ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:42 PM   #1
INRM
Philosopher

This True: World Government

URL: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111015034.html
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2009, 12:44 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. That really happened. The UN now runs the world.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
GreyICE

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yes. That really happened. The UN now runs the world.
You can tell, too. People have praised their continual relevance, effective decision making, and iron resolve, even as critics said those attributes could turn on us. But it was truly the unity of purpose that lead to this point, their ability to set aside minor differences and forge themselves into an effective, functional machine.

Oh, if only we'd listened to Hannity.
GreyICE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
yes. One World Government is now a reality. is this a problem?
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Beware the sky-blue helmeted might of the UN military forces as they use their unstoppable and merciless warfighting prowess to crush any inkling of resistance to their master's will into dust.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:05 PM   #6
J-Funk
Scholar

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
J-Funk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Doctor Evil
Master Poster

Originally Posted by J-Funk View Post
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Head lice?

"In this universe, effect follows cause. I've complained about it but ... " -- House
Doctor Evil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 01:21 AM   #8
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

We are all screwed.

Kneel.
Old 18th November 2009, 01:30 AM   #9
SezMe
post-pre-born

From the OP:

Quote:
One floor beneath the Senate chamber, Ban, a South Korean national, took his place behind a lectern bearing the Senate seal and spelled out his demands.

"I would certainly expect the Senate to take the necessary action; that's what I have encouraged the senators," he told reporters as a trio of lawmakers stood at his side. He added an admonition for the chamber to deliver "as soon as possible.
My bold.

So the idiot author translates words such as "expect" and "encouraged" and "admonition" into "demands".

I can't figure out which is worse. The stupidity of Milbank to write such tripe or you for buying into it.

Last edited by SezMe; 18th November 2009 at 02:17 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 01:42 AM   #10
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

No.*

*Disclaimer: I did not actually read the article, that is just my conditioned response to threads started by INRM that ask questions.
Old 18th November 2009, 03:09 AM   #11
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

What exactly is the deal with this? I haven't been paying too much attention to it to know specifics. On the one hand, I have heard some claimed specifics like, we are going to sign it. And, yes, we will have to pay other countries carbon off-sets, including China and India, who won't sign the treaty.

On the other side of the fence I hear a dismissive tone. Is this real? Will we sign it? If we do, what are the long term consequences? Are China and India not going to sign it and will we have to pay them anyway? How much power would this give the U.N. over us?

Help me out on this so I can get up to speed quickly.

There really was a man from Nantucket
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 03:44 AM   #12
Meed
boundless constraint

I'm 80% sure the author is being sarcastic.

Quote:
How much power would this give the U.N. over us?
None, they just like to pretend.
Meed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 03:48 AM   #13
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
None, they just like to pretend.
Don't be too sure, from what I understand, they are asking for 0.7% of our GDP. Plus, they can fine us billions if we don't meet the carbon reduction targets they set.

I don't go in for this NWO stuff, but I'm not sure I like where this is going.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 18th November 2009 at 04:23 AM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 04:18 AM   #14
Meed
boundless constraint

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
Don't be too sure, from what I understand, they Plus, they can fine us billions if we don't meet the arbitrary carbon reduction targets they set.
The US breaks international law all the time. The fact that we have so much power to ignore international law is not a good thing, but it's a reality. In a 'worst case scenario' the UN would have the 'power' to fine us for breaking a law that we agreed to. I'm not sure I see anything wrong with that.

What do you mean "arbitrary"?
Meed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 04:25 AM   #15
zaphod2016
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
yes. One World Government is now a reality. is this a problem?
I'm 80% sure the author is being sarcastic.
Either we're dealing with sarcasm, or stupidity so massive it is likely contagious. Just to be safe, I suggest quarantines for all involved.
zaphod2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 04:27 AM   #16
Hallo Alfie
Banned

The US breaks international law all the time. The fact that we have so much power to ignore international law is not a good thing, but it's a reality. In a 'worst case scenario' the UN would have the 'power' to fine us for breaking a law that we agreed to. I'm not sure I see anything wrong with that.
Why would the US even bother to pay it if they're going to ignore/break laws willy nilly anyway?

What do you mean "arbitrary"?
Damn!
I wrote that then decided it wasn't the right word, changed the sentence but didn't take it out.
Mea Culpa. Post amended.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 06:38 AM   #17
Meed
boundless constraint

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
Why would the US even bother to pay it if they're going to ignore/break laws willy nilly anyway?
They might not. Or they might, to encourage other nations to follow suit and/or improve our international reputation.
Old 18th November 2009, 06:59 AM   #18
GreyICE

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
From the OP:

My bold.

So the idiot author translates words such as "expect" and "encouraged" and "admonition" into "demands".

I can't figure out which is worse. The stupidity of Milbank to write such tripe or you for buying into it.
Sarcasm just floats right by you on little gossamer wings, doesn't it? I mean, what was the first clue you missed?
Quote:
Senate Foreign Relations Chairman John Kerry (D-Switzerland)
Quote:
Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana (a Republican, but he drives a Prius)
Quote:
"America, if you believe this country is great but you're not really into that whole One World Government thing, watch out," Fox News Channel's Beck warned a couple of weeks ago. His guest, Lord Christopher Monckton of Britain, told Beck that "at Copenhagen, a treaty will be signed that will, for the first time, create a world government with powers to intervene directly in the economy and in the environmental affairs of individual nations."
Seriously? Y'know, D-SWITZERLAND didn't clue you into anything?

Last edited by GreyICE; 18th November 2009 at 07:03 AM.
GreyICE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 08:16 AM   #19
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GreyICE View Post
Sarcasm just floats right by you on little gossamer wings, doesn't it? I mean, what was the first clue you missed?...Seriously? Y'know, D-SWITZERLAND didn't clue you into anything?
To the paranoid, sarcasm is tool of the oppressor.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories