ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , donald trump , Pittsburgh incidents , Trump controversies

Old 30th October 2018, 07:28 AM   #1
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump invades Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh shooting victims' families and local officials have begged Trump to stay the hell away, at least until they bury their dead. But Trump's a-coming' anyway.
Quote:
Jewish leaders said that President Trump was not welcome in Pittsburgh and accused him of stirring up extremism.

Mayor William Peduto, who strongly rejected Mr. Trump’s suggestion that armed guards in houses of worship are the answer to violence, warned that the president would be a distraction from funerals taking place Tuesday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/u...gue-trump.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 07:36 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Looking at this from another angle while I can respect (in the abstract, Trump himself not withstanding) the desire to do it for both genuine and PR reasons, in general I think President should just stay away from big events and crises.

The President and his entourage is just too much of a disturbance and with how connected we are he can "lead" just as well from a distance.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 07:43 AM   #3
dann
Philosopher

You mean, on Twitter?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 07:44 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like just a week ago people were butthurt because Trump hadn't inserted himself into the "bomb" attacks.

I'm with Joe on this one. The president should generally keep a much lower profile than we've come to expect.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Thermal
Philosopher

The lower the better.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:49 AM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by NYT
Jewish leaders said that President Trump was not welcome in Pittsburgh
Meanwhile the Nazis say that Jews are not welcome.

Choose your bigots and stay tight with them.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:51 AM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Do you think it's bigoted of the Jewish leaders not to welcome Trump until he condemns right wing extremism?

Or did I read your reply wrong?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 07:55 AM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Do you think it's bigoted of the Jewish leaders not to welcome Trump until he condemns right wing extremism?

It's bigoted to say that he is not welcome. You can think it but don't say it and don't actually prevent him from going to Pitt.

That stark exclusion is bigotry. Set an example by not doing it.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:56 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's bigoted to say that he is not welcome. You can think it but don't say it and don't actually prevent him from going to Pitt.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

Not to speak for William, but I don't know how you got there from what he said.

eta: nm. now I'm thoroughly confused.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:59 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The lower the better.
Agreed. It's been downhill ever since Wilson started delivering the SOTU in person.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 08:04 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Forget parties and politics, I'd just like the next president to be able to shut up for five consecutive minutes. If she were still around today Dorothy Parker would revise her view of Calvin Coolidge.
Old 30th October 2018, 08:12 AM   #13
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

A tip of the chapeau for a wonderful thread title.
Old 30th October 2018, 08:13 AM   #14
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Old 30th October 2018, 08:26 AM   #15
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pittsburgh shooting victims' families and local officials have begged Trump to stay the hell away, at least until they bury their dead. But Trump's a-coming' anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/u...gue-trump.html
The headline of the article at CNN linked to in the NYT piece states:

"Tree of Life community leaders split on potential Trump visit to Pittsburgh."

So this isn't as clear-cut as some may believe.

IMO, the only thing that Comandante Boor-O does consistently is stick his foot in his mouth, so staying away might be the smart thing to do.

That tells me he can't wait to go.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 08:29 AM   #16
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Looking at this from another angle while I can respect (in the abstract, Trump himself not withstanding) the desire to do it for both genuine and PR reasons, in general I think President should just stay away from big events and crises.

The President and his entourage is just too much of a disturbance and with how connected we are he can "lead" just as well from a distance.
A great President would know when it's appropriate and when it isn't. And when it is, he'd have both the style and the substance to do it right. Like this:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th October 2018, 08:39 AM   #17
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
The headline of the article at CNN linked to in the NYT piece states:

"Tree of Life community leaders split on potential Trump visit to Pittsburgh."

So this isn't as clear-cut as some may believe.

IMO, the only thing that Comandante Boor-O does consistently is stick his foot in his mouth, so staying away might be the smart thing to do.

That tells me he can't wait to go.
What's perfectly clear is that at this terrible time, Trump has split the community to satisfy his own ego, but trumpers just wanna win the vote.
Old 30th October 2018, 08:43 AM   #18
Bob001
Philosopher

That stark exclusion is bigotry. Set an example by not doing it.
It is certainly not bigotry to hold a specific public official to account for his own offensive words and behavior.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 09:00 AM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It is certainly not bigotry to hold a specific public official to account for his own offensive words and behavior.
Bigotry is when you tell them to stay out of a city. That is the behavior of Nazis. It's bigotry and it has no place - even when the bigotry comes from Jewish leaders who are mourning.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:03 AM   #20
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Forgive him; he's been subjected to several decades of propaganda devoted to defining racism and bigotry out of existence by spreading it all over everything. As Limbaugh said, "Words have meaning," so that's where you attack when you can't attack the principles or the reasoning behind an idea.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:13 AM   #21
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I am really hoping that The PDJT is going to get an honest earful from someone close to this tragedy.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:46 AM   #22
ahhell
Master Poster

This is all political theater which is unfortunate but not unexpected. I have long said(not here because I haven't been here that long) that not president should ever show up to the site of tragedy because it doesn't do any good and could get in the way of recovery efforts on account of the impact his entourage.

That being said, the folks asking him not to come would have been against his coming if nothing had happened recently. Its just as much political grandstanding as the president showing up and giving a speech.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 09:53 AM   #23
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Just what is he going to do? If there's some sort of memorial on today, he's not invited. None of the city or state officials (Mayor, Governor, Dem Senator, GOP Senator) accepted his invite. No one in Washington, from McConnell to Ryan to Pelosi accepted, either.

He's now boxed in and has to go, so he'll either wander around Squirrel Hill tossing out rolls of paper towels or book an arena and have a rally.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 10:00 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
He kept quiet about the "bomb" atttacks, and people complained that he wasn't taking the stage to Say Something.
Old 30th October 2018, 10:08 AM   #25
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I am really hoping that The PDJT is going to get an honest earful from someone close to this tragedy.
You mean fake news from a Soros paid crisis actor?
Old 30th October 2018, 10:09 AM   #26
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He kept quiet about the "bomb" atttacks, and people complained that he wasn't taking the stage to Say Something.
”Bomb.”
Old 30th October 2018, 10:12 AM   #27
Bob001
Philosopher

Bigotry is when you tell them to stay out of a city. That is the behavior of Nazis. It's bigotry and it has no place - even when the bigotry comes from Jewish leaders who are mourning.
You don't really know what "bigotry" means, do you? These people are burying their loved ones, and they don't want to have to deal with the massive disruption that would be caused by a visit from a specific person that some hold responsible for creating the atmosphere that encouraged the murders.

Bigotry is directed toward a group. Trump stands on his own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.10193fa7bb0c
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.f688123b3de7

Last edited by Bob001; 30th October 2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: to add links
Old 30th October 2018, 10:16 AM   #28
Bob001
Philosopher

He said plenty. He minimized the bomb attacks, even implying that they weren't real, and he sneered at the idea that he should check in with the two former Presidents who, among others, were targeted.

Trump has a genetic inability to say or do what most civilized human beings would recognize as the right thing, even for good pr if nothing else.
Old 30th October 2018, 10:46 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
”Bomb.”
I'm waiting for a conclusive report that they were intended to explode, or even capable of exploding.
Old 30th October 2018, 10:50 AM   #30
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'm waiting for a conclusive report that they were intended to explode, or even capable of exploding.
...what for?

Is it any less intimidating or terrorist-ing?
Old 30th October 2018, 10:55 AM   #31
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
...what for?

There is an interesting legal question there though. Attempted murder, battery, and manslaughter are different crimes. This was clearly terrorism but is it the same thing if he didn't mean to actually harm anyone physically or was incapable of it?

Edit and the first one, definitely as scary as a real bomb, the tenth one, not really.

Last edited by ahhell; 30th October 2018 at 10:56 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 11:01 AM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
...what for?
I'm curious about how things work, and about what actually happened.

Quote:
Yes.
Old 30th October 2018, 11:04 AM   #33
Bob001
Philosopher

If they were just supposed to be scary, he could have filled the pipes with Play-Doh. When he shipped actual explosives, they could have exploded, even if he didn't really intend them to.
Old 30th October 2018, 11:11 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If they were just supposed to be scary, he could have filled the pipes with Play-Doh. When he shipped actual explosives, they could have exploded, even if he didn't really intend them to.
What were the "actual explosives"? I've seen mention of "pyrotechnic powder". Do we now know that's what it was?

Here's some pyrotechnic powder you can order over the Internet:

https://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-GERM...70_&dpSrc=srch

If I order some, will the seller be mailing me a bomb? It's a package full of actual explosives, after all. If I put some in a plastic tube, tape a digital clock to it, and send it to you, have I mailed you a bomb?
Old 30th October 2018, 11:11 AM   #35
carlitos
"más divertido"

1 /10. You need to read Cain's posts here and learn something.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 12:02 PM   #36
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

If you think you're mad now, wait 'til election day has come and gone..........
Republicans absolutely love defeating Hate and Bigotry. The more you hate, the more they'll win. Keep up the good work!
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 02:17 PM   #37
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Odd. I thought he mentioned them frequently and was chastised for sounding like an incompetent idiot unable to fathom his own role in this tragedy.

How many times do you think he mentioned the bomb attacks in tweets or in public in the week after the first was discovered? Would it help if I set the over/under at twenty?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 02:45 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What were the "actual explosives"? I've seen mention of "pyrotechnic powder". Do we now know that's what it was?

Here's some pyrotechnic powder you can order over the Internet:

https://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-GERM...70_&dpSrc=srch

If I order some, will the seller be mailing me a bomb? It's a package full of actual explosives, after all. If I put some in a plastic tube, tape a digital clock to it, and send it to you, have I mailed you a bomb?
Jesus Christ, do you think it might be possible for you to do some (shock horror) actual research before you knee-jerk post and show everyone your complete ignorance regarding explosives.

When a legitimate company mails, couriers, freight or trans-ships explosives, they have to comply with a whole raft of dangerous goods regulations. Included in those regulation is a requirement that the explosive material be shipped in containers that are designed to minimise or eliminate the chances of accidental detonation.

The breeze-block who mailed these devices filled PVC pipe with fireworks explosives. Unlike black powder and smokeless powder which are granulated, fireworks explosive is a fine grain or dust. As a result, it can easily be ignited by electrostatic discharge. PVC pipe is very prone to electrostatic discharge - connect the dots! Unless the power is very tightly packed, shaking and handling of the package will loosen grains of explosive dust that could easily cause the device to detonate/

It is a minor miracle that magabomber didn't blow himself up while filling the PVC pipe. He is almost certainly too stupid to understand the need to ground the pipes, and to ground himself with an anti-static wrist strap (or similar).
Old 30th October 2018, 02:47 PM   #39
Bob001
Philosopher

If you stick a toy gun in my face and take my wallet, you'll go down for armed robbery. If you want me to believe it's a bomb and be scared, then yes, it's a bomb.

And some reports said that the material was black powder, a low-level but still potentially dangerous explosive. If the guy was just making a point, he could have packed the pipes with sand.
Old 30th October 2018, 03:18 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Jesus Christ, do you think it might be possible for you to do some (shock horror) actual research before you knee-jerk post and show everyone your complete ignorance regarding explosives.

When a legitimate company mails, couriers, freight or trans-ships explosives, they have to comply with a whole raft of dangerous goods regulations. Included in those regulation is a requirement that the explosive material be shipped in containers that are designed to minimise or eliminate the chances of accidental detonation.

The breeze-block who mailed these devices filled PVC pipe with fireworks explosives. Unlike black powder and smokeless powder which are granulated, fireworks explosive is a fine grain or dust. As a result, it can easily be ignited by electrostatic discharge. PVC pipe is very prone to electrostatic discharge - connect the dots! Unless the power is very tightly packed, shaking and handling of the package will loosen grains of explosive dust that could easily cause the device to detonate/

It is a minor miracle that magabomber didn't blow himself up while filling the PVC pipe. He is almost certainly too stupid to understand the need to ground the pipes, and to ground himself with an anti-static wrist strap (or similar).

Jesus Freaking CHrist, if you rob a bank using one of those realistic looking but fake guns ,you are still going down for armed robbery.
Why is the prestige not getting this?
And why is somebody so obsessed with trying to, basically, pass off these mailed bombs as some kind of harmless prank?
There was a time, not so long ago, when something like this would have been greeted with horror now across the political spectrum. Now you have mainstream a politicians basically excusing or even justifying it.
At times I think a second Civil War is much closer then we think, if the hatred has mainstreamed this much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics