ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2009, 08:07 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ALex Jones will go Crazy over 2012.

THis film is full of Conspiracy Theory Woo. And exactly the kind that fits in with Jones "the global elites are planning to exterminate most of mankind" dogma.
Of course the whole film is a jaw dropping exercise in stupidity. When it is not peddling CT woo, it had some of the worst pseudo science garbage I have seen. And when it is not doing that, it is throwing a new jaw dropping plothole at you once very five minutes.
And I admit, I laughed my head off at it. It is "PLan 9 from OUter Space unintentional laugh riot" funny.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Thunder
Banned

um...i thought the movie had nothing to do with woo, and was just about the insane misinterpretation of the Mayan 2012 predictions.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2009, 09:17 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
um...i thought the movie had nothing to do with woo, and was just about the insane misinterpretation of the Mayan 2012 predictions.
\

I just saw it, and the film is packed with psuedo Science and CT BS of the worst kind. In fact, the Mayan angle is reduced to a few brief mentions. Not that that makes this film any better though.
Though is pretty funny because of the sheer stupidity of much of it.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Thunder
Banned

i saw the trailer, with them flying around LA as it tumbls to the ground. i don't know why, but these films of mass destruction in American cities, and Hollywood actors magically driving planes and cars through it all, has begun to fatigue me.

i think the last big disaster movie that actually had a good story, with good character development, was Deep Impact. that was a touching film.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2009, 10:26 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A number of critics are calling 2012 Deep Impact as Ed Wood would have made it.
Danny Glover in the President in 2012, and he does what can only be called a lame Morgan Freeman impression.
Old 14th November 2009, 11:25 PM   #6
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A number of critics are calling 2012 Deep Impact as Ed Wood would have made it.
Danny Glover in the President in 2012, and he does what can only be called a lame Morgan Freeman impression.
LOL! I was waiting for Morgan to walk into frame and stare Danny down until he dropped his gaze and walked off.
Old 15th November 2009, 04:42 AM   #7
Perfume V
Scholar

Take a look at the 'Cast' section on the Wikipedia page for 2012 the movie as it stands now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_(film)#Cast

This is what it looked like just a few hours ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...325931378#Cast

Look at the differences in the entry on Woody Harrelson's character. Woo fight?

Last edited by Perfume V; 15th November 2009 at 04:44 AM.
Perfume V is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2009, 05:05 AM   #8
Infoexcavator
Critical Thinker

THis film is full of Conspiracy Theory Woo. And exactly the kind that fits in with Jones "the global elites are planning to exterminate most of mankind" dogma.
Of course the whole film is a jaw dropping exercise in stupidity. When it is not peddling CT woo, it had some of the worst pseudo science garbage I have seen. And when it is not doing that, it is throwing a new jaw dropping plothole at you once very five minutes.
And I admit, I laughed my head off at it. It is "PLan 9 from OUter Space unintentional laugh riot" funny.
I thought in that film the events were due to a natural disaster. Alex Jones has always said that he thinks 2012 theories and Nibiru are just a way to make the "serious" conspiracy theorists look foolish, he does not really take part in the more fantastical theories about Planet X and Mayan Calendars.
Infoexcavator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Infoexcavator View Post
I thought in that film the events were due to a natural disaster. Alex Jones has always said that he thinks 2012 theories and Nibiru are just a way to make the "serious" conspiracy theorists look foolish, he does not really take part in the more fantastical theories about Planet X and Mayan Calendars.

The catastrophe is a natural disaster, but the response to it involves quite a few CT aspects. And there are, I think, a few knowing nods to the CT crowd. For instance,
one guy who is about to blow the whistle on the cover-up is killed in a car "accident" in the same tunnel Princes Di died in.
Old 15th November 2009, 08:37 AM   #10
kritter
Student

The only way I imagine the world will end in 2012 is if Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich combine forces to make a movie in 3 years.......
kritter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2009, 11:22 PM   #11
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Roland Emmerich has a nagging habit of leaving survivors.

At least Alex Proyas wiped out damn near everybody except the children of parents who were smart enough to decipher the aliens' gobbledygook.
Old 16th November 2009, 01:33 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
LOL! I was waiting for Morgan to walk into frame and stare Danny down until he dropped his gaze and walked off.

At the showing I attended, the crowd was pretty rowdy and saw that the only way to make the non CGI scenes endurable was to MST3K it.
When Glover makes the "We should have had a lottery" remark, someone screamed out "Morgan Freeman already did that.idiot" And the scene where GLover is thrown to the ground by the earthquake brought a shout of 'I am getting too old for this S---".

Last edited by dudalb; 16th November 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 16th November 2009, 01:37 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Without going into details,one of the main plot points is the Heads of State know what is going to happen, and keep it from the masses. (Of course in real life no freaking way you keep it a secret but logic and reality are foreign words to Emmerich). That fits right in with Jones' "the elites are planning on exterminating the rest of us" BS.
Old 16th November 2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Davidlpf
Muse

Alex Jones is not crazy already.
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2009, 03:45 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Perfume V View Post
Take a look at the 'Cast' section on the Wikipedia page for 2012 the movie as it stands now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_(film)#Cast

This is what it looked like just a few hours ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...325931378#Cast

Look at the differences in the entry on Woody Harrelson's character. Woo fight?

Ah, the wonders of Wikipedia.
The character is definently a rip off of Art Bell. Jones is a different kind of crazy..although I am sure Jones will find a way to cash in on the movie's sucess to promote his crap theories.
Of course, Emmerich was an associte producer on a film called "8 Legged Freaks" which had a character that was even more heavily based on Art Bell.
SO Emmerich is ripping off himself in a way. Of course Emmerich had nothing to do with the writing and directing of 8 Legged Freaks, which is why that film is a fun little movie. And the comedy is intentional......
Old 19th November 2009, 11:48 AM   #16
CaptainHair
Republican Operative

Happy Birthday

This is kind of a sad present for my 54th birthday...the Earth going kaboom and everything.

MC
Old 19th November 2009, 01:55 PM   #17
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Originally Posted by Davidlpf View Post
Alex Jones is not crazy already.
Evidence?
Old 19th November 2009, 03:11 PM   #18
Sunray Breaker
Critical Thinker

I'm tempted to see this garbage...but I'll probably not download it...It still kills me that dumbass movies like this get more recognition than Lars Von Triers amazing Antichrist movie...

I can't seem to get more than four or five opinions on Von Trier's latest flick, which is controversial, confrontational, gorgeous and creepy.

C'mon now...Uncensored genital mutilation, masogony, a clash between the animus and anima, layers of disturbing psychosis...And no one has an opinion on it? I'm always having to troll this damn site just get some friggin decent dialogue...

Seriously...has anyone on here seen it yet? I thought it was amazing!!!
"There are times, however, and this is one of them, when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and sex is death?" - HST
If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seatbelt? - Doug Stanhope
Sunray Breaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2009, 03:15 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I can't stand Von Trier, so I am giving it a pass.
Old 19th November 2009, 07:16 PM   #20
Whiplash

dudalb, this movie must be awful, the way you keep ripping it all over the forum. Not a complaint or judgment against you. More a good sign, to me, to stay the hell away from that movie.
Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2009, 07:20 PM   #21
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Sunray Breaker View Post
C'mon now...Uncensored genital mutilation, ......And no one has an opinion on it?

In my opinion, that's not something I'd want to go see in a theater.

I learned that lesson the hard way from "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover".
Old 21st November 2009, 02:47 PM   #22
8den
Graduate Poster

I can't stand Von Trier, so I am giving it a pass.

Ditto. He annoys the living crap out of me.
8den is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:07 PM   #23
Ohnoes
Critical Thinker

Yeah...I have no love for Jones, but at least he doesn't try to peddle 2012 nonsense with his usual nonsense. I posted something about him trashing the 2012 folks in a "pot/keddle deathmatch of crazy" some time ago..
Ohnoes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:55 PM   #24
Sunray Breaker
Critical Thinker

Although I wouldn't put it past him to accuse the "elitists" of being a part of some tranhumanist doomsday cult that is set become a worldwide dictating force by 2012.

He seems to think that they are secretly hording the earth's resources in some underground facility (which is actually a facility scientists have built to preserve all of the strains of seeds and crops in one, safe underground facility).

It was in one of his articles I read about a year and half ago. I wonder how he feels about this nonsense now. I'm sure he thinks there's some silly satanic, end of all sovereignty propaganda hidden in the film 2012. I'm quite sure his "expert" Jim Marrs knows all about it.
"There are times, however, and this is one of them, when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and sex is death?" - HST
If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seatbelt? - Doug Stanhope
Sunray Breaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories