ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th June 2019, 07:48 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

A lone conservative among liberals is like a wounded animal among piranas

Liberals have been known to assault Conservatives for wearing a maga hat in public. There are bad conservatives too but our weirdos aren't as violent as the liberal weirdos in society.
Old 25th June 2019, 07:52 AM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Liberals have been known to assault Conservatives for wearing a maga hat in public. There are bad conservatives too but our weirdos aren't as violent as the liberal weirdos in society.
That never happened.

Conservatives lie to advance their agendas.
Old 25th June 2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That never happened.

Sure we do NOT. It's on youtube see for yourself.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #4
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That never happened.

Google seems to think otherwise. Granted, I'm sure it will show that conservatives also assault liberals if I knew what to search for.

To the OP, there's wingnuts in every group willing to to punch someone they disagree with. I would very much like for the majority of us to agree that its bad even when the violent jerks are more or less on our side.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:08 AM   #5
Francesca R
Girl

Do piranas (sic) leap out of the water to devour wounded animals?
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Google seems to think otherwise. Granted, I'm sure it will show that conservatives also assault liberals if I knew what to search for.

To the OP, there's wingnuts in every group willing to to punch someone they disagree with. I would very much like for the majority of us to agree that its bad even when the violent jerks are more or less on our side.
I don't consider anyone willing to commit assault for no good reason as "on my side". Regardless what political ideologies they may hold to.

Just saying.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:15 AM   #7
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Grandpa, why can't we just have a nice Thanksgiving this year?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:16 AM   #8
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Yeah no violent conservatives out there...

https://www.adl.org/news/op-ed/right...mbers-dont-lie

Last edited by lobosrul5; 25th June 2019 at 08:36 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:25 AM   #9
dann
Philosopher

Sure we do NOT. It's on youtube see for yourself.

You're right, of course: Conservatives have never been known to assault Liberals for wearing a MAGA hat in public.

ETA: Everybody risks being attacked by Conservatives for wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt. You don't even have to actually wear one.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 25th June 2019 at 08:39 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:30 AM   #10
wareyin
Philosopher

A lone conservative among liberals is like a wounded animal among piranas

Watching conservatives trying to make or defend claims certainly does remind me of wounded animals wildly flailing about, finding no purchase, and usually in over their depth.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:35 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Hitchens's Razor applies here.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:35 AM   #12
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I don't consider anyone willing to commit assault for no good reason as "on my side". Regardless what political ideologies they may hold to.

Just saying.
Strikes me as more an more unusual. Granted, that may be partially due to perception bias and cynicism on my part. Side note, I'm both a cynic and a skeptic, which makes me a real bad example of a skeptic.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:36 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Do piranas (sic) leap out of the water to devour wounded animals?
The piranha lures animals into the water with its bewitching song.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:38 AM   #14
3point14
Pi

Infamy! Infamy!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 08:38 AM   #15
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Strikes me as more an more unusual. Granted, that may be partially due to perception bias and cynicism on my part. Side note, I'm both a cynic and a skeptic, which makes me a real bad example of a skeptic.
Agreed, there's a lot of tribalism that's running rampant right now, on all sides. Even tribal centrists, IMHO. Can't stand it...I'm hoping to win the lottery so I can move to a private island, surround by sea mines, AA guns, and protected by my hordes of trained, laser-guided, air-dropped land piranha.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The piranha lures animals into the water with its bewitching song.
And then kill them with the freakin' laser beams on their heads.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:51 AM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"A lone conservative among liberals is like a wounded animal among piranas."

One wounded animal pulled out and used a sword at a roller rink.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:04 AM   #17
plague311
Great minds think...

I was trying to find my violin but I couldn't be bothered.

Violence is never condoned by anyone, and the people that do it (no matter their political affiliation) are morons.

As has been previously stated though, this isn't specific to a political party. There are violent people on both sides.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 09:12 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I was trying to find my violin but I couldn't be bothered.

Violence is never condoned by anyone, and the people that do it (no matter their political affiliation) are morons.
Of course it is, just listen to the president. Violence against protestors is good and anyone who wears a maga hat can really get behind that, why else would they be showing their support of someone who promotes violence against protestors? This shows clear condoning of violence, like it shows clear condoning of racism.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 09:14 AM   #19
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Seriously?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 09:20 AM   #20
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Infamy! Infamy!

They’ve all got it infamy!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 09:47 AM   #21
Mader Levap
Muse

Why you are feeding troll? I was here years ago and OP was spewing nonsense like that too.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:57 AM   #22
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Another well balanced thread with thoughtful and nuanced contributions from both sides.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 10:03 AM   #23
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

But it's like a formula right now.

A lone x among y is like a wounded animal among piranhas.

A lone liberal among conservatives is like a wounded animal among piranhas.
A lone MRA among feminists is like a wounded animal among piranhas.
A lone fan of the GoT finale among haters is like a wounded animal among piranhas.

If you charge into a space that holds opposing beliefs and start telling them why they're wrong, you're liable to have them "gang up" on you. That's what being a lone voice usually is. OP was singling out "liberals" as the piranhas when literally any space is full of piranhas if we're defining them as people defending their beliefs against perceived "outsiders."

It's worse than ever right now because of polarized politics and sociopolitical topics in general.

EDIT: I didn't even comment on the part about violence because I assumed it was included to be inflammatory. Or maybe OP has been asleep for a few murder sprees.

Last edited by isissxn; 25th June 2019 at 10:39 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 10:15 AM   #24
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

The chad piranha
- Fearsome and deadly
- Never loses an argument
- Always eats out with his friends

The Virgin Prey
- Doesn't know how to fight back
- Covered in small bites
- Please God make the pain stop
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 10:16 AM   #25
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

...and that marine was named Albert Einstein, and the whole class applauded!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 10:25 AM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
...and that marine was named Albert Einstein, and the whole class applauded!
Then he quietly expired, having choked to death on the burglar's fingers.
Old 25th June 2019, 10:33 AM   #27
sackett
Philosopher

O god how CLEVER!

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Why you are feeding troll? I was here years ago and OP was spewing nonsense like that too.
Heck, nobody's feeding the troll, he's feeding us. With Snickers.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 10:36 AM   #28
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Another well balanced thread with thoughtful and nuanced contributions from both sides.
[Jason Bourne voice / sneer]

"I'm not on your side"

[/That was actually more difficult than I thought]
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 11:10 AM   #29
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I have no experience with this particular poster. The few things I've seen in the last few days is the only time I can remember running into him.

That being said I have self inflicted memory issues...

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 11:17 AM   #30
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
They’ve all got it infamy!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 11:37 AM   #31
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Today I read about hundreds of children in detention centers without adequate food, privacy, medicine, diapers, and where toddlers have been given over to other teenaged detainees who are not their family for care.

I also read the head of the Federal Reserve had to give a statement about the importance of an independent Federal Reserve that isn't pressured by the White House to make decisions for short-term political reasons rather than the long-term health of the US economy.

I agree with you that people should not be assaulting each other over political differences. We definitely must not be rude to those people who are pounding on the foundations of our society with sledge-hammers. Instead we should calmly stand back and convince them of the error of their actions and hope their blind and misinformed anger doesn't destroy too much before they come to their senses.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 11:39 AM   #32
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
[Jason Bourne voice / sneer]

"I'm not on your side"

[/That was actually more difficult than I thought]
I prefer Treebeard's quote:

"I am not altogether on anybody's 'side'."
Old 25th June 2019, 12:27 PM   #33
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Too be fair, its not like a thread starting with; liberals bad, conservatives good could go any other way.
Old 25th June 2019, 12:38 PM   #34
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Said it before, will say it again

Just a personal observation.

Americans seem to take their political differences way to personally.

And you have this thing where if a person doesn't agree with one party, there is some weird rule where this means you by default must agree with everything the other party does.

We have it to a lesser degree here obviously, but over there it seems to be on steroids.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 12:42 PM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Said it before, will say it again

Just a personal observation.

Americans seem to take their political differences way to personally.

And you have this thing where if a person doesn't agree with one party, there is some weird rule where this means you by default must agree with everything the other party does.
Yea nothing wrong with supporting a leader based on racism and the like. You should never let racism get between you and your friends, why think of how racist your close friends are.

I mean it is like torture, you can disagree on it and even is someone does it for a living that is not a big deal.

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 25th June 2019 at 12:43 PM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 01:06 PM   #36
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yea nothing wrong with supporting a leader based on racism and the like. You should never let racism get between you and your friends, why think of how racist your close friends are.

I mean it is like torture, you can disagree on it and even is someone does it for a living that is not a big deal.
I rest my case
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 01:10 PM   #37
ahhell
Master Poster

I rest my case
Handy when some makes your case for you isn't it?
Old 25th June 2019, 01:13 PM   #38
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Handy when some makes your case for you isn't it?
I knew it wouldn't take long

Old 25th June 2019, 01:19 PM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

There are bad conservatives too but our weirdos aren't as violent as the liberal weirdos in society.
Richard Spencer's one of yours, by the way.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 01:23 PM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I rest my case
And of course voting for racists and white supremacists is all cool with you as well. I mean you certainly can't call white supremacists deplorable that is right out for civil conversation.

Yes you are clear that one needs to respect the political views of such people. You can't write them off just because they support white supremacists clearly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics