ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th January 2018, 03:05 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Pharmacists: Hang Your Heads in Shame!

It has long seemed to me that pharmacists must carry much of the blame for the proliferation of non-scientific, pseudo-medical products and services.

Every pharamacy I even deal with sells enormous amounts of products that clash violently with the idea of the science-based medicine they're actually there to dispense.

This week, I've been dealing with a woman who was employed by a pharmacy as the homeopathic remedy salesperson. One of her causes for concern is that other people are selling homeopathic remedies without checking with her first, and that could be dangerous for people!

The struggle to tell her that you could safely prescribe the entire stock to someone and guarantee no side-effects apart from the volume just about had me rupturing myself.

Yet, in the cold light of science and reason, the owners of the pharmacy are simply selling out for the money, despite the fact that their own training tells them this stuff is bollocks.

To my mind, if we want to make progress in combating the myth of alternative medicine, the first step needs to be from pharmacists, who taint the entire scientific medical community in pursuit of a few extra dollars.
Old 17th January 2018, 03:11 PM   #2
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Where there is demand there will always be supply. Are doctors prescribing homeopathic "medication"? Or do the pharmacies keep it in supply because idiotic customers request/purchase it. Either way, a homeopathic remedy salesperson must be the easiest occupation in the world.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 03:34 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Pharmacies aren't there to dispense science-based medicine.

They're there to dispense whatever medicine people want. They dispense a lot of science-based medicine because it turns out a lot of people want that. But not everyone. Some people want something else. And pharmacies are there for them, too.

Yes, pharmacies are complicit in some of the woo that pervades their societies. But they're pretty far down my list of people to hold responsible for woo.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 03:39 PM   #4
p0lka
Muse

Every time I go to pick up a prescription, I scour the shelves just to find a woo product to complain about but I never find any. I need to live where you lot live.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 03:51 PM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This week, I've been dealing with a woman who was employed by a pharmacy as the homeopathic remedy salesperson.
But she is not a pharmacist. Your thread title attacks pharmacists.

In America, none of the prescription medications sold by pharmacists are homeopathic.

The pharmacist may not own the pharmacy. The owner may want homeopathics sold there even if the pharmacist would not want that.
Old 17th January 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Every time I go to pick up a prescription, I scour the shelves just to find a woo product to complain about but I never find any. I need to live where you lot live.
Australia, apparently. Or is it New Zealand? Either way, it seems those Kiwis are a pile of superstitious gits.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 03:55 PM   #7
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

In America, none of the prescription medications sold by pharmacists are homeopathic.

The pharmacist may not own the pharmacy. The owner may want homeopathics sold there even if the pharmacist would not want that.
Yep. They usually just work there. My nearest pharmacy also sells Lego, princess costumes, and vinyl records.

However, there's a few pharmacist-owned pharmacies around, and I think it might be appropriate to direct criticism at them. One of the nationally known Canadian skeptics is a pharmacist, he is frequently criticizing his peers over exactly this. Scott Gavura. He and a couple of colleagues run a blog: [science-based pharmacy]
Old 17th January 2018, 03:56 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a win-win proposition for the owner.

"This side of the store is where we make money off all the people who want scientific medicine... And this side of the store is where we make money off all the people who want homeopathic tea."
Old 17th January 2018, 04:56 PM   #9
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

This week, I've been dealing with a woman who was employed by a pharmacy as the homeopathic remedy salesperson. One of her causes for concern is that other people are selling homeopathic remedies without checking with her first, and that could be dangerous for people!

The struggle to tell her that you could safely prescribe the entire stock to someone and guarantee no side-effects apart from the volume just about had me rupturing myself.
I would preach caution here.

It has recently come to my attention that some products which are sold as "homeophathic" actually do contain ingredients, and in some cases, quite dangerous ingredients.

Unless you live somewhere where the term "homeopathic" is strictly controlled I don't think you can rely on the products having no ingredients.
Old 17th January 2018, 04:56 PM   #10
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's a win-win proposition for the owner.

"This side of the store is where we make money off all the people who want scientific medicine... And this side of the store is where we make money off all the people who want homeopathic tea."
I recall a show called Grace Under Fire where Dave Thomas' character ([Doug McKenzie] Dave Thomas - not the Wendy's Dave Thomas) is a pharmacist that refers to his altmed aisle as "the profit center."
Old 17th January 2018, 05:02 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Are you in the US or UK? If it's the US look for Coldeeze, Zicam, or Emergen-C.
Old 17th January 2018, 05:40 PM   #12
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'd even throw 'daily multivitamins' in as examples.
Old 17th January 2018, 06:37 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's not the actual pharmacists, of course, but their employers. Who care at a homeopathic level whether a product is actually useful as long as they make a buck.

Note this quote from the OP:
Quote:
Salesperson =/= Pharmacist.
Oh, and in the USA, labeling laws are so weak that you can call any damn thing "homeopathic" and get away with it. Zicam has a 1X concentration of one zinc compound and 1C of another. That's 10% and 1%, respectively.
Old 17th January 2018, 06:44 PM   #14
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

It has recently come to my attention that some products which are sold as "homeophathic" actually do contain ingredients, and in some cases, quite dangerous ingredients.

Unless you live somewhere where the term "homeopathic" is strictly controlled I don't think you can rely on the products having no ingredients.
I think the ratio is typically something like 3 parts of "active ingredient" per billion, whether it's citric acid or arsenic. It's virtually just water. That's what's so stupid about it.
Old 17th January 2018, 06:46 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh, and in the USA, labeling laws are so weak that you can call any damn thing "homeopathic" and get away with it.
That explains why I was able to buy some homeopathic carrots. They looked good but were pretty much flavorless.
Old 17th January 2018, 07:19 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They are, after all, carrots.
Old 17th January 2018, 07:43 PM   #17
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

It has long seemed to me that pharmacists must carry much of the blame for the proliferation of non-scientific, pseudo-medical products and services.

Once several years ago, I took a homeopathic product off the shelf in a Walgreens and asked the pharmacist about it. He flat out told me it was worthless. So, be kind of careful with the word "pharmacy." In the US, the pharmacy with its professional pharmacist is a separate entity inside the "pharmacy" or, I guess, sundries shop.

Besides, whatever homeopathic crap they're selling barely rates next to their sale of cigarettes. Focus on that.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 07:55 PM   #18
Carlotta
Thinker

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Once several years ago, I took a homeopathic product off the shelf in a Walgreens and asked the pharmacist about it. He flat out told me it was worthless. So, be kind of careful with the word "pharmacy." In the US, the pharmacy with its professional pharmacist is a separate entity inside the "pharmacy" or, I guess, sundries shop.

Besides, whatever homeopathic crap they're selling barely rates next to their sale of cigarettes. Focus on that.
I'm happy to say my usual pharmacy stopped selling tobacco product a couple few years ago!! Still have a few bogus remedies, though.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 10:40 PM   #19
Apathia
Illuminator

This is correct. "homeopathic" in marketing is often used as an umbrella term that includes herbals, naturopathics, and homeopathics proper.
The item may contain active ingredients in efficacious proportions.

And I've seen some very questionable ingredients that really ought not to be available without at least a doctor's permission.

The last place I worked at as a pharmacy tech was a supermarket (Kroger).
There were lots of over the counter items as supplements and so-called "natural remedies." The pharmacist had no say in what was on the store shelves, not even the regional store pharmacy coordinator. If there's a demand for such a stupid product as Airborn," the store carries it.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:02 AM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I was looking for zinc lozenges last fall when I had a URI (some evidence, not conclusive and not harmful before anyone gives me grief about zinc for a cold). I didn't see the homeopathy label on Zicam and took it up to the pharmacist to ask what 1X translated to in milligrams. He said there is no way to know what is in the stuff because it was homeopathy.

I blame Walgreen's and Bartell's for selling the stuff but the pharmacists don't seem to be doing much to educate their employers.
Old 18th January 2018, 01:47 AM   #21
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Some positive news from Australia. Health Insurance Funds included "natural" remedies amongst services they funded. A lot of them have been dropped from their schedules. They still fund marginal treatments like chiropracty, but some progress at least.

More relevant to the OP, Blackmores is a huge "supplement" provider, with homeopathic treatments galore. They take up massive shelf space in our pharmacies.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 01:54 AM   #22
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Where there is demand there will always be supply. Are doctors prescribing homeopathic "medication"? Or do the pharmacies keep it in supply because idiotic customers request/purchase it.
I'm 100% confident it's demand driven - they are catering to morons who buy it.

I don't believe that's a reasonable stance for a health professional to take.

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Either way, a homeopathic remedy salesperson must be the easiest occupation in the world.
In a tie with colour healing.

The person who employed her is.

That's good, but do any of their shops sell them?

In NZ, they do, with few exceptions and this isn't one of them.

They haven't ever sold them in NZ. Also, cigarettes aren't in any way unscientific - they work fine, as life expectancy of smokers shows quite neatly.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:03 AM   #23
smartcooky
Philosopher

By Law, all pharmacies in New Zealand must be owned by pharmacists

http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/r...ip-and-control

Quote:
Company ownership

This is the most common form of pharmacy ownership. The majority of the share capital must be owned by an individual pharmacist or pharmacists. This pharmacist or these pharmacists must have effective control of the company at all times. For example, this may be reflected by the classes of shares held (if applicable), the ability to appoint directors to the board and the ability to control the board of directors to the board..

As companies and trusts cannot be defined as a pharmacist (even if they are wholly owned by pharmacists) they are not able to hold the majority of the shares of a company. Company structures where a part of the majority pharmacist shareholding is held by a company or trust, are not compliant and will not be granted a licence.

The Licensing Authority may require further information from the applicant to ensure that effective control is vested with the pharmacist(s). Company documents including company constitutions, shareholders agreements and details of the distribution of classes of shares (usually voting or non-voting rights) among the shareholders may be requested.
I personally have never seen a pharmacy in NZ selling any kind of tobacco products. They generally sell only "over the counter" medicines, prescription medicines (with a scrip of course) as well as cosmetics, shampoos, soaps, body lotions, sun-screens, personal hygiene products and cosmetics. Some also sell sunglasses and sun-hats.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 18th January 2018 at 04:08 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 06:07 AM   #24
kali1137
Muse

I always wonder why people are so quick to attack the selling of cigarettes but not that they sell alcohol.

Anyway, at least in my part of the USA, the mass majority of pharmacies are not pharmacist owned. Only a small handful of mom and pop shops are still pharmacist owned. From the sounds of it, it you ask the pharmacist about something from the "profit isle", they tell you it's rubbish. I still feel that the fault lies in laziness of people to not educate themselves on these things and just take a commercial as gospel.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 08:52 AM   #25
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
The pharmacy stores in my area also sell board games for kids that kids will not enjoy, makeup products that will not make anyone using them more beautiful, greeting cards that belittle rather than celebrate the recipient and/or the intended occasion of the greeting, magazines full of recipes that few buyers will actually attempt and for those few will not come out looking like the picture on the cover, lottery tickets that deepen buyers' impoverishment, and snacks and soft drinks that will enhance rather than ameliorate ones craving for snacks and soft drinks.

Most of the many shortcomings of our health systems arise ultimately from being components of a consumerist society that expects happiness and health to be things that are for sale.
Old 18th January 2018, 08:53 AM   #26
Belz...
Fiend God

I probably couldn't have helped but speak out.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 08:54 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Pharmacies aren't there to dispense science-based medicine.

They're there to dispense whatever medicine people want.
Yes but most people expect pharmacies to sell stuff that works. A pharmacy selling homeopathic products gives an impression of legitimacy.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 09:43 AM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the pharmacist is selling the homeopathics as a way of generating extra income to put his kids through college. But homeopathy is a scam and he should make extra money in other ways. He could just double the prices of his prescription medications. That would work.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:49 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe the pharmacist is selling the homeopathics as a way of generating extra income to put his kids through college. But homeopathy is a scam and he should make extra money in other ways. He could just double the prices of his prescription medications. That would work.
I don't know about your neck of the woods but up here pharmacists don't need extra income.

Old 18th January 2018, 09:52 AM   #30
CORed
Philosopher

In the US, "homeopathic" remedies are exempt from a lot of regulatory requirements, so a lot of stuff that isn't really homeopathic (i.e contains no significant amount of anything but sugar or water) are labeled as homeopathic.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 09:56 AM   #31
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't know about your neck of the woods but up here pharmacists don't need extra income.
We should always judge what others feel they need or don't need or want or don't want. It's human nature to do that.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:58 AM   #32
Belz...
Fiend God

We should always judge what others feel they need or don't need or want or don't want. It's human nature to do that.
Yes, I'm just saying that he can send eight kids to college on his basic salary, plus get a boat.

Old 18th January 2018, 10:02 AM   #33
Worm
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
a lot of stuff that isn't really homeopathic (i.e contains no significant amount of anything but sugar or water) are labeled as homeopathic.
Is there a difference?

'contains no significant amount of anything but sugar or water' is practically a working definition of homeopathic preparations.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 10:07 AM   #34
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I was looking for zinc lozenges last fall when I had a URI (some evidence, not conclusive and not harmful before anyone gives me grief about zinc for a cold). I didn't see the homeopathy label on Zicam and took it up to the pharmacist to ask what 1X translated to in milligrams. He said there is no way to know what is in the stuff because it was homeopathy.

I blame Walgreen's and Bartell's for selling the stuff but the pharmacists don't seem to be doing much to educate their employers.
According to the rules of homeopathy, 1X means 10%. Which is far from what's usually considered homeopathic. Zicam's nasal spray had to be removed from the market because it contained so much zinc people were permanently losing their sense of smell.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
By Law, all pharmacies in New Zealand must be owned by pharmacists

http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/r...ip-and-control

I personally have never seen a pharmacy in NZ selling any kind of tobacco products. They generally sell only "over the counter" medicines, prescription medicines (with a scrip of course) as well as cosmetics, shampoos, soaps, body lotions, sun-screens, personal hygiene products and cosmetics. Some also sell sunglasses and sun-hats.
Most here in the USA are owned by large corporations. If they can make a buck selling fake medicine, booze, and tobacco, they will.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:17 AM   #35
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, I'm just saying that he can send eight kids to college on his basic salary, plus get a boat.
You will ultimately be correct even if it means community college and a 16 foot outboard.

I'm curious what his salary actually is. You must know because you don't guesstimate.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:26 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

You will ultimately be correct even if it means community college and a 16 foot outboard.

I'm curious what his salary actually is. You must know because you don't guesstimate.
I don't know exactly what she makes as I don't usually ask friend's wives their salary, but I know just by moving to another town her hourly wage increased by 12 dollars. I might've exaggerated with the 8 kids but you get the picture.

Old 18th January 2018, 10:30 AM   #37
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Is there a difference?

'contains no significant amount of anything but sugar or water' is practically a working definition of homeopathic preparations.
I think he means that some actually contain measureable amounts of active ingredients...i.e.-Zircam.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 10:37 AM   #38
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
According to the rules of homeopathy, 1X means 10%. Which is far from what's usually considered homeopathic. Zicam's nasal spray had to be removed from the market because it contained so much zinc people were permanently losing their sense of smell.

Most here in the USA are owned by large corporations. If they can make a buck selling fake medicine, booze, and tobacco, they will.
CVS quit selling tobacco at least.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 10:41 AM   #39
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

What am I missing? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8678384
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 10:50 AM   #40
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The homeopathic labeling on Zicam means it has a much lower standard of regulation than things actually sold as medicine, even though it has actual active ingredients.

When it was first released, it was found to have high enough levels of zinc to cause damage to the nasal passages, possibly including loss of the sense of smell:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765727/
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Coldand...ory?id=7853178
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/n...ays-loss-smell
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal