ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags immortality , logic

Old 14th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #121
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Mmm, people would understand better if you used language.

And since you CAN make the above statement, why don't you do that in the first place? This is one thing that provokes people: You make some statement that is practically incomprehensible, then when people ask what you mean, you are perfectly able to make yourself understood. So what was the purpose of the gibberish statement?

Hans
Rhetorical statement & questions.

Many things can be valid in absolute or prime truth but irrational in current due to change in need of time/environment/evolution. Still science look prime i.e which we can not see/sense directly. QED.
Old 14th November 2017, 10:10 PM   #122
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
There can be many truths which may not be rationals due to change of need of time/environment/evolution. But we can still see both truth & rationals to arrive at complete picture. Why physics look, which we can not see/sense directly?
We physics look when fails the nonsense sense to make, or religion odds the brain to sludgy mush as here we see the sad denouement.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:04 AM   #123
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
We physics look when fails the nonsense sense to make, or religion odds the brain to sludgy mush as here we see the sad denouement.
Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality, equanimity and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?

Last edited by Kumar; 15th November 2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:09 AM   #124
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?

Nobody has ever attained omniscience.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:15 AM   #125
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Quote:
Literary sources[edit]

The claim of existence of omniscience by Jains, who deny the existence of a creator god, is a unique phenomenon.[8] The Sutrakritanga text of the Svetambara school, elaborates the concept as all-knowing and provides details of his other qualities.[9] Another text, the Kalpa Sūtra, gives details of Mahavira's omniscience

When the Venerable Ascetic Mahavira had become a Jina and Arhat (Arihant), he was a Kevali, omniscient and comprehending all objects; he knew and saw all conditions of the world, of gods, men, and demons: whence they come, whither they go, whether they are born as men or animals or become gods or hell-beings (upapada), the ideas, the thoughts of their minds, the food, doings, desires, the open and secret deeds of all the living beings in the whole world; he the Arhat (Arihant), for whom there is no secret, knew and saw all conditions of all living beings in the world.:[10]

Immediately after the death of Mahavira, his disciple Indrabhuti Gautama became a kevalin.[11] As per the tradition, the teachings of the tirthankara were memorized and preserved over many centuries.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevala_Jnana
Also many others.
Old 15th November 2017, 02:20 AM   #126
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Also many others.
You suddenly believe a Wiki entry is the Truth? Interesting.

From that Wiki page:

Quote:
Kevala jnana is believed to be an intrinsic quality of all souls.
Perhaps you filed to notice the highlighted word?

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 15th November 2017 at 02:22 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:45 AM   #127
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
You suddenly believe a Wiki entry is the Truth? Interesting.

From that Wiki page:

Perhaps you filed to notice the highlighted word?

Hans
Nothing odd in it. Today, it is common term. Shouldn't had you pointed out when other poster quoted wiki link?

Last edited by Kumar; 15th November 2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:54 AM   #128
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?
90's grunge scene not omniscient, much very equanimity. No scracity of opinions, tttttttttt. Career of Nirvana A&F over, complete, for gross prime energy shotgun kablooie.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:04 AM   #129
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Are you comparing those, who attained OMNISCIENCE , highest morality, equanimity and ultimate goal to be human being i.e NIRVANA with those who are neither yet A&F nor can be?

No, we're comparing people who are able to back up their arguments with evidence and reason with someone who is reduced to arguing that his assertions should be accepted as true because they are irrational.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:45 AM   #130
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

No, we're comparing people who are able to back up their arguments with evidence and reason with someone who is reduced to arguing that his assertions should be accepted as true because they are irrational.
Do you mean A&F evidences? To compare you may need A&F evidences and omnicience.
Old 15th November 2017, 05:29 AM   #131
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Do you mean A&F evidences?

No, just evidence. "A&F" is nonsense.

Old 15th November 2017, 05:43 AM   #132
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Such may be needed to get, benefit of doubt or of disclaimer.
Old 15th November 2017, 05:46 AM   #133
jond
Master Poster

It's worse than that: he uses his A&F nonsense to refuse to accept repeateable, testable scientific conclusions, then castigates us for not having open minds. When in reality it is precisely the fact that science doesn't have A&F conclusions that means our minds are open, but will be persuaded by solid evidence. Meanwhile his mind is entirely closed to anything that doesn't fit his preconceived ideas.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 08:24 AM   #134
Donn
Philosopher

Do you mean A&F evidences? To compare you may need A&F evidences and omnicience.
N. Just AF. Tedious af.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:13 PM   #135
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing odd in it. Today, it is common term. Shouldn't had you pointed out when other poster quoted wiki link?
Kumar, you have quoted a Wiki link about what some people believe about omniscience, and you claim it is proof of omniscience. The problem is not that it is a Wiki link, the problem is that you don't understand (or pretend not to) what it says.

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 15th November 2017 at 02:14 PM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:36 PM   #136
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Literary sources[edit]

The claim of existence of omniscience by Jains, who deny the existence of a creator god, is a unique phenomenon.[8] The Sutrakritanga text of the Svetambara school, elaborates the concept as all-knowing and provides details of his other qualities.[9] Another text, the Kalpa Sūtra, gives details of Mahavira's omniscience

When the Venerable Ascetic Mahavira had become a Jina and Arhat (Arihant), he was a Kevali, omniscient and comprehending all objects; he knew and saw all conditions of the world, of gods, men, and demons: whence they come, whither they go, whether they are born as men or animals or become gods or hell-beings (upapada), the ideas, the thoughts of their minds, the food, doings, desires, the open and secret deeds of all the living beings in the whole world; he the Arhat (Arihant), for whom there is no secret, knew and saw all conditions of all living beings in the world.:[10]

Immediately after the death of Mahavira, his disciple Indrabhuti Gautama became a kevalin.[11] As per the tradition, the teachings of the tirthankara were memorized and preserved over many centuries.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevala_Jnana
Also many others.

Cool story bro.

Old 15th November 2017, 02:37 PM   #137
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
N.

OMG, the spurious accents are catching!

Old 15th November 2017, 05:58 PM   #138
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

ɱǴ, the spurious accents are catching!
Autocorrect of the new world order has fixed it for you.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 06:08 PM   #139
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Wi nt trei a hliday in Sweden this yr ?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 02:49 AM   #140
Donn
Philosopher

'll hvẽ you know I craft ach ȯne by hand!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:09 AM   #141
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

OMG? Surprising? Yes on ultimate God is always remembered by every one.
Old Today, 08:13 AM   #142
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

OMG? Surprising? Yes on ultimate God is always remembered by every one.
It's true that our language carries a lot of residual reference to God which even those who do not believe often use because common language makes for clear communication. Do not take it too seriously. Everyone says goodbye, even those who don't know what it means.

Old Today, 04:39 PM   #143
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

It's true that our language carries a lot of residual reference to God which even those who do not believe often use because common language makes for clear communication. Do not take it too seriously. Everyone says goodbye, even those who don't know what it means.
True. Nothing odd in remembering god. God s not odd.
Old Today, 07:02 PM   #144
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

True. Nothing odd in remembering god. God s not odd.
You do of course utterly miss the point. When we say "goodbye" we are not, or at least not likely, remembering God at all. We are using a figure of speech which once referred to God. Half the days of the week refer to the pantheistic gods of the Norse, but nobody would suggest that making a date for next Thursday relates in any useful way to the existence of Thor.

Old Today, 07:24 PM   #145
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

You do of course utterly miss the point. When we say "goodbye" we are not, or at least not likely, remembering God at all. We are using a figure of speech which once referred to God. Half the days of the week refer to the pantheistic gods of the Norse, but nobody would suggest that making a date for next Thursday relates in any useful way to the existence of Thor.
Should we not A&F?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy