ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 9th September 2019, 08:11 PM   #2401
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

A few months ago, in a thread on making predictions, I said I wasn't sure Trump would be in the next election. I am now upgrading that from its original vague formlessness to a real-world probability greater than 50% that he will not.

Remember, it's not about how bad his state is now. It's about how fast it's sliding, how obvious that is to the people around him, how embarrassing the coming stages would be for him if they happened in public view, and how long he or they can delay the inevitable and still use whatever excuse they come up with whenever the time comes.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 12:14 AM   #2402
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
A few months ago, in a thread on making predictions, I said I wasn't sure Trump would be in the next election. I am now upgrading that from its original vague formlessness to a real-world probability greater than 50% that he will not.

Remember, it's not about how bad his state is now. It's about how fast it's sliding, how obvious that is to the people around him, how embarrassing the coming stages would be for him if they happened in public view, and how long he or they can delay the inevitable and still use whatever excuse they come up with whenever the time comes.
I've been saying similar, that it's his decline even compared to 2017 or 2018. What would be bleakly amusing is how those in denial will eventually have to spin it. Or even if he will go without them invoking the 25th.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 12:36 AM   #2403
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it myself

I mean it's clear to me that President Trump isn't fit to be President but as far as I can see, there hasn't been a sharp or sudden decline in his faculties since he's been President. He's the same inarticulate, blowhard, ignoramus that he's always been, with single syllable slogans to motivate his base, picking fights over the smallest thing left, right and centre and trolling the media and US centre and left.

As long as he can deliver his base (and apart from him drooling in a chair pooping himself I can't see what he can do to turn them away) then that's a solid 25% the GOP needs.

If he takes part in an election debate, babbling semi-coherently, as long as he occasionally throw in the key messages of "Christian justices", "Building the wall", "Great economy", "Winning the trade war" and so on, his base will consider it a win.

If he also manages a couple of personal attacks on top then, as far as his base are concerned, then so much the better.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 01:57 AM   #2404
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump might very well withdraw if his support among Republicans drops off - he could say he is going to do a Grover Cleveland and come back in 2024.
Or his family might just have him committed to a mental institution that doesn't allow you to tweet.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:01 AM   #2405
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump might very well withdraw if his support among Republicans drops off - he could say he is going to do a Grover Cleveland and come back in 2024.
Or his family might just have him committed to a mental institution that doesn't allow you to tweet.
I doubt whether Trump has even heard of Grover Cleveland, much less the nonconsecutive terms.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:46 AM   #2406
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I doubt whether Trump has even heard of Grover Cleveland, much less the nonconsecutive terms.
Sure he has, it's in Ohio. He won there bigly in 2016.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:24 PM   #2407
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Once again, Trump has referred to the 'Tallahassee Trail' when he actually meant "Appalachian Trail' when attacking Mark Sanford. When he realized he'd repeated the same error as last summer, he quickly corrected himself but then put his arse right back in the frying pan by claiming the Tallahassee Train 'is nice too'. There is no such things as the Tallahassee Trail. That man just doesn't know when to shut up.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 06:52 PM   #2408
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Once again, Trump has referred to the 'Tallahassee Trail' when he actually meant "Appalachian Trail' when attacking Mark Sanford. When he realized he'd repeated the same error as last summer, he quickly corrected himself but then put his arse right back in the frying pan by claiming the Tallahassee Train 'is nice too'. There is no such things as the Tallahassee Trail. That man just doesn't know when to shut up.
He's going to order the Park Service to change the name of the Appalachian Trail next.
Old 10th September 2019, 07:44 PM   #2409
Stacyhs
Philosopher

He's going to order the Park Service to change the name of the Appalachian Trail next.
No, he'll order Sanford's aide who claimed he was on the Appalachian Trail to say he really meant to say Tallahassee Trail so Trump is right.
Old 10th September 2019, 07:59 PM   #2410
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No, he'll order Sanford's aide who claimed he was on the Appalachian Trail to say he really meant to say Tallahassee Trail so Trump is right.
Either of these things would be hilariously awesome.

Or at least awesomely hilarious.

Do you think he could make it stick? The Tallahassee Trail?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 08:33 PM   #2411
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

If he also manages to extend the trail from Springer Mtn down to Tallahassee, sure.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 08:47 PM   #2412
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
If he also manages to extend the trail from Springer Mtn down to Tallahassee, sure.
You're completely missing the point.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 01:00 AM   #2413
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"Here's a map of with the Appamachiur Train's name written in sharpie, which proves FAKE NEWS!".
Old 11th September 2019, 04:20 AM   #2414
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
LOL. No, I am not. And let me add this "If he also manages to extend the trail from Springer Mtn down to Tallahassee with a sharpie", sure.

LMFAO!!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:09 PM   #2415
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Either of these things would be hilariously awesome.

Or at least awesomely hilarious.

I wouldn't be surprised if his base believes there really is a Tallahassee Trail. It's just been mislabeled on the maps by the Democrats!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 11th September 2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:52 AM   #2416
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Of course there's a Tallahassee Trail. There was a shooting there just a few weeks ago!
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:02 AM   #2417
Bob001
Philosopher

I wouldn't be surprised if his base believes there really is a Tallahassee Trail. It's just been mislabeled on the maps by the Democrats!
Well, there is a Florida Trail. And it passes near Tallahassee. Trump could claim he's just calling it by the local nickname.
https://www.floridatrail.org/florida...ic-trail/fnst/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:55 AM   #2418
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

There was a Tallahassee Trail in Alabama but it was destroyed in the recent hurricane.
Old 12th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #2419
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it myself
I'm kind of here, too. Even following Tom Joseph's methodical take-downs of Trump dementia indicators on Twitter – which I can plainly see as described – I'm not seeing anything different to convince me that he's getting worse.

Good heavens – remember the sniffing and the prowling around behind Clinton during the debates? Dude was clearly unhinged then.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 04:23 PM   #2420
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hard to determine what is deterioration and what is simply more opportunities to see him slurring his words and doing stupid things like being unable to close an umbrella.

This is the kind of assessment one would need to observe Trump more closely, like his family might notice changes.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:31 PM   #2421
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hard to determine what is deterioration and what is simply more opportunities to see him slurring his words and doing stupid things like being unable to close an umbrella.

This is the kind of assessment one would need to observe Trump more closely, like his family might notice changes.
Only if they care enough about him to pay attention
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 01:23 PM   #2422
Bob001
Philosopher

They don't have to care about him. They just have to know him, like former butt-licker Anthony Scaramucci:
Quote:
I think the guy is losing it, mentally. He has declining mental faculties; he’s becoming more petulant; he’s becoming more impetuous. Okay, you see just by the way he’s sweating, his body’s not doing well. It’s obviously not a guy that takes care of himself, right? And he doesn’t listen to anybody. And just think about this, okay? There’s no one—there’s no Jim Mattis; there’s no Gary Cohn; there’s no one to check him anymore. Whatever my differences were with General John Kelly, after he left, this thing has completely unspooled.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...nterview-trump
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 01:26 PM   #2423
Bob001
Philosopher

The evidence piles up: Trump, hero of 9/11.
https://www.salon.com/2019/09/13/tru...that-happened/
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/29/u...dzyafEnZps2QRE
Old 14th September 2019, 03:47 PM   #2424
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
They don't have to care about him. They just have to know him, like former butt-licker Anthony Scaramucci:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...nterview-trump
On twitter, I said that it was interesting that the snake has decided it's profitable to turn on the other snake.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 05:11 PM   #2425
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They probably notice, but they aren't going to say anything.
Old 14th September 2019, 07:48 PM   #2426
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It's interesting to speculate what might happen here. My guess is that the Republicans will stick with Trump as long as RBG is alive and on the bench, because for the possibility of getting another conservative on the Supreme Court they'd let themselves be sodomized by Satan; but once that's done, or it's too late to do it, they'll join the Gadarene stampede and avow they never liked the yellow fellow anyway. No, not I. I was fighting from within. Silent hero, secretly resisting.

My other guess is that the Democrats are slow to impeach not only because they know Moscow Mitch will cause them to lose but because they hope Trump melts down first, and thus saves them from a difficult process which, aside from being controversial, could well become a nasty habit for losers to unelect their opponents - something those who predict a Democratic win in 2020 would rather not see.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:09 PM   #2427
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
... a difficult process which, aside from being controversial, could well become a nasty habit for losers to unelect their opponents - something those who predict a Democratic win in 2020 would rather not see.
I think it's safe to say that any democratic president who's not fantastically paranoid about even the vaguest appearance of a hint of any possible impropriety regarding anything at all will be impeached, if the Republicans think they might profit from it.

"Norms" are for suckers to these folks.
Old 15th September 2019, 02:08 AM   #2428
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I think it's safe to say that any democratic president who's not fantastically paranoid about even the vaguest appearance of a hint of any possible impropriety regarding anything at all will be impeached, if the Republicans think they might profit from it.

"Norms" are for suckers to these folks.
Hipocricy and double standards are the norm for Republicans.

Hound Hillary to the Hobbs of Hell over Bengazzi, to no result whatsoever. And the email thing. But the 2-year Mueller investigation reaps multiple charges, guilty pleas and convictions, easily pays for itself from seized property, and finds evidence of Trump's obstruction a thousand prosecutors have declared they'd confidently charge. But ignore all that, the R's have.

On the State level, Gerrymander the hell out of the districts, close polling stations, strike voters from the rolls en mass, even engage in outright ballot chicanery, all to cling to power by means undemocratic and foul. And when they lose a Governorship, rewrite the rules in the lame duck session so as to strip the D's of power they would jealously guard for themselves.

I could go on. It really is a struggle now to stave off the death of democracy in the US.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 02:20 AM   #2429
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Doesn't matter. Those who care about facts are already anti-President Trump.

Those who are willing to consider that these stories may be true have already drunk the Kool Aid.

For 40% - 45% of the electorate, Trump heroically provided workers
Old 15th September 2019, 07:50 AM   #2430
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

As long as upwards of 80% of Republican voters support Trump, Republican officials have little choice but to back him. Paul Ryan said that, that Republican voters had spoken very clearly and they want Trump. It's why Ryan quit!
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 08:38 PM   #2431
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
As long as upwards of 80% of Republican voters support Trump, Republican officials have little choice but to back him. Paul Ryan said that, that Republican voters had spoken very clearly and they want Trump. It's why Ryan quit!
not until after he betrayed everything he stood for.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics