ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags area 51 , bob lazar

Old 3rd August 2019, 02:13 AM   #1
curious cat
Thinker

Bob Lazar and Area 51

Anybody here any opinion on this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpN5PjOxHbo
It is not entirely new, but it seems like there is new wave of interest with the planned invasion of Area 51 by truthers.
curious cat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 03:23 AM   #2
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I was given to understand that the invasion was mostly people having a laugh, rather than anything that people were sincerely planning to do.
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I was given to understand that the invasion was mostly people having a laugh, rather than anything that people were sincerely planning to do.
Some people have a hard time distinguishing between the two.
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:08 AM   #4
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yeah, I think it was begun by people having a laugh, but it is pretty irresponsible really given that that is also how the whole Flat Earth thing got resurrected and that Area 51 is a military base.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:13 PM   #5
mgidm86
Philosopher

I think Bob Lazar threads belong in the nutbar section of the forum.
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I saw a CNN story about the owner of a motel and campground, the closest lodging to Area 51 who said she was booked solid for the dates around the proposed event.
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I think Bob Lazar threads belong in the nutbar section of the forum.
Agreed, needs to be moved to Paranormal.

Skeptic's Magazine did an excellent take-down of Lazar. The guy who wrote the piece and did the work posts here from time to time, and I think a search of the board should turn up multiple threads.
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Some people have a hard time distinguishing between the two.
Sure they do. Name me six or seven billion.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:04 PM   #9
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I saw a CNN story about the owner of a motel and campground, the closest lodging to Area 51 who said she was booked solid for the dates around the proposed event.
Not unlike why, in the days of the Romans, you couldn’t book a room anywhere near a coliseum on a games weekend?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
She's got 6 rooms, the rest will have to camp out:

http://www.littlealeinn.com/

She could sell the place out just by having a van load of tourists break down.
Old 4th August 2019, 09:11 AM   #11
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
She's got 6 rooms, the rest will have to camp out:

http://www.littlealeinn.com/

She could sell the place out just by having a van load of tourists break down.
I had lunch there once. Chicken salad sandwich with potato chips. They couldn't use the grill or deep fryer due to some health and safety paperwork.

Beatty and Tonopah are the next two closest towns and have more rooms, they could use the business. When I lived in Beatty the unemployment rate was around 50%.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:18 AM   #12
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I watched about half of his interview on Joe Rogan. The point at which I turned it off is when he started saying that the detection of gravitational waves proved him right. He went on to say that in the 80s everyone in physics thought that gravity came in gravitons and not gravitational waves, but from working on this alien spacecraft he knew that there were gravitational waves, so the discovery of gravitational waves was confirmation.

That's just ridiculous. Gravitational waves are a straightforward prediction of general relativity. Their experimental discovery is groundbreaking, but no physicist was surprised that they exist. They are also completely consistent with the existence of gravitons, in exactly the same sense as electromagnetic waves are consistent with the existence of photons.

So either he doesn't understand physics or he's ********ting.

He said a bunch of other things that probably sounds reasonable but that make no actual sense, but that was the last straw for me.

The video linked in the OP is supposedly an analysis of his body language to determine whether or not he's lying. I think there are better ways.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 04:41 AM   #13
whoanellie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I watched about half of his interview on Joe Rogan. The point at which I turned it off is when he started saying that the detection of gravitational waves proved him right. He went on to say that in the 80s everyone in physics thought that gravity came in gravitons and not gravitational waves, but from working on this alien spacecraft he knew that there were gravitational waves, so the discovery of gravitational waves was confirmation.

That's just ridiculous. Gravitational waves are a straightforward prediction of general relativity. Their experimental discovery is groundbreaking, but no physicist was surprised that they exist. They are also completely consistent with the existence of gravitons, in exactly the same sense as electromagnetic waves are consistent with the existence of photons.

So either he doesn't understand physics or he's ********ting.

He said a bunch of other things that probably sounds reasonable but that make no actual sense, but that was the last straw for me.

The video linked in the OP is supposedly an analysis of his body language to determine whether or not he's lying. I think there are better ways.
It's been a while since I listened to the interview but my recollection is that Lazar says that gravitational waves were detected by scientists at some government agency which he can't remember. Actually, LIGO was a collaboration between scientists at MIT and Cal Tech funded by NSF. MIT and Cal Tech are the two universities that Lazar has claimed to have master's degrees from but he doesn't know that scientists from the same universities made the discovery that supposedly confirms what he's been saying all these years.

Lazar has claimed to have a master's degree in physics from MIT. Today, you can't apply to MIT to get a master's degree in physics. It's very likely that was also true in the 80's when Lazar would have gotten the degree. That is very typical of hard science departments at major research universities. If he really did have a master's degree in physics from MIT, a likely explanation was that he was had to leave the Ph.D. program and was given the master's degree as a parting gift. If it was real, the master's degree would be a red flag that he had not been successful at MIT.

On another note, he describes his coworker at area 51 as his "lab partner" as if it were a high school biology class.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 02:41 PM   #14
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
Lazar has claimed to have a master's degree in physics from MIT. Today, you can't apply to MIT to get a master's degree in physics.
From http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/g...html#faq.acad7
"The Department of Physics does offer the option of a Master's Degree."

Last edited by WhatRoughBeast; 7th August 2019 at 02:44 PM.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 03:16 PM   #15
whoanellie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
From http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/g...html#faq.acad7
"The Department of Physics does offer the option of a Master's Degree."
That's interesting, but I don't believe it contradicts what I said. Anyone who receives a master's degree in physics from MIT originally applied to the Ph.D. program and then, for some reason, did not complete the program. In my experience the choice to not complete the Ph.D. and receive a master's degree is often made with the encouragement of the faculty.
Here's the full quote from the MIT website:
"I am not sure that I want to continue in the Ph.D. program--can I receive a Master's Degree instead?
The Department of Physics does offer the option of a Master's Degree. Students who would like to switch to Master's Status should send an e-mail to Academic Programs requesting the change in status. The Registrar's Office will be notified and your terminal degree will be changed."
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 03:25 PM   #16
whoanellie
Critical Thinker

I found this on the MIT Graduate Admissions website:
*The Master's Degree in Physics is available in special cases only (e.g., US military officers).
So "in special cases" you can apply to MIT to get a master's degree in Physics. Certainly Lazar doesn't have a master's degree in anything from either MIT or Cal Tech. His claim to have a master's from MIT in physics demonstrates how deeply unaware he is of the culture and practice of science.
Old 14th August 2019, 01:18 AM   #17
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

And don''t forget how many media people there'll be. I'm betting there will be more people filming it than taking part...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 06:27 PM   #18
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

I tried to watch this out of boredom and hopeful entertainment value. I lasted about 15 mins. No entertainment value to be found. It was boring, very sloppy and choppy, and whoever was in charge of the cameras should be fired. Wait, shot in the kneecaps then fired.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 06:30 PM   #19
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, I think it was begun by people having a laugh, but it is pretty irresponsible really given that that is also how the whole Flat Earth thing got resurrected and that Area 51 is a military base.
? It is. Or more precisely, a military "installation" (not a full-up base).
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology