ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2019 elections , Dan Bishop , Dan McCready , North Carolina elections , North Carolina politics

Old 10th September 2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

NC 9th - Last House Race of 2018

At this point, with many more votes left to come from the Democratic area in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte 'burbs), it looks like McCready (Dem) will take this red district.

The GOP in that area is rather creative, of course, (it's why we're having this special election) so they may pull twenty thousand votes out of their asses, but right now, it looks like another Democratic Party steal. The big GOP county, Union, has been counted and Bishop (R) holds a less-than-2000 vote lead, but with Mecklenburg only half-counted, McCready should pick up about a 5000 vote plurality.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
At this point, with many more votes left to come from the Democratic area in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte 'burbs), it looks like McCready (Dem) will take this red district.

The GOP in that area is rather creative, of course, (it's why we're having this special election) so they may pull twenty thousand votes out of their asses, but right now, it looks like another Democratic Party steal. The big GOP county, Union, has been counted and Bishop (R) holds a less-than-2000 vote lead, but with Mecklenburg only half-counted, McCready should pick up about a 5000 vote plurality.
I don't know, it looks really tight to me. Do you have something more recent than this?

GOP
Bishop, Dan

50.47 %

Dem
McCready, Dan

48.94 %

78.6 % precincts reporting, but I know nothing of the political demographics of the remaining 21.4%.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Sorry, meant to include a link:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...ecial-election
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

They either misreported earlier or they're recounting some red districts. At the point I started the thread they showed all but one of the red counties as complete. Pro-rata, there weren't enough Bishop votes left to compensate for a big lead that the Dems would take in Charlotte. There was only a +1500 count in Bishop's favor.

Oh, well! This is why I'm not a panelist on CNN!

ETA: I don't know the precinct by precinct makeup. It's possible that there are red precincts in the blue counties and those were the missing votes in Mecklenburg, because the final count should've been closer. A whole lot of votes showed up from a solidly red county, too. Not claiming shenanigans. Explaining my miscalculation.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 10th September 2019 at 07:20 PM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 07:17 PM   #5
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Some pundits were saying that this NC race would be a bellwether for 2020. Trump was saying that it wouldn't matter.

I predict that if/when the Republican wins, Trump will say that this is a bellwether after all.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 04:26 AM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Some pundits were saying that this NC race would be a bellwether for 2020. Trump was saying that it wouldn't matter.

I predict that if/when the Republican wins, Trump will say that this is a bellwether after all.
Trump took it by 12 points in 2016, he'll be lucky if he wins it by 2, so that "bellweather" is a 10 point swing against him.

Trump might spin it up and talk big, but inside, I'll bet he is crapping himself!

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th September 2019 at 04:29 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:02 AM   #7
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News is spinning it that Trump helped sweep the special elections in NC.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:40 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Republicans: Openly and unapologetically cheat to the point that the entire election gets thrown out and redone.
Republicans: Win again, just by less.
Democrats: Well this is obviously a win for us.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:40 AM   #9
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

Naah! Trump's too busy lining up minions to say Donnie Johnny carried the day! If that's the best they can do, flying in most of the administration at the 11th hour and winning by a half-point, then the Dems are right to be pleased by the results. This is a gerrymandered red district. Statewide if the Dems improve by 10% in North Carolina, you can move those electoral votes into the blue column.

Georgia GOPpers should get worried, too.

Old 12th September 2019, 07:29 AM   #10
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think the takeaway is that the Dems couldn't turn out the vote to get rid of Trump.

The Dem politicians are much more angry at Trump than the general voter.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:39 AM   #11
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I think it's hard to make any firm conclusion about the general electorate from this special election. Some might want to read in bad news for Trump, being that a double digit margin Republican electorate came down to a very close election, but I'm not sure you can read it that way. The other circumstances, being a special election and the scandal of the election fraud by the prior candidate, are probably playing a big role that doesn't translate to a general election.

The Republicans are bragging about winning a close election in what should be a safe district by 10+ points. They aren't stupid, but it is probably better to brag about narrow victories than to publicly admit nervousness.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:40 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I think the my takeaway is that the Dems couldn't turn out the vote to get rid of Trump.

The Dem politicians are much more angry at Trump than the general voter.
FTFY

In no way does this opinion reflect the consensus of the American public. This is a predominantly Republican district that has almost flipped. I have no doubts that things will change during the next vote.

I'm most excited to see what happens in Florida with those kids being voting age this next time around. It'll be the first time my daughter gets to vote too. The younger vote is starting to pop up here and there. I wouldn't be shocked if they play a much larger role .

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics