ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Steve Bannon , Trump administration

Old 18th August 2017, 12:10 PM   #81
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
You thought wrong.
Hitler had an ideology. He actually stood up for his convictions.
No one ever accused Trump of having convictions, let alone standing up for any.
Would be nice if he had one soon - for, say, 20 to life!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 12:11 PM   #82
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Clearly I am enjoying this thread way too much - so I am going off to play in some others!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 12:25 PM   #83
zorro99
Muse

Maybe Soros paid off Bannon
Old 18th August 2017, 12:29 PM   #84
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Mercer is richer than Soros.
Old 18th August 2017, 12:30 PM   #85
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3273.JPG (24.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 18th August 2017, 12:33 PM   #86
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I can imagine that somebody writes something saying that Trump resigns as president and he signs it without reading it.

LOL
If his name is on it he'll read it. Or will he? Maybe all he sees/hears is "blah blah blah TRUMP blah blah blah blah blah TRUMP."
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 12:35 PM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I do think he has a perception of self, and identity, though.

When I read Bannon's interview transcript, and saw him calling white nationalists 'clowns,' the first thing that ran through my head is, "He just insulted the president. What's trump going to do when it's about something so important to his core identity?"

Apparently, he fires the guy.

"You can't insult my tribe and expect to get away with it."
A number of sources are saying that it was Bannon's statements on North Korea that got him the boot.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 12:36 PM   #88
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ben Shapiro, who worked for Breibart but left it when he did not like the way it was going just tweeted:

"Bannon understands the Game of Thrones. Joffrey just beheaded him. So his new plan is to become the Winter King".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 12:43 PM   #89
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

When I read Bannon's interview transcript, and saw him calling white nationalists 'clowns,' the first thing that ran through my head is, "He just insulted the president. ..."
I don't think that Trump is a white nationalist. This would require forming a somewhat coherent narrative. He is incapable of that.
And also, his history does not suggest this.

He is, of course, a racist. Of the garden variety - unreflected, unconscious, unideological. And a sexist, and classist, very probably an ageist, etc.
And of course he loves White Supremacists back when they love him.
But there is no ideological bone in his body.
Old 18th August 2017, 12:49 PM   #90
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A number of sources are saying that it was Bannon's statements on North Korea that got him the boot.....
Which, in Trump's defense, makes sense.
Undermining diplomatic/military strategy regarding a belligerent nuclear power is pretty serious.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:01 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Which, in Trump's defense, makes sense.
Undermining diplomatic/military strategy regarding a belligerent nuclear power is pretty serious.
Nope it was because Bannon admitted the obvious;There is no military option in Korea.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:22 PM   #92
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Nope it was because Bannon admitted the obvious;There is no military option in Korea.
Yes, what I mean is:

Most diplomacy is game theory, and game theory model depends on actors not knowing what the opponent's concluded their scope of responses are.

Bannon appears to have exposed the USA's degrees of freedom, which undermines the American position in a very serious diplomatic situation.

There's no viable military option in North Korea, but there was no viable military option in Iraq either. The unknown for North Korea is whether the USA was willing to gamble the lives of non-American collateral damage for domestic political gains, and it sounds like Bannon is confirming 'no'. That's valuable information.

Last edited by blutoski; 18th August 2017 at 01:25 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 01:37 PM   #93
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Man, there's a lot of turnover among the best people.
Fine-tuned machine
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 01:40 PM   #94
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Patience, you guys.

It took Nixon about 6 years to get in as much trouble as he did. Trump hasn't had a year yet.
Old 18th August 2017, 03:09 PM   #95
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Patience, you guys.

It took Nixon about 6 years to get in as much trouble as he did. Trump hasn't had a year yet.
No, it took 6 years for Nixon did caught. He was a sleaze ball when he ran for Congress. He was up to his eyeballs in crap when he was VP. Remember the Checkers speech? Which seems quaint today considering that Trump continues to violate the emoluments clause every day as President.

I really wish Christopher Hitchens was alive and writing and speaking about politics today. He couldn't stand Hillary Clinton, but he would have a field day with Trump.
Old 18th August 2017, 03:19 PM   #96
C_Felix
Master Poster

Banon, "I'm going to war for the White House"

Hopefully a few of us kept the receipts for all that popcorn we bought.

http://time.com/4907499/steve-bannon...ump-opponents/
Old 18th August 2017, 03:23 PM   #97
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I really wish Christopher Hitchens was alive and writing and speaking about politics today. ...
Ooh yes
*pouring myself a measure of whisky*
Old 18th August 2017, 03:49 PM   #98
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Banon, "I'm going to war for the White House"

Hopefully a few of us kept the receipts for all that popcorn we bought.

http://time.com/4907499/steve-bannon...ump-opponents/
He's been dropping lots of interesting nuggets.

Quote:
“The Trump presidency that we fought for, and won, is over,” Bannon said Friday, shortly after confirming his departure. “We still have a huge movement, and we will make something of this Trump presidency. But that presidency is over. It’ll be something else. And there’ll be all kinds of fights, and there’ll be good days and bad days, but that presidency is over.”
I expect lots of complaints from Breitbart about the (((globalist))) direction the administration has taken.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 04:21 PM   #99
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
If there is a judgement day in which we all stand in line before God and are confronted by a reading of our sins, all in line behind Bannon should take a thick book: they are going to be have a very, very long wait for their turn.
They should get that new book of The PDJT's entire tweet collection. Seriously, that thing is the size of a microwave oven.
Old 18th August 2017, 04:26 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He's been dropping lots of interesting nuggets.

I expect lots of complaints from Breitbart about the (((globalist))) direction the administration has taken.
Taking bets as to how long until Bannon is the target of an angry Trump Tweet......and then it will be on.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th August 2017, 04:43 PM   #101
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

No, it took 6 years for Nixon did caught. [...].
That's what I *********** said.

It's a distinction that makes no difference in retrospect (which was the original point), and it doesn't contradict anything I said.

Try again.

Last edited by John Jones; 18th August 2017 at 04:44 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 04:45 PM   #102
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Taking bets as to how long until Bannon is the target of an angry Trump Tweet......and then it will be on.
I've updated my opinion about what's happening. I have a feeling that Bannon remains pretty loyal to Trump and what he wanted Trump to achieve, but feels he can contribute better by returning to Brietbart.

I think he's misguided about Trump, unfortunately. I still think Trump's primary motive is family wealth.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:04 PM   #103
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's what I *********** said.

It's a distinction that makes no difference in retrospect (which was the original point), and it doesn't contradict anything I said.

Try again.
No, you said 'It took Nixon about 6 years to get in as much trouble as he did'

He was in trouble for decades.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:17 PM   #104
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

No, you said 'It took Nixon about 6 years to get in as much trouble as he did'

He was in trouble for decades.
You don't even remember Nixon. Watergate was ca 1972-August 1974. Nixon didn't even become POTUS until 1969, and he was gone roughly 5 years later.

What trouble was Nixon in for "decades"? The Checkers Speech? Losing to JFK?

Don't contradict me again about a history you never experienced and don't understand.

Last edited by John Jones; 18th August 2017 at 05:26 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 05:40 PM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"You won't have Dick Nixon to kick around any more."

He should have stuck to that. But he was only seriously in trouble from 1972-74.
Old 18th August 2017, 06:07 PM   #106
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I don't wish the man any ill will, I just wish a truck would run over his *********** head.
You could look at it as a merciful death.

He looks very very ill.
Old 18th August 2017, 06:09 PM   #107
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Ben Shapiro, who worked for Breibart but left it when he did not like the way it was going just tweeted:

"Bannon understands the Game of Thrones. Joffrey just beheaded him. So his new plan is to become the Winter King".
For those of us who do not watch, what is the Winter King?

Vengeance all around? Scorched earth?
Old 18th August 2017, 06:22 PM   #108
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You don't even remember Nixon. Watergate was ca 1972-August 1974. Nixon didn't even become POTUS until 1969, and he was gone roughly 5 years later.

Don't contradict me again about a history you never experienced and don't understand.
LOL. How old do you think I am? Unfortunately, I am much much older than you think. So thank you. BTW. To give you an idea. I was an aide to Warren Magnuson.

Nixon had a slush fund in 1952. There was a reason Nixon had been referred to as Tricky Dick. He was dishonest sleaze ball. That said, he was a better President in my mind then any Republican since with the exception of Ford who I thought was a very decent man, but Nixon was smarter.

Last edited by acbytesla; 18th August 2017 at 06:34 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 06:41 PM   #109
Belz...
Fiend God

Wow, that must've stung.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:05 PM   #110
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I hate to say it but Bannon has some good points, especially on North Korea.
If you say enough things, some of them might be right just by random distribution.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:07 PM   #111
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Is it too much to hope for that he ***** all over the orange turd?
Yes, it is.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:08 PM   #112
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
For those of us who do not watch, what is the Winter King?

The character is actually called the Night King:
The Night King is the leader and the first of the White Walkers, having existed since the age of the First Men. By extension, he is also the master of the Wights.
Quote:
Vengeance all around? Scorched earth?

He seems to want to kill all things living (and turn them into wights), so... basically.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:35 PM   #113
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Oh, my! Remember when we were all a-flitter because Flynn was bound to start spilling the beans? Or Priebus? Or Spicer?

The reprehensible right is still the reprehensible right. They will link arms and have petty mud-slinging that amounts to nothing. They still have Jeffie the Traitor Elf and the various idiots in charge of all the cabinet positions and they still have Trump, the head idiot. They aren't going to start any infighting to entertain the Dems or the Left. The Mercers have their man in the White House and it ain't Bannon.

"Oh, Ivanka will rein him in!" Yeah, sure. It's probably due to her influence that he hasn't had any lynchings on the White House lawn.

"Oh, Kelly will take care of it!" Take care of what? Polishing the turd?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:19 PM   #114
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Oh, my! Remember when we were all a-flitter because Flynn was bound to start spilling the beans? Or Priebus? Or Spicer?

The reprehensible right is still the reprehensible right. They will link arms and have petty mud-slinging that amounts to nothing. They still have Jeffie the Traitor Elf and the various idiots in charge of all the cabinet positions and they still have Trump, the head idiot. They aren't going to start any infighting to entertain the Dems or the Left. The Mercers have their man in the White House and it ain't Bannon.

"Oh, Ivanka will rein him in!" Yeah, sure. It's probably due to her influence that he hasn't had any lynchings on the White House lawn.

"Oh, Kelly will take care of it!" Take care of what? Polishing the turd?
That's because we are living in Trump Time. Everything is accelerated. I barely have time to digest the last insanity before we are on to the next. In the last 6 weeks we've lived through the craziness with the push to end Obamacare, Spicer quitting, the nutjob Scaramucci being hired Priebus being let go, Scaramucci being fired, the North Korea standoff, the Klan insanity in Charlottesville and now Bannon being fired.

It's Charlie Sheen on a Coke bender. Winning!

Last edited by acbytesla; 18th August 2017 at 08:22 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:50 PM   #115
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh gee whiz. Bannon is getting the ax?

Oh shucks!

I would have bet that Sessions would have been the next one on the block.
For practical reasons he can't really fire Sessions even if he wants to. Bannon was just an advisor after all, and his replacement (if there is one) doesn't have to be confirmed by the senate. Sessions' replacement would have to go through Senate confirmation.
Old 18th August 2017, 08:58 PM   #116
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
For practical reasons he can't really fire Sessions even if he wants to. Bannon was just an advisor after all, and his replacement (if there is one) doesn't have to be confirmed by the senate. Sessions' replacement would have to go through Senate confirmation.
If he does fire sessions, what then? Congress will never confirm a nominee. Nor should they.

But can such a post go unfilled for 4 years?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 09:06 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is going to get ugly, folks:

Almost everybody is reporting that Jared and Ivanka were instrumrntal in Bannon's firing, which means that they will be Bannon's #1 Target. And given Bannon's "No Mercy" theory of political warfare,I think he will Go There,,Javanka's religion.it is going to be really,really, really, ugly.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th August 2017, 02:49 AM   #118
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Steve Bannon was a viscous, comtemtible bigot. I don't want any sympathy for him because he might have had one or two good ideas.
That is the problem I have with lot of libs. They just don't want to admit that some people are evil beyond redemption. Bannon is one of them.
I love autocorrupt sometimes.

It gave a... swampier... imppession than your intended one.

Both words fit.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 06:27 AM   #119
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Cold.
Trump was criticized on TV tonight for his silence on Bannon's departure. 3 sources tell me Trump tried calling Bannon. They haven't spoken.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 07:12 AM   #120
Degeneve
Muse

Firing Bannon might be the smartest decision taken so far by Trump during his presidency, at least if he is really the one who took that decision...

I now wonder how many time Gorka will manage to keep his desk in the West Wing
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics