ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags immortality , logic

Reply
Old 14th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #121
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Mmm, people would understand better if you used language.

And since you CAN make the above statement, why don't you do that in the first place? This is one thing that provokes people: You make some statement that is practically incomprehensible, then when people ask what you mean, you are perfectly able to make yourself understood. So what was the purpose of the gibberish statement?

Hans
Rhetorical statement & questions.

Many things can be valid in absolute or prime truth but irrational in current due to change in need of time/environment/evolution. Still science look prime i.e which we can not see/sense directly. QED.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 10:10 PM   #122
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,689
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
There can be many truths which may not be rationals due to change of need of time/environment/evolution. But we can still see both truth & rationals to arrive at complete picture. Why physics look, which we can not see/sense directly?
We physics look when fails the nonsense sense to make, or religion odds the brain to sludgy mush as here we see the sad denouement.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:04 AM   #123
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
We physics look when fails the nonsense sense to make, or religion odds the brain to sludgy mush as here we see the sad denouement.
Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality, equanimity and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.

Last edited by Kumar; 15th November 2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:09 AM   #124
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,593
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?

Nobody has ever attained omniscience.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:15 AM   #125
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Nobody has ever attained omniscience.
Quote:
Literary sources[edit]

The claim of existence of omniscience by Jains, who deny the existence of a creator god, is a unique phenomenon.[8] The Sutrakritanga text of the Svetambara school, elaborates the concept as all-knowing and provides details of his other qualities.[9] Another text, the Kalpa Sūtra, gives details of Mahavira's omniscience


When the Venerable Ascetic Mahavira had become a Jina and Arhat (Arihant), he was a Kevali, omniscient and comprehending all objects; he knew and saw all conditions of the world, of gods, men, and demons: whence they come, whither they go, whether they are born as men or animals or become gods or hell-beings (upapada), the ideas, the thoughts of their minds, the food, doings, desires, the open and secret deeds of all the living beings in the whole world; he the Arhat (Arihant), for whom there is no secret, knew and saw all conditions of all living beings in the world.:[10]

Immediately after the death of Mahavira, his disciple Indrabhuti Gautama became a kevalin.[11] As per the tradition, the teachings of the tirthankara were memorized and preserved over many centuries.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevala_Jnana
Also many others.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:20 AM   #126
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 20,371
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Also many others.
You suddenly believe a Wiki entry is the Truth? Interesting.

From that Wiki page:

Quote:
Kevala jnana is believed to be an intrinsic quality of all souls.
Perhaps you filed to notice the highlighted word?

Hans
__________________
If you love life, you must accept the traces it leaves.

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 15th November 2017 at 02:22 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:45 AM   #127
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
You suddenly believe a Wiki entry is the Truth? Interesting.

From that Wiki page:



Perhaps you filed to notice the highlighted word?

Hans
Nothing odd in it. Today, it is common term. Shouldn't had you pointed out when other poster quoted wiki link?
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.

Last edited by Kumar; 15th November 2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:54 AM   #128
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,250
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?
90's grunge scene not omniscient, much very equanimity. No scracity of opinions, tttttttttt. Career of Nirvana A&F over, complete, for gross prime energy shotgun kablooie.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:04 AM   #129
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,593
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality, equanimity and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?

No, we're comparing people who are able to back up their arguments with evidence and reason with someone who is reduced to arguing that his assertions should be accepted as true because they are irrational.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:45 AM   #130
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, we're comparing people who are able to back up their arguments with evidence and reason with someone who is reduced to arguing that his assertions should be accepted as true because they are irrational.
Do you mean A&F evidences? To compare you may need A&F evidences and omnicience.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:29 AM   #131
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,593
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Do you mean A&F evidences?

No, just evidence. "A&F" is nonsense.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:43 AM   #132
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, just evidence. "A&F" is nonsense.
Such may be needed to get, benefit of doubt or of disclaimer.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:46 AM   #133
jond
Master Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,961
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, just evidence. "A&F" is nonsense.
It's worse than that: he uses his A&F nonsense to refuse to accept repeateable, testable scientific conclusions, then castigates us for not having open minds. When in reality it is precisely the fact that science doesn't have A&F conclusions that means our minds are open, but will be persuaded by solid evidence. Meanwhile his mind is entirely closed to anything that doesn't fit his preconceived ideas.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 08:24 AM   #134
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,670
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Do you mean A&F evidences? To compare you may need A&F evidences and omnicience.
N. Just AF. Tedious af.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:13 PM   #135
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 20,371
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Nothing odd in it. Today, it is common term. Shouldn't had you pointed out when other poster quoted wiki link?
Kumar, you have quoted a Wiki link about what some people believe about omniscience, and you claim it is proof of omniscience. The problem is not that it is a Wiki link, the problem is that you don't understand (or pretend not to) what it says.

Hans
__________________
If you love life, you must accept the traces it leaves.

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 15th November 2017 at 02:14 PM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:36 PM   #136
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,593
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Nobody has ever attained omniscience.
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Quote:
Literary sources[edit]

The claim of existence of omniscience by Jains, who deny the existence of a creator god, is a unique phenomenon.[8] The Sutrakritanga text of the Svetambara school, elaborates the concept as all-knowing and provides details of his other qualities.[9] Another text, the Kalpa Sūtra, gives details of Mahavira's omniscience


When the Venerable Ascetic Mahavira had become a Jina and Arhat (Arihant), he was a Kevali, omniscient and comprehending all objects; he knew and saw all conditions of the world, of gods, men, and demons: whence they come, whither they go, whether they are born as men or animals or become gods or hell-beings (upapada), the ideas, the thoughts of their minds, the food, doings, desires, the open and secret deeds of all the living beings in the whole world; he the Arhat (Arihant), for whom there is no secret, knew and saw all conditions of all living beings in the world.:[10]

Immediately after the death of Mahavira, his disciple Indrabhuti Gautama became a kevalin.[11] As per the tradition, the teachings of the tirthankara were memorized and preserved over many centuries.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevala_Jnana
Also many others.

Cool story bro.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:37 PM   #137
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,593
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
N.

OMG, the spurious accents are catching!
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:58 PM   #138
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,689
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
ɱǴ, the spurious accents are catching!
Autocorrect of the new world order has fixed it for you.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 06:08 PM   #139
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster
 
Little 10 Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,836
Wi nt trei a hliday in Sweden this yr ?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 02:49 AM   #140
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,670
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
OMG, the spurious accents are catching!
'll hvẽ you know I craft ach ȯne by hand!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:09 AM   #141
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
OMG, the spurious accents are catching!
OMG? Surprising? Yes on ultimate God is always remembered by every one.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:13 AM   #142
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,689
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
OMG? Surprising? Yes on ultimate God is always remembered by every one.
It's true that our language carries a lot of residual reference to God which even those who do not believe often use because common language makes for clear communication. Do not take it too seriously. Everyone says goodbye, even those who don't know what it means.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #143
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's true that our language carries a lot of residual reference to God which even those who do not believe often use because common language makes for clear communication. Do not take it too seriously. Everyone says goodbye, even those who don't know what it means.
True. Nothing odd in remembering god. God s not odd.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:02 PM   #144
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,689
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
True. Nothing odd in remembering god. God s not odd.
You do of course utterly miss the point. When we say "goodbye" we are not, or at least not likely, remembering God at all. We are using a figure of speech which once referred to God. Half the days of the week refer to the pantheistic gods of the Norse, but nobody would suggest that making a date for next Thursday relates in any useful way to the existence of Thor.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:24 PM   #145
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,874
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
You do of course utterly miss the point. When we say "goodbye" we are not, or at least not likely, remembering God at all. We are using a figure of speech which once referred to God. Half the days of the week refer to the pantheistic gods of the Norse, but nobody would suggest that making a date for next Thursday relates in any useful way to the existence of Thor.
Should we not A&F?
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.