ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Mueller investigation , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 08:48 PM   #601
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Ready to call it, yet?
As soon as I read the rest of the news about Matt Gaetz and NAMBLA.

Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
Matt Gaetz NAMBLA
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2019, 09:07 PM   #602
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Hmm, I have the actual words which say:

Rosenstein: "...if we aren't prepared to prove our case beyond a reasonable doubt in court, then we have no business making allegations against American citizens."
I'm the one who quoted those words. Me. Not you.

Quote:
And you have you exciting anecdote about a student writing an essay...
The anecdote is an illustration of wrong-doing minus the proof it that would add certainty to making it stick at the next level. Again you seem incapable of basic comprehension...
Old 26th February 2019, 09:13 PM   #603
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I'm the one who quoted those words. Me. Not you.

The anecdote is an illustration of wrong-doing minus the proof it that would add certainty to making it stick at the next level. Again you seem incapable of basic comprehension...
Actually, I linked to the actual words in the actual context so.

Cool anecdote tho. By the way, I enjoyed it more when you were posting insipid stories rather than posting insipid claims that smart people are incapable of basic comprehension.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2019, 09:19 PM   #604
beren
Graduate Poster

Cool anecdote tho. By the way, I enjoyed it more when you were posting insipid stories rather than posting insipid claims that smart people are incapable of basic comprehension.
He didn't say smart people. He's talking about you ...
Old 26th February 2019, 09:25 PM   #605
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think that denial of reality is going to be the only route left for the Trumpsters very soon....
For now, it is their preferred route.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2019, 09:28 PM   #606
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by beren View Post
gOoD CoMeBaCk.

Hoo boy, it is like the Algonquin Roundatable deigned to pay us a visit.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 26th February 2019 at 09:39 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2019, 09:40 PM   #607
beren
Graduate Poster

gOoD CoMeBaCk.

Hoo boy, Cain and beren, it is like the Algonquin Roundatable deigned to pay us a visit.
I notice you don't address the substance of my post, which is factual.

I'm sure that's not because you can't ....

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 26th February 2019, 11:27 PM   #608
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure it is.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2019, 11:55 PM   #609
Cain
Straussian

Nothing strange about it, it says, if they can't prove their case, then they are not going to release a public statement about people they think are innocent
This is just so elementary. No, it does not follow that the decision not to charge someone means they believe the person is innocent. That's just a rookie mistake, and I tried to explain it to you with a simple anecdote: My decision not to charge a student with cheating does not mean I think he's innocent. If I were more of a masochist, I'd review your posts on Hillary Clinton's server. More than almost any other poster, there's a tremendous gap between your opinion of your abilities, and your actual abilities. In this respect, you're a lot like Trump.

Quote:
You don't seem to know what context means either. You did link to posts that quoted Rosenstein's statement. It's difficult for me to confidently say you didn't read it because you seem perfectly capable of reading something and not understanding it.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:14 AM   #610
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Congressman Matt Gaetz tweeted

Isn't that blatent witness intimidation?
One would normally think so. One would normally think that a number of the President's statements would also count as such, though, too.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:21 AM   #611
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Michael Cohen was one of many lawyers who represented me (unfortunately). He had other clients also. He was just disbarred by the State Supreme Court for lying & fraud. He did bad things unrelated to Trump. He is lying in order to reduce his prison time. Using Crooked’s lawyer!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:39 AM   #612
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Ready to call it, yet?
I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone who did.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:31 AM   #613
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Michael Cohen was one of many lawyers who represented me (unfortunately). He had other clients also. He was just disbarred by the State Supreme Court for lying & fraud. He did bad things unrelated to Trump.
It isn't going to wash Stubby. Mr Cohen has documentary evidence verified by other witnesses - verified documents don't tell lies.

Quote:
He is lying in order to reduce his prison time. Using Crooked’s lawyer!
NOTHING Cohen is likely to say to Congress can reduce his sentence. He has already been sentenced on the basis of all the co-operation he has already given so far. In order to trigger Rule 35, Cohen would have to reveal something new that he had not already revealed to the SCO or the SDNY. And the first thing they will ask is "why didn't you tell us this already?"

For info: Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure › TITLE VII. POST-CONVICTION PROCEDURES › Rule 35. Correcting or Reducing a Sentence.
Upon the government's motion made within one year of sentencing, the court may reduce a sentence if the defendant, after sentencing, provided substantial assistance in investigating or prosecuting another person.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 04:26 AM   #614
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweeted

Michael Cohen was one of many lawyers who represented me (unfortunately). He had other clients also. He was just disbarred by the State Supreme Court for lying & fraud. He did bad things unrelated to Trump. He is lying in order to reduce his prison time. Using Crooked’s lawyer!
They was a real Trump tweet. Completely incoherent.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 05:17 AM   #615
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Michael Cohen will testify that Trump knew Roger Stone talked with WikiLeaks about DNC email dump

Quote:
Donald Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen is prepared to testify that Trump was aware of longtime adviser Roger Stone's efforts to reach out to WikiLeaks in advance of its release of damaging information about Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, according to a copy of his public testimony submitted to Congress and obtained by CNN.

In a stunning 20-page statement provided Tuesday night to lawmakers, Cohen details a wide range of allegations against Trump -- from making racist comments about African-Americans to participating during his presidency in an illegal hush-money scheme to keep his alleged extramarital affairs quiet -- as well as suggesting Trump faked a medical condition to get out of serving in the Vietnam War.

And Cohen will provide new details saying Trump was engaged in an aggressive pursuit of a major project in Russia in 2016, alleging the President's attorneys edited Cohen's 2017 testimony when he lied to Congress, downplaying the efforts to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 07:05 AM   #616
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm sure it is.
The fact that these posters think a personalized slur is "substance" tells us all one needs to know about the quality of their so called "arguments."
Old 27th February 2019, 09:07 AM   #617
beren
Graduate Poster

The fact that these posters think a personalized slur is "substance" tells us all one needs to know about the quality of their so called "arguments."
My post was factual. There was no slur. The substance was the fact. Granted, the substance was thin, but it did exist and was factual.

It is not the first time I have seen some posters on this site confuse facts with attacks though.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:41 AM   #618
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Liverpoolmiss on Badscience

Quote:
Meanwhile, a massive shock: Cohen has revealed the identity of Individual-1. Apparently it is Donald J. Trump. Which fits - we already knew Individual-1 became President in January 2017.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:47 AM   #619
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Trump Tweeted

Michael Cohen was one of many lawyers who represented me (unfortunately). He had other clients also.
Were they also called Trump?

Cohen was also an executive VP of the Trump Organization.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:57 AM   #620
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump Tweeted

Now Trump is throwing Sean Hannity under the bus?`
He'll be heartbroken.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:54 AM   #621
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Were they also called Trump?

Cohen was also an executive VP of the Trump Organization.
And also deputy chairman of the Republican finance committee.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #622
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
10h10 hours ago

Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:31 PM   #623
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BBC Report on Cohen testimony

Quote:
US President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen has claimed Mr Trump knew beforehand about a leak of hacked Democratic emails.

In congressional testimony, Cohen also said Mr Trump directed plans for a Moscow skyscraper even during his White House campaign.

In a blistering opening statement, Cohen branded Mr Trump a "racist", a "conman" and a "cheat"
Quote:
Cohen apologised for his earlier false statements to Congress, which he claimed were "reviewed and edited" by Mr Trump's lawyers.
Quote:
Cohen testified that, contrary to Mr Trump's repeated claims, he seemed to have advance knowledge of a meeting at Trump Tower in Manhattan between his campaign aides and a Russian lawyer promising "dirt" on Mrs Clinton.
Quote:
Cohen told lawmakers Mr Trump is a racist.

"He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn't a '********.'
This was when Barack Obama was President of the United States."

"He told me that black people would never vote for him because they were too stupid. And yet I continued to work for him."
Quote:
He submitted to the committee a copy of his $130,000 (£97,000) wire transfer to Stormy Daniels to keep her quiet.
Cohen also gave the panel a copy of a $35,000 cheque dated August 2017 - one of a series he said Mr Trump signed to pay him back in instalments.
Quote:
He said Mr Trump arranged for an anonymous bid to pay highest price - of $60,000 - for a portrait of himself during an auction in the Hamptons, an affluent enclave of New York state, then paid for it from the account of his self-named charitable foundation, before hanging the picture in one of his country clubs.

He told lawmakers he wrote letters on behalf of Mr Trump threatening the Republican candidate's high school and colleges not to release his grades to reporters.

He says Mr Trump admitted to him he had no medical evidence of the bone spurs in his foot that he once claimed to obtain a draft deferment during the Vietnam War. He says Mr Trump told him: "You think I'm stupid, I wasn't going to Vietnam"
Quote:
Cohen suggested federal prosecutors in New York are investigating some unspecified crime involving Trump.
Raja Krishnamoorthi, an Illinois Democrat, asked Cohen about his final conversation with Mr Trump, which the witness said happened about two months after the FBI raided Cohen's home and office last April.
Cohen said he could not divulge what they discussed because it was currently being investigated by the Southern District of New York prosecutor.
Mr Krishnamoorthi pressed: "Is there any other wrongdoing or illegal act that you are aware of regarding Donald Trump that we haven't yet discussed today?"
"Yes, and again, those are part of the investigation that is currently being looked at by the Southern District of New York," Cohen replied.
Quote:
Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Florida Democrat who led the DNC when it was hacked, asked the witness: "Is it possible the whole [Trump] family is conflicted or compromised with a foreign adversary in the months before the election?"
Cohen said yes.
Quote:
During the hearing, the president's fellow Republicans pilloried committee Democrats for inviting a man convicted of lying to Congress.

Jim Jordan of Ohio called Cohen - who lost his law licence on Tuesday - a "fraudster" and "cheat".
"Certainly it's the first time a convicted perjurer has been brought back to be a star witness in a hearing," said the lawmaker, a Trump ally.

Arizona Republican Paul Gosar told Cohen: "Look at the old adage that our moms taught us: 'Liar, liar pants on fire.' No one should ever listen to you and give you credibility. It's sad.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47389621

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th February 2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:48 PM   #624
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen testimony

“I recognize that some of you may doubt and attack me on my credibility. It is for this reason that I have incorporated into this opening statement documents that are irrefutable, and demonstrate that the information you will hear is accurate and truthful.”

“Copies of letters I wrote at Mr. Trump’s direction that threatened his high school, colleges, and the College Board not to release his grades or SAT scores.”

“A lot of people have asked me about whether Mr. Trump knew about the release of the hacked Democratic National Committee emails ahead of time. The answer is yes.”

"Mr. Assange told Mr. Stone that, within a couple of days, there would be a massive dump of emails that would damage Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

Mr. Trump responded by stating to the effect of 'wouldn’t that be great.'”

"As I earlier stated, Mr. Trump knew from Roger Stone in advance about the WikiLeaks drop of emails.”

"He doesn't give you questions, he doesn't give you orders, he speaks in code, and I understand the code because I've been around him for a decade."

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th February 2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:49 PM   #625
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen says he was asked to pay off a woman that claims to have had Trumps child.
He will release all 11 checks Trump made out to him as part of a criminal campaign finance violation scheme
Old 27th February 2019, 12:50 PM   #626
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Gosar: “You’re a pathological liar, you don’t know truth from falsehood.”

Cohen: “Are you referring to me, or the president?”
Old 27th February 2019, 12:52 PM   #627
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen to the GOP

“I did the same thing you’re doing now for ten years… the people who do what I did and follow Trump blindly will follow the same fate I did”

“Shame on you, Mr Jordan,” Cohen said after Jordan asserted Cohen was disputing facts of his charges. “I take responsibility for my actions.”

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th February 2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:53 PM   #628
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Fordham University confirms Michael Cohen’s testimony that Donald Trump threatened legal action if his academic records were released.
Just how bad do you think Donald was as a student?
Old 27th February 2019, 12:55 PM   #629
Belz...
Fiend God

"He doesn't give you questions, he doesn't give you orders, he speaks in code, and I understand the code because I've been around him for a decade."
Exactly like a mobster.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:56 PM   #630
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Fordham University confirms Michael Cohen’s testimony that Donald Trump threatened legal action if his academic records were released.
I strongly suspect he had the finest grades his father's money could buy.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:56 PM   #631
Belz...
Fiend God

Mueller to the GOP

“I did the same thing you’re doing now for ten years… the people who do what I did and follow Trump blindly will follow the same fate I did”

“Shame on you, Mr Jordan,” Cohen said after Jordan asserted Cohen was disputing facts of his charges. “I take responsibility for my actions.”
Cohen?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:57 PM   #632
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Of course they were already prevented by law from releasing academic records. The threats of legal action were unnecessary, and ended up making things look worse for the president.
Quote:
How do you know he wasn't trying to hide that he was a straight-A student and was being modest about it? After all, I hear he's a very stable genius.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:07 PM   #633
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Cohen?
Oops! yes
Old 27th February 2019, 01:08 PM   #634
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sarah Kendzior tweet

Verified account
@sarahkendzior

Someone should ask the GOP why, given Cohen's long history of criminal ties and behavior -- which was in the public domain before 2016 -- they made him the deputy finance chairman of the Republican National Committee in 2017
Old 27th February 2019, 01:10 PM   #635
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
So it's like the Steele dossier all over again - all that can be verified checks out.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:16 PM   #636
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 27th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #637
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Was going to post that
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:24 PM   #638
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Damn it, ninja'd.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:26 PM   #639
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I was thinking, how long 'til that's posted . . .

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:00 PM   #640
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently Matt Gaetz is a lawyer.

Quote:
The Florida Bar has opened an investigation into whether Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) violated professional conduct rules by threatening former Trump fixer Michael Cohen ahead of Cohen’s congressional testimony on Wednesday.

The organization, which licenses lawyers to practice in the state, would not disclose details of the investigation, but spokesperson Francine Walker, said the bar is “quite aware of [Gaetz’s] comments...and we have opened an investigation.”

“If rules have been violated, The Florida Bar will vigorously pursue appropriate discipline by the Florida Supreme Court,” Walker said in a statement. “The Florida Bar takes its responsibility of regulating lawyer conduct very seriously.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics