ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi , Lockerbie bombing , Scotland cases

Old 22nd January 2015, 11:23 PM   #1
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Lockerbie: High Court Review

As reported on the BBC

Quote:
A High Court judge is to be asked if members of the families of some of the victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing can launch an appeal on behalf of the only man convicted of the atrocity. [...]

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) wants the court to rule whether it is allowed to investigate the Lockerbie case again, on behalf of members of victims' families.

Fingers crossed this time around the families get their wish and a full appeal goes ahead.
Ambrosia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:33 AM   #2
Jango
Graduate Poster

What's the conspiracy?
Jango is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Good question. I expect this thread will be moved into Social Issues and Current Events momentarily.

Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I expect this thread will be moved into Social Issues and Current Events momentarily.

I won't hold my breath if it's all the same

Jango - there are several very long threads in the CT section here regarding Lockerbie.

the very condensed version is that the evidence points to the bomb being put on the plane at Heathrow not Malta, and that Megrahi wasn't the bomber.

There's a pile of weird stuff, the biggest oddity is the fragment of timer which the prosecution claim ties Libya to the bomb. Most of the evidence seems to point to Syrian Terrorists who were getting revenge for the Vincennes Gulf shootdown.

Have a read through some of the other threads if you want more detail.

If you want still more background there are half a dozen films on youtube and 10 or more books written about it now too.
Ambrosia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:22 PM   #5
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post

Jango - there are several very long threads in the CT section here regarding Lockerbie.

the very condensed version is that the evidence points to the bomb being put on the plane at Heathrow not Malta, and that Megrahi wasn't the bomber.

There's a pile of weird stuff, the biggest oddity is the fragment of timer which the prosecution claim ties Libya to the bomb. Most of the evidence seems to point to Syrian Terrorists who were getting revenge for the Vincennes Gulf shootdown.

If you want still more background there are half a dozen films on youtube and 10 or more books written about it now too.
Including one by our very own forum member Rolfe.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 04:31 PM   #6
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Including one by our very own forum member Rolfe.
...who was also interviewed by Al Jazeera regarding her work on analyzing the case.

In response to the Conspiracy question, if one exists it would be to implicate Megrahi and hence Libya for geopolitical reasons. The alternative is some sort of investigative incompetence by authorities.
Old 23rd January 2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jango View Post
What's the conspiracy?
Obama blew up the plane using the death ray feature on his time machine in order to promote Obamacare.
Old 24th January 2015, 01:53 AM   #8
Jango
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Obama blew up the plane using the death ray feature on his time machine in order to promote Obamacare.
That just became a reality in some alternate universe. It explains his gray hair in this one.
Jango is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 01:55 AM   #9
Jango
Graduate Poster

An Arab/Islamic whodunit mystery is what I've gathered.
Old 24th January 2015, 02:00 AM   #10
anglolawyer
Banned

Interesting development. Hopefully, Rolfe will drop by to tell us more about it.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 03:11 AM   #11
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Interesting development. Hopefully, Rolfe will drop by to tell us more about it.
That would be great. Her book is still on my Amazon wish list and it's my birthday next week - I just hope someone notices.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 03:12 AM   #12
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
That would be great. Her book is still on my Amazon wish list and it's my birthday next week - I just hope someone notices.
I have my copy already.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 06:02 AM   #13
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
...who was also interviewed by Al Jazeera regarding her work on analyzing the case.

In response to the Conspiracy question, if one exists it would be to implicate Megrahi and hence Libya for geopolitical reasons. The alternative is some sort of investigative incompetence by authorities.
There's a third alternative: that the British investigators didn't like the idea one bit that security at Heathrow would have been so lax that the bomb suitcase had been smuggled onboard there.

ETA: moreover, all threads which discussed the details of the case have been in the Conspiracy section. Rolfe has complained various times about that. But I guess that's been the thinking of the OP of starting the thread in this section.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 24th January 2015 at 06:05 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 06:14 AM   #14
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
I have my copy already.
Whoosh!

He wants you to buy it for him!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 06:15 AM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

As reported on the BBC

Fingers crossed this time around the families get their wish and a full appeal goes ahead.

Just out of interest, did you start this thread in the CT section or did the mods move it here?

It doesn't currently fit the CT mould as far as I can see.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2015, 06:54 AM   #16
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Just out of interest, did you start this thread in the CT section or did the mods move it here?

It doesn't currently fit the CT mould as far as I can see.
I started this thread here as historically any thread about Lockerbie has been in, or ended up in, the CT subforum. If it's more appropriate for another subforum and gets moved that's fine with me.

If the High Court decides the appeal should go ahead then Current Events would be an appropriate place for a thread about that.

I suspect that this latest hearing will result in no new appeal, because sleeping dogs. Or something like that. I'd like to think that justice will be done and eventually we can find out who did bomb the plane.
Old 24th January 2015, 03:25 PM   #17
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to think that justice will be done and eventually we can find out who did bomb the plane.
If they conclude it was Megrahi would you be satisfied with the verdict?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2015, 06:15 AM   #18
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If they conclude it was Megrahi would you be satisfied with the verdict?
It depends on the evidence.

there are a *lot* of problems and contradictions and holes in the existing evidence used to convict him.

There would need to be new evidence that can show Megrahi was part of a bomb plot.

there would also need to be evidence that explains how the bomb was put onto the aircraft at Heathrow by the plot that Megrahi was a part of. He himself was in Malta that day, so if Megrahi was shown to be the guy that put the bomb on the plane, there would need to be evidence showing how the London origin theory is incorrect and Malta was the place of origin.

I have always stated since I first started potsing in Lockerbie threads some years back.

If Megrahi is the(a) bomber of PA103 - then show me the evidence that proves it.

To date noone has done that. The SCCRC reviewed the evidence in detail some years ago [their full report is here(newspaper summary here)] and came to the conclusion that the conviction is flawed and a miscarriage of justice is likely to have taken place.

He was convicted in 2001 via a special no jury court, his first appeal was thrown out via a legal technicality, the UN observer at the trial has always maintained it was a politically motivated show trial.

It's not the wild speculations of some random people on a forum JAQing off, some serious people have serious misgivings about the verdict, based on the evidence.

I remain cynical that the new appeal will go ahead, I think it's still too big a can of worms and they'll shy away from opening it.

They really should and I hope that they do.
Old 26th January 2015, 04:39 PM   #19
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

There is a thread in SI&CE which is relevant to this, but I was reluctant to bump it because I thought perhaps nobody was interested and I'd just end up talking to myself.

I'm sick of discussing the legal and non-conspiratorial aspects of this case in the cessipt beside chemtrails, moon hoaxers and grassy knoll enthusiasts, to be honest. If I bump the SI&CE thread, will you guys come over there. This is no more a conspiracy than any other legal case that's under challenge.
Old 26th January 2015, 04:49 PM   #20
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
There is a thread in SI&CE which is relevant to this, but I was reluctant to bump it because I thought perhaps nobody was interested and I'd just end up talking to myself.

I'm sick of discussing the legal and non-conspiratorial aspects of this case in the cessipt beside chemtrails, moon hoaxers and grassy knoll enthusiasts, to be honest. If I bump the SI&CE thread, will you guys come over there. This is no more a conspiracy than any other legal case that's under challenge.
I will.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:38 PM   #21
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

OK, I bumped the other thread. Well actually LSSBB did it while I was writing a more detailed post.

That's the proper place to discuss this anyway. The "High Court Review" mentioned by Ambrosia in the OP is a purely procedural issue which has been raised by the way the SCCRC are handling the new appeal application, and the other thread is specifically about the appeal application.

I've been toying with bumping the other thread for a while, but I was genuinely concerned that nobody was interested and I'd just end up talking to myself. I'm not intending to respond further in this thread.
Old 26th January 2015, 10:10 PM   #22
anglolawyer
Banned

May I ask for a link? Sorry to be a pest but I am useless at navigating this forum. I mostly find new corners of it by accident.
Old 26th January 2015, 10:36 PM   #23
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

other thread is over here
Old 27th January 2015, 10:14 AM   #24
anglolawyer
Banned

Thank you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories