ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2019, 08:49 AM   #41
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
<snip>
"Everything in the history of everything was actually invented/discovered by my race/nation/religion."

Claptrap.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:07 AM   #42
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
"Everything in the history of everything was actually invented/discovered by my race/nation/religion."

Claptrap.
That's true for Mormon Evenks living in Gibraltar. There are not a lot of those.
Old 12th August 2019, 03:10 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The OP Definently needs to find better sources to get his history from....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:15 PM   #44
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

If all the white western people are Turkish, who are all those guys in Turkey?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:45 AM   #45
Tolls
Illuminator

They're proper Turk, as opposed to Turk-ish.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 09:28 AM   #46
Doubt
Philosopher

White people may have originated in the Caucasus region. But that does not make them Turkmen or Turkish. Also the people in Turkmenistan and Turkey are not the same and both groups will tell you that even though they did start out that way.

People that build long lasting famous pyramids mentioned in the OP were not white.

I guess that in some cases the only good thing you can do with a history book is hit people over the head with them.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:03 AM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
White people may have originated in the Caucasus region. But that does not make them Turkmen or Turkish. Also the people in Turkmenistan and Turkey are not the same and both groups will tell you that even though they did start out that way.

People that build long lasting famous pyramids mentioned in the OP were not white.

I guess that in some cases the only good thing you can do with a history book is hit people over the head with them.
The Turks were hitting people over the head with books thousands of years ago. They invented the practice. Also they invented the books themselves. And concussion treatment.
Old 11th October 2019, 04:39 PM   #48
Emre_1974tr
Muse

All western countries are shocked to learn that they come from Central Asia.

But the Hungarians had already accepted it and even made it clear that they are now Turks:

"he said.”Hungarians consider themselves late descendants of Attila, of Hun-Turkic origin, and Hungarian is a relative of Turkic languages,” Orbán said."

Hungary Today

https://hungarytoday.hu/orban-hungar...nts-of-attila/
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 04:44 PM   #49
Emre_1974tr
Muse

The Turks were on every continent thousands of years ago.

Pyramids are Turkish kurgans. White Turks made the pyramids in America, China and Egypt.

The phenomenon called white race is the Turks.

You only mention of Turkey, Central Asia are coming to your mind.

The Germans, the Hungarians, the Bulgarians, the Tatars, the Vikings, in short, all of the western peoples Turks.

And look at American writer Gene Matlock:

http://www.viewzone.com/rewrite.html

and.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatars

"The surprising ancestry of ancient Egyptians: First ever genome study of mummies reveals they were more Turkish and European than African" :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-European.html

and,

http://sumerianturks.org/?fbclid=IwA...ELMgzWnf1RQemU
http://sumerianturks.org/egyptianpyramidsziggurats.htm

https://owlcation.com/humanities/The...-Ancient-China
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 05:48 PM   #50
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, and I thought the Russians were bad when it came to claiming every of importance was created by Russians...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 05:51 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I also think the timing was pretty bad for bringing this thread back to life. Turkey is not exactly popular now...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:21 PM   #52
sackett
Philosopher

Emre, if you must believe in a master race, how -- how on earth -- could you choose the Turks?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 07:55 PM   #53
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

It’s like some updated variation on Serdar Argic.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 09:02 PM   #54
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
It’s like some updated variation on Serdar Argic.
Serdar Argic . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plmusf5.jpg (60.8 KB, 10 views)
Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:26 AM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

All western countries are shocked to learn that they come from Central Asia.

But the Hungarians had already accepted it and even made it clear that they are now Turks:

"he said.”Hungarians consider themselves late descendants of Attila, of Hun-Turkic origin, and Hungarian is a relative of Turkic languages,” Orbán said."

Hungary Today

https://hungarytoday.hu/orban-hungar...nts-of-attila/
No, it was the Kurds who formed Western Civilization. Turks are just one branch descended from Kurds. It's the Kurds who should be ruling Turkey.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:56 AM   #56
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
God, and I thought the Russians were bad when it came to claiming every of importance was created by Russians...
Except for the Klingons claiming that one of them wrote Shakespeare?

Old 12th October 2019, 11:32 AM   #57
deadrose
Illuminator

Hahaha, Serdar Argic, that takes me back! There are days when I really miss the early days of the net, when all you had to worry about were spambots, net.kooks, and Canter & Siegel.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 11:52 AM   #58
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
The whole essence of Emre's style -- of which his peculiar logic is only part -- is throwing out bits of lunacy, while being entirely impervious to any kind of feedback. That "How'd I do? What do you guys think?" part is something he'd not just eschew, the very thought of wondering what others might think is something that wouldn't even occur to him.
Is Emre...Donald J. Trump?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 05:17 PM   #59
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Emre, if you must believe in a master race, how -- how on earth -- could you choose the Turks?
Racist overtones in a racist thread. Checks out.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:57 PM   #60
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Racist overtones in a racist thread. Checks out.
Not at all. I'm just pulling emre's leg to see how numb his skull is.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 06:18 AM   #61
Chanakya

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Not at all. I'm just pulling emre's leg to see how numb his skull is.

[Devil's advocate] Might he be pulling ours, to see how numb or otherwise ours are? [/Devil's advocate]
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 07:48 AM   #62
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure he knows full well that he and his people are offshoots of the Kurds.
Old 13th October 2019, 01:44 PM   #63
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Russians also make fun of the same phenomenon. During the days of the Soviet Union there were jokes about building the worlds fastest watch and the largest microchip.
Old 14th October 2019, 05:09 AM   #64
Tolls
Illuminator

They may consider themselves as such, but he's wrong about his language.
Hungarian is Uralic, which isn't related to Turkic in any meaningful sense that wouldn't make all languages related to the point of meaningless.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 05:30 AM   #65
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
They may consider themselves as such, but he's wrong about his language.
Hungarian is Uralic, which isn't related to Turkic in any meaningful sense that wouldn't make all languages related to the point of meaningless.
Hungarian is supposed to be related to Korean, or Mongolian, isn't it?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 06:37 AM   #66
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hungarian is supposed to be related to Korean, or Mongolian, isn't it?
My understanding is that that is a very small minority opinion among linguists, my understanding is that its not even generally accepted that mongolian and korean are especially closely related. My understanding is that Hungarian is related to Finnish as part of the Finno-uralic language group comprised of Finnish, Hungarian, and something else.

Hungarians aren't even really that closely related to the Huns, its a early modern conceit, up until the last hundred years or so, they were known as Magyars.

Regardless, everyone knows that the Turks are descended from the Kurds.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 11:57 AM   #67
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Aeon had an article about this last year.

Turkey has some cultural inertia about this topic due to prior propaganda campaigns.

[Turkey’s hard white turn]
Old 15th October 2019, 06:20 AM   #68
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My ancient grandpa was so racist he didn't think the French counted as white. He'd have laughed himself sick at the notion of a white Turkish person.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:49 AM   #69
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My ancient grandpa was so racist he didn't think the French counted as white. He'd have laughed himself sick at the notion of a white Turkish person.
My long deceased grandpa thought Australian Aboriginal people should be put behind barbwire and shot.

Surely I win the battle of who has/had the most bigoted grandpa award.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 09:16 AM   #70
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
My long deceased grandpa thought Australian Aboriginal people should be put behind barbwire and shot.

Surely I win the battle of who has/had the most bigoted grandpa award.
My grandpa wouldn't acknowledge the side of his family who sided with the Tories in the American Revolution. He was still mad about stuff that happened 138 years before his own birth.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:43 AM   #71
philkensebben
Illuminator

My grandpa wouldn't acknowledge the side of his family who sided with the Tories in the American Revolution. He was still mad about stuff that happened 138 years before his own birth.
Nothing quite tops an old man grudge does it?
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 11:29 AM   #72
Chanakya

By Allah, Emre -- or am I mixing up posters and their pet themes here? -- did you hear that, TM's grandfather says Turks aren't white at all! You'll have to rethink your place in the world now!

We should have a grumpy grandpa thread. (Mine wasn't grumpy or bigoted, though. He was pretty much a liberal and a skeptic, far more so than my father is.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 01:57 AM   #73
dann
Philosopher

If all the white western peoples are Turkish, where do all the brown Turks come from?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 04:53 AM   #74
Doubt
Philosopher

All white western people are ticklish!

There is better evidence for that than the opening post.
Old 16th October 2019, 05:34 AM   #75
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dann View Post
If all the white western peoples are Turkish, where do all the brown Turks come from?
Berlin?
Old 16th October 2019, 07:30 AM   #76
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

It's Istanbul not Constantinople no you can't go back to Constantinople
Old 16th October 2019, 10:22 AM   #77
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Now now, don't all pile up on poor Emre, claiming the Turks are descended from Kurds.

We all know they are actually Greeks.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 01:46 PM   #78
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Now now, don't all pile up on poor Emre, claiming the Turks are descended from Kurds.

We all know they are actually Greeks.
Actually the Turks are the result of a series of forbidden romances between Kurds and Greeks.
Old 16th October 2019, 01:51 PM   #79
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Actually the Turks are the result of a series of forbidden romances between Kurds and Greeks.
You say this as a joke but it is basically true, Turk culture is the synthesis of Greek and Kurd cultures with a Jewish substrate.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 12:01 PM   #80
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Old British saying "the Wogs begin at Calais".

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts