ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th January 2020, 07:58 PM   #1
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Weirdness

Never experienced this one before -

Recently a very faint sound started coming through my computer's speakers. It sounds like an idling two-stroke motor - putt putt putt putt - incessantly. It stops when I either unplug the speakers from the jack or put my GPU idle by stopping Folding@Home.

A temporary fix was to plug the speakers in to the case jack and that stopped the noise while GPU is going full tilt.

Any idea of what could be causing this? I've updated both GPU driver and motherboard - problem persists.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 08:18 PM   #2
gmarshall
New Blood

I've had this happen to my speakers from time to time. For me, the wire connecting one of my speakers was running too close to other wires and picking up cross talk. Have you tried rerouting the wires to see if the putt putt changes/diminishes?
gmarshall is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 10:30 PM   #3
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Thank you and upon your advice, no dice.

Still puttin.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 10:53 PM   #4
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Have you tried running Linux?

Now for a real suggestion, the GPU may be causing enough electrical static that the wires might pick up. See if you can find any GPU testing software.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 02:26 AM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I had a similar issue through my headphones... and after a lot of tail-chasing, I solved it by replacing the headphone cable with a properly shielded twin audio coax cable, and soldering the shield to the "common" connection, which connected it to the tower case.

No more "putt-putt".

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 01:20 PM   #6
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I can see how that might work.

The putt-putt could be a charge building up in the Shield, and then discharging across a very small gap. As if the whole cable was working like an aerial and a capacitor at the same time.

Is it not usual practice to ground the shield?

(I've always done this, and now wonder if it is normal.)
Old 9th January 2020, 01:37 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Still puttin.
Is this an add-on speaker set with subwoofer? What brand and model are your speakers?
Old 9th January 2020, 01:59 PM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think I had that when my cable TV box was too close to my computer.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
Have you tried running Linux?

Now for a real suggestion, the GPU may be causing enough electrical static that the wires might pick up. See if you can find any GPU testing software.

I used to have a set of speakers that were really sensitive to outside signals.

Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop-Bzzzzzzz
Then I would receive a call on my cell phone. Every time.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:05 PM   #10
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I used to have a set of speakers that were really sensitive to outside signals.

Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop-Bzzzzzzz
Then I would receive a call on my cell phone. Every time.
boop-diddyboop-diddyboop-diddyboop

Ring! Ring!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet