ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th November 2019, 07:55 AM   #121
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What is the deal with modern Turkish insistence on believing themselves special? Most other nationalities have outgrown that, or at least base it on something other than mere ancestry. Inferiority complex?
The bold bit, have they really? There are some obvious large nations that clearly haven't. Russia, China, Japan, the US.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 08:10 AM   #122
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
The bold bit, have they really? There are some obvious large nations that clearly haven't. Russia, China, Japan, the US.
But the US blind nationalism isn't based on ancestry: American exceptionalism is based on theory of government and philosophies of individual liberty, not on who our ancestors were.
Old 15th November 2019, 09:45 AM   #123
Pope130
Illuminator

What is the deal with modern Turkish insistence on believing themselves special? Most other nationalities have outgrown that, or at least base it on something other than mere ancestry. Inferiority complex?

This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his
mother's side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have
little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds to
happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply.
-- Lazarus Long, from Robert A. Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love"
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 09:47 AM   #124
ahhell
Master Poster

But the US blind nationalism isn't based on ancestry: American exceptionalism is based on theory of government and philosophies of individual liberty, not on who our ancestors were.
Fair, though some folks would disagree. Still, there are lots of nations where nationalism is based on ancestry. I just question the notion that "most" nations have gotten over it. I don't know how you could measure it though. Are there polls out there asking, "Do you think folks of insert your ancestry/nationality here ancestry are special?"
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 09:57 AM   #125
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Seljuk Turks ....

But other Turkish tribes came to Europe and Anatolia before.

All the white western peoples are Turks.
So the Greeks are Turks?
Old 15th November 2019, 10:14 AM   #126
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I suspect it's all a distraction to avoid discussion of the Armenian genocide.
Old 15th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #127
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I suspect it's all a distraction to avoid discussion of the Armenian genocide.
Which is so childish. Why bother denying genocides? I'm American. My ancestors genocided the hell out of this continent, and tried it a few times elsewhere. I don't approve of it but the perpetrators are long dead. Even if they weren't dead they probably wouldn't care what I thought about it anyway. So why would I care to cover up their misdeeds? I got nothing at stake.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:17 AM   #128
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
So the Greeks are Turks?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 15th November 2019, 11:17 AM   #129
carlitos
"más divertido"

So the Greeks are Turks?
I just saw a little of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" this weekend. The father in that movie sounds very much like the OP, but Greek instead of Turkish. "There are two kinds of people. Greeks, and everyone else who wish they was Greek."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 11:24 AM   #130
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Are you thinking of St George?
Man is older than Coal
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 11:42 AM   #131
Emre_1974tr
Muse

So the Greeks are Turks?
Yes, Turkic tribe

http://www.viewzone.com/rewrite.html
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 11:45 AM   #132
Doubt
Philosopher

From this we can conclude that almost nobody in either Greece or Turkey finds your arguments particularly compelling.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:48 AM   #133
catsmate
No longer the 1

The Turks<gibber snip>
Nope. Complete rubbish.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 11:52 AM   #134
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

About these Turks....does their cat's breath smell like cat food?
Old 15th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #135
ahhell
Master Poster

I suspect that all Steppes people were Turks, therefore Europeans, Aryans, Mongols, and of course Turks are Turks.
Old 15th November 2019, 12:32 PM   #136
halleyscomet
Philosopher

From the linked site:

Quote:
Have you ever wanted to know what mankind's civilizations looked like before the Great Flood? At last you can. They're being uncovered right now in Turkey and other parts of Central Asia.

We humans have been wrongly conditioned to regard such countries as Sumeria, Greece, Egypt, and China as the parents of all human civilizations. But Archeologists in Turkey and Central Asia are now finding extensive ruins of ancient civilizations predating the Great Flood by ten thousand years and even more! We are even finding out, through digs in Iran and other places, that there was not one "Noah's Ark", but perhaps many more. Other "Noah's Arks" are waiting to be discovered.
That's right folks. This post-digestion bovine feed stats off assuming a young Earth Creationist model and assumes a literal Noah's Ark. It further asserts "evidence" of a global flood. It then gets DUMBER from there.

The page reads like it was written by the product of a multi-generational inbreeding program featuring Flat Earthers, racists, and Young Earth Creationists.

Update: Emre_1974tr has GOT to be trolling us with that link. I checked out some of the other headlines on viewzone.com. It reads like a version of the Weekly World News that heavily plagiarizes the David Icke forums for source material.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 15th November 2019 at 12:36 PM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 01:41 PM   #137
Emre_1974tr
Muse

http://viewzone2.com/ancientturksx.h...my_VwP38HcGjOc
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Come to think of it, I think I can name more civilizations that have held territory in what is now Turkey than civilizations who haven't. Everybody from the Egyptians to the Mongols!
Let's not forget Pontus, which was a major player for a number of years, and a thorn in Rome's side.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 01:57 PM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think they picked it up from their Russian neighbors...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 02:04 PM   #140
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Update: Emre_1974tr has GOT to be trolling us with that link. I checked out some of the other headlines on viewzone.com. It reads like a version of the Weekly World News that heavily plagiarizes the David Icke forums for source material.
I don't think so; he's just seeking out any site that validates his crazy hypothesis. e.g., THE MAYANS WERE TAMILS.

The sumerian turks website linked earlier has "paleolinguistics," which appears about as sane as numerology in terms of the scientific method.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 02:20 PM   #141
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I don't think so; he's just seeking out any site that validates his crazy hypothesis. e.g., THE MAYANS WERE TAMILS.

The sumerian turks website linked earlier has "paleolinguistics," which appears about as sane as numerology in terms of the scientific method.
This, I think he probably just googled, "Greeks are Turks" or something similar and that's what came up.
Old 15th November 2019, 04:19 PM   #142
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This, I think he probably just googled, "Greeks are Turks" or something similar and that's what came up.
The early Greeks were in Anatolia. But they were not Turks. The Turks stated with tribal groups up in or near the caucuses. But the people of Turkmenistan do not consider themselves to be Turks and the Turks do not see themselves as the same as the people still living in the caucuses.

The only way the concept of all white people being Turks works is if Anatolia was always Turkey (it wasn't) and those people who did not speak Indo European languages are not real. This would make the Basque, Finns, Hungarians, and even Germans fake people. Well, the Germans are only half fake since there are some Indo European elements in German. Also the Etruscans would be mythical even though we have written examples of their language and the Romans wrote about them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts