ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 04:51 AM   #401
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Can a foreign government do that?

Old 15th February 2019, 05:16 AM   #402
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
...wasn't she pro-Trump? Or did she switch because he's not conservative enough?
Her platform is that she wants all the brown people out and a wall put up to keep them there. That said, I don't think she really actually cares about that. I think she cares about being as antagonistic and controversial as possible in order to keep eyes on her.

She's turning on him because she sees through the whole 'wall' charade and is taking advantage of it for her own benefit. Trump doesn't give a crapola about the wall any more than he cared about the 'swamp'. It was just a useful rallying cry for him to generate excitement and support for him, personally, from the plebs who like slogans.
TofuFighter is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:43 AM   #403
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In 2016 Ann Coulter said she "worshiped" Trump. She began to bail not long after he got in office. I forget the issue that started the split. It was discussed here but I don't remember what it was.

Now she says Trump's goal is to get his "stupidest voters" to buy in. The coalition the Republicans have has always been pretty cynical. But then blue-collar, working-class folks partnering with the GOP is, on its face, pretty stupid. Rare you hear one of them be so upfront about it.
It's ok. She didn't call them deplorable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:25 AM   #404
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Vox's latest Strikethrough examines why this is going to be a perpetual problem even after the glaring case of NPD leaves the office.
President Trump was ready to sign a spending bill to keep the government open in December. Then he turned on the TV.
Video imbedded in tweet.
Well, that’s discouraging.
Old 15th February 2019, 08:04 AM   #405
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Alternately, the Democrats challenge it in court. Given that it's regarding a claimed national emergency, however obviously it's not one, the ruling is unlikely to take too long to reach. Which way it goes is somewhat questionable, though, given what specifics are invoked. The ambiguity of what legally constitutes a national emergency can serve as a counter to the simple fact that it simply isn't a national emergency in any meaningful sense and nor has the Trump Administration actually been treating it as such, for example (declaring that you'll declare an emergency and immediately flying off to Mar-a-Largo to play golf isn't especially convincing). Even if it has been employing strategies that can reliably counted on to intentionally worsen the situation overall. There's apparently other, potentially even more viable legal challenges that can be made, though.
The New York Times says the courts are unlikely to overrule the President on what counts as an emergency, since that is substituting their judgment for his.

I can't find the article in which I read that. It seems to have fallen off the home page. A similar analysis appears in this Post article. Referring to the watered down Muslim ban that passed Supreme Court oversight, they write:
The ruling stressed the “deference” owed the president, particularly in matters involving immigration and claims of national security. Congress “entrusted” the president by statute with the authority to determine when the “entry of aliens would be detrimental” to the national interest, the majority said.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 08:07 AM   #406
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The New York Times says the courts are unlikely to overrule the President on what counts as an emergency, since that is substituting their judgment for his.

I can't find the article in which I read that. It seems to have fallen off the home page. A similar analysis appears in this Post article. Referring to the watered down Muslim ban that passed Supreme Court oversight, they write:
The ruling stressed the “deference” owed the president, particularly in matters involving immigration and claims of national security. Congress “entrusted” the president by statute with the authority to determine when the “entry of aliens would be detrimental” to the national interest, the majority said.
Yeah, but appropriating funds is a different matter. It's explicitly in the purview of Congress to administer funds.

The executive does have very wide latitude when it comes to immigration and national security, but there's I wouldn't assume that the courts would be so ready for rule that the executive can just declare himself whatever funds he wants.
Old 15th February 2019, 08:07 AM   #407
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

And, thus, the democrats have made it clear: be careful what you wish for. As pointed out, you get the Supreme Court to put their stamp of approval, and suddenly it's all fair game for everyone.

Moreover, with the democrats holding the house, they can't just pull a Wisconsin and rewrite all the laws to prevent the democrat elected as president from doing what they just did.
Old 15th February 2019, 08:22 AM   #408
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It's ok. She didn't call them deplorable.
I had a similar thought.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 08:23 AM   #409
Belz...
Fiend God

Isn't that their job?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 08:48 AM   #410
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't that their job?
No.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 09:03 AM   #411
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump's speech, mentioning military funds, proves that we give them too much. Cut military budget 20% and they won't hurt much. Unless they have to reduce headcount. Which also is not bad. Give the ones that want a 4 year stint in military that and then move on. The funds to get education afterward should never be cut.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 09:21 AM   #412
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't that their job?
Only on constitutional matters. The question here is whether the definition of a national emergency is a constitutional matter. If it's not (and it's certainly not a term from the Constitution, but from a law), then it's plausible that this particular argument will fail and the President can use funds made available by Congress via the National Emergency acts.

There are other challenges to this proposal and I don't pretend to know whether the courts would rule in favor of the President over whether this is a National Emergency or not, but it sure doesn't look like a slam dunk challenge from what I've read.

Obviously, I know damned near doodlysquat about these issues.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 09:24 AM   #413
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump's speech, mentioning military funds, proves that we give them too much. Cut military budget 20% and they won't hurt much. Unless they have to reduce headcount. Which also is not bad. Give the ones that want a 4 year stint in military that and then move on. The funds to get education afterward should never be cut.
Er, 20%?

The military budget is around $900 billion, 20% of which is $180 billion. The numbers I've seen at WaPo suggest that Trump will take $6 billion, which is somewhat less than 20%.

ETA: Maybe you just threw out 20% as a cut you'd like to see, rather than as a comparison to Trump's proposed use of military funds for his boondoggle. If so, never mind the above.

Last edited by phiwum; 15th February 2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:34 AM   #414
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

...wasn't she pro-Trump? Or did she switch because he's not conservative enough?
She's like the Mel Gibson type of Catholic, for whom the Pope isn't Catholic enough.

Seriously, though if that's what she thinks she's right. He's not conservative at all. I don't think he even pretended to be until some Kenyan made fun of him. His only ideology is pure Trumpism.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:35 AM   #415
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

Thank you for the smiley, I almost fell for it.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:36 AM   #416
Tero
Graduate Poster

Er, 20%?

The military budget is around $900 billion, 20% of which is $180 billion. The numbers I've seen at WaPo suggest that Trump will take $6 billion, which is somewhat less than 20%.

ETA: Maybe you just threw out 20% as a cut you'd like to see, rather than as a comparison to Trump's proposed use of military funds for his boondoggle. If so, never mind the above.
Yes, that was my point. Too much fluff in military budget. Too much scrapping of old equipment and getting new as the senators have that industry in their state. I was saying he WILL get the money from the military if allowed, because some 10-20% of the military budget is fluff.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 09:57 AM   #417
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“After The Flight 93 Election, The Vote That Saved America - And What We Still Have To Lose,” by very talented Michael Anton, is a terrific read. Check it out!
I had no idea about that book, so I looked it up on Amazon.

Best part: The people who viewed that particular book also viewed a product called a 'tactical spork'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spork.jpg (27.5 KB, 17 views)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 10:07 AM   #418
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Yes, that was my point. Too much fluff in military budget. Too much scrapping of old equipment and getting new as the senators have that industry in their state. I was saying he WILL get the money from the military if allowed, because some 10-20% of the military budget is fluff.
So the military says "okay, here's 10 billion for 'the wall'", and then diverts 10 billion from tactical spork development (which I am stealing from now on) into combat post-hole digging equipment, nothing ever gets built, no new money is wasted... win-win?

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 15th February 2019 at 10:08 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 10:07 AM   #419
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So, a little problem with the U.S. economy right now...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/us-r...-december.html
U.S. retail sales recorded their biggest drop in more than nine years in December as receipts fell across the board, suggesting a sharp slowdown in economic activity at the end of 2018.

They initially predicted this might affect the stock market, but other news (such as the spending bill) might have counteracted the drop in sales.

Still, its not a good sign for the economy, considering how everyone was supposed to have all this extra money after the Republican tax cuts.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 10:14 AM   #420
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
So the military says "okay, here's 10 billion for 'the wall'", and then diverts 10 billion from tactical spork development (which I am stealing from now on) into combat post-hole digging equipment, nothing ever gets built, no new money is wasted... win-win?
Well, the makers of the Tactical sporks might be a bit miffed. And any soldiers who need the tactical sporks during combat with ISIS or the taliban may not want to be put at a military disadvantage.

In some cases, military money that just seems to be 'sitting there' may actually be earmarked for something important. (Many projects have a long development time... for example, building infrastructure at military base.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th February 2019, 10:40 AM   #421
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The bottom line will be who signs the cheques.
Old 15th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #422
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So, a little problem with the U.S. economy right now...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/us-r...-december.html
U.S. retail sales recorded their biggest drop in more than nine years in December as receipts fell across the board, suggesting a sharp slowdown in economic activity at the end of 2018.

They initially predicted this might affect the stock market, but other news (such as the spending bill) might have counteracted the drop in sales.

Still, its not a good sign for the economy, considering how everyone was supposed to have all this extra money after the Republican tax cuts.
Yeah, I felt that quite directly. Season was average-ish for the first two weekends after Thanksgiving and then just coasted along to Christmas. Especially once the market stumbled, everyone got tight fisted. We had to drive clearance down to 80% off and still had decorations and impulse buy stuff until the middle of January.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:49 AM   #423
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

Sadly, I think a majority of Republicans are asking that question, both elected Republicans and Republican voters.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:03 PM   #424
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I really hope el chapo gets his conviction vacated. The prosecution had members of the cartel as prosecution witnesses testify that they smuggled drugs across ports of entry. The government's position is that they know that is a lie. The prosecutors engaged in a massive breach of ethics.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:32 PM   #425
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump finally signed the budget bill;that ends the 2019 Shutdown crisis...at least until Sep.30th....

Almost every political expert around advocates going to a 2 year budget just to cut down on this nonsense, but that makes too much sense for the congress to approve it....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:50 PM   #426
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“After The Flight 93 Election, The Vote That Saved America - And What We Still Have To Lose,” by very talented Michael Anton, is a terrific read. Check it out!
Can we pass a law that says no president can recommend a book unless he has read it?

Chuckleheaded attention whore.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:43 PM   #427
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningDerail about military aircraft moved. Keep to the topic of this thread.
Posted By:Darat
Old 15th February 2019, 04:47 PM   #428
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It isn't.

This is ALL about OPTICS. NOTHING MORE.
At least one person agrees with you...

"Trump's stupidest voters"?

Boy, that would be a tough thing to rate on a scale.

It would probably make a great TV contest show, though, with viewers calling in to vote their favorites, and celebrity judges mugging it up on a panel.

You might think that nobody would ever volunteer to be a contestent, but you would be underestimating the apparently deep-seated desire of many people to be humiliated in public. Just watch a episode or two of Judge Judy (if you can stand that much).

With an expenses paid trip to L.A. they'd be pounding on the doors.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:57 PM   #429
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I don't think the issue is going to be what constitutes an emergency or the President's right to decide that. Although such things could become elements of legal manuvuers.

What is going to be the core dispute is whether or not the President, having made such a declaration, can go on to use it as a means to access money (which has already been allocated by Congress explicitly for other purposes) for purposes which Congress has already explicitly denied him money for.

This is a fundamental dispute and attack on the intent of the Constitution and the allocation of powers between the several branches of government.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #430
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
"Trump's stupidest voters"?

Boy, that would be a tough thing to rate on a scale.

It would probably make a great TV contest show, though, with viewers calling in to vote their favorites, and celebrity judges mugging it up on a panel.

You might think that nobody would ever volunteer to be a contestent, but you would be underestimating the apparently deep-seated desire of many people to be humiliated in public. Just watch a episode or two of Judge Judy (if you can stand that much).

With an expenses paid trip to L.A. they'd be pounding on the doors.
Well Donald and Coulter don't love each other any more.Trump is now giving her the cold shoulder, claiming "I don't know her".
Absolute BS of course, but a sure sign that Trump and Coulter are now at odds.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:52 PM   #431
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well Donald and Coulter don't love each other any more.Trump is now giving her the cold shoulder, claiming "I don't know her".
Once President Trump pushes someone out of the circle of trust, does he ever invite them back in?
Old 15th February 2019, 05:54 PM   #432
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Once President Trump pushes someone out of the circle of trust, does he ever invite them back in?
Yes, if it suits him.
Old 15th February 2019, 06:19 PM   #433
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the issue is going to be what constitutes an emergency or the President's right to decide that. Although such things could become elements of legal manuvuers.

What is going to be the core dispute is whether or not the President, having made such a declaration, can go on to use it as a means to access money (which has already been allocated by Congress explicitly for other purposes) for purposes which Congress has already explicitly denied him money for.

This is a fundamental dispute and attack on the intent of the Constitution and the allocation of powers between the several branches of government.
Exactly. The Constitution gives Congress the power of the purse. This is going way beyond the powers given to the President. Trump can call this an emergency all he wants, but it clearly isn't. I'm looking forward to reading the legal arguments.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 06:27 PM   #434
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
She's just a coffee server now.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 08:22 PM   #435
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I found an image I posted here about a year-and-a-half ago (note the date of her tweet) when Coulter first bailed on the man she once "worshiped," but I still don't recall what the issue was with Coulter. A falling out between two conniving attention whores. In other news, scientists proclaim water to be wet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coulter bails.jpg (21.1 KB, 16 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 08:59 PM   #436
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...With an expenses paid trip to L.A. they'd be pounding on the doors.
Pounding on the door? This gal will be knocking it down!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trump Can Grab.jpg (9.2 KB, 160 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 09:36 PM   #437
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, that's what the folks at Defense and in the halls of the Pentagon will have to worry about. If the DoD rolls over for Trump's wet dream, then next season's funding initiatives are going to be prefaced with a lot of discussion about there being so much over-calculated for Defense that they had five billion in spare change lying around that they donated to The Trump Wall and Re-Election Fund.

The current bill for keeping funding going has a proviso on almost every line that the money can't be used for any purposes other than as outlined in the Act. They'll do this next year, too.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 09:45 PM   #438
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Pounding on the door? This gal will be knocking it down!

He'll make her sign an NDA first.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:55 PM   #439
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Listening to Neal Katyal last night talking about the statute that allows the President to declare a national emergency.

He says that the statute was brought in with the idea in mind that the President could declare a state of national emergency in the event that such urgent action was required at a time when the Congress was, for some reason, unable to meet to debate or declare it. The inference from this is that the intent of this law is to allow POTUS to act quickly when time is of the essence, and very fact of this rules out the reasons for Trump declaring it - he has had two years to get funding for his wall; two years in which Republicans had control of both houses. If his imagined crisis at the southern border was a real thing, then declaring a national emergency ought to have been his very first step, not his last resort.

The law as it stands says Katyal, allows for a great deal of trust in the president that he/she will not abuse that power, and once Trump has abused this power, it means that Congress will never again be able to trust a President of the United States.

It may be that this intent will now need to be codified in law, to limit the powers of POTUS to declare a national emergency only to those times when neither house of Congress is able to meet.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:41 PM   #440
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
"Everyone." If by everyone you mean incredibly profitable businesses. Like Amazon. $11.2 Billion in profits. $0.00 in taxes. $129 million tax rebate. Amazon's got a -1% federal tax rate, in other words. What's yours in comparison?

Of note, before the Republican Tax Scam, their actual tax rate was at 11.4%, apparently.

In other news... Trump Judicial Nominees Are Refusing to Endorse Brown v. Board of Education. At least a third of the ones asked the question, which apparently translates into at least 10 of them. For reference, Brown v. Board of Education is the case that led to the unanimous 1954 ruling that abolished school segregation. This question has been a very, very soft ball for many years now.

In slightly tangential news to that, Too Close to Trump? FOX News Won’t Run Ad for Oscar-Nominated Anti-Nazi Documentary

Quote:
A documentary about Nazis in America in 1939 has been nominated for an Oscar in the Documentary Short category.. It's called "A Night at the Garden," and tells the story of a rally in New York City by supporters of fascism. It's a revealing, albeit disturbing, moment of truth from America's past. And it's something that all Americans should be aware of. To that end, the producers sought to run an ad for the film (video below) on fox News, but ran into an obstacle. According to the Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
"Fox News has rejected a national advertising buy for a 30-second spot that warns viewers about the potential dangers of American fascism after an ad sales representative said network leadership deemed it inappropriate, The Hollywood Reporter has learned." "The spot doubles as a promotion of this year's Oscar-nominated documentary short A Night at the Garden, which recounts a 1939 Nazi rally in New York City, and a warning — 'It Can Happen Here' - to Hannity's largely conservative viewers about the potential dangers of President Donald Trump's brand of populism."
More specifically, the rejection apparently came directly on orders from their CEO.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics