ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th November 2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Dubbi
Thinker

Toronto "Freeman" truther preaching to the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EV0rN_JwU

They've gone completely insane. First it's 9/11, then vaccines, now FOTL. Just reptilians left to win the woo bingo.
Dubbi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
J-Funk
Scholar

I love how the guy is absolutely sure that he doesn’t need a passport to travel to other countries and then someone asks him if he has ever tried it and he admits he hasn’t.

I’m sort of surprised that he was talking about the freeman stuff at an anti-vaccination event. On their mailing list this group often talks about staying on message and not getting too deep into the conspiracy stuff with new people. I guess even they (with the obvious exception of this guy) realize that a lot of the stuff they believe is too absurd to tell people until they are properly indoctrinated into the group.
J-Funk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
mythstifieD
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by J-Funk View Post
I love how the guy is absolutely sure that he doesn’t need a passport to travel to other countries and then someone asks him if he has ever tried it and he admits he hasn’t.

I’m sort of surprised that he was talking about the freeman stuff at an anti-vaccination event. On their mailing list this group often talks about staying on message and not getting too deep into the conspiracy stuff with new people. I guess even they (with the obvious exception of this guy) realize that a lot of the stuff they believe is too absurd to tell people until they are properly indoctrinated into the group.
He does claim that the Registrar General is his primary source...

so.. can't we easily prove/disprove all this freeman stuff by just asking a government official? They seem to know alllll about it??
Old 18th November 2009, 08:38 PM   #4
joe911
Critical Thinker

I begin to wonder if the FOTL are just out looking for trouble. Surley the easiest way to get through life is to just play by the rules? People who have never been in trouble with the law before now find themselves in all sorts of trouble because of this mad belief system they have that they are above the law. Also,has anyone else noticed that when freemen preach they always mention "when you go to court" almost like its a part of the initiation process.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:46 PM   #5
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mythstifieD View Post
He does claim that the Registrar General is his primary source...

so.. can't we easily prove/disprove all this freeman stuff by just asking a government official? They seem to know alllll about it??
I don't know about other jurisdictions, but in Australia, somebody with the title "Registrar General" is appointed under Statutory Law. Now I know FOTLers are always inconsistant, but how can they quote somebody appointed under Statute Law, when they do not believe that Statute Law is legal in the first place.

An appeal to (illegal?) authority?

I have noticed some FOTL threads where some of them quote Statute Law with (apparent) approval. So like theists who cherry pick the bits of the Bible they agree with, FOTLers cherry pick the "laws" they agree with.

And I stick with my original conviction about these leeches - any laws which require the repayment of debts owed (including fines, taxes, mortgages and credit card debt) are more than likely the only ones they do not accept.

I would be very interested in seeing what would happen if I decided to move into a FOTL house, and ate his/her food, used his/her phone without asking, then slept in his/her bed, and without paying. Goldilocks certainly ran into trouble with FOTL bears. Or was she in fact the original FOTLer?

I suspect they would call the (illegal) police pretty quickly. Hypocrites!

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
CHF
Illuminator

The loon in that video is Mark Savery - the leader of the Toronto truth group.

I knew he was a nut but had no idea he was that insane.
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2009, 03:03 AM   #7
BobHaulk
Muse

i cannie watch the video on account of being tired of all these 9/11 freemen droogs but i guess it features some workshy hippie who knows nothing but has seen a couple of youtube videos and now somehow feels he's a superior intellect and if you disagree with him you'll be a sheeple.
BobHaulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by joe911 View Post
I begin to wonder if the FOTL are just out looking for trouble. Surley the easiest way to get through life is to just play by the rules? People who have never been in trouble with the law before now find themselves in all sorts of trouble because of this mad belief system they have that they are above the law. Also,has anyone else noticed that when freemen preach they always mention "when you go to court" almost like its a part of the initiation process.

Nominated, for that last line!
Old 19th November 2009, 03:04 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobHaulk View Post
i cannie watch the video on account of being tired of all these 9/11 freemen droogs but i guess it features some workshy hippie who knows nothing but has seen a couple of youtube videos and now somehow feels he's a superior intellect and if you disagree with him you'll be a sheeple.
That describes the core of the Truth Movement.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I got a huge laugh out of the idea that you can tell things are "official" because your name is all in capital letters. The actual reason is because the character set used by the first commercial computers could only accommodate 64 characters and none of these were lower case alphabetics. The mind is
Old 19th November 2009, 05:33 PM   #11
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I got a huge laugh out of the idea that you can tell things are "official" because your name is all in capital letters. The actual reason is because the character set used by the first commercial computers could only accommodate 64 characters and none of these were lower case alphabetics. The mind is
I always thought there was some technical reason for this - like typing in CAPITALS made it easier for people with reading disabilities to be able to clearly tell something was addressed to them. Had no idea it had something to do with the equipment that was being used!

I'd say everything I've gotten in the mail for the past 2 years (in which I've been aware of the FOTL woo so I've been looking out for this) which has come from government agencies...has been in normal upper/lowercase.

What will the FOTL woo excuse be when they deal with a government agency that has upgraded from this commercial typeset to one that no longer uses all capital letters?
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LightinDarkness View Post
I always thought there was some technical reason for this - like typing in CAPITALS made it easier for people with reading disabilities to be able to clearly tell something was addressed to them. Had no idea it had something to do with the equipment that was being used!

I'd say everything I've gotten in the mail for the past 2 years (in which I've been aware of the FOTL woo so I've been looking out for this) which has come from government agencies...has been in normal upper/lowercase.

What will the FOTL woo excuse be when they deal with a government agency that has upgraded from this commercial typeset to one that no longer uses all capital letters?
With modern computers upper and lower case can be accommodated and, as old systems and data bases fade away, I guess all our rights will be restored.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
fitzgibbon
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CHF View Post
The loon in that video is Mark Savery - the leader of the Toronto truth group.

I knew he was a nut but had no idea he was that insane.
Drives down the DVP without a seatbelt? Now THAT's crazy!
"Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God!"
Howard Beale, "Network"
fitzgibbon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2009, 05:45 AM   #14
TheDaver
hairy farting brute

Originally Posted by J-Funk View Post
I’m sort of surprised that he was talking about the freeman stuff at an anti-vaccination event.
Wait… let me get this straight… this guy is a representative of a 9/11 Truth group, talking about FOTL at an anti-vax event? Wow. Just wow.
Old 21st November 2009, 09:45 AM   #15
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheDaver View Post
Wait… let me get this straight… this guy is a representative of a 9/11 Truth group, talking about FOTL at an anti-vax event? Wow. Just wow.

TO is a small town. The woos have to help each other out because it is so cold.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories