ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Allais Effect , Dark Flow , relativity , Theory of Relativity

Closed Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 06:50 AM   #121
Bjarne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Common sense is one thing. I thought you were talking about science.

And now you're saying that it's propaganda. Which, again, means conspiracy. So it's a conspiracy that NASA have been misled by, rather than one they are misleading people with?
No rather 100 years massive provaganda / brainwash, that prevent the brain to keep the option open, that something is wrong with the the theory of relativity
Bjarne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 06:54 AM   #122
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
No rather 100 years massive provaganda / brainwash, that prevent the brain to keep the option open, that something is wrong with the the theory of relativity
But somebody(s) must have started that propaganda.

That's where the conspiracy started. Or didn't it?
Old 3rd February 2016, 06:58 AM   #123
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
Relativity explains Mercury. Does EU? Is it more precise than ToR/ Where can we find the observations that demonstrate it?
An excellent point, I was researching the whole Vulcan business recently. Unless Bjarne can explain perhelion progression he's got nothing.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:02 AM   #124
Bjarne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
An excellent point, I was researching the whole Vulcan business recently. Unless Bjarne can explain perhelion progression he's got nothing.
And this is what I did, - very much down to Earth..

The way to calculate how much the eclipse diviate from a perfect cirkel, - per second - can be nicer. But not crucial yet, the force is there, and it fits the bill.

We are in fact lossing mercury, this is what happen. The excat same law of nature was resposible for the pioneer anomaly..

http://www.science27.com/mercury

Last edited by Bjarne; 3rd February 2016 at 07:12 AM.
Bjarne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:04 AM   #125
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

very mush
... very mush indeed.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:22 AM   #126
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

The way to calculate how much the eclipse diviate from a perfect cirkel, - per second - can be nicer. But not crucial yet, the force is there, and it fits the bill.

We are in fact lossing mercury, this is what happen. The excat same law of nature was resposible for the pioneer anomaly..

I asked
Quote:

Relativity explains Mercury. Does EU? Is it more precise than ToR/ Where can we find the observations that demonstrate it?
Is it more precise than Relativity? Being better than Relativity IS THE point, is it not? In order for a theory to supplant ToR it is crucial that it be demonstrably better and more precise than ToR. Your post above gives the impression that you believe that all it needs to do is come subjectively close to the same result as ToR. Not good enough.

In fact in order to supplant ToR you will ave to demonstrate that EU is better than ToR in that it makes the same or more precise predictions as ToR and that it also works in a group of situations in which ToR does not fully explain observations. That would be a very big, very detailed paper with a lot of calculations and formulas, worthy of submission to peer review journals.

Last edited by jaydeehess; 3rd February 2016 at 07:33 AM.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:33 AM   #127
Bjarne
Illuminator

I asked

Is it more precise than Relativity? Being better than Relativity IS THE point, is it not? In order for a theory to supplant ToR it is crucial that it be demonstrably better and more precise than ToR. Your post above gives the impression that you believe that all it needs to do is come subjectively close to the same result as ToR. Not good enough.

RR can easy explain the perihelion precision anomaly, thus it is not necessary to belive that GR is the correct theory for gravity..

http://science27.com/mercurye/
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:41 AM   #128
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

RR can easy explain the perihelion precision anomaly, thus it is not necessary to belive that GR is the correct theory for gravity..

http://science27.com/mercurye/
Theory of Relativity can easily explain the precession of the perihelion of Mercury thus it is not necessary to believe EU is the correct theory for gravity.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:45 AM   #129
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

Read the theory my freind and you would not have these conserns
How does the model explain why decay rates slow down as particles speed up?
AdamSK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:50 AM   #130
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

I asked.........

In fact in order to supplant ToR you will ave to demonstrate that EU is better than ToR in that it makes the same or more precise predictions as ToR and that it also works in a group of situations in which ToR does not fully explain observations. That would be a very big, very detailed paper with a lot of calculations and formulas, worthy of submission to peer review journals.
Does it make the same, and better, predictions as GR, in every situation? Does it make valid predictions for situations that GR does not?

If the answer is no, or it makes most of the same predictions then it DOES NOT supplant GR!

If you can demonstrate this and prepare a paper on it, I suggest you do it in Danish or German and submit it for peer review.

THAT IS THE ONLY WAY that you are ever going to be able to fulfill the title of your thread and see " The Theory of Relativity will begin to fall apart in 2016/2017".

Posting this on forums across the internet will never fulfill your dream. Posting it on internet forums is about as effective as explaining it to Den lille Havfrue.

Last edited by jaydeehess; 3rd February 2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:55 AM   #131
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Wherein we see a broad and ill-defined range of values for "something."
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:58 AM   #132
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I am not sure you understand how much common sence damage 100 years massive provaganda can do.
I know one guy who understood the problem with Common Sense very well.

Quote:
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -- Albert Einstein
(From: //www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins125365.html#XhgusgG8h8kOHZq6.99)

And look at how he turned things upside down.
Old 3rd February 2016, 08:42 AM   #133
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Always a great option to blame "them" for the fact that your pet theory cannot gain acceptance.

The ironic thing here is that Einstein had a fair amount of resistance to relativity and yet he surmounted all that by PUBLISHING, and having observation bear out his predictions.
Old 3rd February 2016, 08:50 AM   #134
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Propaganda by who? To what aim?

And if people's brains aren't open to the possibility that something could defy relativity, then why did CERN scientists 5 years ago release press statements to the effect that they thought they might have defied relativity?
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:05 AM   #135
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

So long GPS not is a scientific test system, the scientific aspect does not have primary priority.
A) I did not claim that GPS was a 'scientific test system.' I claimed that your statements about GPS corrections were wrong. I stand by my claims, and maintain that GPS data does, in fact, provide very strong ongoing support for mainstream relativity.

B) The sun is not a scientific test system, and yet we have learned a great deal by studying it.

C) By any reasonable standard, the HafeleľKeating experiment was a 'scientific test system' that tested Relativity. If we compare them,
1) GPS provides data from dozens of atomic clocks (typically ~29) vs. 4 for HafeleľKeating
2) GPS provides >180,000 hours of data vs. ~100 hours for HafeleľKeating
3) The GPS trajectories are vastly more accurate.
. . . and yet you would have us reject GPS data in favor of HafeleľKeating because GPS isn't a 'scientific test system?' (afaik, there's no inconsistency between HafeleľKeating results and GPS results)

Quote:
Exactly like Chernobyl also had a different primary purpose.
I believe this is the first time I've ever heard GPS compared to Chernobyl.
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:10 AM   #136
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I am not sure you understand how much common sence damage 100 years massive provaganda can do.
I am not sure you understand that data for cesium clocks in orbit and the time differentials.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:14 AM   #137
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think you really know what the perihelion anomaly is.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:17 AM   #138
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Propaganda by who? To what aim?
Einstein achieved something approaching rock star celebrity.
I suspect that Bjarne wishes to garner that same celebrity.

Quote:
And if people's brains aren't open to the possibility that something could defy relativity, then why did CERN scientists 5 years ago release press statements to the effect that they thought they might have defied relativity?
Good point.
In fact scientists get very excited anytime something they observe appears to contradict predictions. Its a mystery, a problem that begs solving which will advance knowledge. Without such curiosity we would not have, among other things, penicillin.
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:20 AM   #139
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The way to calculate how much the eclipse diviate from a perfect cirkel, - per second - can be nicer.
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I don't think you really know what the perihelion anomaly is.
I have to admit the language barrier prevented me from fully understanding that sentence. If he thinks that the anomaly is the fact that Mercury's orbit isn't a circle then we might assume he knows nothing about orbital mechanics at all.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:07 AM   #140
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Without such curiosity we would not have, among other things, penicillin.
Or the medium through which we're having this conversation.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:17 AM   #141
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Einstein achieved something approaching rock star celebrity..........
Yeah, but he earned it.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:31 AM   #142
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

The place you went wrong is that before an anisotropic accelerating can be measured, the test object must be exposed to the anisotropic force acceleration and not to the earth not. so simple is that.

Before continuing tell me when is such test object exposed?
Yes The test object in both cases is exposed to contact force that holds it to the earths surface. The contact force can be described as a rigid body force or an elastic force with very large elasticity.

Anisotropy means that the force is varying with direction. The rotation of the earth causes the forces on each body to vary in direction. If the forces in each case didn't vary with direction, the bodies in the experimental apparatus couldn't be stationary with respect to the surface of the earth.

The surface of the earth is a physical surface only because there are forces that act on each body on the surface. The surface retains its integrity because of contact forces that vary in direction. If there were no internal forces keeping the surface intact, then the bodies on the surface would go into a gravitational orbit. The gravitational orbit would not have the same frequency as the rotation of the earth.

Every experiment involves bodies that are under the influence of force. I don't know which bodies that you would consider a 'test object'. However, it doesn't really matter since all the bodies are accelerating due to anisotropic forces.

All bodies in the Foucault experiment are subject to anisotropic forces. The pendulum Foucault is a bob (massive weight) attached to a very long cord. The weight is subject to two major forces: the elastic force of the cord and the gravity of the earth. Both forces are anisotropic since the direction of the force varies with position. The ceiling is under the influence of the tension of the string and gravity. The tension varies with the direction of the cord so it is anisotropic.

If you consider the bob to be the test object, then clearly it is under a very anisotropic force of the tension on the cord. However, you can decide that the cord is the test object or the ceiling is the test object. They are subject to anisotropic forces that you would probably call mundane.

All bodies in the Michelson-Gale experiment are subject to anisotropic forces. Each mirror in the Michalson-Gale experiment is subject to three forces: gravity, the contact force of the table on the mirrors, and the light pressure from the light waves. Each of these forces have to vary in direction in order for the mirrors to remain stationary with respect to the surface of the earth.

The most interesting force for me in the Michalson-Gale experiment is the light pressure. The light rotating in the counter clockwise direction is exerting a different force on the mirror than the light rotating in the clockwise position because of Doppler shift. The light reflected off each mirror is Doppler shifted when reflecting off the mirror, creating a difference in wavelength and hence a difference in light pressure.

Most derivations of the Sagnac effect avoid considerations of the light pressure by using the hypothesis that the mirrors are stationary with respect to the surface of the earth. The derivations don't show that the mirrors could only be stationary if the direction of the light pressure was anisotropic in the direction of motion. The contact force of mirror against holder has to be anisotropic to hold the holder in place, and the light pressure has to be anisotropic in order to hold the mirror in place.

You probably consider the mirrors to be 'test objects'. However, you could also consider the photons to be test objects if you like. Every time a photon hits a mirror, it recoils due to the force of the mirror on the photon. The relativistic twist is that the photons are going at a constant speed, designated 'c'. This sort of thing is not predicted in Newtonian physics. However, the salient point doesn't change. The force of photon on mirror is anisotropic.

You are making the common mistake of ignoring the internal forces that hold objects together. These forces can not be totally ignored when solving a problem in either Newtonian physics or Einstein's physics.

Last edited by Darwin123; 3rd February 2016 at 11:15 AM.
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:36 AM   #143
Maartenn100
Illuminator

Darwin123, you are one of the very few people here on the forum who really provides some logical reasoning and evidence.
Scepticism as it should be. Thank you.
We, minds, experience moment by moment the unfolding of events. But that's not how the phenomena exist outthere. In spacetime all events already exist simultaniously in past, present and future.(Einstein) Only the interaction with a mind, establishes the experience of the unfolding of these events, moment by moment.

Last edited by Maartenn100; 3rd February 2016 at 10:41 AM.
Maartenn100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:38 AM   #144
Bjarne
Illuminator

Theory of Relativity can easily explain the precession of the perihelion of Mercury thus it is not necessary to believe EU is the correct theory for gravity.
In the end of the day its a question of evidence
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:39 AM   #145
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 View Post
I want to see some scepticism on the content of the content of the topic starter.
Is that possible on this forum? Thank you. (I mean: some real scepticism).
I am quite skeptical that "content of the content" makes much sense.

ETA: I see you edited your post.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:40 AM   #146
Bjarne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AdamSK View Post
How does the model explain why decay rates slow down as particles speed up?
try to read the site www.science27.com
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:40 AM   #147
Maartenn100
Illuminator

Quote:
ETA: I see you edited your post.
Yes, sorry for that. I saw that Darwin123 gave some real arguments just before I posted my post.
We, minds, experience moment by moment the unfolding of events. But that's not how the phenomena exist outthere. In spacetime all events already exist simultaniously in past, present and future.(Einstein) Only the interaction with a mind, establishes the experience of the unfolding of these events, moment by moment.
Maartenn100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:40 AM   #148
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

In the end of the day its a question of evidence
Yes and thus I said, and you ignored:
Quote:
Does it make the same, and better, predictions as GR, in every situation? Does it make valid predictions for situations that GR does not?

If the answer is no, or it makes most of the same predictions then it DOES NOT supplant GR!

If you can demonstrate this and prepare a paper on it, I suggest you do it in Danish or German and submit it for peer review.

THAT IS THE ONLY WAY that you are ever going to be able to fulfill the title of your thread and see " The Theory of Relativity will begin to fall apart in 2016/2017".

Posting this on forums across the internet will never fulfill your dream. Posting it on internet forums is about as effective as explaining it to Den lille Havfrue.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:41 AM   #149
Bjarne
Illuminator

You have to read the theory if you want to know the differencies, and what is common
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:45 AM   #150
Maartenn100
Illuminator

Smile

You have to read the theory if you want to know the differencies, and what is common
Yes, I wonder wether someone really has read the theory of the OP and can explain argument by argument why it is wrong. That would be real good scepticism.
Point by point.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:46 AM   #151
Bjarne
Illuminator

I have to admit the language barrier prevented me from fully understanding that sentence. If he thinks that the anomaly is the fact that Mercury's orbit isn't a circle then we might assume he knows nothing about orbital mechanics at all.
Right in a circle RR and RRPKE cancel out, hence no anomaly. Paths more or less alongated is dominated by RR
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:49 AM   #152
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

....... Paths more or less alongated is dominated by RR
Orbits, perhaps, and elongated? Really, Bjarne, although English isn't your first language, you aren't making it easy for people to understand what you are trying to say.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:54 AM   #153
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

try to read the site www.science27.com
So it does or it doesn't provide an alternative explanation for this phenomenon?
AdamSK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:01 AM   #154
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Well, not to sound too much like a grumpy bottom, but I would argue that not many ground-breaking physics theories are presented to the world on fairly obscure, non-technical, internet discussion forums.
http://www.thescienceforum.com/astro...-possible.html
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:06 AM   #155
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I wonder wether someone really has read the theory of the OP and can explain argument by argument why it is wrong. That would be real good scepticism.
Point by point.
There is a very good reason why nobody would or should be foolhardy enough to undertake such a thing. One quick peek and you discover that he measures energy in meters. And he measures speed in meters and so on.

Now, to be charitable, that may be a matter of a language barrier but the consequence is that the text cannot be parsed let alone critiqued.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:10 AM   #156
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Yes, sorry for that. I saw that Darwin123 gave some real arguments just before I posted my post.
So you post a complaint without reading, change that same post, than in a new post following, you post a complaint that people don't read a theory.

Old 3rd February 2016, 11:11 AM   #157
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Point by point.
Are you familiar with the op's history of posting theories?
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:13 AM   #158
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

Darwin123, you are one of the very few people here on the forum who really provides some logical reasoning and evidence.
Scepticism as it should be. Thank you.
Thanks! Your compliment means even more to me than a compliment would from someone that I agree with!
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:19 AM   #159
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Well ... I'm convinced! Bjarne this is an exceeding rare and unprecedented event here on the ISF, but the ISF team has decided to make you point man on the development of the inter-galactic hyper-drive engine! And we need it-yesterday.

How else will humankind take over the galaxy! Please don't disappoint us ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:23 AM   #160
Maartenn100
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Are you familiar with the op's history of posting theories?
'the history of posting theories' of someone doesn't tell us anything about the validity of a theory.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology