ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 21st February 2019, 08:38 PM   #1961
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes, I know both jobs fall a larger set. That doesn't answer my question.

I think civil complaints should be different than criminal complaints. And in many ways, they obviously are. Evidentiary standards are often more relaxed in civil suits. It wouldn't surprise me if those differences extended to more leeway on stylistic matters as well.

Perhaps. But this is basically a subjective evaluation. What's the legal significance? Is there any at all?

None at all. It was a comment as to how I viewed my first reading of the suit. It seems to set off the partisan side of certain posters.

And there are differences in different sorts of legal filings/suits and there is far more leeway given under Tort law, but that's where it's amateurish. He takes advantage of that leeway and makes a stump speech itemizing everything he can find on Nathan, but not connecting that to the claim. So, I'll ameliorate my previous claim/question. Yes, the content and the formats will be different in different courts/cases. (Actually, that's not an amelioration but essentially a withdrawal of a worthless point.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 08:47 PM   #1962
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It is stupid and amateurish as a legal tactic. That's why I made the parallel to Orly Taitz. It's a position paper masquerading as a lawsuit. Including any video, with the subsequent expectation that a court should go to Youtube is stupid and amateurish.
It is the kind of lawsuit you would expect from Avenatti.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 08:59 PM   #1963
The Big Dog

None at all. It was a comment as to how I viewed my first reading of the suit. It seems to set off the partisan side of certain posters.

And there are differences in different sorts of legal filings/suits and there is far more leeway given under Tort law, but that's where it's amateurish. He takes advantage of that leeway and makes a stump speech itemizing everything he can find on Nathan, but not connecting that to the claim. So, I'll ameliorate my previous claim/question. Yes, the content and the formats will be different in different courts/cases. (Actually, that's not an amelioration but essentially a withdrawal of a worthless point.)
It is like someone deliberately stabbing pins in us.

Say, FMW, why don’t you regale us with how exactly far more leeway is given to legal filings under “tort” law than say, well any other kind of civil filing?

/he has no idea what he is talking about... witness the nonsense about first reading that was inflicted upon innocent readers earlier... painful...
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 09:18 PM   #1964
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It is like someone deliberately stabbing pins in us.

Say, FMW, why don’t you regale us with how exactly far more leeway is given to legal filings under “tort” law than say, well any other kind of civil filing?

/he has no idea what he is talking about... witness the nonsense about first reading that was inflicted upon innocent readers earlier... painful...
I think you mis-spelled "Here are my itemized findings as to the 144 valid points raised in the suit: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8... "

What is it that YOU find "not stupid" or "not amateurish" about the suit? Please entertain us with something that's you own work and stop stalling until you can steal someone else's. Since it's getting late there in flyover country, maybe you want to sleep on it and stop trying to think up clever insults.

Perhaps, for the record, you'd like to cite your excellent analysis of the Stormy Daniels case and how the courts would reassign it to arbitration. As I recall you got zero suppositions correct and the judge didn't actually do anything you excellently analyzed he would have to do according to law.

On my side of the argument we have MY OPINION, which I've explained, that the suit is amateurish and stupid. On your side we have "Is not. And you're a poopy head and I'm not answering you."

/he has no idea what he's talking about. We're in the early stages of TBD Pretends where he has to stall until someone who knows the law can publish something he can cherry pick from. There will be no itemized commentary but lot's of smarmy dodging tactics.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 21st February 2019 at 09:20 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 09:42 PM   #1965
The Big Dog

There was literally no question whatsoever that our correspondent was going to support the claim that “And there are differences in different sorts of legal filings/suits and there is far more leeway given under Tort law.”

No chance.

The complaint is of course well pleaded.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:35 AM   #1966
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

There was literally no question whatsoever that our correspondent was going to support the claim that “And there are differences in different sorts of legal filings/suits and there is far more leeway given under Tort law.”

No chance.

The complaint is of course well pleaded.
What are you going on about, other than distracting from your inability to come up with a precis on the merits of the case. Your butchering of the English language is hampered by your need to put cute terms in sentences. Try plain English.

What is you want supported or explained? Who is "our correspondent"? Is that cute wording for "Foolmewunz"? Does that keep you out of the penalty box?

If you'll explain what clever trap you think you're laying I'll try to help you get an answer but I can't actually tell what you're saying. i.e. are you harping on the fact that I made an error in not properly identifying the leeway given in suits under tort law? I already said that. Leeway is not "feel free to submit fifty-seven pages of irrelevant background data on a person not party to the suit.

Old 22nd February 2019, 04:21 AM   #1967
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

This seems to have set off the partisan side of a certain poster.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:10 AM   #1968
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Broad suit, but a narrow issue

Although mostly "unconvinced" of the merits of the suit, Robby Soave wrote, "This strikes me as potential grounds for a libel claim. It may indeed be considered a statement of fact rather than opinion, and one that was incorrect. The false assertion certainly portrays Sandmann in a negative light, and The Post made little effort to corroborate it before the author went ahead and subjected a previously unknown teenage boy to all the negative publicity that comes with being the subject of hit piece in a major media outlet. But this is far from open and shut, as the media's failures in the Covington case, while substantial, are more open to interpretation than Rolling Stone's failures in the Virginia story." Reason.

I am not a lawyer, but the suit struck me as being all over the map. However, the fact that Sandmann is a minor and that may be considered a private figure may work in his favor.
EDT
"'Ironically, other outfits were even more wildly off the mark, but the Post appears to be the designated defendant,' Jonathan Turley, a professor at George Washington University Law School, said in an email to Vox." Vox's own take is that, "the truth is that we’re never going to know exactly what happened that day." This strikes me as being misguided at best, disingenuous at worst. Although people's motivations at the time may be difficult to discern, the events themselves were clearer.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 22nd February 2019 at 05:20 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:13 AM   #1969
The Big Dog

Ma opinion is as good as the next man. Jus' because I'm not book smart like you Chicaggy make believe lawyers, don't mean I cain't have ma opinion. It's a free country..
Your butchering of the English language is hampered by your need to put cute terms in sentences. Try plain English.
Falls over dead, I was literally murdered by words...

after someone writes this:

"Ma opinion is as good as the next man. Jus' because I'm not book smart like you Chicaggy make believe lawyers, don't mean I cain't have ma opinion."

Say this about another poster:

"Your butchering of the English language is hampered by your need to put cute terms in sentences. Try plain English."

Fantstic!

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:18 AM   #1970
Belz...
Fiend God

Curtains. Applause.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:49 AM   #1971
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

None at all.
OK.

Quote:
It was a comment as to how I viewed my first reading of the suit. It seems to set off the partisan side of certain posters.

And there are differences in different sorts of legal filings/suits and there is far more leeway given under Tort law, but that's where it's amateurish. He takes advantage of that leeway and makes a stump speech itemizing everything he can find on Nathan, but not connecting that to the claim.
I suspect that much of the filing was targeted at the general public, not just the court. There is value to the client in changing public perception, regardless of what happens in the courtroom. I'm not a PR expert, and can't predict exactly how that filing will play out, but the target audience probably isn't just the judge, and at least in principle I don't have any problem with that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:24 AM   #1972
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
OK.

I suspect that much of the filing was targeted at the general public, not just the court. There is value to the client in changing public perception, regardless of what happens in the courtroom. I'm not a PR expert, and can't predict exactly how that filing will play out, but the target audience probably isn't just the judge, and at least in principle I don't have any problem with that.
Remember, there is a jury demand, and the trier of fact at trial will not be the Judge. Our intrepid correspondent is totally over his skis, raising completely insignificant, niggling and wrong objections to the pleading.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:15 AM   #1973
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Remember, there is a jury demand, and the trier of fact at trial will not be the Judge. Our intrepid correspondent is totally over his skis, raising completely insignificant, niggling and wrong objections to the pleading.
You haven't finished with your analysis, yet. The TBD crowd outside is getting restless. Show your work! Show your work! Show your work!

Here's something for others to discuss in the interim.... Will Bezos' attorneys have the case moved? I'm betting they will.

Old 22nd February 2019, 10:36 AM   #1974
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

This
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:39 AM   #1975
The Big Dog

You haven't finished with your analysis, yet. The TBD crowd outside is getting restless. Show your work! Show your work! Show your work!

Here's something for others to discuss in the interim.... Will Bezos' attorneys have the case moved? I'm betting they will.
Yeah, I have finished my analysis which is that the objections you have raised to it are spectacularly frivolous.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:56 AM   #1976
sackett
Philosopher

Yeah, I have finished my analysis which is that the objections you have raised to it are spectacularly frivolous.

Predictable.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:13 PM   #1977
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Even if you could say the kid has a case for libel, how can you argue that there were more than nominal damages?
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:18 PM   #1978
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Predictable.
amen my brother!

Our correspondent keeps making frivolous claims, I destroy them, so they make new claims, which get destroyed, rinse repeat, all the while ignoring the fact that their arguments are getting destroyed.

Oh well.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:57 PM   #1979
The Big Dog

Multicultural Solidarity Coalition (sorry, straight white men not you) soil themselves over a poster or two of a teenage white boy:

We are scared!!

Gee, they reached into the deck and pulled out the race card*

*the whole deck is race cards
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:15 PM   #1980
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

An essay from last month on the issues surrounding a suit

From Eugene Volockh: "Likewise, even if the negligence test applies, say that, when an accusation was posted, the poster reasonably believed it to be true -- but then learned of facts that would lead a reasonable person to no longer believe that. If the poster refuses to take down the post even then, can the plaintiff argue that keeping the post up is negligent, or does it matter only whether the defendant was negligent when he initially posted?

Surprisingly, that is not a well-settled question; the cases are split, and there are good arguments on both sides."
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:27 PM   #1981
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
From Eugene Volockh: "Likewise, even if the negligence test applies, say that, when an accusation was posted, the poster reasonably believed it to be true -- but then learned of facts that would lead a reasonable person to no longer believe that. If the poster refuses to take down the post even then, can the plaintiff argue that keeping the post up is negligent, or does it matter only whether the defendant was negligent when he initially posted?

Surprisingly, that is not a well-settled question; the cases are split, and there are good arguments on both sides."
Even if you could say the kid has a case for libel, how can you argue that there were more than nominal damages? No one has addressed this. Even if the Post was negligent, what kind of settlement would be justified? Is the kid damaged so much that this incident was so destructive that he should be paid the monster sum of 250 million dollars? And then what do we do about Alex Jones who was not only reckless, he fabricated his malicious story?
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:30 PM   #1982
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Even if you could say the kid has a case for libel, how can you argue that there were more than nominal damages?
I know you always ask in a law suit for more then you know you will get in the end, but in this case,250 Million seems really excessive.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 22nd February 2019 at 04:33 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:59 PM   #1983
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I know you always ask in a law suit for more then you know you will get in the end, but in this case,250 Million seems really excessive.
It's not just excessive, it's absurd. I think it would be very hard to prove there were damages at all.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:40 PM   #1984
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

actual malice

It's not just excessive, it's absurd. I think it would be very hard to prove there were damages at all.
Given the initial responses, I respectfully disagree. Beyond the "punchable" face comment and the like, there was also the closing of the school owing to threats. From what I can gather, going after punitive damages makes it more difficult for the plaintiffs to prevail. "If Sandmann were only seeking compensation for damages done — not punitive damages — his attorneys would have to prove a lower standard: negligence, or that a reporter acted carelessly, rather than with actual malice. But the lawsuit filed Wednesday seeks $50 million for damages done — and $200 million more in punitive damages." Vice

I would agree that the amount of money seems excessive. However, the reporting from the Post was poor. "So I decided to re-read the Post‘s first story on the Sandmann-Phillips incident. After all, it couldn’t be that bad. Oh, but it was...From there, the article degenerates into a something akin to the murder of Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, as people and groups come forward one by one to sink their knives into Sandmann." American Conservative.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 22nd February 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:42 PM   #1985
Stout
Illuminator

Multicultural Solidarity Coalition (sorry, straight white men not you) soil themselves over a poster or two of a teenage white boy:

We are scared!!

That's Nick Sandmann ? Jeeez, at first glance I thought it was an ad for Zig-Zag rolling papers.

I thought ASU students were the ones triggered by a post it note before the election. Turns out I was wrong, ASU students were the ones traumatized by Trumps win with 25% of them reporting 'clinically significant' levels of stress.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:57 PM   #1986
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Given the initial responses, I respectfully disagree. Beyond the "punchable" face comment and the like, there was also the closing of the school owing to threats. From what I can gather, going after punitive damages makes it more difficult for the plaintiffs to prevail. "If Sandmann were only seeking compensation for damages done — not punitive damages — his attorneys would have to prove a lower standard: negligence, or that a reporter acted carelessly, rather than with actual malice. But the lawsuit filed Wednesday seeks $50 million for damages done — and $200 million more in punitive damages." Vice

I would agree that the amount of money seems excessive. However, the reporting from the Post was poor. "So I decided to re-read the Post‘s first story on the Sandmann-Phillips incident. After all, it couldn’t be that bad. Oh, but it was...From there, the article degenerates into a something akin to the murder of Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, as people and groups come forward one by one to sink their knives into Sandmann." American Conservative.
But that really doesn't show what the damages are to a 17 year old high school student. It's not like you can point to a lost job/spouse and friends. At best we're talking about some emotional distress for a couple of days. We're not talking much about actual damages but how you might punish the Post for being reckless.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:04 PM   #1987
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It's not just excessive, it's absurd.
Absurd, bizarre, ridiculous, and oh so US American.

I said many years ago that the US won't go down with a bang, nor with a whimper, but in a welter of litigation. The first country ever to sue itself into oblivion.

I blame the written constitution. Not the Constitution, as written, but in principle. The US was born hostage to lawyers.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:04 PM   #1988
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

We are scared!!

I thought you were going a little overboard with the hyperbole, until I clicked that link. Wow. The students being "still in fear" reminds me of some of my favorite Frank Zappa lyrics:

Maybe you should stay with yo' mama
She could do your laundry 'n' cook for you
You're really kinda stupid 'n' ugly too

You ain't really made for bein' out in the street
Ain't much hope for a fool like you
'Cause if you play the game, you will get beat

(source)

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 22nd February 2019 at 06:26 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:13 PM   #1989
The Big Dog

Maybe the scumbags who demonized the teenage boy can take up a go fund me for the lying goofs who spread the race grifters lies.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 22nd February 2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Auto censor sucks
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:19 PM   #1990
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

But that really doesn't show what the damages are to a 17 year old high school student.
Who knows what the future holds? In 2021 Trump might be hosting The Apprentice again, and this kid's a shoe-in for an appearance.

Quote:
It's not like you can point to a lost job/spouse and friends.
He might get his friends to give evidence they don't like him any more because of the coverage. And how they communally roofied and boofed his girlfriend as a result. Heck, his friends could sue for traumatic damage caused by the burden of shame for such behaviour they might carry in the future.

Quote:
At best we're talking about some emotional distress for a couple of days.
In my day it was all done and dusted in 15 minutes max.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:23 PM   #1991
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I thought you were going a little overboard with the hyperbole, until I clicked that link. Wow. The students being "still in fear" reminds me of some of my favorite Frank Zappa lyrics:

She could do your laundry 'n' cook for you
You're really kinda stupid 'n' ugly too

You ain't really made for bein' out in the street
Ain't much hope for a fool like you
'Cause if you play the game, you will get beat
You can't go wrong with Zappa. He even had Trump down, of course :

"Hey there people, I'm Bobby Brown ..."

Old 22nd February 2019, 06:25 PM   #1992
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the scumbags who demonized the teenage boy can take up a go fund me for the lying goofs who spread the race grifters lies.
I noticed you don't address the question about what the actual damages to this kid were.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:55 PM   #1993
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You really are feeling the walls closing in around you, aren't you?

I knew this would happen, when you and your ilk were braying about having all the power in January 2016. All that power, all that winning to come, and here you are engaged in some of the saddest displacement activity I've seen in my lifetime.

No power means a damn' thing if it doesn't engage with reality, and the GOP doesn't. It can cancel Obamacare if that doesn't engage with reality, but they can't cancel it when it would. Thus proving themselves to be utterly inane. All it took was the opportunity, something most of us were well aware of.

Your own inanity you demonstrate by your retreat from strutting "We have all the power" across the bandwidth to whining about ... well, just whining generally.

Old 22nd February 2019, 06:56 PM   #1994
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Chris,
I appreciate that you're looking at the merits of the claim but unless a WaPo writer made that claim ("punchable face") that point is like the hundred others that show that bad people did bad things and that dumb people did dumb things. For damages under tort law you don't have to prove the slander/libel standard of "intent" but have to show that the plaintiff suffered damages and THAT THE DEFENDANT CAUSED THOSE DAMAGES. The case they're making on that latter part is very weak so they've gone on a gish gallop to show the former. Their contentions, and they are visible in the filing that TBD won't review and you obviously have, are that WaPo recklessly smeared the kid, motivated by their desire to be "the big dog" in the Get Trump Movement and beat the other reprobates (NYT and CNN) to the story.

While the latter part of the requirement is where they will fail miserably(IMHO), the former part hasn't really been proven. If he and his handlers have licensed his image for those posters, for instance... If he goes on the political stump for Trump. Writes a book. Whatever. All of that goes against the claim. Was he a straight A student with a full scholarship to Dartmouth but so traumatized that he failed the SATs? Stuff like that. I'd also suggest he not enjoy himself doing anything, from bowling to junior prom night, to orienteering or cupcake baking. The Post's lawyers won't be following him around - they won't have to - every clickbait rag in the country is going to be looking at them, 24/7.

This is not, although the attorney's trying desperately, a political issue. The culprits behind this are Twitter and Youtube. They have no standards of proof and allow fake accounts through multiple back doors, all in the interests of making money. The culprits are the gullible public that jumped on it and sent the ridiculous initial story out to dozens of friends or hundreds of followers. The claimants would have to prove that the Post caused all of that rather than just being the journal that covered it.

I was onto this story early and was one of the first voices to say "Whoa, my lefty brethren! Look at what really happened here!" As I said way back then, I don't doubt that their chanting was disrespectful and racist (let's not get into the XIV Revised Tomahawk Chant Debates), but the claims that the kids started the whole thing were nonsensical and the stuff of convenient editing. I also staked out the earliest claim that the Great Peacemaker was completely misguided. It's his career. It's how he sees the world. Larger group of white kids, the appearance of a contretemps between them and the poor downtrodden black brothers? He saw it through his own biased filters. He saw it wrong. In hindsight, he also doubled down by making up nonsense that was counter to the physical evidence.

Claim against Nathan? Sure. Twenty-seven dollars and change. Claim against the tribal participant who posted the initial snippet of video? Sure. Another fifty bucks.

This case may need to go into the Legal Beagle Sub-Forum. It will play out for years. If you look at his previous cases, none were settled quickly. Once Trump is out of office, no one's going to care.

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:00 PM   #1995
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

These race grifters : are these the people who characterised Mexican immigrants as murderers and rapists shipped across the border by the Mexican government?

One teenage boy demonized, and you have him in your heart. All those Dreamers, and I ask you, what were their parents thinking? Talk about abdication of responsibility.

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:05 PM   #1996
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Chris,
I appreciate that you're looking at the merits of the claim but unless a WaPo writer made that claim ("punchable face") ...
Has that not even been established? This involves published material, not secret stuff. How hard can it be to establish the published words of a journalist?

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:15 PM   #1997
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

after someone writes this:

"Ma opinion is as good as the next man. Jus' because I'm not book smart like you Chicaggy make believe lawyers, don't mean I cain't have ma opinion."

Say this about another poster:

"Your butchering of the English language is hampered by your need to put cute terms in sentences. Try plain English."

Fantstic!

Do you think I actually write like that? Do you not recognize dialect when you see it? You're not as dumb as you pretend to be, so I know you realize that it was a rhetorical device.

See? That's called mockery. That's the same comment the idiots you support make all the time. Everyone else got it. Unlike your egregious torturing of the English language, I didn't post in a hurry and accidentally slip into the way I really speak.

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:38 PM   #1998
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post

I knew this would happen, when you and your ilk were braying about having all the power in January 2016. All that power, all that winning to come, and here you are engaged in some of the saddest displacement activity I've seen in my lifetime.

No power means a damn' thing if it doesn't engage with reality, and the GOP doesn't. It can cancel Obamacare if that doesn't engage with reality, but they can't cancel it when it would. Thus proving themselves to be utterly inane. All it took was the opportunity, something most of us were well aware of.

Your own inanity you demonstrate by your retreat from strutting "We have all the power" across the bandwidth to whining about ... well, just whining generally.
None of that had the slightest thing to do with what I wrote, although I absolutely appreciate someone from the minor colony of a second rate power lecturing us
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:41 PM   #1999
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:47 PM   #2000
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkp...ature=youtu.be

remember, leftists have declared that it is STUPID!
I don't know whether it's good or bad from a legal perspective, but it's pretty powerful. It brought out at least one thing I hadn't seen before, which was Nick Sandmann telling one of his classmates to chill when he started getting into it with the Native American guy who was wearing a red hat. That guy was a pretty major league git, in my humble opinion, and Sandmann was cool.

I also never knew that Sandmann was standing on a step, one level above Phillips, during the confrontation. In addition to changing the perspective, and not realizing how small Sandmann was, it also puts a different spin on why Sandmann didn't step back from Phillips. He would have had to go up the stairs, backwards, to do so.

There was nothing else new to me on the video, but it just was a very well done piece. I don't know enough about how lawyers prepare lawsuits to say whether its inclusion was appropriate, or very powerful, or stupid.

One thing that I am certain of is that Nick Sandmann in particular and the Covington Catholic kids in general were unfairly maligned and a lot of false and damaging things were said about Nick and about his schoolmates. It was really bad. On the other hand, it wasn't so bad that Nick Sandmann deserves to become a rich man as a result of what happened. We shouldn't be talking about multi-million dollar lawsuits. Wouldn't it be nice if a halfway decent lawyer would be willing to take the case, and demand a small settlement to cover legal fees, plus a front page or prime time apology from the media outlets who libeled him?

I think justice would be served if Anderson Cooper came on one night and said, "We need to begin tonight with an apology. CNN failed to do due diligence in investigating a story in January. As a result, we published some false information and many of our reporters said damaging things about him."

Maybe WAPO, CNN, etc, could even pool their money together to provide a free ride scholarship to any school he is qualified to attend. That would be a pretty sweet deal for a 16 year old.

But this is America, so there has to be a multi million dollar lawsuit.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics