ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 22nd January 2019, 12:12 PM   #681
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't associate myself with any political party but the right wingers that I know personally do not equate previous greatness with some all-white period of American history. When was that period anyway?
I read that as alt-white for a second. Got me thinking...
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:13 PM   #682
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
I read that as alt-white for a second. Got me thinking...
Maybe non-white Trump supporters can be labeled as such from now on. You know, while we're at it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:15 PM   #683
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

I guess my observation is that everyone wants to toss people into one bucket or another, to categorize and label them.

When this process is interrupted or confused, it reveals how broken the whole thing* is.

*our national discourse, for lack of a better term

Last edited by Imhotep; 22nd January 2019 at 12:16 PM.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:16 PM   #684
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe non-white Trump supporters can be labeled as such from now on. You know, while we're at it.
Haha, there you go.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:20 PM   #685
The Big Dog

More video from the Actual Hate group attacking the native Americans, and women.

https://twitter.com/almostjingo/stat...24658753003520

And "Elder" Phillips called them the "prey"

and the Indians are out protesting outside the boy's school which is closed because of death threats.

What an incredible scam these race hustlers have pulled
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:21 PM   #686
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I remember when America was great and it was full of foreigners and immigrants. My own ancestors, two generations before me, were foreign immigrants.
I知 an immigrant. I guess I知 partially to blame for America not being great anymore.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:24 PM   #687
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I知 an immigrant. I guess I知 partially to blame for America not being great anymore.
BUILD THE WALL!

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:26 PM   #688
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Have any videos come out showing the students chanting 'build that wall'? I saw multiple news reports referencing this happening, and even upon updates after the full video was released only mention 'they were not audible by the video', but never a retraction of the claim. Guess I find it hard to believe that with so many people videoing the encounter that such a claim remains reported but unsubstantiated.

Doesn't matter too much but irks me for some reason.
CNN says they haven't found any, and by golly, you know they looked and looked for it.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:28 PM   #689
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

BUILD THE WALL!
It would have to be a much bigger wall to have kept me out.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:29 PM   #690
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
More video from the Actual Hate group attacking the native Americans, and women.

https://twitter.com/almostjingo/stat...24658753003520

And "Elder" Phillips called them the "prey"

and the Indians are out protesting outside the boy's school which is closed because of death threats.

What an incredible scam these race hustlers have pulled
Close enough

Who hoo!
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:29 PM   #691
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
So a steel worker in 1930's Germany, who sees jobs returning to their industry and is in line for his biggest pay rise in a decade, who wants to show his support for the guy who made it happen by wearing a Swastika, is by default a Nazi simply for that reason? It's madness.
It would be madness if anyone equated deportation with gas chambers. Pure madness.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:30 PM   #692
Belz...
Fiend God

What are you, some kind of Kaiju?

Old 22nd January 2019, 12:30 PM   #693
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Build the moat?
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:31 PM   #694
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I could be.

But think much longer. And more north.

Old 22nd January 2019, 12:31 PM   #695
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
He has a Light Sabre, and isn't afraid to use it.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:32 PM   #696
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Build the moat?
Build the dome.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:33 PM   #697
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Do you know his name? Do you know what state he lives in? Did you know that a week ago? Then he was "doxxed"
He ******* gave that information out willingly.

Seriously, did you read...anything?

ETA: It was on their shirts and he did an interview and willingly gave his name. Pretend you know what doxxing is because both sides are terrible at it.

Remember the woman who came out against the Judge? Doxxed. The 18 year old who got rape threats? Doxxed. The list goes on.

典here are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind. - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 22nd January 2019 at 12:41 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:38 PM   #698
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
CNN says they haven't found any, and by golly, you know they looked and looked for it.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:38 PM   #699
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well, it never existed, so I wouldn't know.

And do you mean "people on the right" or actual "right wingers"? The latter doesn't include moderates.
I'm talking about people I know who are conservative, Republican and voted for and like Trump. I call them right wing.

One friend is (privately) fervent and loud about it, but he doesn't imagine greatness with pure whiteness. I don't know any who do, but there probably are some out there. It wouldn't be making America great again to make it all-white as it never was that way when it was great. They'd have to agree and admit that they aren't talking about our past in America but instead some hypothetical or "if history were different" thing.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:41 PM   #700
baron

So a steel worker in 1930's Germany, who sees jobs returning to their industry and is in line for his biggest pay rise in a decade, who wants to show his support for the guy who made it happen by wearing a Swastika, is by default a Nazi simply for that reason? It's madness.
What's madness is equating Trump to Hitler. It demonstrates, at best, a total failure to recognise reality, replacing history and current events with a bizarre fantasy world no doubt obtained directly from Twitter.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:43 PM   #701
The Big Dog

The Claims that Phillips was a Vietnam War veteran are confirmed false

WaPo buries the fact that all the media jackasses braying that Nathan Phillips was a Vietnam war vet lied:

Correction: Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips served in the U.S. Marines from 1972 to 1976 but was never deployed to Vietnam.

Seems like a pretty big correction, huh?

The whole thing is a complete and total scam.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:45 PM   #702
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
He ******* gave that information out willingly.

Seriously, did you read...anything?

ETA: It was on their shirts and he did an interview and willingly gave his name. Pretend you know what doxxing is because both sides are terrible at it.

Remember the woman who came out against the Judge? Doxxed. The 18 year old who got rape threats? Doxxed. The list goes on.
He's a sheltered kid and doesn't realize just how dangerous many citizens of America really are. He'll grow and learn.

He wants America to be great (again) but underestimates the insanity which is walking our streets.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:45 PM   #703
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm talking about people I know who are conservative, Republican and voted for and like Trump. I call them right wing.
Well FYI that's not what it means, but now it's clearer to me. I meant actual right-wingers.

Old 22nd January 2019, 12:47 PM   #704
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

America was great back when you could say your own name on television and then go home to sleep with the door unlocked.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:48 PM   #705
plague311
Great minds think...

He's a sheltered kid and doesn't realize just how dangerous many citizens of America really are. He'll grow and learn.

He wants America to be great (again) but underestimates the insanity which is walking our streets.
That would fly if he didn't have lawyers helping him with this whole thing.

A sheltered kid? Miles from home at a pro abortion rally? Lol quick pull the other one.

ETA: did you tell his PR firm that he's a sheltered, scared little boy when they crafted his drawn out reply?

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...eo/2638400002/

典here are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind. - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 22nd January 2019 at 12:50 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:52 PM   #706
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

WaPo buries the fact that all the media jackasses braying that Nathan Phillips was a Vietnam war vet lied:

Correction: Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips served in the U.S. Marines from 1972 to 1976 but was never deployed to Vietnam.

Seems like a pretty big correction, huh?

The whole thing is a complete and total scam.
Philips never claimed he was a Vietnam War Veteran.

OTHERS claimed he was a Vietnam "era" Marine veteran - since he was in the Marines from 1972-76. The Vietnam War did not end until April 1975 so his service encompasses that era - they were not false claims

Just thought I'd clear that up for you!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:53 PM   #707
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well FYI that's not what it means, but now it's clearer to me. I meant actual right-wingers.
Oh, you are talking about people who only want whites in America. I call them actual white supremacists while you call them actual right-wingers. Ok.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:56 PM   #708
Drewbot
Philosopher

I remember when America was great and it was full of foreigners and immigrants. My own ancestors, two generations before me, were foreign immigrants.
America is a great place for immigrants.

I would bet that part of Trump's plan includes increasing levels of legal immigration.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:56 PM   #709
The Big Dog

OTHERS claimed he was a Vietnam "era" Marine veteran - since he was in the Marines from 1972-76. The Vietnam War did not end until April 1975 so his service encompasses that era - they were not false claims

Just thought I'd clear that up for you!
"Correction: Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips served in the U.S. Marines from 1972 to 1976 but was never deployed to Vietnam."

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status...24484278095872

Hoo boy..... why do people tell such easily disproved lies all the time?

The hoax is falling apart, thank god. Just thought I'd clear that up for you!

https://twitter.com/RepDebHaaland/st...62398071566337

No he didn't

Last edited by The Big Dog; 22nd January 2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:56 PM   #710
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
That would fly if he didn't have lawyers helping him with this whole thing.

A sheltered kid? Miles from home at a pro abortion rally? Lol quick pull the other one.

ETA: did you tell his PR firm that he's a sheltered, scared little boy when they crafted his drawn out reply?

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...eo/2638400002/
He's extremely sheltered if he thinks he can give his name on television and not have lunatics showing up at his door.

Extremely sheltered.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:59 PM   #711
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, you are talking about people who only want whites in America. I call them actual white supremacists while you call them actual right-wingers. Ok.
Er... no... that's... that's not at all what I'm talking about.

Seriously what is it with people on this forum today? Is this "make sure you disagree with everyone" day and someone forgot to tell me?

Old 22nd January 2019, 01:02 PM   #712
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Seriously what is it with people on this forum today? Is this "make sure you disagree with everyone" day and someone forgot to tell me?
Honestly I was having a little trouble discerning your point as well.

Is it just that there is a segment of conservatives that have no understanding of history and are racist?
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:04 PM   #713
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Hoo boy..... why do people tell such easily disproved lies all the time?
I would like to mention that there is a difference between being wrong and telling a lie. Even horrible lazy journalists who are wrong are not liars.

It's a critical difference and especially if someone is accused of lying who was instead in error.
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:05 PM   #714
Belz...
Fiend God

Honestly I was having a little trouble discerning your point as well.

Is it just that there is a segment of conservatives that have no understanding of history and are racist?
<sigh> Sorry, this is a tough day for getting my points across.

I'm simply making fun of people who think America used to be great, isn't anymore, and needs to be made great anymore, which usually involves some weird whiteopia nostalgic fantasy.

Old 22nd January 2019, 01:07 PM   #715
Thermal
Philosopher

The first CNN interview I saw, Phillips said he was a Vietnam era veteran. The press took off with that as Vietman Veteran. Sloppy maybe but not lying
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:07 PM   #716
baron

He did. He claimed that he was a 'Vietnam times veteran'. Now you can equivocate all you want, but to most people that means he's a Vietnam veteran.

If I say I survived 9/11 you expect me to have been in the towers. The fact I did survive it on account of being 3000 miles away is clearly not what I would have intended with that statement.

Stop defending this proven liar, trouble-maker and racist.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:08 PM   #717
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Just a little while ago you were talking about people who want America to be entirely white (again). I agree that those people are out there. I call them supremacists and you call them wingers. We are talking about the same people but we use different terms for them. It's ok.
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:09 PM   #718
The Big Dog

I would like to mention that there is a difference between being wrong and telling a lie. Even horrible lazy journalists who are wrong are not liars.

It's a critical difference and especially if someone is accused of lying who was instead in error.
I was referring to the claim in this thread "OTHERS claimed he was a Vietnam "era" Marine veteran" which was posted right after I posted a quote from WaPo showing that was totally false. But it finished with a jaunty "Just thought I'd clear that up for you!" self own for the ages.
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:13 PM   #719
baron

As good as. They didn't bother to investigate this claim initially because they were on 'his side'. It wasn't just laziness, they didn't want to hear the truth because that might spoil their narrative. Now, when the whole house of cards has come tumbling down, they're scrabbling to save face. Believe me, no mainstream media outlet would have corrected their claims if the whole story had not been proven to be BS.
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:15 PM   #720
Belz...
Fiend God

Just a little while ago you were talking about people who want America to be entirely white (again).
I was just making fun of the idea of MAGA and rolling with the joke while "countering" your posts. There's really no need to take the conversation this far or get lost in pedantics.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics