ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags australian skeptics , Barry Williams , obituaries , skeptics

Old 22nd January 2018, 10:28 AM   #1
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Barry Williams of Australian Skeptics has passed away

Barry Williams (Australian Skeptics cofounder, and then president of for over a decade) passed away on Saturday.

URL: [Barry Williams]
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:30 PM   #2
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

It's pretty funny The International Skeptics Forum doesn't have much to say about the death of an apparent 'international skeptic'. There's just too darn many of 'em. Was he too skeptical of skeptic sites to post anything skeptical here? Like when they said that pool would take 10,000 gallons of water, Barry was very skeptical. He knew it was gonna be more like 10,900. And it was. Or that other time when he and his brothers Daryl and Daryl tawt they taw a puddy tat. Once again he was the skeptical one and he wasn't buying it. And of course the puddy tat turned out to be a snake. Always the skeptic. RIP Barry "Skep" Williams.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 22nd January 2018 at 07:31 PM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 03:57 AM   #3
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
It's pretty funny The International Skeptics Forum doesn't have much to say about the death of an apparent 'international skeptic'.
What is there to say? I did not know him, but I always find it tragic when a voice of reason goes silent.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 04:52 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Oh very sad news. I met Barry more than once, was a member of the Aussie Skeptics for many years (and have just realised that i have let my membership lapse), and their website, for good or bad, led me here.

Not only was he a passionate, influential skeptic, but a hell of a nice bloke. RIP.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:09 AM   #5
carlitos
"más divertido"

I don't know how "funny" it is, but it's entirely possible that folks were thinking of a different Barry Williams when they saw the news.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:17 PM   #6
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I never heard of him, but RIP. I'm glad he was out there fighting.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I never heard of him, but RIP. I'm glad he was out there fighting.
Agreed.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 05:27 PM   #8
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Agreed.
I think I've known Barry for almost 30 years. While this was not unexpected (he was having health problems and passed away from complications during surgery), it's still a drag to lose one of the pioneers.

Barry was able to secure a $1M bequeathment back in the 1980s for Australian Skeptics, which helped them become financially independent.

He also worked with James Randi to funnel candidates for the MDC. I don't know Randi that well, but I'm worried he may be taking it hard, too.

Barry was especially proud of his beard. He volunteered to participate in fundraisers dressed up as Santa every year, because it made kids so excited.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal