IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Skeptic's Guide forum DOA?

I've been unable to log onto the SGU forum for several days now.

Anyone know what's going on?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Swagomatic
Homer Simpson Analogue

Yeah, kinda weird, I was hoping someone might know something.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:45 PM   #3
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Quite broken.
Old 28th November 2014, 03:41 AM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Basic rule number 2 of backing up your data is sometimes do a test restore from your backups to make sure they work. Do this without touching the real data.

Basic rule number 1 is do backups.
http://sguforums.com/
Old 28th November 2014, 07:30 AM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Basic rule number 2 of backing up your data is sometimes do a test restore from your backups to make sure they work. Do this without touching the real data.

Basic rule number 1 is do backups.
http://sguforums.com/
For those who don't want to click:
Quote:
Yes, it's happened again. Hello. I've just taken a break from bashing my head against the wall to write this, and to wait until my sight returns, the crippling pain subsides and my brain stops hissing at me in guttural French. And these are the unfortunate tidings I find myself reporting: yes, it's happened again, our forum database is knackered.

As you may remember, a while back we lost the database due to an error on our part. As the scantiest of comforts, this time around the fault lies with the hosting company. We're still trying to ascertain exactly what happened ('your database was corrupted in the outage' isn't much of an explanation, yet it's the only one we've been offered thus far) and what can be done.

According to the hosting company, the back-ups of the database have also been corrupted. That seems to run counter to the very bloody point of a bloody back-up, but I've ceased to expect basic competence from these people. Rest assured that regardless of how this all comes out, we shall take our custom elsewhere.

We profoundly regret confronting you, our members, with another deeply annoying setback like this. Wastrel and Belgarath are hard at work to see what can be salvaged. We will keep you posted.

On behalf of the moderation team,

humble, pissed off and with aching head,

Louie
I've generally found that any time the thought crosses my mind "Hmm, maybe it's about time I should make a backup..." I should make a backup.
Old 7th December 2014, 02:43 PM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The forum is back, well sort of. Everything from 2012 has been lost. http://sguforums.us/index.php/topic,...72412.html#new

Only hope it does not happen here.
Old 8th December 2014, 04:26 AM   #7
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

These forums are hosted on Digital Ocean now. Digital Ocean have a little tick box that says "back my server up every day". Of course, (a) you need to tick that box (and your server costs 20% more if you do), (b) those backups have to work, and to test them you have to create a new virtual server, and (c) if you suffer from subtle database problems rather than bang-you're-dead, you might find that your backups are full of useless bytes.

It's still great progress. Ticking a box and paying the money is a lot easier than keeping to a schedule yourself.
Old 8th December 2014, 08:38 AM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The forum is back, well sort of. Everything from 2012 has been lost. http://sguforums.us/index.php/topic,...72412.html#new

Only hope it does not happen here.
Already did...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe