ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , celebrity opinions , Ellen Degeneres , George W. Bush

Old 10th October 2019, 10:28 AM   #201
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Imma take off my shirt. As a shirt wearer, my existence shall be ended.

Eta: before anyone says it, yes that is the argument. Shifting the parameters from some conversionalists want to fundamentally change you, way over to an entire political party wants to end your existence.
I have never considered whether someone wears a shirt or not as a core identifying feature of ones existence. But I'm open to hearing that argument.

Would it have mattered if I had put it in terms of religion? Would that have helped? If one side is passing las to make it illegal for Catholics to practice their religion and punishes them and takes away rights if they choose to not forsake their religion, would that not be "one side wants to end my existence"?

But I didn't go that direction, so please, tell us all about how wearing a shirt is central part of who you are as a human being, while we fit you for a poncho, a real poncho, not a sears poncho or anything.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 10:29 AM   #202
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I like how the guy who just compared wearing a shirt to sexual orientation thinks what someone else posted is too stupid to be taken seriously.
Exactly! See, I knew you'd get it!

Conflating a small group of conversion nuts wanting to change your orientation to the whole of Republicans wanting to end your existence is just as ridiculous. Why turn your otherwise valid point into a parody?
Old 10th October 2019, 10:35 AM   #203
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I have never considered whether someone wears a shirt or not as a core identifying feature of ones existence. But I'm open to hearing that argument.

Would it have mattered if I had put it in terms of religion? Would that have helped? If one side is passing las to make it illegal for Catholics to practice their religion and punishes them and takes away rights if they choose to not forsake their religion, would that not be "one side wants to end my existence"?

But I didn't go that direction, so please, tell us all about how wearing a shirt is central part of who you are as a human being, while we fit you for a poncho, a real poncho, not a sears poncho or anything.
Had their argument included an 'as a...' , I would agree with your take. But that position is frequently repeated (via body of work) as a literal reading. Similar to ' all conservatives are Nazi's.

My dispute is with the needless theatricality. Which was defended as hairsplitting, compared with actual murder.
Old 10th October 2019, 10:51 AM   #204
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Had their argument included an 'as a...' , I would agree with your take. But that position is frequently repeated (via body of work) as a literal reading. Similar to ' all conservatives are Nazi's.

My dispute is with the needless theatricality. Which was defended as hairsplitting, compared with actual murder.
No, your dispute is with the phrasing of their position. See the first sentence of this post.

Oh, and kudos for calling the gays "theatrical". That will surely get under their skin.

Not your finest hour, but I'm sure you had a good point to make in there somewhere. So, totally worth it.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:06 AM   #205
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Oh, and kudos for calling the gays "theatrical". That will surely get under their skin.
But being gay is just like wearing a shirt, so I'm sure it's fine.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:08 AM   #206
johnny karate

Your dispute is with the concept of comprehension.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:27 AM   #207
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Exactly! See, I knew you'd get it!

Conflating a small group of conversion nuts wanting to change your orientation to the whole of Republicans wanting to end your existence is just as ridiculous. Why turn your otherwise valid point into a parody?
Yea like those laws in Uganda that the christian right backed, or the Russian concentration camps for gays. All just hyperbole there too.

Here is another good article on tolerance and not letting a few nuts let you get carried away.

https://www.nytimes.com/1922/11/21/a...ited-with.html

I mean it is as crazy as those people who say Trump wants to put Hispanics in concentration camps.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:33 AM   #208
Thermal
Philosopher

No, your dispute is with the phrasing of their position. See the first sentence of this post.

Not your finest hour, but I'm sure you had a good point to make in there somewhere. So, totally worth it.
That particular phrasing is a touch beyond simple word choice; it conjures an entirely different meaning.

And if using 'theatrically' in that context is seen as offensive, all is indeed lost.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:03 PM   #209
johnny karate

That particular phrasing is a touch beyond simple word choice; it conjures an entirely different meaning.
Other people seem to understand the intended meaning just fine.

At some point, you need to consider that maybe the problem lies with you.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:08 PM   #210
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

And if using 'theatrically' in that context is seen as offensive, all is indeed lost.
"Offensive" is such a snowflake of a word. I would have used lazy, tiresome, boorish, or hackneyed. Which is all just a way to say: disappointing, because I know you are better than that post reflects.

Old 10th October 2019, 01:45 PM   #211
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I think Brainster is asking if luchog really believes that Republicans actually want to kill luchog, specifically or generally, not whether they are actually Republicans.
Or kill anybody, as far as that goes.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:41 PM   #212
Thermal
Philosopher

"Offensive" is such a snowflake of a word. I would have used lazy, tiresome, boorish, or hackneyed. Which is all just a way to say: disappointing, because I know you are better than that post reflects.
Many would disagree, but let me try:

Can I use disingenuous? No, sounds like dissing indigenous peoples.
Sophmoric? Slamming underclassmen.
Wait...is underclassmen offensive...er, I mean lazy? How about 'non-graduated-men? No, that's sexist...wait, sexist is offensive...er, tiresome to asexuals...

I give up...

Ah, ****, the French...
Old 10th October 2019, 04:09 PM   #213
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Or kill anybody, as far as that goes.
Well, in fairness, we all have a short list, don't we?
Old 10th October 2019, 04:16 PM   #214
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, in fairness, we all have a short list, don't we?
In fairness, I think both the Republicans and the Democrats have rather long lists, with a lot of overlap.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:21 PM   #215
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In fairness, I think both the Republicans and the Democrats have rather long lists, with a lot of overlap.
Pretty sure 'overlap' is offensive to the...

No, I just can't.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:45 PM   #216
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Pretty sure 'overlap' is offensive to the...

No, I just can't.
No, go on. Offensive to whom? Laplanders? Lap dancers? Beer-bellies or muffintops? I don't get it.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:48 PM   #217
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
No, go on. Offensive to whom? Laplanders? Lap dancers? Beer-bellies or muffintops? I don't get it.
Was going to run with cunnilingus enthusiasts, or svelte labia challenged, or...

This line of conversation is not helping my distinguished persona here at all.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:07 PM   #218
mgidm86
Philosopher

Was going to run with cunnilingus enthusiasts, or svelte labia challenged, or...

This line of conversation is not helping my distinguished persona here at all.

Eegads!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events