IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 07:42 AM   #441
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
I see. So the "Third Temple" has already come and gone?
Originally Posted by Paul Bethke View Post
Well that is obvious!
...this bears unpacking...

If "Herod's Temple" was,in fact,the "Third Temple', then thee "End Times" (according to "Ezekiel") have come and gone.

So much for "infallibility"...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:51 AM   #442
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

...this bears unpacking...

If "Herod's Temple" was,in fact,the "Third Temple', then thee "End Times" (according to "Ezekiel") have come and gone.

So much for "infallibility"...
Therefore, If Paul sticks to the idea that Herod's temple was the third temple, he is conceding that this very thread is now futile, as the "end times" have already happened.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:53 AM   #443
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Therefore, If Paul sticks to the idea that Herod's temple was the third temple, he is conceding that this very thread is now futile, as the "end times" have already happened.
Oops.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:00 AM   #444
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oops.
Inorite?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:03 AM   #445
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Oops.
The idea that the "End Times" described in the Bible are past events is not that terribly unique. While not the dominant theme in modern western Christian thought, it has a basis. The general idea is that the bulk of the End Times prophesy in the Old Testament referred to the coming of Christ and / or the Roman Empire and The Book of Revelations was about Nero persecuting Christians. This interpretation however leaves Christians without an "End of the World" story.

I cannot speak to Jewish thoughts on this topic as I lack the knowledge of modern Jewish theology to give an informed answer.

I find it ironic that Paul has, yet again, in is zeal to be "right" and prove others "wrong," profoundly undermined his own claims.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:08 AM   #446
Belz...
Fiend God

I find it ironic that Paul has, yet again, in is zeal to be "right" and prove others "wrong," profoundly undermined his own claims.
Well, that's what happens when you try to prove that fantasy is correct and perfect. Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and comic book fans have the same problem.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:19 AM   #447
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's what happens when you try to prove that fantasy is correct and perfect. Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and comic book fans have the same problem.
I think Lord of the Rings fans have it easiest of the bunch. Most the contradictions are in the The Silmarillion, which is explicitly a collection of legends, and therefore flexible on the details.

I've noticed the theologians and apologists with the best defense are the ones who concede the the Bible contains a lot of legend and mythology. Being able to say the Exodus was obvious allegory frees one from the tyranny of archaeology to explore what meaning a deity would want us to take from the story. For example, the Passover Haggadah my wife's family uses focuses on the message that all people have been enslaved and that we should not take delight in the suffering of our enemies. It's a cultural bond to be sure, but the story also becomes about humanity sharing a bond as well. As a result the Passover has meaning regardless of it is a literal account of events or a story God wants us to ear.

Conceding the role of mythology is a religiously liberating step that allows faith to take a central role instead of bickering about ways to make the geologic record somehow jive with a global flood a few hundred years before the pyramids started going up and a creation story that takes place while the Sumerian civilization was in full swing.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:24 AM   #448
Belz...
Fiend God

Conceding the role of mythology is a religiously liberating step that allows faith to take a central role instead of bickering about ways to make the geologic record somehow jive with a global flood a few hundred years before the pyramids started going up and a creation story that takes place while the Sumerian civilization was in full swing.
It was a water canopy, I tell ya!

Old 8th November 2016, 11:03 AM   #449
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

So Abraham and Moses for instance were gathered—so where were they gathered too?

... snipped for brevity ...

The DO nots.
If I was immortal and BFFs with God like Paul Bethke is, then I would not waste that incredibly remarkable opportunity by constantly spouting nonsense from a fairy book.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:23 AM   #450
Zivan
Muse

So Abraham and Moses for instance were gathered—so where were they gathered too?
Their graves. As others have already told you "gathered to his people" is a metaphor for death/grave.

Some translations may translate some words of the ancient Hebrew wrong—
"Some translations may translate some words of the ancient Hebrew wrong—"

Not "may" they DO translate wrong.

but overall the translations give a very clear description of the words of God penned by the faithful.
You have proven your translations do NOT "give a very clear description"....

Your wrong translations make you think there is a "devil" named "Satan", which is false.

So who tempted Eve to eat of the fruit that God forbade?
A talking snake.

That is all.

A snake.

No idea as to what you are inferring!
Did you read what I wrote about your wrong translation?

I explained in post #424

Your translations deceive you.

It does not change the fact that David acted outside the prescribed will of God.
According to II Samuel 24:1, and I Chron 21:1 (properly translated, not your false translation in NIV), it WAS YHVH that caused David to take a census.

So why do you say, "David acted outside the prescribed will of God."?

What about Job/---Job 1:7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
So who is Satan?
"The". You left out the definite article, "the" (because you do not know it is there!). It says "the adversary", not the name of a "devil" called "Satan".

There is no "Satan". The word is properly translated as "adversary/opponent".

Psa 139:8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
I do not ignore any Scripture—this is very simple, the Presence of God is everywhere as everywhere is designed by God—there is not a place that God has no knowledge of!
The word that your NIV translated as "depths" is the hebrew word "she'ol" which YOU say means "hell" (which it does not).

So are you saying your God is in hell?

There certainly is a place that the wicked go, and there is a place that the righteous go.
Abraham got it right (Gen 18:25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?" )
As others have already told you (but you refuse to learn) this is talking about the city of Sodom, which was destroyed. NO mention of a "hell".

You say there is no devil, so who is it that tempted Eve, and who was it that tortured Job?
A snake tempted Eve.

An adversary against Job tortured him. The adversary had to have permission from YHVH to do it. So the adversary was not a "rebellious fallen angel/devil".

Even a bad translation can have good points—overall one learns to distinguish these errors and arrive at a viable understanding. <snip a lot of irrelevant and totally unrelated things>
Then why do you not know (with your "infallible knowledge") that there is no "Satan"/"devil"?. The word is properly translated as "adversary/opponent".

Why does you "wonderful" NIV get to "decide" when the Hebrew word for "adversary/opponent" is translated correctly, or translated wrongly as the "name" of a "devil" called "Satan"?

Quote:
Numbers 22:22 "But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the LORD stood in the road to oppose him." (NIV)

1 Kings 11:14 "Then the LORD raised up against Solomon an adversary, Hadad the Edomite, from the royal line of Edom." (NIV)

1 Kings 11:23 "And God raised up against Solomon another adversary, Rezon son of Eliada, who had fled from his master, Hadadezer king of Zobah." (NIV)

1 Samuel 29:4 (The Philistines say) "He (David) must not go with us into battle, or he will turn against us during the fighting." (NIV)
In every one of those verses the word(s) in bold is the Hebrew word "satan", which the NIV correctly translates as "adversary/opponent" (Except 1 Sam 29:4 where they translated it as "turn against" instead of "oppose". But the meaning is the same).

IF your NIV was consistent in translating the Hebrew word "satan", (to match whenever the NIV decides to (wrongly) "translate" it as the name ("Satan") of a "devil") those verses would read;

Numbers 22:22 "and the angel of the LORD stood in the road, Satan to him."

1 Kings 11:14 "Satan, Hadad the Edomite, from the royal line of Edom."

1 Kings 11:23 "Satan, Rezon son of Eliada, who had fled from his master, Hadadezer king of Zobah."

1 Samuel 29:4 (The Philistines say) "He (David) must not go with us into battle, or he (David) will be Satan during the fighting."

Why does your NIV deceive you with false translations?

IF your NIV was consistent and always translated the word "adversary/opponent" as the "name" ("Satan") of your "devil", then your "devil" is also named, "Hadad", "Rezon", "David" and "YHVH's anger" (I Chronicles 21.1/
II Samuel 24.1)

Will the real "devil" please stand up!

(Repeat, There is no "Satan". The word is properly translated as "adversary/opponent").

WHERE is your "infallible knowledge"?

I still have an infallible knowledge of the will of the Creator
You keep using that word......

So will you be among the third left? (Zec 13:8 In the whole land," declares the LORD, "two-thirds will be struck down and perish; yet one-third will be left in it. )
Irrelevant. You think the Third Temple has already been built and destroyed. So, according to your logic, the "End Times" have already happened.

And the planet is still here, and everything is still the same as always.

You see we are not wanting you to become Christians—
Then what are all the missionaries doing?

Last edited by Zivan; 8th November 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:47 AM   #451
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
Their graves. As others have already told you "gathered to his people" is a metaphor for death/grave.
<!--Snipped for brevity-->
Then what are all the missionaries doing?
Shortly before you started posting I compared PB to the priests of Baal praying for their deity to ignite their sacrifice for them. I mentioned Paul was lucky there was no Elijah in the sidelines quietly pouring water on his sacrifice.

You keep calling down fire on PB's head, and he's just sitting there going, "This is fine."
Old 8th November 2016, 11:57 AM   #452
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Using a non-Biblical example of challenges in translation (and one appropriate to the season) and in particular of translating poetic language, here is the poem ... <snip poem>
Those able to read both will note that while the French adaptation is in the spirit of the original, it is not a word for word translation (for example, "In Flanders Fields", should be strictly translated as "Au champ des Flandres").
Thanks for this. I had not seen the translation before, and in my opinion it is a huge improvement on the original. This - I mean the juxtaposition of the last line here with what goes before - has always struck me as incongruous.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:

So we loved, were loved, and are now dead. And now you've to do the same in return to our opponents, because we still have a "quarrel" with them. Sounds like a brawl outside a pub.

Compare the corresponding French words describing the "quarrel": you must continue the fight in which we died:

À vous de porter l'oriflamme
Et de garder au fond de l'âme
Le goût de vivre en liberté.

Retain in your soul the desire to live in freedom. Is that not so much more seemly, as a motive for prosecuting a war?

As to the removal of the specific reference to "Flanders", for which the French translation substitutes "the field of honour"; that is in order too. The war was fought across Western Flanders and Northern France, with similar slaughter in every region that it touched.

In Flanders the language of the majority is not French, but Dutch. That, however, is not relevant to the message of the poem, and the geographical specific is therefore best omitted.

Last edited by Craig B; 8th November 2016 at 11:58 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:58 AM   #453
Zivan
Muse

Shortly before you started posting I compared PB to the priests of Baal praying for their deity to ignite their sacrifice for them. I mentioned Paul was lucky there was no Elijah in the sidelines quietly pouring water on his sacrifice.

You keep calling down fire on PB's head, and he's just sitting there going, "This is fine."
I LOVE that "This is fine" link!

It is so perfect and describes PB exactly!

IF he responds to my last post, he will quote a lot of irrelevant verses, say that I am wrong on everything......

.....and declare himself "infallible". *sigh*
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:18 PM   #454
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

I LOVE that "This is fine" link!

It is so perfect and describes PB exactly!

IF he responds to my last post, he will quote a lot of irrelevant verses, say that I am wrong on everything......

.....and declare himself "infallible". *sigh*
Don't forget adding a bunch of verses from the New Testament to a discussion about the content of the Old Testament and lobbing in a few gleeful vows of eternal damnation to the lot of us.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:40 PM   #455
Zivan
Muse

Don't forget adding a bunch of verses from the New Testament to a discussion about the content of the Old Testament
I know right?

He does not understand the concept that "NT" is not the same as "OT".

And/or will not admit his belief in a devil/hell is not found in the OT, so he quotes from the NT to "prove" his point.

And when everyone points out his failure he.....

and lobbing in a few gleeful vows of eternal damnation to the lot of us.
....does that ^

Old 8th November 2016, 12:55 PM   #456
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

He does not understand the concept that "NT" is not the same as "OT".
This is not unique to him. Christians are raised to see the NT as the fulfillment of the OT. The fact that there are SUBSTANTIAL theological shifts are largely lost as the only "change" really taught is the arrival of the Messiah. Most Christians aren't even aware of the massive theological shifts between the older and newer Gospels.

PB is mistakenly trying to argue about what the Christian Bible as a whole says about Satan and the afterlife. The fact that the OT says substantially different things about those topics than the NT is probably news to him. This thread may literally be the very first time this concept is being introduced to him. This would be a a heady concept for someone willing to learn. I can't imagine how a man convinced he's infallible in his interpretation of scripture could even BEGIN to process such information.

Until he finds a way to spin it as something he always knew, like the way he's now responding to discussion of how many temples have existed, I doubt we'll get anything but over denial and mocking from him.
Old 8th November 2016, 03:15 PM   #457
Zivan
Muse

This is not unique to him. Christians are raised to see the NT as the fulfillment of the OT. The fact that there are SUBSTANTIAL theological shifts are largely lost as the only "change" really taught is the arrival of the Messiah. Most Christians aren't even aware of the massive theological shifts between the older and newer Gospels.

PB is mistakenly trying to argue about what the Christian Bible as a whole says about Satan and the afterlife. The fact that the OT says substantially different things about those topics than the NT is probably news to him. This thread may literally be the very first time this concept is being introduced to him. This would be a a heady concept for someone willing to learn. I can't imagine how a man convinced he's infallible in his interpretation of scripture could even BEGIN to process such information.
I have seen what you are talking about, with the missionaries. To them, the OT and NT are all one "book", and they do not see the contradiction. They seem to think that Judaism is "Christianity minus Jesus". They do not understand at all that there are major differences, that have nothing to do with who is/is not "The Messiah". In Judaism, it has never been an issue when someone claims (there have been MANY) to be "The Messiah". It is not a "sin" or a "crime" as the NT portrays.

The difference is not about "Messiah". The difference is the two beliefs systems are so opposite. Judaism is all about "this physical life/world" and Christianity is all about the "afterlife/heaven/hell".

The missionaries can not understand, and are not willing to try (because it will upset their beliefs).

I have not studied the NT, but I have read it (I was shocked!) and read a bit about the history of when/where/how it was put together. It is too bad that Christians do not know the history of their own NT.

But, religious/observant Jews do the same thing about the Tanakh. They actually believe the Torah was given "at Sinai" to "~3 million witnesses", instead of the truth. They do not want to hear that parts were written over many centuries, and the whole thing was put together according to the already established beliefs during the 2nd Temple era.

I have studied with the Samaritans (very interesting!) and compared their Torah with the Jewish Torah, which have some major differences. (And their Torah was also "divinely given" at Sinai).

Until he finds a way to spin it as something he always knew, like the way he's now responding to discussion of how many temples have existed, I doubt we'll get anything but over denial and mocking from him.
I think your prediction will be 100% true....

Last edited by Zivan; 8th November 2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 8th November 2016, 03:36 PM   #458
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Christians are raised to see the NT as the fulfillment of the OT.
And Mormons the same, with the Book of Mormon taking the next step of fulfillment.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:40 PM   #459
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
And Mormons the same, with the Book of Mormon taking the next step of fulfillment.
At least they don't claim three million witnesses to the divine origin of the Book of Mormon. They are content with a million times fewer.
The Three Witnesses were a group of three early leaders of the Latter Day Saint movement who wrote in a statement of 1830 that an angel had shown them the golden plates from which Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and that they had heard God's voice testifying that the book had been translated by the power of God.
Wiki.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:29 PM   #460
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
The Three Witnesses...
Many, many years ago a last-minute change in traveling companions and a car breakdown permitted me to stay overnight at the former home of one of them, in New York. I forget which one, but the house was quite attractive. Our traveling companion -- a Utah resident and former New Yorker -- knew the live-in Mormon curators of the house/museum at the time, and arranged accommodations there. The curators were very gracious; they recognized I had only a passing interest in the religious significance of the house, but a keen interest in early 19th century Americana and artifacts, and entertained my interest in their preservation efforts. Sorry for the off-topic reverie, but I had forgotten about that stayover until you mentioned it.

Back to the notion of revisionism, I have to readily agree with the proposition that modern Christians really don't understand the OT, and Mr Bethke epitomizes that. It would be one thing if Christians just admitted they have reinterpreted the elder law, but they don't. They seem to believe that what they glean from the OT is fundamentally what the Jewish faith gleans from it, sans Jesus as Zivan says.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:28 AM   #461
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Zivan,

Let's say an American whose wife qualifies for citizenship in Israel finds himself seeking to learn modern Hebrew.

Are there any resources or self-study programs / applications you would recommend?
Old 9th November 2016, 08:20 AM   #462
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

How very strange ...

One should think that someone who is both immortal and who has God as a BFF would ever have to deal with something as mundane as a Forum suspension.
Old 9th November 2016, 08:41 AM   #463
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
How very strange ...

One should think that someone who is both immortal and who has God as a BFF would ever have to deal with something as mundane as a Forum suspension.
Damn, and here I was hoping to get his commentary on how he'd just rejected the entirety of the Biblical End Times prophesy by proclaiming Herod's temple was the third temple.
Old 9th November 2016, 08:51 AM   #464
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Damn, and here I was hoping to get his commentary on how he'd just rejected the entirety of the Biblical End Times prophesy by proclaiming Herod's temple was the third temple.
Any idea what he did?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:00 AM   #465
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Any idea what he did?
I suspect it was accumulation of personal insults. I kept getting notices that my posts had been edited only to find the edits were because of rule breaches in the PB comments I was quoting.

I supposed it's just as well. If he learned how to actually debate people instead of just insulting them he might eventually accumulate converts.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:51 AM   #466
Zivan
Muse

Zivan,

Let's say an American whose wife qualifies for citizenship in Israel finds himself seeking to learn modern Hebrew.

Are there any resources or self-study programs / applications you would recommend?
(Sorry, my computer keeps crashing and I could not get online).

There are many different books/resourses and I think it is a personal preference for each person.

Here is one I think is good. It includes more common expressions and not just "proper" Hebrew. (For example, many books will teach you to say "shmi" for "my name is....". This book shows you that, and also "kor'im li......", which is what most people actually say instead of "shmi").

Plus, it has audio and a website to practice hearing/speaking:

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Langua...anguage+hebrew

This is a good online dictionary. There is also an app (many Israelis use it). Unfortunately the app is only in Hebrew, but the online site is both Hebrew and English. (You can still use the Hebrew app to search words in Hebrew or English).

http://www.morfix.co.il/en/

Guy Sharett (lives in Tel Aviv) has a weekly short podcast (~10 minutes) to teach English speakers common every day Hebrew, includes slang which is used a lot. It is called "Streetwise Hebrew". You can subscribe to the podcasts. (He is a very nice person and also gives "grafitti tours" in Tel Aviv).

http://tlv1.fm/podcasts/streetwise-hebrew-show/

I hope that helps for a start.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:27 AM   #467
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Zivan,

...asking for a friend?
Old 9th November 2016, 11:32 AM   #468
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

...asking for a friend?
No, for me.

Given some of his speeches and ads, antisemitism is in the cards for a Trump Administration, so having a viable exist strategy is wise, the sooner preparation starts the better.

Besides, I think it would be a riot to translate my x-rated political parody writing into Hebrew and see if it sells any better than the English version.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 9th November 2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:36 AM   #469
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect it was accumulation of personal insults. I kept getting notices that my posts had been edited only to find the edits were because of rule breaches in the PB comments I was quoting.

I supposed it's just as well. If he learned how to actually debate people instead of just insulting them he might eventually accumulate converts.
Prolly a derail. I shall take it to PM.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 11:37 AM   #470
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

No, for me.

Given some of his speeches and ads, antisemitism is in the cards for a Trump Administration, so having a viable exist strategy is wise, the sooner preparation starts the better.

Besides, I think it would be a riot to translate my x-rated political parody writing into Hebrew and see if it sells any better than the English version.
Sorry--just trying to be funny. I'm not very good at it...
Old 9th November 2016, 11:48 AM   #471
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

No, for me.

If you mean "exit" strategy - requiring an "exist" strategy seems a bit extreme as yet - that's rather like my Brexit strategy in the UK.

Well, I've got two: get my country, Scotland, to secede from the British Union and remain in the European Union. But that doesn't depend on me alone, so I'm also applying for a Republic of Ireland passport, to which the birthplace of my grandmother entitles me.

Last edited by Craig B; 9th November 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:51 AM   #472
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Enough people consider the election results to be sign enough of the end times that the Canadian immigration website crashed earlier today.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:53 AM   #473
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry--just trying to be funny. I'm not very good at it...
No need to apologize. I'm in a position where I need to seriously contemplate options for getting my wife and sons out of the country for their personal safety. I'd say I need all the jokes and humor I can get!

Canada isn't really an option because I'd need to know French to really have a shot. Israel is better but still dodgy as an option because the period of "Oh, your're a Jew! Come on in!" has been closing down for a while now and immigration has been getting harder for a number of years. (I researched the process a few years ago because a friend was considering moving but decided it was too much hassle at the time.)
Old 9th November 2016, 11:54 AM   #474
Hans
Philosopher

....try translating it into Arabic* anything X rated will be appreciated.

*Levantine especially the Lebanonese, Nadji, and Hejazi dialects .....you can find speakers of those dialects in Israel too due to forced exodus.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 11:54 AM   #475
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
If you mean "exit" strategy - requiring an "exist" strategy seems a bit extreme as yet - that's rather like my Brexit strategy in the UK.

Well, I've got two: get my country, Scotland, to secede from the British Union and remain in the European Union. But that doesn't depend on me alone, so I'm also applying for a Republic of Ireland passport, to which the birthplace of my grandmother entitles me.
I appear to have engaged in Freudian typing.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:55 AM   #476
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No need to apologize. I'm in a position where I need to seriously contemplate options for getting my wife and sons out of the country for their personal safety. I'd say I need all the jokes and humor I can get!

Canada isn't really an option because I'd need to know French to really have a shot. Israel is better but still dodgy as an option because the period of "Oh, your're a Jew! Come on in!" has been closing down for a while now and immigration has been getting harder for a number of years. (I researched the process a few years ago because a friend was considering moving but decided it was too much hassle at the time.)
How about the UK?

Old 9th November 2016, 11:56 AM   #477
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
....try translating it into Arabic* anything X rated will be appreciated.

*Levantine especially the Lebanonese, Nadji, and Hejazi dialects .....you can find speakers of those dialects in Israel too due to forced exodus.
Arabic and Persian both show up in Google Translate as options. I have a friend who learned Persian while a British office. I wonder if I could get her to proofread the results...
Old 9th November 2016, 12:01 PM   #478
Hans
Philosopher

Arabic and Persian both show up in Google Translate as options. I have a friend who learned Persian while a British office. I wonder if I could get her to proofread the results...
Sorry don't know about present day Farsi interest in said writings. I deal with 19th Persian mainly. The desire for content is high in those Arabic dialects... Not Cairo though as its treated as cartoonish ...kinda like Cockney in English.

Good luck
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 12:10 PM   #479
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

(Sorry, my computer keeps crashing and I could not get online).

There are many different books/resourses and I think it is a personal preference for each person.
Thank you very much! I'll check them out.

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
How about the UK?
UKIP is pretty much the prelude to Trump. Besides, it gets me to the same problem I have with Canada. I'm a computer programmer, not exactly a skill either country is chomping at the bit to get more of.
Old 9th November 2016, 12:11 PM   #480
Zivan
Muse

I do not know how Google Translate is with other languages, but for Hebrew, it gives very strange "translations" sometimes. Very strange.

(Ugh! My computer has crashed for good. My friend let me use hers for that last post and this one, but she told me not to "get attached", lol).
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy