ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:39 PM   #3081
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Then I simply don't believe things.
Really? Do you test the weight carrying ability of every chair you sit down in before doing so, or do you believe that the manufacturer did their job satisfactorily and that the chair will hold your weight without collapsing?

Do you test all the food your eat, or do you take it on faith that the company followed FDA procedures and that the food is safe to consume?

Shall I continue?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:02 PM   #3082
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Get off my lawn! I'm old enough to have VOTED for Nixon. And did. In my defense, McGovern was a bit of a loon.
Not to derail the thread, but no he wasn't. He was a WWII hero, a university professor, and a respected member of the House and Senate. He got some bad campaign advice, and he was the subject of Nixon dirty tricks. But if McGovern had been elected, there would no Watergate scandal (the break-in happened during the campaign, but most of the cover-up was after the election) and no Nixon resignation-before-impeachment, and we would have gotten out of Vietnam years earlier, saving thousands of American lives and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese lives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McGovern

Last edited by Bob001; 23rd January 2019 at 10:14 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:26 PM   #3083
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but no he wasn't. He was a WWII hero, a university professor, and a respected member of the House and Senate. He got some bad campaign advice, and he was the subject of Nixon dirty tricks. But if McGovern had been elected, there would no Watergate scandal (the break-in happened during the campaign, but most of the cover-up was after the election) and no Nixon resignation-before-impeachment, and we would have gotten out of Vietnam years earlier, saving thousands of American lives and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese lives.
Thank you for saying so. I wanted to reply then worried about thread rules. Nixon and the GOP were just as good back then at pushing a message as they are today.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:28 PM   #3084
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Nothing is believable without evidence.
I take it then that you are an atheist?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:30 PM   #3085
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Which is why I voted for him in my first election.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:35 PM   #3086
Minoosh
Philosopher

But if McGovern had been elected, there would no Watergate scandal (the break-in happened during the campaign, but most of the cover-up was after the election) and no Nixon resignation-before-impeachment, and we would have gotten out of Vietnam years earlier, saving thousands of American lives and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese lives.
On the last bit, are you sure you're not thinking of McCarthy? By the time of Nixon's second inauguration it's pretty clear U.S. involvement was going to end soon.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:38 PM   #3087
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Looks like Cohen is making a play for witness intimidation:

Linky.

Otherwise known as: karma

Thug "Fixer" gets thugged by Thug "Boss".

This whole 3-ring circus just keeps getting more and more entertaining by the day...

And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. All through the town!

Weeeeee!

Old 23rd January 2019, 10:46 PM   #3088
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Really? Do you test the weight carrying ability of every chair you sit down in before doing so, or do you believe that the manufacturer did their job satisfactorily and that the chair will hold your weight without collapsing?

Do you test all the food your eat, or do you take it on faith that the company followed FDA procedures and that the food is safe to consume?

Shall I continue?
This is a detail.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:46 PM   #3089
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
On the last bit, are you sure you're not thinking of McCarthy? By the time of Nixon's second inauguration it's pretty clear U.S. involvement was going to end soon.
It continued for two more years, until April 1975, and ended catastrophically for the Vietnamese and for the U.S. I think McGovern would have negotiated us out earlier, on better terms.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:47 PM   #3090
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
No, McGovern was an early critic of our involvement in Vietnam. He ran on getting us out ASAP.
Old 24th January 2019, 02:10 AM   #3091
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/StormyDaniels/st...51353296338951

Quote:
Are you ******* serious, Mikey?! What about MY family? You gave zero ***** about my baby. In all serious though, this is WHY you shouldn't back down! This is your chance to be a hero! I'll loan you some of my balls, hold your hand, or whatever else you need to do the right thing.
Old 24th January 2019, 04:31 AM   #3092
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
My pick of the replies, this person's sense of humor is one I can relate to...
Fran Jablway
‏ I blame the weasel who crawled into the wiring at the Hadron collider in Switzerland about three years ago. The short knocked us into a parallel universe. We will get back to normal when they repair it. That theory makes the most sense to me.
Old 24th January 2019, 05:14 AM   #3093
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
My pick of the replies, this person's sense of humor is one I can relate to...
Fran Jablway
‏ I blame the weasel who crawled into the wiring at the Hadron collider in Switzerland about three years ago. The short knocked us into a parallel universe. We will get back to normal when they repair it. That theory makes the most sense to me.
Nice.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 06:09 AM   #3094
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

They'll just need to wait for a particular thing to come out or happen (documentary evidence of Trump doing something that nobody can deny is a felony, or perhaps something like caving on the wall), and they can talk about how he's not the man they thought he was, how he betrayed them and America, etc.
That's what the Dallas Morning News did when Nixon resigned.

The day after Nixon's resignation, the Dallas Morning News ran a front-page mea culpa admitting they had been wrong to support Nixon throughout the Watergate scandalóbut they couldn't possibly have known Nixon was a crook until he admitted it by resigning, so they had actually been more right than everyone who had criticized Nixon before the resignation, because none of that criticism was based on evidence, because there was no genuine evidence of wrongdoing until Nixon provided evidence by resigning.

That's a paraphrase, of course, but it isn't any more ridiculous than what they said in their front-page editorial.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 06:22 AM   #3095
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

They'll just need to wait for a particular thing to come out or happen (documentary evidence of Trump doing something that nobody can deny is a felony, or perhaps something like caving on the wall), and they can talk about how he's not the man they thought he was, how he betrayed them and America, etc. Basically the same line that other right-wing pundits such as Ann Coulter have taken when it's looked like turning on him was the right thing to do.
"I am shocked - shocked! - to discover that this lying POS is a lying POS".

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 06:26 AM   #3096
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
POTUS.
Old 24th January 2019, 08:20 AM   #3097
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Reminds me of something I heard at work from a Trump supporter. He said he thought a lot of the criticism Trump gets is unfair. He said, "Come on, everybody knew this guy lies all the time. That he was basically a sleaze. This is news?"
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 10:52 AM   #3098
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Reminds me of something I heard at work from a Trump supporter. He said he thought a lot of the criticism Trump gets is unfair. He said, "Come on, everybody knew this guy lies all the time. That he was basically a sleaze. This is news?"
Did you ask the obvious follow-up: "So why did you vote for him?"
Old 24th January 2019, 10:58 AM   #3099
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Get off my lawn! I'm old enough to have VOTED for Nixon. And did. In my defense, McGovern was a bit of a loon.

We need an acronym for C.R.A.P.P.E.
Hmm...Committee of Republicans Against Pretty-much Practically Everything?
I prefer this

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How about the Committee for the Re-Election of Trump In November?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 11:00 AM   #3100
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
That's what the Dallas Morning News did when Nixon resigned.

The day after Nixon's resignation, the Dallas Morning News ran a front-page mea culpa admitting they had been wrong to support Nixon throughout the Watergate scandalóbut they couldn't possibly have known Nixon was a crook until he admitted it by resigning, so they had actually been more right than everyone who had criticized Nixon before the resignation, because none of that criticism was based on evidence, because there was no genuine evidence of wrongdoing until Nixon provided evidence by resigning.

That's a paraphrase, of course, but it isn't any more ridiculous than what they said in their front-page editorial.

In 2016, most leading newspapers, including ones with staunch Republican reputations, endorsed Clinton or no one. When Trump is finally pushed out, one way or another, their editorials will begin "We told you so!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspa...ntial_election

Last edited by Bob001; 24th January 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:07 AM   #3101
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Did you ask the obvious follow-up: "So why did you vote for him?"
Yes. His answer was, "He's the only one willing to stand up and stop all this crap." I let it go at that.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 11:15 AM   #3102
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

So interesting that bad lawyer Michael Cohen, who sadly will not be testifying before Congress, is using the lawyer of Crooked Hillary Clinton to represent him - Gee, how did that happen? Remember July 4th weekend when Crooked went before FBI & wasn’t sworn in, no tape, nothing?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 11:16 AM   #3103
zorro99
Muse

Trump is trying to intimidate witnesses.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #3104
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes. His answer was, "He's the only one willing to stand up and stop all this crap." I let it go at that.
I wouldn't.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 11:29 AM   #3105
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

So interesting that bad lawyer Michael Cohen, who sadly will not be testifying before Congress, is using the lawyer of Crooked Hillary Clinton to represent him - Gee, how did that happen? Remember July 4th weekend when Crooked went before FBI & wasn’t sworn in, no tape, nothing?

Is that you, Donald T.? It sure sounds like one his tweets. Lying to a federal law enforcement officer can always be prosecuted as a felony. The witness doesn't have to be sworn. And -- for better or worse -- the FBI doesn't record any interviews. They prepare detailed notes on a 302 form.
https://jonathanturley.org/2013/05/1...nterrogations/
Old 24th January 2019, 11:45 AM   #3106
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Is that you, Donald T.? It sure sounds like one his tweets. Lying to a federal law enforcement officer can always be prosecuted as a felony. The witness doesn't have to be sworn. And -- for better or worse -- the FBI doesn't record any interviews. They prepare detailed notes on a 302 form.

Umm, feel awkward pointing this out but.. Look at the first two words you quoted.....

But yeah. Of course "Trump's an idiot who doesn't understand what he's talking about" is the answer.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 11:45 AM   #3107
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

So interesting that bad lawyer Michael Cohen, who sadly will not be testifying before Congress, is using the lawyer of Crooked Hillary Clinton to represent him - Gee, how did that happen? Remember July 4th weekend when Crooked went before FBI & wasnít sworn in, no tape, nothing?
Man, this guy is an idiot.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:53 AM   #3108
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Umm, feel awkward pointing this out but.. Look at the first two words you quoted.....

But yeah. Of course "Trump's an idiot who doesn't understand what he's talking about" is the answer.
Well, I guess it is Donald T. As the newspapers used to say, "We regret our error."
Old 24th January 2019, 12:03 PM   #3109
KDLarsen
Illuminator

The Senate Intelligence Committee has served Michael Cohen with a subpoena. No comments from the senate committee so far.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 12:05 PM   #3110
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is trying to delay the Mueller report by constantly committing new acts of Obstruction and Collusion.
Old 24th January 2019, 02:17 PM   #3111
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

"We knew Trump was full of lies and sleaze."

"Then why did you vote for him?"

"He's the only one willing to stand up and stop all this crap."

"What crap?"

"All the lies and sleaze in DC".
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 04:27 PM   #3112
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Trump is trying to intimidate witnesses.
Not trying. He did. Cohen is afraid for his family now.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 07:06 PM   #3113
Minoosh
Philosopher

It continued for two more years, until April 1975, and ended catastrophically for the Vietnamese and for the U.S. I think McGovern would have negotiated us out earlier, on better terms.
History.com's "on this day" for March 29 says that in 1973, U.S. withdraws from Vietnam
Quote:
Two months after the signing of the Vietnam peace agreement, the last U.S. combat troops leave South Vietnam as Hanoi frees the remaining American prisoners of war held in North Vietnam. Americaís direct eight-year intervention in the Vietnam War was at an end. In Saigon, some 7,000 U.S. Department of Defense civilian employees remained behind to aid South Vietnam in conducting what looked to be a fierce and ongoing war with communist North Vietnam.
I gotta wonder just what the job was of the 7,000 "Defense Department civilian employees" left behind, but March 29, 1973 seems to be the standard date in terms of U.S. troops leaving Vietnam. The last Americans were flown out on April 30, 1975.

I don't know what McGovern could have done to accelerate U.S. troop withdrawal - it seems to have been put into motion soon after Nixon's second inauguration.

Sorry to add to a derail. I am curious about this but don't want to jack the thread.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 08:16 PM   #3114
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
The Senate Intelligence Committee has served Michael Cohen with a subpoena. No comments from the senate committee so far.

The Senate Intelligence Committee?
Old 24th January 2019, 09:07 PM   #3115
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The Senate Intelligence Committee?
More Intimidation and Obstruction.
Old 25th January 2019, 12:56 AM   #3116
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I'm truly disappointed because I am really looking forward to his testimony but I think this is a good play on his part. It brings attention to Trump's witness tampering and it helps the case for obstruction of justice. Maybe his father in law is a criminal, I don't know but in that case, it would make any efforts to go after him appear political.
I tend to credit Cummings on this. He's a pretty cagey player. He was always one step ahead of the Benghazi>>Emails GOP tribalists. He's the one coming out with the harsher words, probably hoping if not outright knowing that Trump will associate any Cummings' statement with Cohen and that he won't be able to resist threatening him even more directly. (He could always call Giuliani for advice! Rudi will probably suggest "you know I know a guy who knows about that thing that we were talking about doing wit' dat guy".And then go on Meet the Press two weeks later and explain that the President has the same rights as everyone else to order a cement overcoat if he wants one.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 01:29 AM   #3117
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
More Intimidation and Obstruction.
As intimidating as possible, I would expect. There will be a laser focus on Cohen himself but nothing to do with Trump.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 04:08 AM   #3118
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How about the Committee for the Re-Election of Trump In November?

Is good. I like.
Old 25th January 2019, 04:28 AM   #3119
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
As intimidating as possible, I would expect. There will be a laser focus on Cohen himself but nothing to do with Trump.
The committee makeup will not be in Trump's favor. He has a number of lapdogs in there but he's also got Collins and Sasse on the GOP side of the ledger. Neither is going to be flogging Trump's petunias, so their majority evaporates if they have to vote on anything. Yeah, Burr can have the subpoena issued but it's hard to see what they will get done. I'm sure TBD and Ziggurat will be along shortly to explain how this is just an elaborate perjury trap. Someone, notably Barr probably believes the crap they hear on Ingraham and that Cohen will be caught out "when the truth is revealed,... after these messages from our sponsor". The Senate leaders for both parties are also both ex officio members so I'd imagine they'll be attending.

In addition to the No Solid Vote GOPers(Collins and Sasse), the Dems don't exactly have a bunch of lightweights.... Mark Warner, Kamala Harris, Diane Feinstein....

I think what you're going to get is going to be lightweight. The Dems will be reporting back to the House and Barr will be doing a rendition of The Midnight Ride of Devin Nunes.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 04:38 AM   #3120
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Roger Stone has been arrested on 7 charges of obstruction, witness tampering and making false statements

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics