IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fidel castro , justin trudeau

Old 29th October 2020, 05:04 AM   #161
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
Privacy is requesting a beach with no tourists. They were hiding the destination. Why would a politician hide the destination of a harmless vacation?

The only reason I can think of, is because visiting brutal communist dictators who were responsible for the murders and executions of tens of thousands of people is [i]stigmatized[/], let alone the idea using said dictator as a surrogate father.

The photos with an adoring Margaret Trudeau and her hands all over Fidel Castro indicate they weren’t ashamed of him - so why hide the visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Privacy is a basic human right. It does not have to be justified: that's the point of human rights, they apply to all, equally.
Why should they have to tell anyone where they went on holiday? What business is it of yours?
It is one of the more curious features of conspiracy theorists that they express disdain for the very rights they purport to be defending.

Last edited by Cosmic Yak; 29th October 2020 at 05:12 AM.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 06:57 AM   #162
SteveAitch
Student

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I knew it!

<Image not shown due to board reasons>
1. Wow, that looks like young Zach Braff - Tim Allen is his father?!?

2. Private Eye does a separated at birth item in most issues - they usually look even less like the Trudeau/Castro pairings!

3. Genetics is funny - I don't look like my father, I look like my grandfather (my grandmother would sometimes call me by his name) and my father looks like HIS grandfather. Chuck in a few of my mum's genes and there you go - hardly any resemblence.
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 07:34 AM   #163
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Privacy is requesting a beach with no tourists. They were hiding the destination. Why would a politician hide the destination of a harmless vacation?

The only reason I can think of, is because visiting brutal communist dictators who were responsible for the murders and executions of tens of thousands of people is [i]stigmatized[/], let alone the idea using said dictator as a surrogate father.

The photos with an adoring Margaret Trudeau and her hands all over Fidel Castro indicate they weren’t ashamed of him - so why hide the visit?

That's not how babies are made.
Old 29th October 2020, 09:13 AM   #164
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's not how babies are made.
Cue the storks!!

Old 29th October 2020, 12:15 PM   #165
Tippit
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Privacy is a basic human right. It does not have to be justified: that's the point of human rights, they apply to all, equally.
Why should they have to tell anyone where they went on holiday? What business is it of yours?
It is one of the more curious features of conspiracy theorists that they express disdain for the very rights they purport to be defending.

Says the clowns who are lining up to censor me, and take my guns. Too funny, and too hypocritical.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 11.

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again.”
- Josiah Stamp

Last edited by zooterkin; 1st November 2020 at 01:07 PM.
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 12:18 PM   #166
Tippit
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

They don’t have to, but then it leads to questions like “what actual island did the Trudeaus visit?”. I’m fine with privacy, but when our elected rulers feel they need to hide their itinerary, it raises some questions.

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again.”
- Josiah Stamp
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 03:40 PM   #167
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Says the clowns who are lining up to censor me.
No one is censoring you. Everyone here simply asks you to provide evidence. You refuse to do so and got caught copying other people's conspiracy blogs as your "evidence".

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...21&postcount=5

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8&postcount=38
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:11 PM   #168
eerok
Quixoticist

And yes, privacy is a right, but there should be a different standard for the politicians who rule over us.
Does this standard still apply to defending against some weirdo BS that crops up 20 years after you die? You see, no one really cared where the Trudeaus visited in the Caribbean until just now. Most of us still don't care.

Last edited by eerok; 29th October 2020 at 04:16 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:47 PM   #169
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
There's the point. These similarities are so commonplace that there is an entire website dedicated to these random similarities.
Imagine a casting agent, looking for an actor to play someone famous from history. They probably have hundreds of close look-a-likes. They then have the additional problem of sounding-a-like and so forth.

I agree. Look-a-likes are probably very common.

64 Actors Who Look Like The Historic People They Played
https://www.boredpanda.com/actor-cel...mpaign=organic

(The comparison pictures are on one page and thus fast to look at with no re-loading.)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:57 PM   #170
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I agree. Look-a-likes are probably very common.
They always have been. Unfortunately, conspiracists are also very common these days.

The internet has made the ridiculous a point of interest. The stupider the claim, the more some people seem to like it.
Old 29th October 2020, 10:06 PM   #171
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ecc3a004a1.jpg

Forget Castro.

This is Pierre Trudeau.

Vladimir Putin and Justin Trudeau are brothers.
Seriously, though, this conspiracy theory has just as much validity at this point as the OP's.

Not only do they look alike, Vladimir Putin was born 7 October 1952, Pierre Trudeau was in the USSR in early 1952, but I haven't found out what month.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 05:05 AM   #172
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Says the clowns who are lining up to censor me, and take my guns.
Well, no-one here is attempting to censor you, and I for one have no interest in taking your guns.
Who are these evil clowns that you claim are menacing you?

Edited for rule 11.
Edited for rule 11.

And yes, privacy is a right, but there should be a different standard for the politicians who rule over us.
I do not agree that basic human rights should be upheld or denied depending on one's profession.
There is a difference between accountability and transparency, which are essential for good governance, and spying on private activities when those activities have no bearing on the exercise of a politician's job.
The families of politicians also have a right to privacy and family life, like anyone else. It is interesting that you slam totalitarianism, whilst at the same time advocating an intrusive surveillance state. Some might call this an obvious double standard.

Last edited by zooterkin; 1st November 2020 at 01:08 PM.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 06:28 AM   #173
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I think this must be the most silly conspiracy theory ever, because it is both so harmless and so obvious. Why not admit it? Look at Pierre, look at Fidel, look at Justin. There is just no doubt. And it isn't Justin's fault, as much as some people "hate communism".
It's silly because it's ******* stupid to think that two people who show a moderate resemblance to one another in photographs must be blood relatives.

If you include any portrait in the history of photography then you have a massive pool from which to look for resemblance. Someone would have to be a complete moron to think that every single individual out of a sample of billions should each look absolutely distinct from every other example. Either that, or suffering from the sort of mental illness that causes people to think that traffic lights are telling them that the CHUDs and the Mole Men are planning a hostile overthrow of the Reptiloids.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 06:32 AM   #174
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They don’t have to, but then it leads to questions like “what actual island did the Trudeaus visit?”. I’m fine with privacy, but when our elected rulers feel they need to hide their itinerary, it raises some questions.

Even if Castro and Trudeaus were ever on the same island, it does not then follow that Fidel's purple headed warrior invaded Mrs. Trudeau's quivering mound of love pudding.
Old 30th October 2020, 05:32 PM   #175
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
You have to consider that the only thing required for Justin Trudeau to become the king of Cuba is that Cubans decide to turn their country into a hereditary monarchy.
Any day now ...
Well we have one Communist monarchy (North Korea). Maybe the only other remaining communist government in the world will decide to go that route too. It could happen. Then again, in most monarchies, illegitimate offspring of the monarch are not eligible for succession.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories