ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 10th April 2020, 04:33 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Why Trump supporters may not think coronavirus is as serious as Democrats do

This article examines the data WRT coronavirus spread and compares it against voting preference

TL/DR version: There's a very strong correlation between the number of deahts per 100 people in any given county and the percentage of the population who voted for Trump. So Trump supporters are less likely to take it seriously than Democrats because the infection rate in their communities is not at the same point that it is in other places.
Old 10th April 2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This article examines the data WRT coronavirus spread and compares it against voting preference

TL/DR version: There's a very strong correlation between the number of deahts per 100 people in any given county and the percentage of the population who voted for Trump. So Trump supporters are less likely to take it seriously than Democrats because the infection rate in their communities is not at the same point that it is in other places.

It's mainly because they get their information from Fox.
Quote:
The novel coronavirus pandemic—which has already infected nearly half a million victims and claimed more than 16,000 lives in the United States alone—is proving to be significantly more lethal than the seasonal flu.

Yet 58 percent of self-identified Republicans who depend on Fox News, Breitbart, and other conservative media outlets for information about the public-health crisis erroneously believe that COVID-19 is “less deadly or as deadly as” influenza.

That’s according to the results of a new public-opinion survey released Thursday by the Knight Foundation and the Gallup polling organization.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/republ...hoods-new-poll

Also,
Quote:
On Monday, as he does most weekday nights, Sean Hannity went on television to inform his viewers that the mainstream media are a bunch of dirty liberal liars. On Fox News, the reason why they are liars is always moving target, but the current one is a real corker: hydroxychloroquine.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...loroquine.html

Last edited by Bob001; 10th April 2020 at 05:38 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 06:26 AM   #3
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Haven't read the article yet, but the difference in how seriously Trump supporters and others took this precedes any deaths in the US.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 01:26 PM   #4
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Haven't read the article yet, but the difference in how seriously Trump supporters and others took this precedes any deaths in the US.
There's a model that it's a pre existing worldview related to a sense of community vs individualism.

Studies show an overlap with AGW denialism.

The idea being one of cognitive dissonance.

"IF X is true
THEN my worldview Y is making things worse and I'm possibly a bad person for pursuing it.
THEREFORE X must be false."
Old 11th April 2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Simpler reason: They are the seriously thick and/or uneducated. Trump loves them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Cain
Straussian

They understand the media is hyping this to crash the Great economy and stop Trump from getting re-elected. It's the same reason they refuse to cover his ratings winning press conferences and try to downplay Hyrdroxycut.
Old 11th April 2020, 02:25 PM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
They understand the media is hyping this to crash the Great economy and stop Trump from getting re-elected. It's the same reason they refuse to cover his ratings winning press conferences and try to downplay Hyrdroxycut.
Bwaaaahaaahaaaaaa.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 03:13 PM   #8
applecorped
Banned

All of them? That's a lot of phone calls.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
Why Trump supporters may not think coronavirus is as serious as Democrats do
The Führer has decreed it is not dangerous and that it's under control. Not sure how many more reasons you need.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Bwaaaahaaahaaaaaa.
x2.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 02:26 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And all along I was thinking that it's because they are stupid **** twits.
Old 13th April 2020, 01:37 AM   #12
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I do wonder how it correlates with Trump supporters that are very online and feel a need to be performatively contrarian. Locally I'm somewhat pleased that our Trump supporters seem to be taking it seriously and, at the very least, are following all the social distancing mandates. Weirdly I even hear a lot of them praising our governor, Gavin Newsome, who used to have liberal cooties.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 03:08 AM   #13
Cheetah
Master Poster

Seems Blue states were harder hit because of more urbanization and higher population densities. This article implies it might no last, since Blue states have reacted earlier.

Coronavirus: Out of Many, One
What the US Federal Government and the States Should Do to Fight the Coronavirus
Old 13th April 2020, 10:26 AM   #14
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I do wonder how it correlates with Trump supporters that are very online and feel a need to be performatively contrarian. .
Some of the Trump supporters who I interact with on social media are positively schizoid about this right now. They alternate between posts that really over-hype the danger of the virus (contaminated gas-pump handles!), then posts that minimize the danger (liberal hoax!), then posts that throw conspiracy theories around (G5 data plans, Bill Gates vaccine, digital identity, stay at home orders all lumped into a big one), then posts that laud our doctors and nurses as heroes, comparing them to 9-11 first responders.

One posted a meme about the Bill Gates vaccine work (tying it in with digital identity CE). I called her out on it, and she replied that she didn't understand why I was calling her out on it because she was obviously pro-vaccination (despite now posting frequent anti-vaccine memes since the Gates Foundation's work with vaccines was announced).

Others post memes about how the threat is not really overblown, then when call out on it reply that they take this very, very seriously.

There is a stream of continuously self-contradicting messages coming out of these people.

I think this is honestly a very confusing and baffling event for them. It is inconsistent with their worldview, so their responses mirror that inconsistency.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 11:31 AM   #15
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Take a look at it. As of the date the article was written, the more heavily the population voted for Trump, the fewer cases and deaths per 100 people they're seeing—which is likely the exact opposite of what you'd expect (especially from the general trend of comments on this forum.) As the author notes:

Quote:
Outside of New York City, each 10% of additional votes for Trump correlates with being about half a week further back on the curve.
The author makes no attempt to explain why this is so, but does note that counties that voted for Trump will likely see a sharp increase in deaths over the coming days. This is as opposed to more "blue" counties where the epidemic is now on the downward trending part of the curve.

(If I've completely misinterpreted the article, someone is sure to correct me.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 11:35 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here's Bill Bennett claiming that because death estimates are now down to about 60,000, it's no worse than the flu and we shouldn't have shut the country down. Totally disregarding WHY death estimates are going down.
We're going to be seeing a lot of that from Trumpers, including some on this board.
Old 13th April 2020, 12:29 PM   #17
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Here's Bill Bennett claiming that because death estimates are now down to about 60,000, it's no worse than the flu and we shouldn't have shut the country down. Totally disregarding WHY death estimates are going down.
We're going to be seeing a lot of that from Trumpers, including some on this board.
Frustrating because many in this forum have been predicting such line of reasoning for some time now.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 12:43 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What do you meaning "going" to? That's been the party line for about two weeks now.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 01:46 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The worst non-Spanish flu season for deaths was 2017-2018 with an estimated 61,000 deaths. Flu season runs from October through May, eight months. That's an average of 7,625 deaths per month. Covid 19 killed its first US victim on Feb. 29. We now have 23,000+ confirmed* Covid 19 deaths in 1.5 months. According to the math, Covid 19 is far deadlier than the regular flu.

*This does not include deaths that are likely from Covid 19 that were unconfirmed due to lack of testing. There is also growing concern that many virus related deaths are not being counted due to false negative Covid 19 tests.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:10 PM   #20
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Locally I'm somewhat pleased that our Trump supporters seem to be taking it seriously and, at the very least, are following all the social distancing mandates. Weirdly I even hear a lot of them praising our governor, Gavin Newsome, who used to have liberal cooties.

I'm hoping that this pandemic will have an improvement on some of the knee-jerk partisanship we've seen so much of in recent years. One thing I've seen is that a lot of people are recognizing which leaders were full of crap, and which stepped up and did a good job, and how that correlates, or doesn't correlate, with their typical political leanings. You start to see how much of the usual bickering was just useless fluff, and how much was fundamental.

I know here in Canada, there's quite a bit of cross-party cooperation, and not just amongst the politicians. Conservatives have been praising the Liberal Prime Minister, and Liberals have been praising the Conservative Premier of Ontario. There's still some partisan BS going on, but most of it is coming from propaganda outlets. About the only Provincial government that is still getting flack is Alberta, and that's largely because their Premier isn't stepping up to show leadership. He's still pushing the same agenda they were before the pandemic, without any regard for how much sense it makes under the new situation.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
The author makes no attempt to explain why this is so, but does note that counties that voted for Trump will likely see a sharp increase in deaths over the coming days. This is as opposed to more "blue" counties where the epidemic is now on the downward trending part of the curve.

I think you'd also have to factor in some measure of "how rural" the areas are to really explain this. One point that was made after the election is that Trump did better in rural areas than urban or suburban areas. And Rural areas are, by their very nature, already practicing "social distancing" most of the time. That means the infection will tend to spread more slowly, without any effort on the part of those people.

Of course, it will still spread, which is why the author projects that these areas will eventually catch up, if they don't make any additional efforts to stop the spread.

Ironically, they should be far better off with just a few reasonable measures in place, like closing churches and banning sports, that would have far less of an impact on their economy, but if they reject the need for such measures, they'll likely end up getting it worse than the cities (relatively speaking), which are inherently harder to manage.
Old 13th April 2020, 04:11 PM   #21
Cain
Straussian

And that's in spite of social distancing. Some people suck at math. Don't let this guy near Atlantic City.
Old 13th April 2020, 08:00 PM   #22
Baylor
Philosopher

Media: "Blacks are hardest hit by the COVID-19 Pandemic."
Skeptics: "Republicans aren't taking COVID-19 as seriously as Democrats because they aren't as smart as them."

Good luck trying to make sense out of this, guys.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 08:18 PM   #23
Baylor
Philosopher

Maybe it has to do with it being older populations, longer first responder response times, underfunded rural hospitals etc.

But no, as usual with skeptics, they have to bring up their strange obsessions. As stated in the idiotic blog, "Trump counties" have LESS covid-19 cases per capita than "Democrat counties." But whad'ya know? Skeptic logic pretzels discovered who's really taking the pandemic less seriously and their comic book stereotypes were true all along!

Skeptics are so easy to gaslight.
"OOH LOOK a gUY OnliNE DOinG mAtH. HE sO sMarT!"

Last edited by Baylor; 13th April 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 08:54 PM   #24
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Take a look at it. As of the date the article was written, the more heavily the population voted for Trump, the fewer cases and deaths per 100 people they're seeing—which is likely the exact opposite of what you'd expect (especially from the general trend of comments on this forum.) As the author notes:
Quote:
Outside of New York City, each 10% of additional votes for Trump correlates with being about half a week further back on the curve.
The author makes no attempt to explain why this is so,
Rural and less populated areas were introduced to the virus later.

This article is nothing more than starting with a conclusion and working backwards.

Blacks are by far the hardest hit by COVID-19. Blacks are disinterested in politics but when they do they vote Democrat 93% of the time. But it's taboo to say blacks aren't taking the corona virus seriously. White counties that voted majority for Trump have less cases per capita than most other counties. Conclusion: Trump supporters aren't taking COVID-19 seriously.

These skeptic logic pretzels are getting weirder and weirder.

Last edited by Baylor; 13th April 2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 13th April 2020, 10:39 PM   #25
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post

This article is nothing more than starting with a conclusion and working backwards.

Blacks are by far the hardest hit by COVID-19. Blacks are disinterested in politics but when they do they vote Democrat 93% of the time. But it's taboo to say blacks aren't taking the corona virus seriously. White counties that voted majority for Trump have less cases per capita than most other counties. Conclusion: Trump supporters aren't taking COVID-19 seriously.

No logic pretzels, just cold, hard data:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/part...ry?id=69781489

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/polit...rus/index.html

https://www.newsweek.com/majority-am...lu-new-1497171

From Trump on down, Republicans are the problem.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 10:57 PM   #26
Baylor
Philosopher

Can you come up with arguments yourself rather than spamming.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:46 PM   #27
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Maybe it has to do with it being older populations, longer first responder response times, underfunded rural hospitals etc.]
Unless response times are measured in of order a day, that won't be a factor of note for ruralites. Decline with respiratory infections progress a bit slower than a heart attack (or bleeding out from gunshot--yeah, that's a dig.)

And as to hospital funding, USAians have foist upon themselves this crazy notion that health care is a for-profit business. Run it lean, and in moments of high demand like this doctors are having to choose who to let live because of unavailability of equipment (respirators.)

Be careful of what excuses you cling to. You could be inadvertently admitting to fundamentally awful policy and process your favored Party espouses.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 11:53 PM   #28
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Are you suggesting you'd put more weight on the opinion of Joe 'interwebs' Rando than the reportage by folk whose job it is to suss out the story--and strive for accuracy lest suits follow or trust erode? And don't rush in with "Fake News!" Accredited new outlets having a good reputation (outside the cult of screeching Trumpists) are well motivated to keep it intact.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 11:55 PM   #29
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Unless response times are measured in of order a day, that won't be a factor of note for ruralites. Decline with respiratory infections progress a bit slower than a heart attack (or bleeding out from gunshot--yeah, that's a dig.)

And as to hospital funding, USAians have foist upon themselves this crazy notion that health care is a for-profit business. Run it lean, and in moments of high demand like this doctors are having to choose who to let live because of unavailability of equipment (respirators.)

Be careful of what excuses you cling to. You could be inadvertently admitting to fundamentally awful policy and process your favored Party espouses.
As I gazed into the abyss, I pondered the bizarre, pretentious post on a skeptic forum, trying diligently -- but with little success -- to decipher the point the individual was trying to communicate.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:58 PM   #30
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Are you suggesting you'd put more weight on the opinion of Joe 'interwebs' Rando than the reportage by folk whose job it is to suss out the story--and strive for accuracy lest suits follow or trust erode? And don't rush in with "Fake News!" Accredited new outlets having a good reputation (outside the cult of screeching Trumpists) are well motivated to keep it intact.
oooooookkkaaay
Old 14th April 2020, 12:55 AM   #31
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's not taboo; just wrong. African Americans are being hardest hit because

1. They have more underlying health conditions like obesity, diabetes,
hypertension, heart disease, etc due to poor health care and the cost of
healthier foods.

2. A-Americans are far more likely to live in crowded urban conditions and in
have more people living in smaller homes (most likely an apartment vs a
house).

3. A-Americans are less likely to work in jobs where they can work from
home and continue to work at 'essential jobs' like grocery stores, fast
food places, and other 'service' oriented jobs.

Quote:
White counties that voted majority for Trump have less cases per capita than most other counties.
Citation?
Old 14th April 2020, 12:57 AM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As I gazed into the abyss, I pondered the bizarre, pretentious post on a skeptic forum, trying diligently -- but with little success -- to decipher the point the individual was trying to communicate.
oooooookkkaaay
The weight of these arguments has thoroughly won me over to your position.
Old 14th April 2020, 01:28 AM   #33
Baylor
Philosopher

It'd be great if those wanting to discuss the link in the OP actually read the link in the OP.
Old 14th April 2020, 02:11 AM   #34
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"Why are we still vaccinating, no one gets the measles anymore!"
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 02:33 AM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's called citing evidence. You should try it some time.
Old 14th April 2020, 03:32 AM   #36
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I know it's tempting, but can we not have this thread fall into the pit of Baylor's usual tiresome, empty race-baiting?
Old 14th April 2020, 06:41 AM   #37
johnny karate

I made the argument.

The links are the evidence for it, something your arguments are unsurprisingly lacking.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 06:44 AM   #38
johnny karate

I know it's tempting, but can we not have this thread fall into the pit of Baylor's usual tiresome, empty race-baiting?
I agree that we should avoid the alt-right race-baiting propaganda, but the evidence proving that Republicans are a dangerous problem during this crisis needs to be repeated at every opportunity and as often as possible.
Old 14th April 2020, 02:37 PM   #39
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I made the argument.

The links are the evidence for it, something your arguments are unsurprisingly lacking.
Just hard data.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hite-and-black

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...most-every-way

''Black America must wake up to this viral threat" CNN Host and 9/11 Truther Van Jones
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/opini...nes/index.html

"Black Americans Face Alarming Rates of Coronavirus Infection in Some States"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/u...irus-race.html
Old 14th April 2020, 02:54 PM   #40
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's called citing evidence. You should try it some time.
m'k

Deaths per one million persons by state + DC, red/blue in 2016 presidential election

Top 10 states
State/DistrictDeaths per 1MElectorate Swung
Wyoming2red
West Virginia5red
Utah6red
Hawai'i6blue
South Dakota7red
Montana7red
Nebraska9red
Texas11red
North Carolina11red
Arkansas11red

Bottom 10 states/district
State/DistrictDeaths per 1MElectorate Swung
New York552blue
New Jersey316blue
Louisiana*217red
Connecticut187blue
Michigan187red
Massachusetts140blue
District of Columbia98blue
Rhode Island76blue
Washington72blue
Illinois68blue

*LA went red but the COVID-19 pandemic has an epicenter in blue parishes.

I'm worried about you Craig, if you care about your safety it's best to head to "Trump country."

Last edited by Baylor; 14th April 2020 at 03:05 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics