ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 16th November 2019, 10:01 PM   #2841
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
You don't buy how much of the right wing attacks on Thunberg are to discredit her cause? Otherwise who would care so much about this one 16 year old?
All the criticism of her methods are from the right wing?

Or do you just think more of the criticisms are from the right wing, which I would agree with?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 10:30 PM   #2842
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
But none get her
You are right! I carelessly misspoke. There is one conservative, living in a yurt in Mongolian, who gets her. Sorry to generalize.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 10:35 PM   #2843
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You are right! I carelessly misspoke. There is one conservative, living in a yurt in Mongolian, who gets her. Sorry to generalize.
Sorry, but we had a conservative government who signed the french agreement and spent shed loads on subsidising insulating houses which was good.

Maybe where you live conservatives are all idiots.

If true, maybe you might want to put "my countries conservatives"
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 10:41 PM   #2844
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Or do you just think more of the criticisms are from the right wing, which I would agree with?
This is intensely silly! I referred to the criticisms from the right wing; I said nothing to suggest that these were the only criticisms. Although they clearly are the source of the bulk of the criticisms.

Isn’t this obvious? Why do I have the feeling your posts are asking silly questions just for me to waste my time answering them?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 10:41 PM   #2845
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Again, I did not say that at all. By not getting Thunberg I mean not understanding her strategy and approach. Not that conservatives cannot be environmentalists. Some are.
But they are to thick to work out her strategy and approach?

Old 16th November 2019, 10:45 PM   #2846
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This is intensely silly! I referred to the criticisms from the right wing; I said nothing to suggest that these were the only criticisms. Although they clearly are the source of the bulk of the criticisms.

Isn’t this obvious? Why do I have the feeling your posts are asking silly questions just for me to waste my time answering them?
Well no

At least not in NZ

I have seen our more Labour type voters (left) criticise her , and National (right if you stretch the term to the max).

Just saying you might want to not paint all people on one side of the political spectrum on things like universal health care, tax rates, the economy, housing, immigration, with the same brush over some 16 year old

Old 16th November 2019, 10:47 PM   #2847
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Lightbulb

Sorry, but we had a conservative government who signed the french agreement and spent shed loads on subsidising insulating houses which was good.

Maybe where you live conservatives are all idiots.

If true, maybe you might want to put "my countries conservatives"
You are still not getting what I mean by conservatives not “getting” Thonberg. Or pretending not to. Didn’t we once have a long discussion about the term “trans” that ended up in the world of pretend?
Old 16th November 2019, 10:49 PM   #2848
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You are still not getting what I mean by conservatives not “getting” Thonberg. Or pretending not to. Didn’t we once have a long discussion about the term “trans” that ended up in the world of pretend?
Why don't you just define what you mean by conservative and no

Old 16th November 2019, 10:51 PM   #2849
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And as an aside

Maybe give her the respect to spell her name right

Old 16th November 2019, 10:53 PM   #2850
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Well no

At least not in NZ

I have seen our more Labour type voters (left) criticise her , and National (right if you stretch the term to the max).

Just saying you might want to not paint all people on one side of the political spectrum on things like universal health care, tax rates, the economy, housing, immigration, with the same brush over some 16 year old

Good thing I didn’t
Old 16th November 2019, 10:57 PM   #2851
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

And as an aside

Maybe give her the respect to spell her name right
I’m transiting to bed; too late to play with you any more tonight.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:57 PM   #2852
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

[/hilite]
Good thing I didn’t
I have criticised the Greta band wagon

Hands up guilty

I believe in climate change, universal healthcare, benefits for those in the ****.

I myself would call myself completely middle of the road in politics

Just get a bit frustrated when any criticism of her or others suddenly makes me a right wing nutcase

But all good

Old 16th November 2019, 11:37 PM   #2853
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Ours

In fact our PM has called climate change "Her generations nuclear free moment"

Not that they doing any good from it.

And not that it will make any difference given the miniscule amount of emissions we comparatively emit
Per capita?

Agree, apart from the ageism.

Hands up guilty

I believe in climate change, universal healthcare, benefits for those in the ****.

Just get a bit frustrated when any criticism of her or others suddenly makes me a right wing nutcase

But all good
I've always thought you were far, far more "left" than, say, TBD, or others in the US.

The problem I see isn't to do with any left/right labels.

It's that you attack Thunberg illogically or emotionally, with ad homs and the wrong information about her, and always seem to be talking about a fanclub or church in here, when people are instead pointing out faulty reasoning in some of your statements,

This thread seems odd to me. It's like many in it have prior bad opinions of each other, and are using the thread to score points against each other, not add to all of our knowledge via discussion about the topic.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 16th November 2019 at 11:38 PM.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 11:40 PM   #2854
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Hands up guilty

But all good
When dd you start? Because earlier in this thread you doubted the extent and timing of global warming. Do you believe in climate change but only slowly? This is classic Denialism.

Based on your performance in this thread, I don’t think you believe in climate change at all.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 11:44 PM   #2855
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
When dd you start? Because earlier in this thread you doubted the extent and timing of global warming. Do you believe in climate change but only slowly? This is classic Denialism.

Based on your performance in this thread, I don’t think you believe in climate change at all.

I simply said I don't agree that in 8 years the world will become and unstoppable death spiral, if we don't meet someones theoretical figures

Old 16th November 2019, 11:46 PM   #2856
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Per capita?

Agree, apart from the ageism.

I've always thought you were far, far more "left" than, say, TBD, or others in the US.

The problem I see isn't to do with any left/right labels.

It's that you attack Thunberg illogically or emotionally, with ad homs and the wrong information about her, and always seem to be talking about a fanclub or church in here, when people are instead pointing out faulty reasoning in some of your statements,

This thread seems odd to me. It's like many in it have prior bad opinions of each other, and are using the thread to score points against each other, not add to all of our knowledge via discussion about the topic.
I disagree with her causing more carbon by sailing in a yacht than catching a plane is irrelevant.

Old 16th November 2019, 11:53 PM   #2857
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Mind you in 8 years you might get to say I told you so and the world stops working.

Everything dies and weirdo religious types say Armageddon is happening,

And the odd Nostradamus weirdo trying to join links that used to be the twin towers, and before that the two royals

Old 17th November 2019, 12:05 AM   #2858
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I simply said I don't agree that in 8 years the world will become and unstoppable death spiral, if we don't meet someones theoretical figures
Why don’t you agree that if serious action doesn’t happen in the next decade or so, dangerous climate change will be locked in? See, I accept scientific opinion on this. What do you base your opinions on? Do you have qualifications in this area so that people will accept this opinion?

See, you might just say “it’s my opinion”, but an opinion without basis can be dismissed comprehensively and with derision.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 12:09 AM   #2859
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Why don’t you agree that if serious action doesn’t happen in the next decade or so, dangerous climate change will be locked in? See, I accept scientific opinion on this. What do you base your opinions on? Do you have qualifications in this area so that people will accept this opinion?

See, you might just say “it’s my opinion”, but an opinion without basis can be dismissed comprehensively and with derision.
Meanwhile let's tell vulnerable young people it is 8 years or they die

Old 17th November 2019, 12:10 AM   #2860
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You are the only one saying this. Greta is not.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th November 2019, 12:16 AM   #2861
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Whatever

You know full well a lot of the UN is saying 10 and a fair few scientists say 8

The ones Greta urges people to listen to.

It might help if with her preaching she could recommend non nutty ones

Old 17th November 2019, 03:38 AM   #2862
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Whatever

You know full well a lot of the UN is saying 10 and a fair few scientists say 8

The ones Greta urges people to listen to.

It might help if with her preaching she could recommend non nutty ones

There is about 10 years to take real actions to prevent catastophic events. Catastrophic means many fatalaties. Don't shoot the messenger. Don't be surprised if the younger people who will have to live with the results are going to raise hell. So far the actions have been benign. The current fires in Australia are costing far more than any inconvenience caused by protests.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 07:15 AM   #2863
Max_mang
Critical Thinker

72 pages in, and still going over (and over and over and over...)the same things that were cleared up by page 3. If anyone is reading this in the future and wonders why we couldn't get enough of a mandate to get governments and the fuel/manufacturing industries to work diligently on the climate change problem, this thread is a great example.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 09:00 AM   #2864
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Really, it's down to a "Think about the children" argument? If governments and industry had thought about the children we wouldn't be in this predicament. Hell, if parents had thought about the children they would have done something sooner. The upcoming generation is the one going to have to deal with climate change so why shouldn't they be told about it?

Hopefully, when the **** hits the fan, they sacrifice the older generation and save the younger.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 09:06 AM   #2865
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Mind you in 8 years you might get to say I told you so and the world stops working.

Everything dies and weirdo religious types say Armageddon is happening,

And the odd Nostradamus weirdo trying to join links that used to be the twin towers, and before that the two royals
And weirdo climate denier types say they knew it all along and tried to warn us.

If you listen to the science and do something about it, Cullenz, and Greta turns out to be wrong, the worst you get is a cleaner planet. If she's right, maybe we can do something to mitigate the results. There really is no down side to doing something about it.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 10:00 AM   #2866
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

At least one person in this very thread doubts the extent of future warming and thinks it will arrive far more slowly than scientists predict.
Just one?

And how will being reminded that attacking Thunberg doesn't make climate change go away, change that persons way of thinking?

Giordano seems to think they are addressing the same juvenile audience that Greta lectures, on benign things that they need to be reminded of.
Old 17th November 2019, 10:03 AM   #2867
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

You don't buy how much of the right wing attacks on Thunberg are to discredit her cause? Otherwise who would care so much about this one 16 year old?
What does that have to do with reminding people in this forum, that attacking Thunberg does not change the reality of climate change?
Old 17th November 2019, 10:23 AM   #2868
Matthew Best
Philosopher

At least one
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Just one?
C'mon, really?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 11:22 AM   #2869
Steve
Philosopher

Whatever
The thread in a nutshell. Make up lies about Thunberg. Criticize her based on the lies. And then show complete indifference when the lies are proven.

I have absolutely no idea what the liars in this thread are hoping to accomplish, unless they are looking to show us all evidence of their own moral bankruptcy.

The op asks if Ms Thunberg is “disturbed”. No evidence of this has been provided in this thread. There is definite evidence in this thread that some posters here are obsessed with finding fault with Thunberg and do belong in that category.
Old 17th November 2019, 11:49 AM   #2870
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The thread in a nutshell. Make up lies about Thunberg. Criticize her based on the lies. And then show complete indifference when the lies are proven.

I have absolutely no idea what the liars in this thread are hoping to accomplish, unless they are looking to show us all evidence of their own moral bankruptcy.

The op asks if Ms Thunberg is “disturbed”. No evidence of this has been provided in this thread. There is definite evidence in this thread that some posters here are obsessed with finding fault with Thunberg and do belong in that category.
Au contraire. Her own words show that she is quite disturbed about the climate and inaction she perceives. And rightfully so.

I would opine that the thread is more about how much we value talk over action. Several of us here have a short fusefor virtue signalling shows. Greta (inadvertently) is the current poster child for the endless gum-flapping that passes for discussion.

Note please that this thread rolls on, while a similar thread sits dormant. That shows pretty clearly, I think, what the subject is and is not, here.
Old 17th November 2019, 12:42 PM   #2871
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Au contraire. Her own words show that she is quite disturbed about the climate and inaction she perceives. And rightfully so.

I would opine that the thread is more about how much we value talk over action. Several of us here have a short fusefor virtue signalling shows. Greta (inadvertently) is the current poster child for the endless gum-flapping that passes for discussion.

Note please that this thread rolls on, while a similar thread sits dormant. That shows pretty clearly, I think, what the subject is and is not, here.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...sil-fuel-lobby

Yeah, about that.

Quote:
Mann told the Observer that although flat rejection of global warming was becoming increasingly hard to maintain in the face of mounting evidence, this did not mean climate change deniers were giving up the fight.
“First of all, there is an attempt being made by them to deflect attention away from finding policy solutions to global warming towards promoting individual behaviour changes that affect people’s diets, travel choices and other personal behaviour,” said Mann. “This is a deflection campaign and a lot of well-meaning people have been taken in by it.”

Greta is on the right track to be pushing for policy change.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 12:49 PM   #2872
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Don’t pretend to be naive about the plain meaning of “disturbed” in the op. It is spelled out quite clearly.

I have no real issue with your opinion here. I do not agree with it but it is valid, and honest. unfortunately there are a number of posters here who are not so honest. If those posters would stick to criticizing things she has actually done I would be fine with that.
Old 17th November 2019, 01:47 PM   #2873
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...sil-fuel-lobby

Yeah, about that.

Greta is on the right track to be pushing for policy change.
I'll bet that guy has a lot of frequent flier miles racked up. No wonder he's against people adjusting their lifestyle. No fossil fuels for you poor people.
Stout is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 02:29 PM   #2874
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I'll bet that guy has a lot of frequent flier miles racked up. No wonder he's against people adjusting their lifestyle. No fossil fuels for you poor people.
Where did he say he's against it? He is not "that guy", he is one of the bravest climate scientists out there who has had to endure decades of vilification, humiliation and death threats.

He even seems to know you.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 17th November 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 17th November 2019, 03:16 PM   #2875
dann
Philosopher

True! He is against shifting the focus from what really matters:

From the same article:
Quote:
“We should also be aware how the forces of denial are exploiting the lifestyle change movement to get their supporters to argue with each other. It takes pressure off attempts to regulate the fossil fuel industry. This approach is a softer form of denial and in many ways it is more pernicious.”
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 04:25 PM   #2876
Stout
Illuminator

Yep, we can regulate the industry, make oil really expensive. Poor people, they can go hang, freeze in their houses because even if you triple the price of fuel, the rich will still be able to afford their week in Fiji.

People leading carbon rich lifestyles will say anything. Anything against the idea of reducing demand in order to preserve their lifestyles.

They're going to have to pry my propane patios heaters out of my cold dead hands.
Stout is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 06:28 PM   #2877
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Don’t pretend to be naive about the plain meaning of “disturbed” in the op. It is spelled out quite clearly.
I'm not pretending anything; just a bit of equivocation meant sympathetically to her.

Quote:
I have no real issue with your opinion here. I do not agree with it but it is valid, and honest. unfortunately there are a number of posters here who are not so honest. If those posters would stick to criticizing things she has actually done I would be fine with that.
As an aside, thanks for this. We all get caught up in arguments and seeing agendas that aren't intended. Does a brother good to see a polite disagreement once in a while.

Last edited by Thermal; 17th November 2019 at 06:30 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 06:40 PM   #2878
a_unique_person

Yep, we can regulate the industry, make oil really expensive. Poor people, they can go hang, freeze in their houses because even if you triple the price of fuel, the rich will still be able to afford their week in Fiji.

People leading carbon rich lifestyles will say anything. Anything against the idea of reducing demand in order to preserve their lifestyles.

They're going to have to pry my propane patios heaters out of my cold dead hands.
Yes, a post that is exactly as Mann predicted.
Old 17th November 2019, 07:13 PM   #2879
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Yes, a post that is exactly as Mann predicted.
Here, I'll simplify things a little and explain just what it is that I'm doing here.

I need you to think of oil as meth.

What I'm doing is running a D.A.R.E program to try to keep people off on meth (oil). to prevent them from getting too deeply entangled that they won't be able to back out and end up either dead or in the clutches of the DEA.

You don't object to trying to keep kids off of drugs do you ?

I know it's too late for most of you Greataphiles, I can see it in your posts but it's your kids, your grand children I'm thinking about and it doesn't do them any good to be raised in a drug house.
Old 17th November 2019, 07:20 PM   #2880
Steve
Philosopher

Here, I'll simplify things a little and explain just what it is that I'm doing here.

I need you to think of oil as meth.

What I'm doing is running a D.A.R.E program to try to keep people off on meth (oil). to prevent them from getting too deeply entangled that they won't be able to back out and end up either dead or in the clutches of the DEA.

You don't object to trying to keep kids off of drugs do you ?

I know it's too late for most of you Greataphiles, I can see it in your posts but it's your kids, your grand children I'm thinking about and it doesn't do them any good to be raised in a drug house.
Ms Thunberg and yourself have a common goal, but you have spent many posts disparaging her message. Her message is being heard by many thousands of people. Yours by around ten. Thunberg appears to be far and away the more effective communicator.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events