ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags michael jackson , sex scandals

Reply
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:48 PM   #521
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 24,282
We keep coming back to the fact that things look different depending on what your point of view is before you see them.

jackson hired million dollar shark lawyers, so not surprisingly, they got him off.

That's exactly what one might expect, and wish impossible, of a rich kiddie fiddler trying to get away with something.

It''s also exactly what one would expect, and wish for, of a rich non-kiddie fiddler being assailed by innuendo.

Both are the case, and neither can be judged meaningful until after the fact.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:12 PM   #522
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Could the latter: even not smart people often think they are smart. But not the former in that I am not pretending anything- I really don't understand the difference from what I've seen posted here. Would you be willing to explain it to me? And use simple short words so that I can understand it even if I am indeed not very smart. Would you, for example, be convinced that a frat boy had raped a woman based on the size of the frat boy's porn collection and on the nature of the other evidence presented here in support of MJ's guilt?
Was she pre pubescent and sleeping in his bed?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:15 PM   #523
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
We keep coming back to the fact that things look different depending on what your point of view is before you see them.

jackson hired million dollar shark lawyers, so not surprisingly, they got him off.

That's exactly what one might expect, and wish impossible, of a rich kiddie fiddler trying to get away with something.

It''s also exactly what one would expect, and wish for, of a rich non-kiddie fiddler being assailed by innuendo.

Both are the case, and neither can be judged meaningful until after the fact.
Fair call.

But the elephant in the room which seems to be skirted round is he went to bed with little kids.

Strangers with no supervision
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:24 PM   #524
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
This really is beginning to remind me of the Amanda Knox thread. People appear to have very emotional opinions as to guilt or innocence of public figures accused of crimes. At least Knox is alive. MJ isn't able to hurt anyone else at the moment.
I bet you he is in heaven right now molesting little Angels every time the Jesus isn't looking. It's probably driving Jesus crazy and he's probably screaming at MJ, "Michael, this is not what I meant when I said Suffer the Little Children to Come unto Me!"
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:29 PM   #525
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
I bet you he is in heaven right now molesting little Angels every time the Jesus isn't looking. It's probably driving Jesus crazy and he's probably screaming at MJ, "Michael, this is not what I meant when I said Suffer the Little Children to Come unto Me!"
Wearing his one "sparkly" glove
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:32 PM   #526
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Wearing his one "sparkly" glove
OMG! LMAO!

I wonder if he can do the flying equivalent of the "Moonwalk" with his new wings....or do you think they've perhaps denied him wings?
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:51 PM   #527
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,534
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
But the elephant in the room which seems to be skirted round is he went to bed with little kids.
It seems to me that the elephant in the room is that some people believe that Adult Males of the Human Race are nothing by sex monsters and will take advantage of anyone that sleeps in the same bed in a sexual fashion. That it is impossible for an adult human to sleep in the same bed as another human without it being for sexual gratification reasons, and thus if a male sleeps in the same bed as a child that it not theirs (and probably half the males that sleep in beds with their own kids) then that male MUST be a pedophile because there is no other reasonable reason for a sex monster to sleep with another person.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:57 PM   #528
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,105
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Wearing his one "sparkly" glove
He's a freak. See? Has to be something wrong with a guy who wears a sparkly glove. That's enough for me.

And, there was that kid who his insurance company settled with. Must be proof of something but maybe not diddling kids but he sure wanted to because why else would he be wearing a SPARKLY GLOVE? Huh? Tell me that. Yeah, true, his stepfather is on tape bragging that if MJ didn't give him everything he wanted he'd destroy him. And yeah the other mom had a history of bilking people out of money, but see, it's that SPARKLY GLOVE. That tells me everything I need to know. And those two "photography" books. Out of four hundred hetero porn titles. "Art"? Don't make me laugh. He wore a SPARKLY GLOVE.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:58 PM   #529
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It seems to me that the elephant in the room is that some people believe that Adult Males of the Human Race are nothing by sex monsters and will take advantage of anyone that sleeps in the same bed in a sexual fashion. That it is impossible for an adult human to sleep in the same bed as another human without it being for sexual gratification reasons, and thus if a male sleeps in the same bed as a child that it not theirs (and probably half the males that sleep in beds with their own kids) then that male MUST be a pedophile because there is no other reasonable reason for a sex monster to sleep with another person.
"Their own kids"

Of course. They don't go for stranger children
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:00 PM   #530
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
He's a freak. See? Has to be something wrong with a guy who wears a sparkly glove. That's enough for me.

And, there was that kid who his insurance company settled with. Must be proof of something but maybe not diddling kids but he sure wanted to because why else would he be wearing a SPARKLY GLOVE? Huh? Tell me that. Yeah, true, his stepfather is on tape bragging that if MJ didn't give him everything he wanted he'd destroy him. And yeah the other mom had a history of bilking people out of money, but see, it's that SPARKLY GLOVE. That tells me everything I need to know. And those two "photography" books. Out of four hundred hetero porn titles. "Art"? Don't make me laugh. He wore a SPARKLY GLOVE.
It was a joke

Their is enough creepy stuff to bother taking that seriously
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 2nd July 2016 at 07:01 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:05 PM   #531
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,105
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
"Their own kids"

Of course. They don't go for stranger children
Stranger than what? Supposed adults who see everything through a filter of sexuality? It's like the old joke about the Freudian analyst showing a patient a series of rohrschachs and the patient answers "a vagina" to every one. When the doctor says, "Vell, I zink ve can determine your problem. You see everything in terms of the female body."

"Me?", says the patient, "You're the one with the extensive collection of filthy pornographic pictures."
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:32 PM   #532
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Kids who are strangers
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:37 PM   #533
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
How does

A dad sleeping with his kid to sooth them after a bad dream compare to a porn addicted dude who is into little boys naked art sleeping with kids he hardly knows?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:38 PM   #534
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,105
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Kids who are strangers
One of the problems in discussions with you is the imprecision of the terms you use. "Strangers"? Or did you mean, "who you are not related to"? None of the children of these various claims were strangers. They knew Michael. Michael knew them. Michael knew their parents, who in turn knew Michael.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:38 PM   #535
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,534
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Stranger than what? Supposed adults who see everything through a filter of sexuality? It's like the old joke about the Freudian analyst showing a patient a series of rohrschachs and the patient answers "a vagina" to every one. When the doctor says, "Vell, I zink ve can determine your problem. You see everything in terms of the female body."

"Me?", says the patient, "You're the one with the extensive collection of filthy pornographic pictures."
Yup. Is the Noddy and Big Ear syndrome. Why is it not done that adult men sleep in the same beds as children, because in our society now we have been trained to believe that men in bed with someone else equates to sex. Men are too scared to allow a friend's kids to sleep in their beds on a sleep over because of the boggyman of it must be sexual. Heck male teachers are now too scared to give a crying student a hug for fear of being accused of touching them inappropriately. Our society has turned men into sex monsters that will take advantage of children and women for sex at any opportunity they can. They are evil to the core willing to rape any that cross them in a vulnerable position, and who are only interested in one thing, sex.

You have a collection of over a million books and included are 5-6 artistic nudes, well if you were female, that'd be fun, nice artwork. If you are male, you're a perverted child fiddler.

Let's just get it out on the open. MJ was a pervert because he did what he did while being male, had it been Janet that did these things, we wouldn't have this thread.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:51 PM   #536
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yup. Is the Noddy and Big Ear syndrome. Why is it not done that adult men sleep in the same beds as children, because in our society now we have been trained to believe that men in bed with someone else equates to sex. Men are too scared to allow a friend's kids to sleep in their beds on a sleep over because of the boggyman of it must be sexual. Heck male teachers are now too scared to give a crying student a hug for fear of being accused of touching them inappropriately. Our society has turned men into sex monsters that will take advantage of children and women for sex at any opportunity they can. They are evil to the core willing to rape any that cross them in a vulnerable position, and who are only interested in one thing, sex.

You have a collection of over a million books and included are 5-6 artistic nudes, well if you were female, that'd be fun, nice artwork. If you are male, you're a perverted child fiddler.

Let's just get it out on the open. MJ was a pervert because he did what he did while being male, had it been Janet that did these things, we wouldn't have this thread.
Hey...You go ahead and let your boy sleep with men.

Meanwhile, I'll do what I think right and keep my boy from sleeping with men.

Meanwhile, while your boy is reliving the love scene from Brokeback Mountain, my boy will be happy and safe.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:53 PM   #537
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
One of the problems in discussions with you is the imprecision of the terms you use. "Strangers"? Or did you mean, "who you are not related to"? None of the children of these various claims were strangers. They knew Michael. Michael knew them. Michael knew their parents, who in turn knew Michael.
You are comparing it to parents.

No offence but that is stupid
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:05 PM   #538
HenryLee
Muse
 
HenryLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yup. Is the Noddy and Big Ear syndrome. Why is it not done that adult men sleep in the same beds as children, because in our society now we have been trained to believe that men in bed with someone else equates to sex. Men are too scared to allow a friend's kids to sleep in their beds on a sleep over because of the boggyman of it must be sexual. Heck male teachers are now too scared to give a crying student a hug for fear of being accused of touching them inappropriately. Our society has turned men into sex monsters that will take advantage of children and women for sex at any opportunity they can. They are evil to the core willing to rape any that cross them in a vulnerable position, and who are only interested in one thing, sex.

You have a collection of over a million books and included are 5-6 artistic nudes, well if you were female, that'd be fun, nice artwork. If you are male, you're a perverted child fiddler.

Let's just get it out on the open. MJ was a pervert because he did what he did while being male, had it been Janet that did these things, we wouldn't have this thread.
If it was Janet(Ms. Jackson if you're nasty) those would be "the luckiest boys evah"!!! as the double standard has it.

And you know the Three Stooges are often shown sleeping in the same bed.

...and three of them are related.

Eww! Stooges shorts are incest porn!
HenryLee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:19 PM   #539
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,105
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You are comparing it to parents.

No offence but that is stupid
No, I'm not comparing it to parents. Offense taken - I don't buy that "oh, I wasn't calling you stupid, I was calling your post stupid".

But you're just plain wrong. Rather than insult-and-run, explain what you meant. They weren't "strangers", so did you mean "relatives"? Did you mean "offspring"?

It's not stupid for someone to ask you to explain your muddled thoughts.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:51 PM   #540
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,227
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Fair call.

But the elephant in the room which seems to be skirted round is he went to bed with little kids.

Strangers with no supervision
I don't think anyone here denies there were boundary issues.

However, his sleeping in the same room or in the same bed with children was not illegal.

Should it be?

If so, let's defined the circumstances.

Should it be illegal to sleep in the same room with:

your own children?
the children of your immediate family members?
the children of your extended family members?
the children of your in-laws?

the friends or family members of your children?

Would permission from the parents change the rules?

Should it be illegal to sleep in the same bed with:

your own children?
the children of your immediate family members?
the children of your extended family members?
the children of your in-laws?

the friends or family members of your children?

Would permission of the parents change the rules?

If yes, to any of these, should it be a blanket policy? That is, should it be illegal for any person, under any circumstance? Should we be charging 10-year-olds for the crime of sleeping in the same bed with another child? Should we charge the same 10-year-olds for a crime if they sleep in the same bed with an adult?

What if no one is sleeping? Should it be illegal for an adult to lie in bed next to a child while reading a book?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:58 PM   #541
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Hey...I just don't want my boy molested, so I make sure he stays out of bed with men - especially men like Michael Jackson. Now...if you guys don't care if your boys get molested, then fine - let them sleep with men. But I will not let my children do this.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:51 PM   #542
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
He's a freak. See? Has to be something wrong with a guy who wears a sparkly glove. That's enough for me.

And, there was that kid who his insurance company settled with. Must be proof of something but maybe not diddling kids but he sure wanted to because why else would he be wearing a SPARKLY GLOVE? Huh? Tell me that. Yeah, true, his stepfather is on tape bragging that if MJ didn't give him everything he wanted he'd destroy him. And yeah the other mom had a history of bilking people out of money, but see, it's that SPARKLY GLOVE. That tells me everything I need to know. And those two "photography" books. Out of four hundred hetero porn titles. "Art"? Don't make me laugh. He wore a SPARKLY GLOVE.
Yep!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:53 PM   #543
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
How does

A dad sleeping with his kid to sooth them after a bad dream compare to a porn addicted dude who is into little boys naked art sleeping with kids he hardly knows?
You are right: these are different things. And exactly what MJ actually did is yet a third, different thing.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:21 PM   #544
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No, I'm not comparing it to parents. Offense taken - I don't buy that "oh, I wasn't calling you stupid, I was calling your post stupid".

But you're just plain wrong. Rather than insult-and-run, explain what you meant. They weren't "strangers", so did you mean "relatives"? Did you mean "offspring"?

It's not stupid for someone to ask you to explain your muddled thoughts.
Kids he hardly knew
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:21 PM   #545
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Hey...I just don't want my boy molested, so I make sure he stays out of bed with men - especially men like Michael Jackson. Now...if you guys don't care if your boys get molested, then fine - let them sleep with men. But I will not let my children do this.
I sincerely wish you success. But please remember that "sleeping" with men is not exactly the concern here. Also look at the statistics and realize that your biggest risks are people who appear a lot more mainstream than MJ did. A team camping trip with that football coach or the showers after a game? Not necessarily safe either. Nor is having that cousin babysit your child from 6 to 8 pm (no sleeping at all, right?).

May I assume that you also don't want your underaged boy molested by a female? There have been increasing numbers of such events in the news so you probably should broaden you list of possible risks even further.

My point here is that the flip side of automatically not trusting someone who looks different too often results in people automatically trusting someone who doesn't look different. As with con artists, actual molesters are good in generating trust in their victims and in their victim's family, and probably don't look like what they are. Weird does not equal molester, and outwardly upstanding mainstream citizen does not equal non-molester.

Last edited by Giordano; 2nd July 2016 at 10:22 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:24 PM   #546
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I don't think anyone here denies there were boundary issues.

However, his sleeping in the same room or in the same bed with children was not illegal.

Should it be?

If so, let's defined the circumstances.

Should it be illegal to sleep in the same room with:

your own children?
the children of your immediate family members?
the children of your extended family members?
the children of your in-laws?

the friends or family members of your children?

Would permission from the parents change the rules?

Should it be illegal to sleep in the same bed with:

your own children?
the children of your immediate family members?
the children of your extended family members?
the children of your in-laws?

the friends or family members of your children?

Would permission of the parents change the rules?

If yes, to any of these, should it be a blanket policy? That is, should it be illegal for any person, under any circumstance? Should we be charging 10-year-olds for the crime of sleeping in the same bed with another child? Should we charge the same 10-year-olds for a crime if they sleep in the same bed with an adult?

What if no one is sleeping? Should it be illegal for an adult to lie in bed next to a child while reading a book?
Illegality of sleeping in a bed with a little kid with star struck parents is kind of irrelevant. He just did it
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:26 PM   #547
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
You are right: these are different things. And exactly what MJ actually did is yet a third, different thing.
Indeed

It was
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:32 PM   #548
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I sincerely wish you success. But please remember that "sleeping" with men is not exactly the concern here. Also look at the statistics and realize that your biggest risks are people who appear a lot more mainstream than MJ did. A team camping trip with that football coach or the showers after a game? Not necessarily safe either. Nor is having that cousin babysit your child from 6 to 8 pm (no sleeping at all, right?).

May I assume that you also don't want your underaged boy molested by a female? There have been increasing numbers of such events in the news so you probably should broaden you list of possible risks even further.

My point here is that the flip side of automatically not trusting someone who looks different too often results in people automatically trusting someone who doesn't look different. As with con artists, actual molesters are good in generating trust in their victims and in their victim's family, and probably don't look like what they are. Weird does not equal molester, and outwardly upstanding mainstream citizen does not equal non-molester.
Your examples involve children who aren't alone and don't involve sleeping in beds with a porno addict
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:34 PM   #549
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Indeed

It was
I presume that you view this as a clever response, but you do see how you are now arguing that MJ did not do what you were just accusing him of having done in your own post just up thread from here? Don't worry- sometimes I too have the urge to make a joke even when it is not relevant or logical..
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:39 PM   #550
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Your examples involve children who aren't alone and don't involve sleeping in beds with a porno addict
You appear to like the term "porno addict" having used it so often in your last posts. I believe that there are a lot more of these "addicts" than you suspect and you will be surprised to learn that the huge majority of them are not pedophiles. But if you feel that this helps your argument please continue.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:42 PM   #551
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
You appear to like the term "porno addict" having used it so often in your last posts. I believe that there are a lot more of these "addicts" than you suspect and you will be surprised to learn that the huge majority of them are not pedophiles. But if you feel that this helps your argument please continue.
I'm just stating fact.

Or do you deny he was with his "library"
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:44 PM   #552
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Your examples involve children who aren't alone and don't involve sleeping in beds with a porno addict


Say again? Do you really believe that actual pedophiles don't have ways of getting children alone and isolated in the examples I gave? Especially baby sitters? Or that coaches and cousins could never have porn collections? Gee, you should read up more on this stuff to truly better protect your child. Honestly- I am really trying to help here if you were being serious.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:47 PM   #553
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
[/hilite]
Say again? Do you really believe that actual pedophiles don't have ways of getting children alone and isolated in the examples I gave? Especially baby sitters? Or that coaches and cousins could never have porn collections? Gee, you should read up more on this stuff to truly better protect your child. Honestly- I am really trying to help here if you were being serious.
No.

But we are talking about Jackson. Not others
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:48 PM   #554
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I'm just stating fact.

Or do you deny he was with his "library"
It was a fact that he was "addicted" to porn? Not a fan, but an addict? I also must warn you about ever going into the average frat house.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:49 PM   #555
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
It was a fact that he was "addicted" to porn? Not a fan, but an addict? I also must warn you about ever going into the average frat house.
Do frats sleep with little kids?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:55 PM   #556
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,669
Oh to hell with it. Men can't be trusted with the children of others. Having porn means child molester. Weird in any way means pedophile. Sleeping with means having sex with. Any image of a naked child is the same as child pornography. Accusations are the same as proof. It is so obvious I don't know why I didn't see it before.

Kill the witch!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:04 PM   #557
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,968
No.

Just him
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:11 PM   #558
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,680
It comes down to

"He didn't do it!"

"Nobody saw him do it!"

"You can't prove he did it!"
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:32 PM   #559
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,534
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
It comes down to

"He didn't do it!"

"Nobody saw him do it!"

"You can't prove he did it!"
Actually it comes down to "The evidence might have all fallen over, but he was weird, had contemporary Art books and porn magazines in his library of a million books, and he admitted sleeping in the same bed as kids that weren't his, so he must have been, even if there is no evidence!"
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:46 PM   #560
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,105
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I'm just stating fact.

Or do you deny he was with his "library"
If you're "stating fact" it should be very easy to show us something that backs up your skittish feelings about sexuality and the human body. You've shifted off of "kiddie porn". Maybe because you're bored with it, or maybe because you realize that you were mistaken. But now you've shifted to "porn addict". Anyone with a gazillion books who also has an interest in hetero porn would very likely have a few hundred titles. What about all the titles that weren't porn? Seems to be many more volumes than the porn collection.

What other subject was he addicted to? Edwardian Fashion? Hats Through History? Twentieth Century Interpretive Dance? Architecture? What was so fascinating to this creepy pervert. The cops went through all ten thousand [10,000] books in his home. They found about four or five hundred of interest, but a couple of hundred of those were "naturist/nudist" magazines from sixty and seventy years earlier and were collectors' items, probably purchased in one lot But even if you count the nudist magazines.... only four or five hundred. That'll leave 9500 "not porn".

You have some authoritative source for your accusation that he's a "porn addict"? Or is just another of those "well, it's obvious to me" things?
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.