ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th October 2019, 04:03 AM   #41
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I have difficulty with it because it's a stupid design choice that will inconvenience a lot of people.
But they're the people who ride public transportation so they hardly matter.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:16 AM   #42
dann
Philosopher

This area is probably the one where you find the biggest (mental) difference between men and women, one that has been confirmed in tests:

Quote:
There’s been a fair amount of research done in the differences between how men and women navigate. Generally speaking, men are more adept at navigation in 3D environments than women. In fact, this ability marks one of the most significant gender differences in ability (...). Interestingly, it seems to point out a difference in the way men and women navigate. Men seem to have an inherent sense of bearings, an instinct of which way north lies. Women navigate more by landmarks. In tests of ability to navigate virtual 3D environments, there wasn’t a significant difference in success levels as long as landmarks were left in place, but when these were removed, men showed an ability to keep their bearings and had a significantly higher degree of success (...). This difference also shows when directions are given. Men tend to use cardinal directions (North, East, West and South) while women reference landmarks (...).
Human Hardware: Men, Women And How We Find Our Way (July 11, 2008)

In Cuba I've noticed that reading (understanding) a map isn't as natural a thing as I assumed it was. (Some) people there tend to be confused by maps because they aren't used to them, i.e. never learned to use them. And many of them seem to prefer to ask other people for directions because they enjoy communicating with strangers. Scandinavians tend to be at the opposite end of the spectrum!

By the way, I'm not sure how much of an "instinct" it is to know "which way north lies." When I get closer to the equator, e.g. Cuba, I lose that 'instinct' at noon!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 11th October 2019 at 07:21 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:01 PM   #43
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I have difficulty with it because it's a stupid design choice that will inconvenience a lot of people.

Stupid design because it has North at the top?

If you have difficulty with it you may have the "orientate to map so it coincides with my direction of travel" syndrome. I think you may be one of those who wants to turns a map in your hands around, and are in denial about it.

Given that our brains have the ability to turn the upside down image from our eyes the right way up, it's easy to imagine that some of our brains have the ability to turn a map around, without physically moving the map.
Old 11th October 2019, 02:11 PM   #44
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
This area is probably the one where you find the biggest (mental) difference between men and women, one that has been confirmed in tests:

In Cuba I've noticed that reading (understanding) a map isn't as natural a thing as I assumed it was. (Some) people there tend to be confused by maps because they aren't used to them, i.e. never learned to use them. And many of them seem to prefer to ask other people for directions because they enjoy communicating with strangers. Scandinavians tend to be at the opposite end of the spectrum!

By the way, I'm not sure how much of an "instinct" it is to know "which way north lies." When I get closer to the equator, e.g. Cuba, I lose that 'instinct' at noon!

Interesting read dann thank you. I think I recall reading about the evolution of mens and womens brains in different directions, as a result of different roles played by the sexes in our primitive past.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:37 PM   #45
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Stupid design because it has North at the top?

If you have difficulty with it you may have the "orientate to map so it coincides with my direction of travel" syndrome. I think you may be one of those who wants to turns a map in your hands around, and are in denial about it.

Given that our brains have the ability to turn the upside down image from our eyes the right way up, it's easy to imagine that some of our brains have the ability to turn a map around, without physically moving the map.
I think the "design" referred to was that of the stop/station, with you facing south as you look at a north-up map. I can see how that would be difficult to parse.
Old 11th October 2019, 05:26 PM   #46
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think the "design" referred to was that of the stop/station, with you facing south as you look at a north-up map. I can see how that would be difficult to parse.

Oh yes I get that but I can't see the difference between that and looking at a map in your lap with North at the top when you are heading South. I have no trouble with doing this.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:01 AM   #47
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I have no sense of direction and couldn't find my way out of a 2m tunnel with only one entrance! I can travel the same route a hundred times and still need my sat nav to tell me when to turn. And this isn't anything to do with relying on sat nav, as prior to such devices I was as bad. And yes I can read a map, use a compass and so on but I'd have to do it every single time I made the same trip. It doesn't help that I don't know my left from my right (I have to quickly use the mnemonic "I write with my right hand" and go as if I'm going to pick a pen up to write something to be able to know if something is right or left.)

I suspect it has something to do with my inability to visualise anything.
I have met people like you. Myself, I have a good sense of location and direction, but on occasion, it has fooled me. For instance, I seem to irretrievably have my Hong Kong
map upside down in my mind.
Hans
Old 13th October 2019, 05:30 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Oh yes I get that but I can't see the difference between that and looking at a map in your lap with North at the top when you are heading South. I have no trouble with doing this.
I also have no trouble with doing this but you and I both know that there are people in the world who do. I don't have to be unable to read a map in order to call out bad design.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology