ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2020, 06:27 AM   #1
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Issues switching from HDD to SSD

I use a lot of adobe products, after effects, illustrator, ect... so I decided to finally make the switch from old school drive to SSD to help with speed and lag in the apps. First part was tricky as I was switching from 2TB to 1TB. I used veam backup to make a clone and push it to the new one so that size wouldn't be as much of a factor. The problem I am running into is that my computer will not boot from new drive. Being new to the world of SSD I am not familiar with them so I don't know if there is some BIOS changes or something I need to add to get it to boot. I can see the drive in BIOS so I know the computer sees it, and I made sure the boot order was correct. Any next steps you good people could recommend for me?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 06:47 AM   #2
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

How do you know the boot sectors on the new drive are set up correctly?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 06:53 AM   #3
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Good Point, I do not know. I could try a repair of the MBR
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Just brainstorming here. Did you set the boot flag / active flag (or whatever it is) to let the system know what drive to boot from?

You may have cloned the data, but not the settings.
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 07:08 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's been a while, but I'm not sure you can get a bootable OS from a vanilla clone of a drive with a bootable OS on it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 10:31 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm with theprestige as far as the bootable OS.

I stay as far away from cloning as possible just because of the issues it can have with licensing. My normal rule of thumb is move data, not programs. Reinstall the programs and then give it the data.

I would suggest starting fresh with a new copy of windows and then transferring your data over. It will take much longer but you also won't have to worry about many transfer issues. There's a program called transwiz that I've used several times that's great at transferring data.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 10:42 AM   #7
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

I've had success with cloning entire system drives and booting off them, but it was always using the exact same hardware.

I used the EaseUS Todo backup program with good success. Not sure how well that would work going from HDD to SSD.

I also endorse what is said above. If it were me, I'd just do clean install and move files.
Old 9th January 2020, 11:28 AM   #8
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I've had success with cloning entire system drives and booting off them, but it was always using the exact same hardware.

I used the EaseUS Todo backup program with good success. Not sure how well that would work going from HDD to SSD.

I also endorse what is said above. If it were me, I'd just do clean install and move files.

Anecdote : I've used EaseUS Todo to do just that - clone the magnetic HDDs in two different aging machines onto new SSDs and they both booted just fine. I can't remember the specific steps I took, but the process itself is doable. They were both Win7, FWIW.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 12:32 PM   #9
kali1137
Graduate Poster

It definitely works to copy from one working hard drive to another, bootable OS and all. I have used this software to do it many times before. The only things that have changed are the size(going larger to smaller) and the type of hard drive. Doing it this way to swap a hard drive i have never run into a license issue. I only tend to see that when replacing major internal components but mostly when moving to a different PC.
Old 9th January 2020, 01:17 PM   #10
Wudang
BOFH

What really helped me was the free version of this https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
Old 9th January 2020, 01:42 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The painless way is to use Macrium Reflect set up a Windows PE environment on a Bootable USB stick, then to back up your whole HDD to a portable HDD.

Then remove your HDD, install the SSD, boot from the USB to run Windows PE, and then restore the backup to the new SSD from the portable HDD.

I have 11 computers in my business, they are all backed up at least once per week on a schedule. Whenever I have have the occasional l blue screen I don't even bother trying to troubleshoot, I just restore from the backup.

I have used this procedure several times over the last few years and never had a problem.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 03:44 PM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
It definitely works to copy from one working hard drive to another, bootable OS and all. I have used this software to do it many times before. The only things that have changed are the size(going larger to smaller) and the type of hard drive. Doing it this way to swap a hard drive i have never run into a license issue. I only tend to see that when replacing major internal components but mostly when moving to a different PC.
Have you checked your bios settings?
Old 9th January 2020, 04:07 PM   #13
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Anecdote : I've used EaseUS Todo to do just that - clone the magnetic HDDs in two different aging machines onto new SSDs and they both booted just fine. I can't remember the specific steps I took, but the process itself is doable. They were both Win7, FWIW.
Same. I think I used their Partition software to make the bootable partion smaller than the SSD and then cloned that. Tidied up the partitions afterwards as it can leave odd Multi MB partitions floating around.

Would have to agree with Plague311, if you have the install media & keys for the software, or your online details if it's a monthly service, that's an ideal option. It also means that all the data is safe on the original drive and can be copied across as needed
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 06:38 PM   #14
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Once you do get your computer working you can expect it to start up fast. That is you put in your password, press enter and your computer is usable almost immediately. Ditto with other apps that are on your SSD. I suggest you have another hard drive for stuff you do not need to run fast. Like your music files.
Old 12th January 2020, 09:44 PM   #15
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I have cloned HD to SSD multiple times with no problems. The trick is to use one of the free utilities available. Samsung even provide free access to a free utility they support to do this. The Macrium software that was mentioned previously is one of several products that will do the job.

Licensing is no problem. Windows is now smart enough to track licences for itself across hardware changes. If you are entitled to the licence it will reregister.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet