ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sexual abuse cases

Old 2nd March 2019, 05:49 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Sexually abusing a child while Female

Quote:
A former American teacher allegedly had sex with her 13-year-old student while his friend watched.

Brittany Zamora, 28, and her teenage lover also fondled each other while other students, apparently unsuspecting, watched a video in class, reported the Arizona Tribune.

Zamora, who taught at the Las Brisas Academy Elementary School in Goodyear, Arizona, was arrested last year for having sex with the boy.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other...0Ml?li=AAgfYrC

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:10 AM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Previous similar threads have shown that this behaviour is condoned and even encouraged by many members.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:27 AM   #3
angrysoba
Philosophile

Lucky kid! She’s hot! I wish I had had her as a teacher when I was his age.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:55 AM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm no psychologist, but I'd say that her behavior suggests she wanted to be caught. Messing around in class, with a witness, and texts, including photos? That's not someone who's trying to conceal an affair, that's someone who wants to get caught. It doesn't mean she's not a predator, or it wasn't criminal, of course. How do I know that last sentence will be ignored.
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:45 AM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm no psychologist, but I'd say that her behavior suggests she wanted to be caught. Messing around in class, with a witness, and texts, including photos? That's not someone who's trying to conceal an affair, that's someone who wants to get caught. It doesn't mean she's not a predator, or it wasn't criminal, of course. How do I know that last sentence will be ignored.
So you're saying she's not a criminal predator, then.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:56 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

Some people enjoy the fear of getting caught. Maybe she enjoyed the fear of getting caught so much she wanted to amplify it to the fear of getting caught, sacked, prosecuted, imprisoned and ostracised?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:59 AM   #7
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's not being caught doing something that you shouldn't that many people find thrilling and exciting, it's the risk of being caught. This doesn't apply to to exhibitionists who deliberately expose themselves.
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:04 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It's not being caught doing something that you shouldn't that many people find thrilling and exciting, it's the risk of being caught. This doesn't apply to to exhibitionists who deliberately expose themselves.
I'm not suggesting she was getting thrills by being so careless, I'm suggesting she's mentally ill.
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:28 AM   #9
sadhatter
Philosopher

I'm not suggesting she was getting thrills by being so careless, I'm suggesting she's mentally ill.
If the genders were reversed, you would be recieving about 30 times the quantity and quality of negative feedback.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:35 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
If the genders were reversed, you would be recieving about 30 times the quantity and quality of negative feedback.
If the genders were reversed I'd still think the same thing. Anybody who's so bad at committing their evil acts wants, at some level, to be caught. Which strikes me as craziness. Or else just plain stupidity. Someone who was after the illicit sex but wasn't crazy would have done a much better job at concealing their crimes. Which I'd also say about any crimes, really, not just sex crimes.
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:46 AM   #11
3point14
Pi

If the boy isn't physically mature, then is she mentally ill by definition?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Why are they always hot though?

Seriously.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:07 AM   #13
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

Seriously.
It's hard not to notice. Like, noticeably hotter than average. That's gotta mean something.

Also, I'm curious what the boys look like. They of course can't be pictured, but is it fair to assume they must be unusually early bloomers, as in six footers with adult physiques or something? Or does this type tend to go for the little boy thing, or what?
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:36 AM   #14
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

I think the fact that the responses from the victims differ along gender lines is a pretty good indicator that genders view sex, and sexual assault, differently so the idea that any post with a sentence that starts off with "If the genders were reversed . . . " makes any type of point is ludicrous.

Obviously as a society we need laws that are applied equally so sex assault laws should be the same across genders. Sentences are based on harm done though, so we should see a difference in those along gender lines.

Age of consent laws are arbitrary. When they were 14 in BC there was zero uproar when anyone had sex with someone 15, 16, or 17 years old. Now the law is 16 but there is still uproar when someone has sex with someone who is under 18 because of media coverage from the U.S. where the laws are 18. What changed? Nothing.

The whole "position of power" thing is also arbitrary. It relies on indicators of power that do not indicate actual power. I look at how many of the people in my generation had affairs with professors in college. Today that is always an abuse of power but many of those affairs turned into long term marriages, many with the former student being the driver behind the marriage/relationship. Many more of those affairs are looked back on with fondness. No harm, no foul.

These types of threads on the ISF do illustrate how black and white people like their world to be though. I prefer the many shade of grey, (50?) in my world.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:36 AM   #15
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's hard not to notice. Like, noticeably hotter than average. That's gotta mean something.

Also, I'm curious what the boys look like. They of course can't be pictured, but is it fair to assume they must be unusually early bloomers, as in six footers with adult physiques or something? Or does this type tend to go for the little boy thing, or what?
Yeah, that's the thing. I think it's got to be some kind of mental illness. A good-looking lady like that could pretty much go anywhere, Walmart, the local pub, church, doesn't matter, and tap any random dude she likes on the shoulder and say "let's get at it" and she's going to bat somewhere around 1.000.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:38 AM   #16
3point14
Pi

Schoolboys don't lust after unattractive teachers?

Old 2nd March 2019, 09:57 AM   #17
sadhatter
Philosopher

Seriously.
Would a large hit man surprise you?

It's best to be good at what you do helps you get away with it.

If she was a 2/10 she would find a different way of doing what she wanted ( threats, opertunistic crimes, etc).
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:58 AM   #18
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I think the fact that the responses from the victims differ along gender lines is a pretty good indicator that genders view sex, and sexual assault, differently so the idea that any post with a sentence that starts off with "If the genders were reversed . . . " makes any type of point is ludicrous.

Obviously as a society we need laws that are applied equally so sex assault laws should be the same across genders. Sentences are based on harm done though, so we should see a difference in those along gender lines.

Age of consent laws are arbitrary. When they were 14 in BC there was zero uproar when anyone had sex with someone 15, 16, or 17 years old. Now the law is 16 but there is still uproar when someone has sex with someone who is under 18 because of media coverage from the U.S. where the laws are 18. What changed? Nothing.

The whole "position of power" thing is also arbitrary. It relies on indicators of power that do not indicate actual power. I look at how many of the people in my generation had affairs with professors in college. Today that is always an abuse of power but many of those affairs turned into long term marriages, many with the former student being the driver behind the marriage/relationship. Many more of those affairs are looked back on with fondness. No harm, no foul.

These types of threads on the ISF do illustrate how black and white people like their world to be though. I prefer the many shade of grey, (50?) in my world.
This whole post disgusts me, and in a fair world would get your hard drive searched.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:08 AM   #19
3point14
Pi

This whole post disgusts me, and in a fair world would get your hard drive searched.

Could you be specific as to why?

Old 2nd March 2019, 10:11 AM   #20
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Could you be specific as to why?
Core concept? And arguing for said core concept seldom being done by people who do not wish to engage in core concept.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:24 AM   #21
3point14
Pi

Core concept? And arguing for said core concept seldom being done by people who do not wish to engage in core concept.

I was hoping for something more specific, but thank you.

Old 2nd March 2019, 10:42 AM   #22
dann
Philosopher

They probably don't brag about it at much, but what's the point?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:47 AM   #23
Thermal
Philosopher

Yeah, that's the thing. I think it's got to be some kind of mental illness. A good-looking lady like that could pretty much go anywhere, Walmart, the local pub, church, doesn't matter, and tap any random dude she likes on the shoulder and say "let's get at it" and she's going to bat somewhere around 1.000.
Agreed, unless they were full-on crazy, but you would think that would be detected pretty quick in an academic setting. I would hope that teachers would be oriented to helping children, but maybe this type is unusually immature, and actually sets up their career to be around boys? I can't figure it out. Article says she was married, too, so presumably she can handle a conventional adult relationship.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:48 AM   #24
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Seriously.
I know right? I was about to ask the same thing. Jesus Christ.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:49 AM   #25
Thermal
Philosopher

I mean from her viewpoint. What would be the attraction to a child? Physically, they would seem to (ahem) have the pick of the litter, but they go for a kid. Just baffling, in a way.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:50 AM   #26
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by dann View Post
They probably don't brag about it at much, but what's the point?
What's what point? I don't understand the question.

Old 2nd March 2019, 10:51 AM   #27
3point14
Pi

I mean from her viewpoint. What would be the attraction to a child? Physically, they would seem to (ahem) have the pick of the litter, but they go for a kid. Just baffling, in a way.
God alone know. I was just addressing 'why are they always hot. My off the top of my head theory, phrased as a question because I'm just guessing was, "Schoolboys don't lust after unattractive teachers? "

Old 2nd March 2019, 11:07 AM   #28
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Lucky kid! She’s hot! I wish I had had her as a teacher when I was his age.
I was partial to dark haired English teachers myself.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:11 AM   #29
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Where were these women when I was a kid in school? Aaah the fantasies.
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:17 AM   #30
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Hahaha, that didn't take long.

Last edited by isissxn; 2nd March 2019 at 12:25 PM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:33 AM   #31
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I predicted this.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:37 AM   #32
Thermal
Philosopher

God alone know. I was just addressing 'why are they always hot. My off the top of my head theory, phrased as a question because I'm just guessing was, "Schoolboys don't lust after unattractive teachers? "
It's funny, in the article it was the boy's friend that tipped off police, because he knew it was weird for a 28 yr old to be into a 13 yr old. That's some mature perspective for a young guy. Or mebbe 28 looks like the crypt keeper to them?
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:49 AM   #33
Elagabalus
Illuminator

What's what point? I don't understand the question.
Schoolboys get the final yay or nay vote?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:53 AM   #34
sadhatter
Philosopher

I was hoping for something more specific, but thank you.
Sorry but literally if I were to get specific

A) it would be a 7 page post. Every idea involved is repulsive to me, and I have heard it expressed better, by worse. Still didn't sway me.

B) I don't believe I could without really pushing the bounds of civility. I'm likely unintentionally stepping on the line already and honestly I'm not catching a yellow card or worse due to someone with those. .. proclivities of thought. (The poster, not you).
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:57 AM   #35
3point14
Pi

It's funny, in the article it was the boy's friend that tipped off police, because he knew it was weird for a 28 yr old to be into a 13 yr old. That's some mature perspective for a young guy. Or mebbe 28 looks like the crypt keeper to them?
Envy..?

Old 2nd March 2019, 01:13 PM   #36
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
You'd think she could find a young enough, yet still perfectly legal, young man any number of places outside of school.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:34 PM   #37
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
You'd think she could find a young enough, yet still perfectly legal, young man any number of places outside of school.
And you think a coke addict could just drink a bunch of coffee.

Some people just want the wrong thing.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:50 PM   #38
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

You must be reading a different post from me.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:53 PM   #39
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You must be reading a different post from me.
Nope, just different opinions and life experiences.

Personally if I knew someone wrote that I wouldn't let them around any children I knew.
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:06 PM   #40
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Previous similar threads have shown that this behaviour is condoned and even encouraged by many members.
You often see this comment on these threads, but I haven't actually seen it.

I have on other forums though
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events