defrauded was the intentional and appropriate term. That was an ironic statement.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:01 PM   #37
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
"Joe,

You know I won.

- Donny

P.S. Your wife is ugly"
Oh First Lady is definitely Trump's type.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:29 PM   #38
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's a bill for the Oval Office minibar.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:34 AM   #39
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Trump part with money? The man is a living Scrooge McDuck.
Confederate currency donated by one of his older southern supporters?
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:39 PM   #40
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Trump has it in him not to be a complete ****. During the 2016 election he sort of broke character and said something nice about Hillary - like she was a smart woman and a hell of a fighter, but, paraphrase.

There's no point at all in alienating Biden so his self-interest would dictate that he not quite grovel but give Joe some credit where it may be due. I doubt if he's emotionally equipped to say, "You won fair and square," but he could say something about how Biden fought the race with some class. I think he knows what class is.
Of course he does, that's why he knew that the attempted coup looked so low class.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics