ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 15th March 2019, 04:08 PM   #481
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Ugh. I suppose he will want a trial so that he can espouse his manifesto all through the proceedings.
I don't think he will be safe in prison, though.

Of course he may get VIP treatment and be kept away from the regular prison population.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:13 PM   #482
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I don't think he will be safe in prison, though.

Of course he may get VIP treatment and be kept away from the regular prison population.
Seems like that's the right thing to do, if you want justice.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:17 PM   #483
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Perhaps more specifically it is an “ironic” 4chan white power symbol for the alt-right generation.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:19 PM   #484
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Apologies if this got covered already, I just lost my mind over it...

Fox Analyst Decries NZ Attack, Calls Alleged Political Motive ‘Understandable’

Somehow he goes on to declare how the Arab and Muslim world need to do something about this.

Not to mention, ehhh, you just made a call to action, sir...

He then went on to tweet, blaming Iran for twisting his words and making him look bad.
"My words were twisted and taken out of context" is becoming the new equivalent of "The Dog Ate My Homework".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:21 PM   #485
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
It wasn't disabled. But doesn't matter....

I understand, as I said in my origional Grand Tyrant post, that the legal system requires a trial. But to what purpose in this particular case?

How much money will the NZ government waste on proving this person guilty of murders he proudly filmed himself doing? Use that money to help the relatives of the victims, to better help New Zealanders lose any prejudices and integrate immigrants into general society, to better the society as a whole.
I am pretty much a hardass when it comes to violent crime,and I regret that NZ does not have a death penalty for this guy, but still, I would not deny a arrested suspect his day in Court.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:23 PM   #486
Cain
Straussian

Since these somewhat understandable (but totally inexcusable) attacks were carried out by a white guy, I'm going to blame mental illness.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:24 PM   #487
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Ok, but try making the equivalent point on Fox News about an Arab or Muslim attacker.

That and the sheer audacity of concluding that a Mosque shooting is something the "Arab, Muslim world" needs to do something about.
I get a sick feeling that some Muslim extremists will do something about the shootings....and it will be just as evil.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:27 PM   #488
Steve
Philosopher

Ugh. I suppose he will want a trial so that he can espouse his manifesto all through the proceedings.
I would like to see the judge and as many jury and court officials as possible be people with darker coloured skin. He would hate that.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:27 PM   #489
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Looks like a pretty straightforward, "the ends are understandable, but don't justify the means" type argument.
What are the ends?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:28 PM   #490
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The PDJT Tweeted:

I find it curious that this is the only time he did not offer "thoughts and prayers". I thought probably because he's not going to offer Christian prayers to any damn Muslims. He's shown enough dickishness in his past that this is a very real possibility.
You don't think that Donnie has any real religious beliefs, do you?
He is basically pandering to the Christain Fundies...buying their votes by doing crap they want. I think he probably laughs at them behind their back.
But yeah, the difference is telling and deliberate.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:32 PM   #491
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I would like to see the judge and as many jury and court officials as possible be people with darker coloured skin. He would hate that.
Hey, have his trial in a New Zealand District with a very heavy Maori majority. I would love to see that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:34 PM   #492
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Perhaps more specifically it is an “ironic” 4chan white power symbol for the alt-right generation.
Yeah, he is going to make his trial a platform for his Neo Nazi crap.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:34 PM   #493
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hey, have his trial in a New Zealand District with a very heavy Maori majority. I would love to see that.
It would show him who really has the power.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:43 PM   #494
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The PDJT Tweeted:

I find it curious that this is the only time he did not offer "thoughts and prayers". I thought probably because he's not going to offer Christian prayers to any damn Muslims. He's shown enough dickishness in his past that this is a very real possibility.
I think you're trying too hard and doing too much editorializing.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:48 PM   #495
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I think you're trying too hard and doing too much editorializing.
Dear Leader is perfect and must not be questioned.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:53 PM   #496
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Someone (Cullen?) said earlier that Christchurch Airport was closed because they don’t check baggage. Someone please say this isn’t so.
Only domestic flights

International they obviously do

Ie they just stopped domestic outbound
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 15th March 2019 at 04:54 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:58 PM   #497
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I get a sick feeling that some Muslim extremists will do something about the shootings....and it will be just as evil.
No. They won't
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:01 PM   #498
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here we go...

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
...A second man Daniel John Burrough, 18, has also been charged in relation to the mosque attacks but he did not appear in court...

...Burrough has also been charged with intent to excite hostility or ill will against any group of persons in New Zealand and publishing written matter which is insulting, court documents said.

Another man remains in custody, and police are still trying to 'build a picture of any of the individuals involved and all of their activities prior to this horrific event'...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...or-attack.html
Old 15th March 2019, 05:02 PM   #499
Axxman300
Illuminator

First, my condolences to the wonderful people in New Zealand. I'm sorry this kind of thing happened in your country.

I last night, as this was going down live on the internet I was able to see the shooter's Facebook page. The guy wrote names of other mass killers/killings on the magazine of his AR-15 in silver Sharpie, his page is the poster-child of red flags. Completely unglued.

I don't have much more to say right now because the facts are still coming in. New Zealand will sort this out.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:05 PM   #500
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Other media are saying about Burroughs that it was intent to incite racial hatred, or racial hostility, or inciting ill will. None say anything about actual violence or assault.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:07 PM   #501
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently both Tarrant and the Neo Nazi Alpha Hotels in Chalottesville got the "Whites are being replaced" meme from a book by a right wing Le Pen supporter in France.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:08 PM   #502
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It seems the killer had firearms license, issued in November 2017... the **** is really going to hit the fan over that. Heads may well roll!

I'm guessing that if a person's social media postings and profile haven't been looked at as far as meeting the "fit and proper person" threshold, they will be now.
Yeah I saw this when I woke up, I'm shocked at that. He apparently had a class "A" licence (pretty much the lowest available.) It means that most of the guns he could have gotten legally. This is seriously an issue with the Gun Licencing, and that may need to change. I have no issues with gun licence applications requiring people's social media accounts as part of the "fit and proper" checking.

I will point out that several of the weapons he had were class "E" and thus illegal for him, and the extended "banana" clips are illegal in New Zealand, so he can not have bought them legally either.

The head of the Gun Association here is saying that a lot of these illegal weapons are coming in on foreign fishing boats, with the people on board selling them illegally to make some extra money.

The shooter is also apparently know on TradeMe in the capacity of both selling and buying weapons.

I think that if the PM wants to change gun laws, the first place is looking into how we determine a person is "fit and proper" to hold a licence.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 15th March 2019 at 05:10 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:09 PM   #503
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Only domestic flights
I find this utterly astounding. This must change. Is it believed that terrorist attacks can’t happen on domestic flights?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:10 PM   #504
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I read that the Muslims at these mosques are almost entirely from India, Bangladesh and Indonesia.
That fits the demographic, except that most Indian muslims in NZ are Fijian Indians.

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The sign means white power.
Co-opted by QAnon, which would fit very closely with his Trump-love and 4 & 8Chans.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Only domestic flights
Do you catch the Great Barrier flight?

Apart from very small planes, luggage is still checked domestically. Jesus, I have to stop and be screened every stinking time due to metal in my body as my gear goes through x-ray screening.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:11 PM   #505
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

If people are wondering about the drop from 4 to 3 arrested, one of the people was arrested in the area with a gun, but was apparently thinking they could do the good Samaritan thing of finding and dealing with the shooter.

Edited: Apparently this was old news and incorrect.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 15th March 2019 at 05:30 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:12 PM   #506
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yes it ******* was. I'm shocked you would apologize for this.

I am well aware of the norm in acknowledging such tragedies then going on with one's press conference. But a press conference that is as tone deaf as that?

No, any legitimate diplomat would never combine those two things. It's especially egregious parading said 'Angel families' when the families and loved ones of 49 dead New Zealanders are still in the anguish of the immediate aftermath and the shooter essentially said Trump's hatred of Muslims and anyone who isn't white is his role model.
Wow. That's a lot of hate you have brewing there.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:13 PM   #507
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I find this utterly astounding. This must change. Is it believed that terrorist attacks can’t happen on domestic flights?
It's just incorrect - see above. Every passenger, every piece of baggage, is screened on all domestic flights other than a few small planes that fly half a dozen people to obscure spots.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:13 PM   #508
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It occurs to me that the two other guys arrested may be internet fanboys that showed up at the massacre. Tarrant's manifesto is said to name the mosques where he would strike and of course he had a live video feed going. These other guys may have been locals who followed the killer online and anticipated him showing up at the second mosque. Not accomplices per se, but maybe they were verbally cheering and taunting while it was happening.

Just a thought.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:14 PM   #509
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

We have no baggage screening on Domestic flights, and no passenger screening on Regional flights.

And I don't know why this is astounding, even with yesterday, terrorist is something that is so rare in New Zealand that to spend the huge amounts of money it would require to do screening to prevent something that all but non-existent, is crazy.

It was looked into after a regional plane was hijacked about a decade back, and the cost-benefit is simply not worth it.

Old 15th March 2019, 05:16 PM   #510
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think that if the PM wants to change gun laws, the first place is looking into how we determine a person is "fit and proper" to hold a licence.
This is not enough to prevent further massacres. You’ve seen the evidence in Australia that eliminating semi-automatics has eliminated mass shootings.

Why does a hunter need a semi-automatic for anyway? Not much sport in cutting an animal in two. Have a licensed category for eliminating feral animals if you must, but get rid of these weapons.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:18 PM   #511
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If people are wondering about the drop from 4 to 3 arrested, one of the people was arrested in the area with a gun, but was apparently thinking they could do the good Samaritan thing of finding and dealing with the shooter.
NZ Herald has a story about a guy who was arrested because he was wearing camouflage. He was picking up his kid at school, was unarmed and had a gun held to his head. He was arrested and then released and now plans to sue for wrongful arrest.

We were also told about a female who was arrested. Maybe she is still under arrest as one of the "other two".
Old 15th March 2019, 05:19 PM   #512
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You might want to check that info, because anyone in the area with a gun would have been charged for having a gun in a public place.

There was a story on Stuff earlier about a bloke arrested because he turned up to pick up his kid from school wearing full camo gear. That one is at least possible, however the story has disappeared. The guy was named.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:23 PM   #513
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Holy crap, the country is virtually cancelled today, with all major events being put off, mainly at the behest of the cops, who want to have armed pigs at everything. Bryan Adams and Polyfest, 1000 km away, have been called off, along with any event featuring people.

Nothing like shutting the door far too late.

Trying to make up for their deficiencies in vetting the guy for a gun licence?
Old 15th March 2019, 05:23 PM   #514
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

This is not enough to prevent further massacres. You’ve seen the evidence in Australia that eliminating semi-automatics has eliminated mass shootings.

Why does a hunter need a semi-automatic for anyway? Not much sport in cutting an animal in two. Have a licensed category for eliminating feral animals if you must, but get rid of these weapons.
It's not a question of "need", it's a question of "want". You don't need sugar or coffee, tobacco or desserts, but you may want one of these things.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:26 PM   #515
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
It's not a question of "need", it's a question of "want". You don't need sugar or coffee, tobacco or desserts, but you may want one of these things.

Chris B.
And government has the right to restrict wants. A lot of sick people might want to rape, rob and injure. These wants are prohibited, as semi-automatics should be.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th March 2019, 05:26 PM   #516
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Camouflage wearer claims wrongful arrest

Originally Posted by New Zealand Herald
A Christchurch man says he will seek compensation for wrongful arrest for wearing camouflage clothing yesterday while police were dealing with the mosques massacre.

Stephen Millar, a 30-year-old father of young children, said he was inadvertently caught up in the police operation when he arrived outside Papanui High School intending to pick up his 13-year-old brother-in-law.

A police officer held a gun to his head and ordered him down on the ground.

"I looked up at the cop and he said, 'Look at me again and I will shoot you'.

"I had no weapons on me."

"They had me on my knees, they had a gun in my face.

"I said, 'I've done nothing wrong. They said I was an idiot for wearing camouflage clothing."...
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213264
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG65PZIIF5HOLIBFJYR46JRW5U.jpg (47.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th March 2019, 05:27 PM   #517
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Does such a permit allow one to import a semiautomatic rifle? I was shocked to see such a weapon in NZ, I think because of Australia's ban on certain guns after the Port Arthur mass shooting.
You need an appropriate licence to import weapons (usually a Dealer's "D" licence), and then the weapon must be on the Approved Importation list that the Police hold, and you need to apply to import with the police if you want to bring in anything other then class A weapons.

Old 15th March 2019, 05:30 PM   #518
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

And government has the right to restrict wants. A lot of sick people might want to rape, rob and injure. These wants are prohibited, as semi-automatics should be.
No, no they do not. Governments do not have rights.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:30 PM   #519
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Camouflage wearer claims wrongful arrest
Good find, that was it.

Meanwhile, just to remove any doubt about NZ airline screening, here's a link to the government department's own information page:

Quote:
Old 15th March 2019, 05:31 PM   #520
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It's just incorrect - see above. Every passenger, every piece of baggage, is screened on all domestic flights other than a few small planes that fly half a dozen people to obscure spots.
When was the last time you flew regional in New Zealand?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events