ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cougars , cryptozoology

Old 12th September 2011, 10:41 AM   #321
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
No I am making the point that parcher couldn't make his point about cougars without getting in a dig at footers.

Sure I could have, but it was worth mentioning that the two Bigfoot believers in this thread are also "cougars in the East" believers. What makes those topics similar is that there isn't any functional evidence for Eastern cougars or Bigfoot. What you have are anecdotes.

The "dig" is that poor reasoning is at the foundation of both beliefs. Your beliefs are held in spite of there being no good evidence to support them. This forum exists as a place to discuss that situation.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:52 PM   #322
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Sure I could have, but it was worth mentioning that the two Bigfoot believers in this thread are also "cougars in the East" believers. What makes those topics similar is that there isn't any functional evidence for Eastern cougars or Bigfoot. What you have are anecdotes.

The "dig" is that poor reasoning is at the foundation of both beliefs. Your beliefs are held in spite of there being no good evidence to support them. This forum exists as a place to discuss that situation.
The tiresom epart comes from the the assumptions your side makes, Drew in particular seems fond of telling myself and others what we believe. Interesting that a psychic skeptic should exist.

For the record is the thread is dead for me, as it has stagnated into a pointless tit for tat for semantics so banter amongst yourself until someone says something interesting. This sin't intended as a retreat but as long as Drew insists on telling me what I believe and the like, discussion is pointless.

Last edited by mikeyx; 12th September 2011 at 12:55 PM.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2011, 06:55 AM   #323
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Cougar sighting verified in Upper Peninsula (Michigan)

Quote:
There is a cougar somewhere in or near Ontonagon County these days. And it's not what you'd call a camera-shy creature.

A video trail camera caught the cougar strolling through private property in the Upper Peninsula on Thursday. In the footage, the animal's ear tag and radio collar are clearly visible.
Old 14th September 2011, 07:37 AM   #324
mikeyx
Banned

So you finally admit you're wrong then. It's about time.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2011, 08:10 AM   #325
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So you finally admit you're wrong then. It's about time.
Actually, I'm right.

When a cougar really does show up in the East it is confirmed in a variety of linked ways: valid eyewitnesses, valid photo, valid tracks, valid scat and a valid carcass. Again, if native wild cougars really did inhabit the East, all of this would be happening all the time.
This one has an ear tag and radio collar. They do that for some cougars in the Dakotas population. It wandered over to the Michigan UP from the Badlands.

Got any confirmatory evidence for the ones you keep claiming are living in the East? The Connecticut ones and that breeding population in Upstate New York?
Old 14th September 2011, 08:11 AM   #326
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yay! Cougars are living in Michigan!

No... wait a minute...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2011, 08:29 AM   #327
Drewbot
Philosopher

MIKEYX, please read this. This is from Minnesota. It is clear as day.
Quote:
Many of the cougars confirmed in Minnesota have had captive origins. Released or escaped pets often cannot be distinguished from wild animals until they are killed or captured and then only if they have obvious indications of captivity (e.g., tattooed, de-clawed, or tame behavior). Some cougars have not had any apparent evidence of being in captivity and may have been truly wild. That may be the case with the car-killed cougar near Bemidji (September, 2009), though complete analysis has yet to be conducted.
The nearest known self-sustaining breeding population of cougars, estimated to number around 250, is in the Black Hills area of South Dakota (and to lesser extent, the North Dakota Badlands), several hundred miles from Minnesota. The only known population of cougars east of the Mississippi River is in Florida (i.e., the ‘Florida panther’), where perhaps 90 -100 wild animals continue to roam, In the mid-2000s, a cougar that was fitted with a radio collar in the Black Hills was later located with telemetry equipment on the Roseau River Wildlife Management Area in northwestern Minnesota. This animal was there for about seven weeks before disappearing. It is possible that additional animals dispersing from the Black Hills or other western areas enter Minnesota. Most animals confirmed in the Midwest in the past 15 years have been young males, the segment of a cougar population most likely to disperse in search of new territories. Once here, cougars are not restricted to territories by neighboring members of their species and therefore could move freely. While potential prey (e.g., deer) is abundant in Minnesota, dispersing cougars are not likely to stay in one area for long, instead continuing to search for suitable habitat with potential mates.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/cougar/index.html
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2011, 08:49 AM   #328
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
MIKEYX, please read this. This is from Minnesota. It is clear as day.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/cougar/index.html
Drewbot, he already admitted he was wrong, YOU latched on to Parcher's arguments to avoid embarrasment over clinging to the escaped pet argument, let Parcher have his moment of humility.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:10 AM   #329
The Shrike
Illuminator

Oh no . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2011, 11:56 AM   #330
Drewbot
Philosopher

Drewbot, he already admitted he was wrong, YOU latched on to Parcher's arguments to avoid embarrasment over clinging to the escaped pet argument, let Parcher have his moment of humility.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2011, 08:05 PM   #331
leonAzul
Illuminator

FFS, which part of administrative categorization for the purpose of the allocation of conservation resources versus the ongoing refinement of scientific taxonomy don't you understand?

"No man should have to clean up after another man's dog."
- Gerald Ford
leonAzul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2011, 04:33 AM   #332
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by leonAzul View Post
FFS, which part of administrative categorization for the purpose of the allocation of conservation resources versus the ongoing refinement of scientific taxonomy don't you understand?
Parcher = wrong, Drew = crappy psychic, this really isn't hard.

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rules 0/12.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 15th September 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 15th September 2011, 09:22 AM   #333
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Now reported that this same cougar was caught on trailcam twice previously while in Wisconsin. Yes, caught by three different trailcams in 7 weeks. That's kind of amazing. It is like there is a gauntlet or dragnet of trail cameras out there.

Quote:
The animal was captured by trail cameras twice as it moved through Wisconsin, according to Adrian Wydeven, wildlife biologist for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

The Wisconsin sightings were July 25 in northern Douglas County and Aug. 30 in northern Iron County, Wydeven said.

The cougar in all three photos has an ear tag and wears a radio collar. It is believed to have traveled from the western U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Route_of-_collared_cougar.jpg (45.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th September 2011, 10:12 AM   #334
Drewbot
Philosopher

One cougar travels 1000 miles, and is caught on camera three times in 7 weeks.
One cougar travels 1500 miles and is caught on camera several times, and get's hit by a car.

Conversely;

A whole population of cougars lives in UPSTATE NEW YORK, and we can't get a bead on them.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:29 PM   #335
mikeyx
Banned

Now reported that this same cougar was caught on trailcam twice previously while in Wisconsin. Yes, caught by three different trailcams in 7 weeks. That's kind of amazing. It is like there is a gauntlet or dragnet of trail cameras out there.
backpedaling won't help you Parcher.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:31 PM   #336
mikeyx
Banned

One cougar travels 1000 miles, and is caught on camera three times in 7 weeks.
One cougar travels 1500 miles and is caught on camera several times, and get's hit by a car.

Conversely;

A whole population of cougars lives in UPSTATE NEW YORK, and we can't get a bead on them.
says who Mister literalist? I've only said I've seen one there, and dont recall saying it absolutely had to be native.

You seem to want to put words into people's mouths to make your case.

You don't help yourself, Ranger Garfunkle.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:33 PM   #337
DennyT
Illuminator

this cougar is a bigfoot pet; he travels in advance of bigfoot and warns him where the trailcams are. Since there are bigfoots in New York, there must be bigfoot pets. Ergo and QED. So there. Drew, who should I bet on this weekend, AZ or Stanford?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2011, 01:42 PM   #338
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Eastern Cougars and "panthers" have long been a topic of skepticism. You can find discussions about them here on JREF and on cryptozoology sites and forums. The article is significant because the government is officially saying no.
And we all know the gov't is never wrong.

All hail Bigfoot and other misunderstood critters!
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2011, 04:19 AM   #339
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
So there. Drew, who should I bet on this weekend, AZ or Stanford?
Yes.
Old 16th September 2011, 09:50 AM   #340
leonAzul
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
this cougar is a bigfoot pet; he travels in advance of bigfoot and warns him where the trailcams are. Since there are bigfoots in New York, there must be bigfoot pets. Ergo and QED. So there. Drew, who should I bet on this weekend, AZ or Stanford?
Yes.
Jiminy Cricket, you guys need to warn a fellow to keep a coffee mug away from his face while reading this thread.

"No man should have to clean up after another man's dog."
- Gerald Ford
leonAzul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2011, 03:53 PM   #341
GeeMack
Banned

Only because this showed up in my local news...

I did see a cougar in the far north western corner of Illinois in the early 1980s, one which was eventually confirmed by several other witnesses. But this single unconfirmed sighting by a lone witness? I'll pay attention to any further reports that might come from this, but I doubt it'll turn into anything.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:46 PM   #342
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

More on this cougar...

Quote:
The three sightings of a single animal reveal something about the number of cougars and the number of cameras, he said.

"It tells me there must be a whole lot of these cameras out in the woods for this to show up three times. If there were more cougars, they would be showing up, too," Adrian Wydeven, a wildlife biologist for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources said. "It's getting to be an animal can't sneak around at all in the woods any more without having its picture taken."

With apparently hundreds maybe thousands of trail cameras out there snapping photos, this is only the second confirmed cougar in the past two years. That tells Wydeven there are not a lot of the big cats roaming the Northland...

Wydeven said the collar on the latest cougar clearly showing in the Iron County game trail camera photograph at first confused him because it was unlike most new radio or GPS signal collars used by natural resource agencies to track animals. But, after checking with cohorts in other states, Wydeven said it appears South Dakota has used some small radio-transmitter collars that look like the one on the cougar.
Yeah. A dragnet of trail cameras.
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:33 AM   #343
Drewbot
Philosopher

Oh my, PARCHER, this is not good for Bigfooters.
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:38 AM   #344
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Oh my, PARCHER, this is not good for Bigfooters.
The idea that bigfoot can detect and avoid game cameras is already well established in bigfootery.

They will take this in stride.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:41 AM   #345
The Shrike
Illuminator

I suppose one could counter that these cougars get hungry and are simply tracking deer to feeding stations where they're very likely to be captured on a game camera. Bigfoots, of course, are smart enough to stay away from the camera traps (except the Jacobs creature, that is).
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:04 AM   #346
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The idea that bigfoot can detect and avoid game cameras is already well established in bigfootery.

They will take this in stride.
Yes, however, the sheer number of Game Cams means that if a Bigfoot avoids one, it is bound to accidentally walk into another one.

Or one that is chasing a deer, and not on GAME CAM alert, is going to blunder into one.

Or one that is trying to find a mate, and out of it's mind with Romance, is going to scamper through a cam's range.

I can guarantee you, that if one did wander into a camera's range, it is not going to know enough to go and dismantle the camera, as often happens in Bigfoot related stories.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:10 AM   #347
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, however, the sheer number of Game Cams means that if a Bigfoot avoids one, it is bound to accidentally walk into another one.

Or one that is chasing a deer, and not on GAME CAM alert, is going to blunder into one.

Or one that is trying to find a mate, and out of it's mind with Romance, is going to scamper through a cam's range.

I can guarantee you, that if one did wander into a camera's range, it is not going to know enough to go and dismantle the camera, as often happens in Bigfoot related stories.
Their footprints and trackways indicate that they never do any of those things.

They only walk glumly from point A to point B. Without arriving at point A, or leaving point B. They never do anything interesting on the way, like skip, or dance, or stub a toe, etc.

A point I have made a time or two before...

Old 23rd September 2011, 08:59 AM   #348
Drewbot
Philosopher

How do you explain the hunter sighting of the Deer AMBUSH?
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:09 AM   #349
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

How do you explain the hunter sighting of the Deer AMBUSH?
Same way I explain the Sabine river pig ambush...

Old 26th September 2011, 06:26 AM   #350
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tylervo View Post
Parcher's point stands: where cougars live around people, cougars wind up dead. They also poop and leave footprints.

Meantime, that lady that does the news in CT is totally into me . . .
Dude! Now you're doing it to me. Get some original material for crying out loud.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:58 AM   #351
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Dude! Now you're doing it to me. Get some original material for crying out loud.
I knew the 'she's into me' line was yours, I just didn't want to search it out and prove it.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:47 AM   #352
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Why is this dude plagiarizing posts?

Old 25th October 2011, 06:58 AM   #353
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Cougar confirmed by trailcam in Juneau County, Wisconsin.

Quote:
State Department of Natural Resources biologists Jon Robaidek and Adrian Wydeven visited Dennis Dodge Friday after they learned of the photo and attempted to match vegetation and other landmarks at the site to the photo.

It didn't take long to determine that Dodge's picture was the real deal.

"This was the same exact location," Wydeven said Friday afternoon. "So five days ago there was a cougar right at that site."...

The Juneau County cougar, Wydeven said, is likely a roaming male, though he couldn't confirm the animal's sex from the photo.

"There have not been any female cougars detected anywhere east of the Dakotas," Wydeven said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4ea2070f3e2c2.image.jpg (106.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 25th October 2011, 08:35 AM   #354
The Shrike
Illuminator

OK that cat looks like he could take me. Time to get those bounties re-issued.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:39 AM   #355
River
Illuminator

That is a rather healthy looking cougar. Beautiful.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2011, 04:15 PM   #356
Drewbot
Philosopher

I would bet it is either an escaped pet, or an Eastern Cougar that has wandered westward out of the Appalachians.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:18 PM   #357
mikeyx
Banned

I would bet it is either an escaped pet, or an Eastern Cougar that has wandered westward out of the Appalachians.
as you always do, yawnsville.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:21 PM   #358
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Wandering Nittany Lion looking for a quarterback...

Old 25th October 2011, 04:24 PM   #359
Drewbot
Philosopher

as you always do, yawnsville.
Actually, read it again, I have never said that before. Mockery is not the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:46 PM   #360
mikeyx
Banned

Actually, read it again, I have never said that before. Mockery is not the sincerest form of flattery.
please.......... EVERY cougar is an escaped pet to you. stop lying.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal