ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags paranormal

Old 8th June 2019, 05:31 PM   #41
curious cat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Really? King's writing is full of deus ex machina moments. Demons ex machina as well.

I call it reverse senility - where you forget you've already taken care of something. What a shock to find things where they belong, right?
What is name of the naughty German fellow hiding my things from me around the house?
Alzheimer, grandma, Alzheimer...
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 05:59 PM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It can be even worse than that. Part of a dream can include telling yourself that "this is really real and isn't some crazy imagined fantasy".
Sure, though for me it happens more often that I realise that it's a dream, and then begin to manipulate the dream reality for my amusement.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
They can be.

I dreamed my grandfather visited me a few weeks after he had passed on.

But I didn't know at the time that it was a dream.
I'm not saying that you know as you're dreaming that it's a dream. You rarely do. I'm saying that they are not realistic in the sense that if you were lucid you'd notice immediately. But you're definitely not lucid when dreaming.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 11:49 AM   #43
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sure, though for me it happens more often that I realise that it's a dream, and then begin to manipulate the dream reality for my amusement.

I'm not saying that you know as you're dreaming that it's a dream. You rarely do. I'm saying that they are not realistic in the sense that if you were lucid you'd notice immediately. But you're definitely not lucid when dreaming.
I've been lucid dreaming for 30 years. I almost always know immediately because these dreams are TOO real, but take place in locations from my past which no longer exist. These dreams are fantastic, their detail, and sensory recreations make me jealous that I can't pull the same thing off while awake. I can open drawers and see things I'd forgotten I owned exactly where they would have been. I can open doors and enter rooms where everything is as it was. Lucid dreaming takes practice.

In the case of the OP, it is situation akin to sleep walking where the person is mostly awake, but a key part of the brain is somewhere in between dream state and waking.

It has to be, otherwise she saw a ghost.
Old 9th June 2019, 02:40 PM   #44
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
I am very familiar with hypnopompic and hypnogogic hallucinations, as my neurological meds cause me to have them and night terrors fairly regularly (I was not yet on them when this happened).
Given this information I'm not sure what is inexplicable about your experience, or even inexplicably inexplicable.

All of us are susceptible to odd experiences, hallucinations, etc., now and then. Even if your memory of events is accurate enough to know for sure that this event occurred before you began medications that you know result in somewhat similar experiences for you now, it is evidently the case that when this event took place you were either on other medications or in need of them. Hallucinations are both a common symptom of neurological disorders that call for medication and a side effect of some such medications.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:06 AM   #45
BTMR444
Student

I have a similar story to OP. When I was around 12 I had a hamster that would run in its wheel in the middle of the night and make a lot of noise, and even though it was in another room, I could hear it. My dad and I used to sleep in the same room (not enough rooms in the house to have our own).

On numerous separate occasions, my dad woke in the middle of the night to find me rummaging through our room. He asks what I'm looking for and I say the hamster escaped and I need to find it. He says what are you talking about, I can hear it running in its wheel right now. I then realize I can hear it to, and I go into the other room and see it's locked in its cage running in its wheel.

The weird part was that it happened like 2-4 times over maybe a 6 month period (rough figures, it was a long time ago). To the point where my dad would get angry and yell "the hamster didn't escape, go back to bed!"

My dad remembers the events the same way and we joke about it years later.

Our best explanation is that since I had let the hamster escape before (for real), I was worried it would happen again. When I heard the noise while sleeping, I knew it was the hamster making the noise, and it triggered my fear that the hamster escaped again, but since I was sleeping, I confused fear with reality, and then proceeded to look for the hamster in a sleepwalking-type state.

I think the only real difference between OP and I was that I had someone there to wake me up and allow me to realize I was sleepwalking, whereas she didn't so she still thinks it actually happened, when really maybe only half of it actually did and the other half was a dream.
BTMR444 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:08 AM   #46
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BTMR444 View Post
I have a similar story to OP. When I was around 12 I had a hamster that would run in its wheel in the middle of the night and make a lot of noise, and even though it was in another room, I could hear it. My dad and I used to sleep in the same room (not enough rooms in the house to have our own).

On numerous separate occasions, my dad woke in the middle of the night to find me rummaging through our room. He asks what I'm looking for and I say the hamster escaped and I need to find it. He says what are you talking about, I can hear it running in its wheel right now. I then realize I can hear it to, and I go into the other room and see it's locked in its cage running in its wheel.

The weird part was that it happened like 2-4 times over maybe a 6 month period (rough figures, it was a long time ago). To the point where my dad would get angry and yell "the hamster didn't escape, go back to bed!"

My dad remembers the events the same way and we joke about it years later.

Our best explanation is that since I had let the hamster escape before (for real), I was worried it would happen again. When I heard the noise while sleeping, I knew it was the hamster making the noise, and it triggered my fear that the hamster escaped again, but since I was sleeping, I confused fear with reality, and then proceeded to look for the hamster in a sleepwalking-type state.

I think the only real difference between OP and I was that I had someone there to wake me up and allow me to realize I was sleepwalking, whereas she didn't so she still thinks it actually happened, when really maybe only half of it actually did and the other half was a dream.
The lesson of the story is, get a diurnal pet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:27 AM   #47
BTMR444
Student

I should add, whenever my dad woke me up, I was sure I just saw the hamster crawl through my bed. So there was hallucination involved.

Also, it's very telling to me that it happened to OP right before her husband got home. Her internal clock was expecting him to come home, her mind confused expectation with reality, and then hallucinated because her mind fills in what its expecting.
BTMR444 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:34 AM   #48
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

"The hamster has escaped", fnarr, fnarr, snerk.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:49 AM   #49
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
inexplicably inexplicable
I can't read this thread title without hearing it in Daffy Duck's voice.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:16 AM   #50
Senex
Philosopher

I've been lucid dreaming for 30 years. I almost always know immediately because these dreams are TOO real, but take place in locations from my past which no longer exist. These dreams are fantastic, their detail, and sensory recreations make me jealous that I can't pull the same thing off while awake. I can open drawers and see things I'd forgotten I owned exactly where they would have been. I can open doors and enter rooms where everything is as it was. Lucid dreaming takes practice.
I rarely have vivid dreams but during the few I've had I jumped through windows and opened doors as fast as possible to test my mind to see what it can come up with for me to see in as little time as possible. My imagination doesn't work nearly as quickly while awake.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:46 PM   #51
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

What results does that give you?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 06:27 AM   #52
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
What results does that give you?
I remember one vivid dream in particular (the one with the most doors and windows). I was in a hotel-like building and all the rooms had windows facing the interior corridor I could jump through to save time from using the door. I was certain I was dreaming at this point and I wanted to see how many different scenarios my brain could create in a short period of time. I remember going into rooms full of people and I would memorize a couple of the faces and then leave the room so I could return again and see if those people whose features I recognized were still being recreated. I would run down the corridor and pick random rooms to jump into (sometimes thinking I was being clever and doubling back to rooms I passed thinking I was tricking my brain). I remember running down a staircase with several doors on each floor. As I opened more and more doors the tableau in each room devolved in detail until it got to be just very plain with tired furniture.

Another novelty of my vivid dreams was I always dreamed I was sleeping in a room others were sleeping in and I was nervous I would wake them up because my limbs were flailing about.

It's been many years since I've had a vivid dream. I would pay a lot to have one because I've found them to be highly enjoyable.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 06:59 AM   #53
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

While living in a high-rise* dormitory in college, I had a vivid dream on morning of watching a specific truck pull up at the construction site outside. It was so clear I woke and jumped up to look out the window. The driver was just stepping down from the cab.

Obviously I'd seen the truck enough times to associated it with the sound of its engine.

*High-rise was 11 stories. One of the tallest buildings in Montana at the time.
Old 8th July 2019, 01:42 PM   #54
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
We had a tiny kitchen. The portable radio was in it. My boyfriend and I were in the other room when the radio came on by itself. We both were witnesses. We both went into the kitchen because the radio came on. You have to turn the dial for the radio to come on. This was long before everything was remote controlled except the TV.
That reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid, so probably around 1960. My parents had a alarm clock that was starting to act up. Sometimes going off and sometimes not. When my mom said they needed to get a new one, the alarm clock went off. Nobody touched it, or were even near it, and the alarm was set for hours earlier.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 02:08 PM   #55
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
I remember one vivid dream in particular (the one with the most doors and windows). I was in a hotel-like building and all the rooms had windows facing the interior corridor I could jump through to save time from using the door. I was certain I was dreaming at this point and I wanted to see how many different scenarios my brain could create in a short period of time. I remember going into rooms full of people and I would memorize a couple of the faces and then leave the room so I could return again and see if those people whose features I recognized were still being recreated. I would run down the corridor and pick random rooms to jump into (sometimes thinking I was being clever and doubling back to rooms I passed thinking I was tricking my brain). I remember running down a staircase with several doors on each floor. As I opened more and more doors the tableau in each room devolved in detail until it got to be just very plain with tired furniture.

Another novelty of my vivid dreams was I always dreamed I was sleeping in a room others were sleeping in and I was nervous I would wake them up because my limbs were flailing about.

It's been many years since I've had a vivid dream. I would pay a lot to have one because I've found them to be highly enjoyable.
My scariest dreams when I were little were falling ones. However, I knew that I'd never actually hit the ground and 'die' because I'd wake up before that. I had one dream where I was climbing in an area like Vasquez Rocks, and suddenly my younger sister was with me. I must have been on the cusp of waking up because I realized I was dreaming. I was getting bored with the dream, so I decided to jump off a cliff I "dreamed up" to wake myself. But since my sister was there I wanted to experiment. So, I grabbed her hand and pulled her off the cliff with me.

I was so disappointed that she didn't wake up, too.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:58 AM   #56
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't even think we need an explanation for it.

"Maybe I'm being watched" is pretty much a core requirement for a hunter-gatherer early human. That's a subroutine that pretty much always has to be running.
Pretty much, I've always talked about this when people have commented on the sensation of being watched. I don't find it at all surprising, it's perfectly natural for survival.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 09:00 AM   #57
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
As for the King story: Well, that was jolly good luck. However, especially in the good old when magazines were not as hard pressed economically, it was not that unusual for a magazine (or other publisher) to purchase material and never get around to publish it.

The editor might kinda like it, but in the end there wasn't a slot for it, so it stranded in a drawer, and a later editor didn't like it and binned it. And it was never unusual for magazines and publishers to take ages to pay for material.

None of which should be unknown to someone like King.

Hans
I don't think it was unknown to King, he just enjoys telling a good story.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 09:10 AM   #58
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

We had a tiny kitchen. The portable radio was in it. My boyfriend and I were in the other room when the radio came on by itself. We both were witnesses. We both went into the kitchen because the radio came on. You have to turn the dial for the radio to come on. This was long before everything was remote controlled except the TV.

And no, that is not a false memory.
There's a building in town which used to be a school back in the day, Sacred Heart's School, it is now Local Solutions, a charity that has operated on the site since the mid 70's.

I did security there for about a year or so, and every night as I was left in the building after closing, locking up, I'd have to check every room, every window, every light, etc, and it was a pain in the arse. Every night without fail, I'd leave the building to go and check the exterior doors behind the gardens in the back, and when I'd look up at the building, many of the lights in the rooms had come back on, and every other person who ever witnessed it all put it down to the spooks. Somehow, I just never could buy into the idea that the ghost of a deceased person who likely never even died in the former school, was spending their eternity switching lights on and off, lol.

The fact that the building was old and the wiring likely faulty was never going to be a good story to tell anyone, though, was it?

Mundane explanations are everything they appear to be: mundane. On the flip-side, the alternative is that ghosts exist, and they love to switch electrical appliances on and off, wear white dresses and rattle chains that they've never owned and obviously have little use for, living or dead.

Old 9th July 2019, 09:16 AM   #59
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
That reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid, so probably around 1960. My parents had a alarm clock that was starting to act up. Sometimes going off and sometimes not. When my mom said they needed to get a new one, the alarm clock went off. Nobody touched it, or were even near it, and the alarm was set for hours earlier.
I had a lamp not too long ago that you touch on the base and it turns on, it has three levels, the first touch would activate the basic, dim first level light, two touches would make it brighter, and three would have it on at its fullest. After a few years of having this light, it'd just start switching itself on during the night, never of a day, sometimes it'd be on the brightest level, as though it'd been touched three times.

If I was that way inclined, I'd put this down to the spirit of a dead human. But I'm not, so I didn't. I put it down to a cheap lamp that was a bad idea to purchase.

People and their imaginations are easily swayed, and there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you can tell the difference between a cheap lamp and the ghost of a deceased human being who is trapped in the netherworld playing tricks on the living.

Old 9th July 2019, 11:03 AM   #60
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Pretty much, I've always talked about this when people have commented on the sensation of being watched. I don't find it at all surprising, it's perfectly natural for survival.
Part of my job is security. Most people have no idea they're being watched when they're actually being watched.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:28 AM   #61
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Part of my job is security. Most people have no idea they're being watched when they're actually being watched.
That's true enough, but most people will get that "being watched" feeling when they're in "spooky" places such as old buildings at night, or out in the woods, etc.

When people claim that they felt they were being watched, as though that legitimizes their claims that something spooky occurred, it's no different than saying well something must've been in there with me, because the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

It's all just natural nonsense that we all have happen to us when we're not comfortable in our surroundings and our minds are playing tricks on us.

As you say, people are being watched more often than not in many places, but they don't feel anything untoward, because they're aware that cameras exist, and that people monitor those cameras, to them, that's not supernatural, it's entirely natural.

Old 10th July 2019, 11:41 AM   #62
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I work in IT. Almost everyone is almost always being watched, at least digitally speaking.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:54 AM   #63
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I work in IT. Almost everyone is almost always being watched, at least digitally speaking.
If the camera was on, my upper thigh was really itchy
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 01:50 PM   #64
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
If the camera was on, my upper thigh was really itchy
Sure, sure.

Send me $20 and I won't mention the inflatable ewe.

ETA: Someone's been a baaaaa-d boy.
Old 10th July 2019, 09:26 PM   #65
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Except that Rupert Sheldrake proved that the only way the sense of being stared at is correct statistically more often than chance is by fudging the data.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:08 PM   #66
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
What are your inexplicable stories? Weird **** happens. Let's swap stories.
Once I was walking up a poorly lit snow-covered road at night, past this abandoned water mill house that was a tiny bit creepy at night, and my footsteps made this kind of creaking sound in the snow. I was wearing a coat/jacket with my hood up, I seem to recall. Someone was walking behind me, and the way I remembered it is that about to catch up with me. Just as they were about to, I turned around on instinct, like you sometimes do when someone is about to pass you, especially at night.

There was no one there.

I stopped, and the sound of their footsteps stopped as well. I started walking again, and the sound resumed. After about 10-20 more metres I reached the first street light and the sound stopped.

Of course I never thought there was an actual ghost or anything, and I did notice that the "other person's" foot steps were probably just the sound of my own foot steps, just somehow delayed for a second or so, but it's an interesting experience to think back on.
Old 13th July 2019, 09:33 PM   #67
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I had a lamp not too long ago that you touch on the base and it turns on, it has three levels, the first touch would activate the basic, dim first level light, two touches would make it brighter, and three would have it on at its fullest. After a few years of having this light, it'd just start switching itself on during the night, never of a day, sometimes it'd be on the brightest level, as though it'd been touched three times.

A simple short somewhere would do that.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th July 2019 at 09:38 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 04:35 AM   #68
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

A simple short somewhere would do that.
Pretty much, it was just a cheap lamp whose function wasn't built to last. But if I were spiritually inclined, it'd be an obviously ghostly experience. That's how easy it is to have some sort of "experience" with the supernatural if you're willing to believe in it.

Old 19th July 2019, 09:34 AM   #69
8enotto
Muse

In the shop we will get engine problems that the root cause isn't obvious. I am not a great engine mechanic by far but can guess easy stuff.

At least once a week.one rolls in and we spend a hour looking into it and checking parts. Nothing appears to.be wrong but it wasn't running right.

Put it all back with exactly the same bits and it runs smooth again. And we didn't fix anything.

Possible just moving something dislodged dirt or made a contact better, bumping into a related item along the way did the same or ?

We don't know. Working in older models if all makes and states of destroyed leaves a lot of variables.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 12:13 PM   #70
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Not likely. There is no evidence that low frequency electromagnetic fields have any effect on people. At all.

Hans
Transformers vibrate due to the changing magnetic fields on the materials making up the transformer. That will have around a 50 or 60 Hz main component, and possibly other frequencies depending on the mechanical resonances of the devices, if my recollection is accurate
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal