ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:06 AM   #681
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have made no comment on Charles's comments, just Greta's interpretation and her belief.

Or are you saying she didn't what he said wrong, and misinterpret it?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 2nd September 2019 at 03:08 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:14 AM   #682
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I have made no comment on Charles's comments, just Greta's interpretation and her belief.

Or are you saying she didn't what he said wrong, and misinterpret it?
You provided her tweet as evidence to support your comment.

It doesn't support your comment.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:20 AM   #683
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You provided her tweet as evidence to support your comment.

It doesn't support your comment.
No I posted a tweet of hers which shows what she believes Charlie said and endorsing it.

You can't have it both ways.

Either that is what she believes and she just posted what she thought Charlie was saying

Or posted it not agreeing with what it says with zero added note she doesn't believe it.

Which one?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:29 AM   #684
Worm
Illuminator

I have no real idea whether she believes Charles or not. I don't really care. I don't really care what Charles thinks. He's got a pretty mixed record in terms of science, and I take everything he says with a massive dose of salt.

I do take some issue with the Telegraph's wording though, when you read his actual comments, they were far less 'panic!' than the headline implies.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; 2nd September 2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: speeling
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:53 AM   #685
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

No I posted a tweet of hers which shows what she believes Charlie said and endorsing it.

You can't have it both ways.

Either that is what she believes and she just posted what she thought Charlie was saying

Or posted it not agreeing with what it says with zero added note she doesn't believe it.

Which one?
You posted:

Quote:
I take them more seriously than a 16 year old, and while there is vast consensus among them the climate is changing, as it is obvious, there isn't vast consensus life will be wiped out if the temperature changes 1 degree, or that we have 18 months to stop earth being destroyed.
As far as I can tell those are not Greta Thunberg's view - certainly if she agrees with Prince Charles then it isn't.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:17 AM   #686
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You posted:

As far as I can tell those are not Greta Thunberg's view - certainly if she agrees with Prince Charles then it isn't.
This is getting tedious

People on this thread have been saying the world would be stuffed if the temperature went up 1 degree. Which is my first point in that post.

The second is her tweet endorsing Greta's view of what she thinks Charlie said.

Man will die if we don't do something within 18 months.

Now seriously, do you think she misunderstood him, but believes it and promotes man will die if nothing is done in 18 months, or do you think she disagrees with him but tweeted it any way with nothing saying she doesn't.

It isn't that hard.

Just answer the question

Old 2nd September 2019, 04:24 AM   #687
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

You posted:

Seriously. Don't bother.

Cullenz has decided that he is happy in his ignorance of climate change. Just leave it at that.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:27 AM   #688
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Seriously. Don't bother.

Cullenz has decided that he is happy in his ignorance of climate change. Just leave it at that.
Got it.

She is the second coming and nothing she tweets should be questioned

Old 2nd September 2019, 04:36 AM   #689
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I kind of think it is
How much extra energy does that represent in the atmosphere?
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:45 AM   #690
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Got it.

She is the second coming and nothing she tweets should be questioned
Your strawmen are really now nothing but lies since you've had them corrected so many times. It isn't difficult to admit you made a mistake, you didn't know anything but you made a comment, and you aren't able support your comments.
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:55 AM   #691
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your strawmen are really now nothing but lies since you've had them corrected so many times. It isn't difficult to admit you made a mistake, you didn't know anything but you made a comment, and you aren't able support your comments.

With all due respect Darat

I am not the one endorsing her interpretation of Charlies thoughts in a tweet to promote them to kids her own age.

That man will be wiped out if nothing is done in 18 months.

If you can't read that in her tweet I am at a loss, but if you think that is a good thing to tell kids then that is your imperative

Old 2nd September 2019, 06:01 AM   #692
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

With all due respect Darat

I am not the one endorsing her interpretation of Charlies thoughts in a tweet to promote them to kids her own age.

That man will be wiped out if nothing is done in 18 months.

If you can't read that in her tweet I am at a loss, but if you think that is a good thing to tell kids then that is your imperative
That isn't the conclusion of Prince Charles' remarks, the Daily Telegraph's hyperbolic version of his remarks or Greta Thunberg's tweet of the Telegraph version.
Old 2nd September 2019, 06:03 AM   #693
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This is getting tedious

People on this thread have been saying the world would be stuffed if the temperature went up 1 degree. Which is my first point in that post.

The second is her tweet endorsing Greta's view of what she thinks Charlie said.

Now seriously, do you think she misunderstood him, but believes it and promotes man will die if nothing is done in 18 months, or do you think she disagrees with him but tweeted it any way with nothing saying she doesn't.

It isn't that hard.

Just answer the question
Prince Charles never said that, the Daily Telegraph didn't say that, Greta Thunberg didn't say that. Whey do you keep insisting that one or all of them did ?
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:27 AM   #694
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Prince Charles never said that, the Daily Telegraph didn't say that, Greta Thunberg didn't say that. Whey do you keep insisting that one or all of them did ?
Because that’s all deniers have. They can’t argue the science because they are wilfully or otherwise are ignorant of it, so build gigantic straw men.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:03 AM   #695
crescent
Illuminator

If man and animals can live in Marble Bar, where they had 171 days straight days not lower than 37.8°C (100F), I am pretty sure with all of mans mind power, we and animals and plants, can survive 1 degree higher variance in most other places.
How wealthy is Marble Bar? Developed-world standard, or Third-world standard? It makes an ENORMOUS difference.

I lived in Death Valley, CA for five years. We averaged about 35 days a year with temps above 120 F, we went about a 100 days in row getting above 100. So not as bad as Marble Bar, but still pretty hot - even though you exaggerated how hot Marble Bar was at the time - it got above 100 degrees F every day for 171 days, but didn't stay above 100 every day for 171 days, it cooled down at night.

Before that I lived two years in the Nepali Terai, the part of Nepal that borders India and is down on the Gangetic Plain. Not nearly so hot as Death Valley, the temps topped out around 108 F.

And I gotta tell you, I suffered from the heat in the Terai far, far worse than I did in much-hotter Death Valley. It wasn't even close - the Terai was much less hot, and people suffered much more from the heat there.

Because they were poor. I knew of two buildings that had Air Conditioning - the offices of the Electrical utility, and the shop that developed film - neither one let you in if you didn't have a reason for being there. There was no other escape from the heat, at all. Just fans to blow the hot humid air around. A few people had evaporative coolers, but those didn't do much in air that was already humid. When it got to the worst heat, everybody who had electricity (less than half the population) turned on their fans, which drew down the power supply such that the fans all went slow, very slow. I have nightmares of dim, dim lights, watching the blades on my fan barely moving at all, while making dinner over the kerosene stove - and I was much better off than the average person living in the Terai, since I had electricity and could cook over kerosene instead of a wood fire.

Two years later, in Death Valley, I had a nice little truck and little apartment, both with AC. Fieldwork was brutal, but I knew I could get out of the heat if I needed to. That was never an option in the Terai.

So when you think about how it will be in the big, big poor cities of Asia, South America, Africa, you know that people will die there. In Rio, Delhi, Mumbai, Karachi, Cairo. By the thousands, millions. And they are going to die angry at the developed world for doing this to them. They could give F-all about the people who lived in Marble Bar a century ago. We're going to see some big, heavily populated cities full of fury and anger at the developed world, and it might come back to bite us. So what if it does not happen in the next eighteen months? So what if the feedback loops don't kick in for another twenty years, or not at all? I have kids - in their lifetime, in the lifetimes of any grandkids they may have, there will be enormous human suffering, possibly enough to really destabilize things even in the developed nations. I don't want to leave that sort of legacy behind.

ETA: And no, I am not predicting the extinction of the human race or any other such nonsense. I am not predicting that these big cities will become unlivable, or even that the majority of the populations will die. But really, the deaths of a ten thousand or a hundred thousand in a city of ten or twenty million is still pretty atrocious suffering.

Last edited by crescent; 2nd September 2019 at 10:46 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:26 AM   #696
catsmate
No longer the 1

You seem very good at criticising posters and very little on detail.
Says the person who refused to educate himself.

Do you agree with the 16 year old that we only have 18 months to save man or not?
Strawman. Yet again.
Pathetic.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:04 PM   #697
Stout
Illuminator

So who here is interested i following Thunberg's lead and making a public deceleration vowing never to fly again ?

Fun fact...Emma Thompson's return flight flight from LA to London, where she told us to use less fossil fuels, generated just enough CO2 to drown a baby polar bear. It's true I saw the whole thing while I was flying around in my helicopter. The poor thing was only milimeters away from hauling itself to safety and had that ice floe been that much bigger, well then I guess I wouldn't have a teeny tiny white rug.

But hey, at least she got people talking about climate change and, as we all know, talking about climate change is much much more important than actually adjusting your lifestyle in order to help out in this climate emergency.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:14 PM   #698
Arcade22
Philosopher

This is getting tedious

No they didn't. Stop lying about what people said just to try and make your own ignorant posts seem reasonable. It's not working and you are only digging the hole you've gotten yourself stuck in deeper.
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:26 PM   #699
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
No they didn't. Stop lying about what people said just to try and make your own ignorant posts seem reasonable. It's not working and you are only digging the hole you've gotten yourself stuck in deeper.
Fair point

The wording was it would be a "disaster"

Quote:
A difference of 1.18 degrees average temperature in England was a disaster.

And we are not talking about 1 degree, but two or three. London becoming as hot as Sydney if my maths is right

Old 2nd September 2019, 03:54 PM   #700
Arcade22
Philosopher

Fair point

Are you denying that it would have, globally speaking, disastrous consequences? Last time you dismissed the effects of an increase in global average temperature by pointing out that you were still alive, as if that was supposed to prove something.
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:01 PM   #701
crescent
Illuminator

Fair point

Hurricanes and tornadoes cause disasters - yet we don't dismiss them simply because they don't kill everybody in the areas they go through.

Your hyperbole is just another strawman argument.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 05:53 PM   #702
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

When does Woman die in this scenario?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:29 PM   #703
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
So who here is interested i following Thunberg's lead and making a public deceleration vowing never to fly again ?
I can't speak for anyone here, but in Scandinavia, and especially in Thunberg's Sweden, flights are down and train rides are up.

Greta Thunberg is considered to be one of the main reasons behind the change.

Quote:
Echoing the schoolgirl climate activist Greta Thunberg’s refusal to fly because of the harm to the environment, a survey published last week by Swedish Railways (SJ) found 37% of respondents chose to travel by rail instead of air, compared with 26% last autumn and 20% in early 2018.

SJ said the shift was evident in its passenger numbers: the total number of journeys on its network rose by 5% last year to 31.8m, but then by a further 8% in the first quarter of this year, with business trips surging 12%.

The trend was also apparent in recent figures from Swedavia, which operates Sweden’s 10 busiest airports. The company said domestic passenger numbers fell by 8% from January to April, following a 3% fall in the whole of 2018.

For the first time, climate impact tops travellers’ reasons for choosing the train. “Rail travel is soaring thanks to climate fears,” said an SJ spokesman, Tobbe Lundell, adding that the operator was boosting capacity, particularly on longer routes such as between Stockholm, Malmö and Gothenburg.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-flight-shame
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:14 PM   #704
Stout
Illuminator

Well good on the Swedes for at least starting to think about it.

I went to confirm that up to 24 hour train journey claim made in the article ( Stockholm to Paris ) and...holy crap is that ever a cheap flight. I'd be looking at 5X the price(s) I found for a flight o similar duration within Canada.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:01 AM   #705
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I can't speak for anyone here, but in Scandinavia, and especially in Thunberg's Sweden, flights are down and train rides are up.

Flights are being canceled here, as well. But that is mainly due to the 737Max being pulled.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:20 PM   #706
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
When does Woman die in this scenario?
In the Year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive.
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 05:17 PM   #707
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

It has not stopped my parents from going on vacation throughout the Mediterranean like once every quarter of the year. Many of our relatives also go on vacation quite often.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:57 PM   #708
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It has not stopped my parents from going on vacation throughout the Mediterranean like once every quarter of the year. Many of our relatives also go on vacation quite often.
Most of the change cited from flights to trains was regarding internal Swedish travel.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:41 PM   #709
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

The ISF® - Your First Choice In Echo Chambers of Bad Ideas™
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 02:42 PM   #710
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Go ahead - elucidate your bad ideas.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 06:25 AM   #711
dann
Philosopher

She was on The Daily Show, talking about her zero-emission boat trip:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 09:14 AM   #712
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
The ISF® - Your First Choice In Echo Chambers of Bad Ideas™
Is there a point buried under this blob of seagull crap?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:02 AM   #713
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-enough-sorry

Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swedish activist who has galvanized young people across the world to strike for more action to combat the impact of global warming, politely reminded them [the Senate climate crisis task force] that she was a student, not a scientist – or a senator.

“Please save your praise. We don’t want it,” she said. “Don’t invite us here to just tell us how inspiring we are without actually doing anything about it because it doesn’t lead to anything.

“If you want advice for what you should do, invite scientists, ask scientists for their expertise. We don’t want to be heard. We want the science to be heard.”
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:06 AM   #714
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Clearly biased:

she wants a habitable world for herself after the people in Congress have died off.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:34 AM   #715
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-enough-sorry

Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swedish activist who has galvanized young people across the world to strike for more action to combat the impact of global warming, politely reminded them [the Senate climate crisis task force] that she was a student, not a scientist – or a senator.

“Please save your praise. We don’t want it,” she said. “Don’t invite us here to just tell us how inspiring we are without actually doing anything about it because it doesn’t lead to anything.

“If you want advice for what you should do, invite scientists, ask scientists for their expertise. We don’t want to be heard. We want the science to be heard.”
What a class act she is.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:18 AM   #716
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What a class act she is.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Two class acts.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 09:57 AM   #717
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Rather neatly handles the whole "why should we listen to this [insert implied-negative descriptor here]?" argument.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 10:52 AM   #718
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What a class act she is.
Her presence is an embarrassment for her and everyone in the room. She is not a scientist. She is taking up a seat where one should be.

ETA: I changed my mind. Her clown show is a perfect fit in the circus that is Congress.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 18th September 2019 at 10:54 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:04 AM   #719
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

14 Year-Old Girl: Don't listen to me, listen to scientists!

Congress: Hold my beer.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:22 AM   #720
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Her presence is an embarrassment for her and everyone in the room. She is not a scientist. She is taking up a seat where one should be.
That moment when BobTheCoward agrees 100% with Thunberg's message.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events