ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th August 2019, 10:33 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Fox News anchor recites El Paso shooters manifesto's talking points

Hey look, A Faux News anchor is now unironically repeating the El Paso shooter's manifesto as a legitimate call to alarm.

Quote:
Pirro promoted the so-called “great replacement theory” during a Thursday radio appearance with Fox Nation host Todd Starnes, who recently compared Hispanic immigrants to “Nazi” invaders two weeks after a white supremacist mass shooter targeted people of color in an El Paso, Texas Walmart.

“Their plan and their plot to remake America is to bring in the illegals, change the way the voting occurs in this country, give them licenses, they get to vote maybe once, maybe twice, maybe three times,” Pirro wildly claimed after accusing Democrats of using this plan in an attempt to “get rid of” Trump and “the people like you and me who put him into office.”

“You’ve got motor voter registration on the day of the election, we’ve got voter rolls that haven’t been purged of dead people in years, where the Democrats have resisted that,” she added. “Think about that, it is a plot to remake America. To replace American citizens with illegals.”
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 11:02 PM   #2
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Jeanine Pirro discovers that she had booked a vacation for a week, next week, in 3...2...1...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #3
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That woman is a feral piece of gutter trash... and to think, she was once a prosecutor and a sitting judge, holding her racist and bigoted views while holding people's very lives in her hands! Sickening and frightening!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th August 2019 at 04:11 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:31 PM   #4
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That woman is a feral piece of gutter trash... and to think, she was once a prosecutor and a sitting judge, holding her racist and bigoted views while holding people's very lives in her hands! Sickening and frightening!
An example of what you get when Judges are political appointees or elected to the position.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd prefer elected judges to what's happened to the Supreme Court in the last four years.
Old 30th August 2019, 05:55 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd prefer elected judges to what's happened to the Supreme Court in the last four years.
There is nothing wrong with having politically appointed judges, so long as the appointment process is arranged to eliminate unsuitable judges such as Clarence Thomas and Drunky McRapeface.

This would mean disallowing the nuclear option to force appointments through, and a very high majority, say 80 out of 100 Senate votes to confirm. Such a system would prevent politicians like Moscow Mitch jamming the benches with partisan judges.

Over a period of years, this would lead to Presidents not bothering to nominate judges they know won't pass muster, as well as people who might be eyeing a Federal Judgeship realising that if they show their partisan colours, they are not going to make the cut.

There have been plenty of judges in the past who have be voted in by the Senate in the 90 to 100 votes range, I see no reason why it cannot happen again.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 06:12 PM   #7
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing wrong with having politically appointed judges, so long as the appointment process is arranged to eliminate unsuitable judges such as Clarence Thomas and Drunky McRapeface.
Personally I prefer our system where Judges are selected and recommended by a non-partisan board based on their qualifications.

True, it still not perfect, but it's better than political appointment or election, imo.

Old 31st August 2019, 01:20 AM   #8
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Where do you think we got those Supremes? They're a product of the electoral system. Some of those judges that are on the Final Approved List have been paid for, lock stock and beer barrel, by the conservative think tanks that recommend them.

The answer is not more-better elected judges. It is removing party politics for the Judicial Branch.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:09 AM   #9
Parsman
Muse

But apparently there are still places in the USA where you can be elected a judge with no law degree or legal training of any sort. I know the Trump base and the Breixteer loonies here are strongly opposed to experts (i.e. people who know stuff) but isn't that taking things a bit too far?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:23 AM   #10
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Wonder if Pirro is in favour of sending all second-generation illegals back to Mexico. After all, Trump's latest legislation to deny children born outside the USA citizenship would make her "Lebanese". And she hasn't been shy at declaiming that Lebanese migration applicants should all be sent back where they came from.

Quote:
A daughter of Lebanese-American parents, Ms. Pirro was raised Catholic in blue-collar Elmira, N.Y. Her mother was born in the United States, but spent much of her childhood in Beirut, where she later met Ms. Pirro’s father, a veteran of the United States Navy, after World War II.
Quote:
...Lebanese-American parents Nasser "Leo" and Esther Ferris (née Awad)
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:30 AM   #11
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
There is an important point to make about the subject line. Pirro is not a news anchor but the host of a commentary show.

That's not at all to say this isn't to say that her comments are not reprehensible. They are. But I genuinely was shocked to see that someone in the news division would make such comments, an anchor no less, until I read the first post.

The commentary hosts have incredible influence and I'm not ignoring the importance of these comments. But it's not the same as a news anchor saying the same thing.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 07:04 AM   #12
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The commentary hosts have incredible influence and I'm not ignoring the importance of these comments. But it's not the same as a news anchor saying the same thing.

Especially considering that the commentary hosts have a history of shaping the news that Fox reports.

For example, an anchor reported on one class in one school singing a song about historically significant African-Americans, including a verse about President Obama. A few hours later, a commentary hosts ranted about children being forced to sing the praises of President Obama, with comparisons to North Korea. A few hours after that, an anchor reported on people being outraged over children being forced to sing songs praising President Obama.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 09:43 AM   #13
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Let’s not get too excited, everyone.

Remember, liberals are the real racists.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Let’s not get too excited, everyone.

Remember, liberals are the real racists.
Indeed. The reason twitter won't use an algorithm to auto-ban neo-Nazis the way it does with ISIS is because Democrat politicians would get swept up in it.

No, no, wait, that was Republican politicians.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
But apparently there are still places in the USA where you can be elected a judge with no law degree or legal training of any sort. I know the Trump base and the Breixteer loonies here are strongly opposed to experts (i.e. people who know stuff) but isn't that taking things a bit too far?

The downside of this is less than the downside of allowing those in power to forbid some citizens from running.

The only allowed qualifications are those required by the constitution, as determined by supermajority of the people.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I can't believe that empty-headed moron made judge.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 09:58 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Where do you think we got those Supremes? They're a product of the electoral system. Some of those judges that are on the Final Approved List have been paid for, lock stock and beer barrel, by the conservative think tanks that recommend them.

The answer is not more-better elected judges. It is removing party politics for the Judicial Branch.
+1.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There are barriers for entry for all jobs. I think that "having to know about the law" is a reasonable barrier for a judge.
Old 4th September 2019, 01:05 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That's Ex Fox News Anchor. She has been suspeneded since her remarks on how a Muslim could not be a good American back in March.
Pretty sure this outburst will guarantee she will not be back on Fox news anytime soon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:06 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

FOrm what I have read, it was only after she left the Bench she went off the rails politically.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:30 PM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
FOrm what I have read, it was only after she left the Bench she went off the rails politically.
It surely pays better than wearing the robe did.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:36 PM   #22
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

That's Ex Fox News Anchor. She has been suspeneded since her remarks on how a Muslim could not be a good American back in March.
Pretty sure this outburst will guarantee she will not be back on Fox news anytime soon.
I believe that was only for a couple of weeks in March. She came back and I think she's still there....pending today's events, of course.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:38 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I am pretty sure in New York City (and,though technicaly separate,Westchester is a part of NYC for all practical purporses) Pirro never would have gotten seated if her opinions had been known.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th September 2019, 01:41 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I believe that was only for a couple of weeks in March. She came back and I think she's still there....pending today's events, of course.
True, but given she attacked Fox Management in her rant yesterday, I suspect she will not be around very long on FOx News.It's not so much her opinions themselves, but she did not disguise them enough with weasel words.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 4th September 2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:25 PM   #25
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that a leaked Congressional Republican memo shows suggested answers to questions about gun violence - most notably that when being asked about white nationalism the thing to do is to blame the left for gun violence
Old 6th September 2019, 04:31 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The entire left? I thought Obama and Clinton were the blame go to's for this WH.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 05:31 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am really looking forward to the meltdown when that film on the Fox News Sex Scandals opens....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:33 PM   #28
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The entire left? I thought Obama and Clinton were the blame go to's for this WH.
Well come on, if us lefties would just let them ethnically-cleanse the United States into an all-white nation, white nationalists wouldn't keep having to massacre Walmarts full of brown replacers.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 05:43 PM   #29
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Well, after this it's pretty clear that Trump supporters are all the Walmart shooter without the courage of their convictions. In a way this makes me optimistic. If the stupid bitch did try to hold onto power after losing the election, it's clear his supporters lack the bravery to get the guns they can't afford and bought with a high-interest credit card and come to his defense. Trump supporters, they just aren't real Americans, they aren't as good as us.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:19 AM   #30
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I am really looking forward to the meltdown when that film on the Fox News Sex Scandals opens....
The reviews from conservative media outlets have already been written.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 03:06 PM   #31
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The reviews from conservative media outlets have already been written.
Let me guess: FAKE NEWS! NEVER HAPPENED! BILL CLINTON!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics