ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Mueller investigation , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 04:33 PM   #401
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
As far a federal crimes, can’t he pardon them for future prosecutions?

I thought that’s what Ford did with Nixon.

The saving grace is there are plenty of state charges they can still be prosecuted for.
Yes apparently. Hopefully there are some potential state crimes in the pile.
Old 21st February 2019, 05:10 PM   #402
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
and if there is a rabbit.
Technically, he is a Pooka.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:09 PM   #403
Toontown
Philosopher

Just when Mueller thinks he's finished, Trump pulls him back in with more obstruction of justice.

A Basterd's work is never done.

Hard not to wonder exactly what Trump has done that he thinks Mueller may have found out about. An innocent (sane) person wouldn't act the way Trump is acting.

Is he just crazy? If so, better get the straps on him fast, because Crazy Boy's got your nuclear arsenal.

Last edited by Toontown; 21st February 2019 at 11:25 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:52 AM   #404
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter thread containing fun excerpts of Stone's most recent appearance in court
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:54 AM   #405
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you mean passed on to other prosecutors or shut down while incomplete?
I mean that Mueller would want to keep investigating, but would be disallowed. I imagine, given that situation, he would pass as much as he could on to different prosecutors. And he's obligated to present his findings to Congress, who have the power to investigate further.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:03 AM   #406
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I mean that Mueller would want to keep investigating, but would be disallowed. I imagine, given that situation, he would pass as much as he could on to different prosecutors. And he's obligated to present his findings to Congress, who have the power to investigate further.
I thought he only had to present a report to the AG?

If Mueller is "shut down", in a fucntioning government, this would lead to impeachment
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:14 AM   #407
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Didn't Stone complain that there were threats he would be raped in prison?
Not to worry. I'm assured that victims have ways to shut that whole thing down.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:28 AM   #408
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.hasrogerstoneviolatedhisgagorderyet.com

It's literally just what it says in the url.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:36 AM   #409
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Didn't Stone complain that there were threats he would be raped in prison?
Well, ...

If Stone can manage to get Trump as his cell mate, then Stone will not actually be raped by Trump since it would be consensual sex.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:47 AM   #410
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Emptywheel article going through the Stone gag order court appearance in detail
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:52 AM   #411
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/st...46220162949120

Quote:
Huge story breaking in Italy. Putin agreed to a request from Lega Nord leader Matteo Salvini to covertly finance his Euro election campaign. The plan was to conceal the payment behind an apparently normal business deal. Sound familiar?
http://espresso.repubblica.it/inchie...ussia-1.331835 … via @espressonline
Italian-language article embedded in tweet.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:43 AM   #412
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Highly respected Senator Richard Burr, head of Senate Intelligence, said, after interviewing over 200 witnesses and studying over 2 million pages of documents, “WE HAVE FOUND NO COLLUSION BETWEEN THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN AND RUSSIA.” The Witch Hunt, so bad for our Country, must end!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:46 AM   #413
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Highly respected Senator Richard Burr, head of Senate Intelligence, said, after interviewing over 200 witnesses and studying over 2 million pages of documents, “WE HAVE FOUND NO COLLUSION BETWEEN THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN AND RUSSIA.” The Witch Hunt, so bad for our Country, must end!
He's stuck in a loop.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:36 PM   #414
carlitos
"más divertido"

Oh, snap. That is a great write-up. Judge Jackson has really proved her mettle in these cases. Tying the gag order to the Bail Reform Act due to Stone's threats is brilliant. And getting him on the record that he does not actually make a living by commenting on his own case completely undercuts the press freedom defense against the gag order. Stone is destined to violate this order and end up in jail.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:34 PM   #415
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/st...46220162949120

Italian-language article embedded in tweet.
Not new and not a very well-kept secret...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins...ight-lega-nord

This was from March 2017.

ETA: But yeah, anyone living in 2019 who doesn't think Russia is trying to go all Master of Puppets across the globe really needs to share whatever they're smoking.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 22nd February 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:55 PM   #416
The Big Dog

I looked at Schiff's silly little op ed in the WaPo today...

it looks like the Mueller report is really going to be a big nothingburger, huh?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:07 PM   #417
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

it looks like the Mueller report is really going to be a big nothingburger, huh?
Sophomoric.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:09 PM   #418
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Good call.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:12 PM   #419
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Sophomoric.
Charitable.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:12 PM   #420
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Sophomoric.
nailed it again my man, the Schiff editorial was indeed sophomoric.

man you and I have been rocking like peanut butter and jelly lately, two great flavors that go great together!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:15 PM   #421
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Oh, snap. That is a great write-up. Judge Jackson has really proved her mettle in these cases. Tying the gag order to the Bail Reform Act due to Stone's threats is brilliant. And getting him on the record that he does not actually make a living by commenting on his own case completely undercuts the press freedom defense against the gag order. Stone is destined to violate this order and end up in jail.
That was a great article. Give Judge Jackson credit. She boxed Stone into a corner and he didn't disappoint. These guys can't keep themselves from committing perjury.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:02 PM   #422
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The problem Stone had he has based his whole career on outrageous, in your face behavior, and now he goes to jail if he does it. IMHO force of habit will be too strong, he will violate the gag order, and to the clink he goes.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:03 PM   #423
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

At the end of an update on no Mueller report today:
Quote:
Meanwhile, reports are also saying Mueller will issue his report before the sun expands to engulf the planet.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:04 PM   #424
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Someone beat me to the story that Putin was playing pretty much the same games in Italy he was playing in the US. I always maintained Putin real purpose is to undermine democracy in the west by causing chaos and division, and getting someone in power who will do him favors is just a nice bonus.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:05 PM   #425
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
At the end of an update on no Mueller report today:
But will he do it before the earth grows cold?
You have to take these reports that the release is imminent with a ton of salt.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:09 PM   #426
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But will he do it before the earth grows cold?
You have to take these reports that the release is imminent with a ton of salt.
I liked the note posted earlier how Trump makes up the end of the investigation and then believes it until he has to make up another fantasy end date.
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:48 PM   #427
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Several people have been indicted and some convicted. That is a big deal. A lot of bad things have come out. It isn't a good thing that the campaign manager shared private data with someone with Russian government ties.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:55 PM   #428
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Someone beat me to the story that Putin was playing pretty much the same games in Italy he was playing in the US. I always maintained Putin real purpose is to undermine democracy in the west by causing chaos and division, and getting someone in power who will do him favors is just a nice bonus.
Ditto Spain and the Catalan independence movement. Chaos and division are his product.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:20 PM   #429
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Several people have been indicted and some convicted. That is a big deal. A lot of bad things have come out. It isn't a good thing that the campaign manager shared private data with someone with Russian government ties.
****. They were going to prove collusion and they have zero evidence of that a bunch of process violations and manafort talking to the ukranians.

The only ones colluding with russia were hillary and the fbi
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:51 PM   #430
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

****. They were going to prove collusion and they have zero evidence of that a bunch of process violations and manafort talking to the ukranians.

They were not going to do anything other than their jobs and they did it.

Process crimes are bad.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:59 PM   #431
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

A continued investigation was justified.

A campaign was hacked by Russians with ties to the government, while family members to the candidate was taking meetings with other russian linked members offering dirt, while the campaign manager was sharing campaign info with someone with Russian ties, while the family was negotiating over russian real estate, and a long time friend and dirt monger was attempting communicating with the organization that received the stolen emails, and lying about it....etc etc etc.

I'm perfectly fine if there is no evidence of illegal activity or that none of these ended up with higher level communication. That all certainly is enough to keep looking into it.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:12 PM   #432
The Big Dog

A continued investigation was justified.

A campaign was hacked by Russians with ties to the government, while family members to the candidate was taking meetings with other russian linked members offering dirt, while the campaign manager was sharing campaign info with someone with Russian ties, while the family was negotiating over russian real estate, and a long time friend and dirt monger was attempting communicating with the organization that received the stolen emails, and lying about it....etc etc etc.

I'm perfectly fine if there is no evidence of illegal activity or that none of these ended up with higher level communication. That all certainly is enough to keep looking into it.
Please, actual crimes were ignored and the Obama doj passed out immunity deals with anyone and everyone. Now actual scumbag Andy McCabe is on a book tour spewing lies
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:41 PM   #433
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Please, actual crimes were ignored and the Obama doj passed out immunity deals with anyone and everyone. Now actual scumbag Andy McCabe is on a book tour spewing lies
None of that changes if a continued investigation was justified given all the new details I pointed out.

Just because hoover was a crook doesn't mean they shouldn't have investigated anything for 30 years.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 22nd February 2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:21 PM   #434
The Big Dog

None of that changes if a continued investigation was justified given all the new details I pointed out.

Just because hoover was a crook doesn't mean they shouldn't have investigated anything for 30 years.
I have no opinion about that argument no one made
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:28 PM   #435
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have no opinion about that argument no one made
I was stating that I had no opinion on your comment because it doesn't alter the continued justification for investigating, which is what I was interested in.
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:20 AM   #436
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Why not wait and find out, rather than reading tea leaves?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:52 AM   #437
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Why not wait and find out, rather than reading tea leaves?
So, you are saying that I should not have read Schiff’s nonsense?

We agree!
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:22 AM   #438
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

We agree!
Obviously not what phiwum meant. Clearly he was addressing your wishful presupposition.

What would the report need to contain in order for you not to dismiss it as a nothingburger? Is that even in the realm of possibility?

Even without the report, and even in alt reality where Trump is oblivious to the goings-on of his team, and even if Trump wasn't Putin's lap dog... it's a topsy-turvy world when the entire team is neck deep in Russian slime and this is a "nothingburger". Your nothingburger has all the characteristics of a greasy triple pounder.
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:56 AM   #439
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Obviously not what phiwum meant. Clearly he was addressing your wishful presupposition.

What would the report need to contain in order for you not to dismiss it as a nothingburger? Is that even in the realm of possibility?

Even without the report, and even in alt reality where Trump is oblivious to the goings-on of his team, and even if Trump wasn't Putin's lap dog... it's a topsy-turvy world when the entire team is neck deep in Russian slime and this is a "nothingburger". Your nothingburger has all the characteristics of a greasy triple pounder.
So, you think he just totally ignored the fact I referred to Schiff’s idiotic editorial? K.
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:07 AM   #440
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

We agree!
Schiff's letter stands on its own. He makes no predictions about the Mueller report, either explicitly or implicitly.

Indeed, here is the most relevant excerpt I can find.

Quote:
While I am alarmed at what we have already seen and found of the president’s conduct and that of his campaign, I continue to reserve judgment about what consequences should flow from our eventual findings. I ask you to do the same.
I don't see how you get from that to "Mueller got nothing" (not a quote). Schiff says he is willing to wait and see. So am I. It may be devastating to the President. It may say that there's no evidence the President knew about Russian interference or even may be exculpatory evidence. We'll see.

You sure are gonna look foolish (and not for the first time) if the report is damning. But, of course, you'll deny any damning bits as Deep State trickery and add a heavy bit of diversion to the sins of Clinton and Obama, I'm willing to wager. That's one thing I feel confident in forecasting.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics